Just upgraded to Mint 21

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Kept waiting for it to show up in Update Manager but it never did so I upgraded via the cli. What a long drawn out process it turned out to be. Thought the questions would never end. Had to remove or convert a ton of PPA's, had ti interact with both the GUI upgrader and the cli even tho one was on top of the other. When I finally finished and rebooted several of my programs were gone including Angry IP scanner. They all reinstalled without issues but why delete them to begin with? Previous upgrades weren't like this. Not sure I see any real differences but that's OK, I hate change for the sake of change only, (A.K.A. Windows). Maybe I'll find something different in time.

I also did a fresh install on another system a couple of days ago and it was as easy as usual. Guess my main rig needs babying.

Long Live Linux.

Kept waiting for it to show up in Update Manager but it never did so I upgraded via the cli. What a long drawn out process it turned out to be. Thought the questions would never end. Had to remove or convert a ton of PPA's, had ti interact with both the GUI upgrader and the cli even tho one was on top of the other. When I finally finished and rebooted several of my programs were gone including Angry IP scanner. They all reinstalled without issues but why delete them to begin with? Previous upgrades weren't like this. Not sure I see any real differences but that's OK, I hate change for the sake of change only, (A.K.A. Windows). Maybe I'll find something different in time.

I also did a fresh install on another system a couple of days ago and it was as easy as usual. Guess my main rig needs babying.

Long Live Linux.
So.. you didn't read the release notes for something you were so eagerly awaiting AND THEN you said there were no changes AND THEN complained about no changes because windows changes things for the sake of it?

Your post is all over the place.

Lulz. Is this a cult or something? Hate to break it to you, but Microsoft has created the gold standard of desktop operating systems. Until you can match that and surpass it your desktop Linux isn't going anywhere but niche.
He has no luck with Linux and complains pretty often about it. He hates it, but keeps using it. His programs don't install properly, but he keeps using it.

Lulz. Is this a cult or something? Hate to break it to you, but Microsoft has created the gold standard of desktop operating systems. Until you can match that and surpass it your desktop Linux isn't going anywhere but niche.
I don't post here a lot, but it's pretty obvious you come into Linux threads just to troll and can be safely ignored. If you have any posts on this site that contain original and useful content, please post a link to change my mind.

It's pretty easy to just stay out of a Linux subforum if you don't like Linux, but whatever.
Anyway, to address the OP, It seems a little strange to profess not liking change for change's sake, yet be describing doing just that.

I'm on 20.04 20.3 on many of my DC crunchers and one work desktop, and would do this upgrade if there were any tangible benefits. It doesn't sound as if you did any before/after testing, but if you notice anything different, it would be interesting to know about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on 20.04 20.3 on many of my DC crunchers and one work desktop, and would do this upgrade if there were any tangible benefits. It doesn't sound as if you did any before/after testing, but if you notice anything different, it would be interesting to know about.
I could not establish an internet connection via ethernet port on my ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PRO mobo with v20, but I can with 21 just fine; so 21 seems to have better driver support. I actually switched to ubuntu briefly before the release of 21 because of the issue. The better driver support is so far the only difference I've noticed though.

I could not establish an internet connection via ethernet port on my ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PRO mobo with v20, but I can with 21 just fine; so 21 seems to have better driver support. I actually switched to ubuntu briefly before the release of 21 because of the issue. The better driver support is so far the only difference I've noticed though.

I installed Mint 21 as soon as it was available. I have it on vmware player now. Everything went smooth and no issues so far as the OS goes. The only issue I have now is with Brave as scrolling is choppy. Not so with Firefox.

Mint major release upgrades are the single most puzzling thing about Mint to me. For a distro that sells itself as the easy to use beginner's distro, which to be fair it really is in a LOT of ways, how the upgrade experience is still a broken mess is just beyond me. What makes it even more puzzling, is the fact that Ubuntu has had upgrades working smoothly for years, and Mint is based on Ubuntu. I understand Mint changes a lot of things, but at the end of the day most of that is surface level DE type stuff and their Xapps. The core OS isn't really changed all that much from Ubuntu, so what is the problem?

I haven't found my Mint upgrades to be overly problematic, but then again I haven't used Ubuntu desktop much at all. I wonder if Mint's rejection of the Snap Store has anything to do with the differences in upgrade experience.

The last upgrade showed up in Update Manager and I don't remember it being difficult at all. No so using the upgrade tool. My biggest complaint is not that it was difficult but it took a long time and had to be baby sat because of all the popup questions and times when it stopped and required addressing the cli to continue. The whole process could stand a lot of improvement. Still love mint tho.

I haven't found my Mint upgrades to be overly problematic, but then again I haven't used Ubuntu desktop much at all. I wonder if Mint's rejection of the Snap Store has anything to do with the differences in upgrade experience.
I used to be a Mint user, until an update totally hosed the system. Honestly, Mint as a distro is over rated.

I used to be a Mint user, until an update totally hosed the system. Honestly, Mint as a distro is over rated.
I like mint, but it's also the only real distro I've tried extensively. There are some quirks, but overall it felt pretty polished.

That said, I can echo your sentiments reference updates. Every major update caused me issues and I was stuck at grub on reboot. All of them.

