Just want to add PhysX to my system.

Taldren

Gawd
This is a two part question ...

1) Can you still use a nVidia card for PhysX with a primary AMD/ATI card as your display card?

2) What nVidia card would you recommend just to perform PhysX acceleration?

Been trying to do my own research on this, but it seems for a time nVidia made this impossible, but then reversed course and just said it wasn't recommened.

I don't think you can use PhysX with a primary AMD card. I have had dedicated cards for PhysX in my current machine and my last machine, but I have only played two games that actually used it; Mirror's Edge and Cryostasis. I don't think it is a particularly good investment right now.

Look into the GenL physx patch - it will let you use an AMD card with a NV dedicated physx GPU. There is no official option here -- you have to use hacked NV drivers. I used to run an 8800GT with a 5870 using those drivers (for Batman AA), but as P4Power said before it wasn't even worth the extra power consumption. Do some research on what games you are going to play that actually make use of gpu physx. Batman AC is probably the only game released this year that's worth having a physx card for.

Back