Just upgraded to windows 8, it thinks my processor is x64

Hey, so I just upgraded to windows 8 pro from windows 7 ultimate, and i ran wei and it said my processor is x64 based when it isnt. Help?

What processor? It would have to be pretty old to NOT support x64.

Did you install the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 8?

Hey, so I just upgraded to windows 8 pro from windows 7 ultimate, and i ran wei and it said my processor is x64 based when it isnt. Help?

Your i5 is a 64bit processor. AMD started AMD64 back in 2003 with their opterons and Intel started Intel64 with their Xeons. And filtered down to their mainstream processors a year after their server releases.

Since you can't upgrade 32-bit Win7 to 64-bit Win8, I'm quite confused about what the OP is ranting about in the first place.

my processor is 64 bit, x86, right? and i have 64 bit windows, and it says my processor is x64, isnt x64 32 bit?

No, x86 is 32 bit, and x64 is 64bit. Technically, x64 is x86-64, but is generally shortened down to x64.

Be nice to the new guys people. :) Let's educate, not tear down.

my processor is 64 bit, x86, right? and i have 64 bit windows, and it says my processor is x64, isnt x64 32 bit?
Welcome to Windows 8!

Your signature doesn't say how much RAM you have, but unless your system is 64 bit no matter how much RAM you put into it, it will only ever be able to see less than 4 gigs of it.

I don't know what "wei" is, but here's a handy short cut to know that can also confirm you've got a 64 bit OS and an x64 processor. Move the mouse cursor to the bottom left corner of the screen, as if you were going to open the Start Screen, but Right click when the Start Screen thumbnail pops up. (You can also invoke this pop up menu by pressing Windows Key + X) From the pop up menu choose "System" and see what it says about your PC. Since you've got a 64 bit OS installed the System screen should show all of your RAM as installed.

Oops! Still shaking off the effects of Friday night! The light finally went on that wei = Windows Experience Index!

Please ignore this post!

Coffee! I need more coffee!

Last edited:
As others have said, your cpu is x64. But all intel/amd x64 cpus can also run 32-bit OSes. x64 Windows can also run 32-bit programs in addition to x64 programs, so you should install x64 Windows to use more than around 4GBs of ram and for security improvements. (generally, there are some rare 32-bit programs that don't run or have ancient 16-bit installers that no longer run on x64, but probably you will not see these.)

Back