Hmm, what you do you recommend, then? Good ol' Debian?
Before I stopped using my signature system, that's exactly what I used. Once I get my system running I do plan on running Manjaro but probably on its own SSD so I can keep the Debian system in reserve.

While I used to be a huge fan of Slackware, the constant mistakes I made resulting in hosing the system made me hunt for a distro that had better package management. I've used Debian, Redhat, and SuSE the most of distros with package management and I've always gone back to Debian. The big gotcha is Debian stable doesn't load the non-free packages unless you explicitly tell it to so it's also the least friendly thanks to that restriction.

Before I stopped using my signature system, that's exactly what I used. Once I get my system running I do plan on running Manjaro but probably on its own SSD so I can keep the Debian system in reserve.

While I used to be a huge fan of Slackware, the constant mistakes I made resulting in hosing the system made me hunt for a distro that had better package management. I've used Debian, Redhat, and SuSE the most of distros with package management and I've always gone back to Debian. The big gotcha is Debian stable doesn't load the non-free packages unless you explicitly tell it to so it's also the least friendly thanks to that restriction.
What do you mean "with package management"? I know it's mean apt or dkpg or Pacman or whatever, but I guess I'm wondering how you would function without it.

Interesting, it's Ubuntu LTS under the hood, but without apt, is that right?
Sort of...

It's Ubuntu LTS under the hood with some changes. Apt is still used as the package manager, but there are subtle changes. For example, when you add a PPA there's no need to do a 'sudo apt update', it's done automatically - Which makes sense IMO. There's also no 'sudo apt upgrade', instead you use 'sudo pkcon update', which I prefer as pkcon has a better interface in terminal.

Essentially it's a fairly bare bones packaged OS, no Libre Office supplied with this one. But it runs a rolling release DE based on the newest features from the KDE team, with features becoming more bleeding edge at the expense of stability as you move from the user edition through to the testing edition and the unstable edition. I use my PC for work, so the user edition is bleeding edge enough for me and I've never encountered a problem.

What do you mean "with package management"? I know it's mean apt or dkpg or Pacman or whatever, but I guess I'm wondering how you would function without it.
Slackware extracted tarballs for installs. You were (at one point, don't know about now) responsible for determining the dependencies and untarballing them as well.

As a relative noob, getting caught in dependency hell has on occasion been the bane of my existence. Sounds like distros such as KDE neon try to eliminate this problem.

Hmm, what you do you recommend, then? Good ol' Debian?
Personally I recommend Fedora if you are beyond the beginner stage. I've been using it for almost two years now, and I absolutely love it. Some aspects aren't as user friendly as Ubuntu, but I've yet to have it break on me. I like that it uses default DE's that I can customize how I want, and I like that it's packages tend get updated more rapidly than on Ubuntu.

For my Linux crunchers I was thinking about trying Mint Xfce Edition. I only remote into them and might benefit from a more minimal GUI to help it stay responsive.
But for the one desktop I do use almost every day I was wondering if something else might be more interesting. I'm not really unhappy with Mint Cinnamon though, and since I am familiar with Ubuntu I would hesitate to move too far away from it. Fedora counting Linus Torvalds in its userbase is definitely a feather in its cap though.
Someday I am going to switch my home desktop to some version of Linux also, but my main work desktop will be harder, since it runs several pieces of Windows only software that are essential for the business.

For my Linux crunchers I was thinking about trying Mint Xfce Edition. I only remote into them and might benefit from a more minimal GUI to help it stay responsive.
But for the one desktop I do use almost every day I was wondering if something else might be more interesting. I'm not really unhappy with Mint Cinnamon though, and since I am familiar with Ubuntu I would hesitate to move too far away from it. Fedora counting Linus Torvalds in its userbase is definitely a feather in its cap though.
Someday I am going to switch my home desktop to some version of Linux also, but my main work desktop will be harder, since it runs several pieces of Windows only software that are essential for the business.
I didn't notice any difference with my DCers when changing DEs on Mint.

I didn't notice any difference with my DCers when changing DEs on Mint.
I have had some lag and weird keybounce-ish issues using Anydesk into a Cinnamon desktop environment. I don't think there would be any performance increase by switching, it's just a usability issue.

I have had some lag and weird keybounce-ish issues using Anydesk into a Cinnamon desktop environment. I don't think there would be any performance increase by switching, it's just a usability issue.
It's definitely not an AnyDesk problem. I use AnyDesk every day not a problem in the world, it even runs on my Pi400.

I used TeamViewer. Never had an issue.

The Teamviewer AI kept thinking I was a commercial user and started locking me out, so Anydesk it is for me. Skillz uses Mint and has the exact same problem as I do, so I'm starting to think it's some kind of interaction between Cinnamon and Anydesk.
Anyway, I feel kind of bad for thoroughly hijacking this thread, sorry Deadjasper

The Teamviewer AI kept thinking I was a commercial user and started locking me out, so Anydesk it is for me. Skillz uses Mint and has the exact same problem as I do, so I'm starting to think it's some kind of interaction between Cinnamon and Anydesk.
Anyway, I feel kind of bad for thoroughly hijacking this thread, sorry Deadjasper

NP, keep it going.

Back