Just Upgraded To Gigabit

piratepress

[H]ard|Gawd
Been thinking my 300 Mbps was plenty fast and I rarely maxxed it out, but my ISP offered me an upgrade to 1 Gbps for the same $80/month I've been paying, so it was a real no-brainer.

Can't wait to get home tonight and run some speed tests. Hard to believe that just three years ago I was stuck on 6 Mbps DSL!!!

Untitled.jpg

I remember sitting there with the FiOS install tech to test my speeds after he finished installation. Was pretty epic the first time.

I notice the asterisk next to "Unlimited Data", so what's the catch?

Just curious. With my ISP I had the choice of a 1Gbps residential connection or a 330Mbps Business connection, for a similar price. With the main difference being that the Business connection has no monthly cap. I chose the later. Most sites can't even max out 330Mbps, nevermind gigabit speeds, but the idea of having a monthly data limit is incompatible with the way I use the internet.

I notice the asterisk next to "Unlimited Data", so what's the catch?

Just that they may throttle me if I download more than 5 TB in one billing cycle. Not a big deal since I've never downloaded more than about 600 GB in a month.

Currently have gigabit download here via Comcast. I'd gladly cut that in half for better upload that the anemic 40 Mb/s currently offered. Also, kill the data cap.

Congrats. I pay $73 for 25 down/3 up but all streaming services are limited to 8 mbps. I got home from work yesterday looking forward to playing some Ark but had to download a 22GB patch so I'm a day out. Last week I was playing the Halo collection and finished the first game, didn't realize that the original install didn't actually install all the games. When you launch the game you then have to launch the individual games inside the game, which then trigger the download. It took me 2 days to get everything downloaded.

We had to pay to upgrade, we had 300Mbps for $99 and upped it to Gigabit when it finally came to our area. Costs us $119/mo for 1Gbps down and 35Mbps up with a 1TB monthly cap. :(
We have no other option for high speed in our area.

I'm thinking about going back down to 400...I pay
$200 for 1g/30 but only time I get colse to that on charter is late night lots of time I'm lucky to break 500

I’m paying $50 a month on promo for Spectrum cable here in LA

450mb/s down and barely 22mb/s UP. That nets me around 62mb/s download speeds on steam which is really fast.

They just started offering 950+mb/s down and like 35UP for $119 a month.

It's not really "Gigabit" ... more like multi-threaded coaxial that's still shared with everyone near you and it goes up and down at various times. That's why it's "up to". I've had my gigabit go down to 20 Mbps at peak usage times, which makes me want to scream. Still though, when it's actually going that fast, it's magical. Downloading a full PC game in 5 minutes is very enjoyable.

They have to be doing away with caps sooner then later ffs. When you got game installs reaching 200gb and several people in your house streaming 4k shit 1tb cap is not enough. I live alone and can push over 1tb a month at times. I was thinking of switching to Comcast gigabit from dios 100mb for like $20 more a month but the Comcast has a 1 the limit while FiOS has no limits. I stayed with FiOS and upped it to 300mb for $10 more.

They have to be doing away with caps sooner then later ffs. When you got game installs reaching 200gb and several people in your house streaming 4k shit 1tb cap is not enough. I live alone and can push over 1tb a month at times. I was thinking of switching to Comcast gigabit from dios 100mb for like $20 more a month but the Comcast has a 1 the limit while FiOS has no limits. I stayed with FiOS and upped it to 300mb for $10 more.

Silly rabbit! It's not their problem you want to download the latest CoD patch and use up your monthly data allotment. You could have opted for the extra download capacity plan, where the money goes to ensure their poor, strained network can be expanded to accommodate you, because they don't get ANY government subsidies, have the network infrastructure all to themselves, and mean Mr. Pai wants them to work for the good of the people!

/s, but you know they don't care about that kind of stuff.

I get 250/10 with 500GB cap for $80. It's enough for being single. "Gig Speed" is 940/10 (yes, 10Mb up-there is no option of getting faster) "speed not guaranteed" with no cap* at $100.

*no cap=2TB, then your connection can suck it for "network management" because the when of hitting 2TB matters somehow?

Back