Just upgraded my HTPC to Linux

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Was happy to discover that Linux networks flawlessly with FreeNAS which I use for my media server. Everything works perfectly and that annoying ever so slight jerkiness is completely gone, video and audio are butter smooth. Microsoft is now completely out of the picture in this part of my life and I couldn't be happier. Progress marches on. One day I hope to be free of Microsoft completely.

I used Linux a ton back in the mid 2000s till I started gaming more again then switched back to MS for ease with games. A few years back I wanted to play with Linux again so I added a dual boot. The more I used it again the more I enjoyed it and found gaming easier on Linux lately so Windows got less and less use. Now the dual boot is gone and I only keep a small "just in case" Wndows 7 VM that never gets used.

I sometimes think of setting up a FreeNAS machine with an old machine, but figured why bother since I'm on my PC so many hours a day already. I just run my Plex and FS off my desktop and call it a day. Media and game files get a once in awhile backup to a portable drive since they aren't REALLY important but just a convenience to keep backed up. Important files like photos/docs get synced to encrypted online storage.

Think my biggest obstacle to dumping Windows completely will be Server OS. Don't think I can handle a CLI only OS which seems to be all Linux offers. Then again if I dig deeper in FreeNAS Jails maybe it will work. I also still maintain a Windows 7 box for a few games but I'll be exploring Wine in the future and see if they'll work under it. VirtualBox would be useful if it handles screen resolutions better. As it is I can't use it for XP or earlier OS's because the resolution is wonky as hell. For the time being I'll stick with Windows for VM's. Remmina on the other hand is totally awesome and handles screen resolutions perfectly.

Think my biggest obstacle to dumping Windows completely will be Server OS. Don't think I can handle a CLI only OS which seems to be all Linux offers. Then again if I dig deeper in FreeNAS Jails maybe it will work. I also still maintain a Windows 7 box for a few games but I'll be exploring Wine in the future and see if they'll work under it. VirtualBox would be useful if it handles screen resolutions better. As it is I can't use it for XP or earlier OS's because the resolution is wonky as hell. For the time being I'll stick with Windows for VM's. Remmina on the other hand is totally awesome and handles screen resolutions perfectly.
Uh linux only offers CLI only? You do realize you can run it as it should (cli only) or install a VNC desktop with a couple of commands and have a headless server with a GUI?

Uh linux only offers CLI only? You do realize you can run it as it should (cli only) or install a VNC desktop with a couple of commands and have a headless server with a GUI?

Nope. Didn't know that. Last time I checked, which was a long time ago, it was CLI only. I'll look into it again. Thanks.

Well, there's a Linux based TrueNAS (TrueNAS SCALE) which I believe is in alpha now, and does have docker support (even on the UI). At that point, VMs are a moot point, as you can find pretty much anything pre-built already within dockerhub. Minimal CLI, if that's completely fleshed out with TrueNAS SCALE.

Nope. Didn't know that. Last time I checked, which was a long time ago, it was CLI only. I'll look into it again. Thanks.
I usually install only the core components to servers like xinit, lxde-core, vncserver, lxpanel... Some install xfce4 but IMO that's way too much bloat already. I prefer bare minimal with no bloat like libreoffice, web browser etc. And if you want to keep the vnc secure, run it with -nolisten tcp option after which you can ssh tunnel to it securely.

I usually install only the core components to servers like xinit, lxde-core, vncserver, lxpanel... Some install xfce4 but IMO that's way too much bloat already. I prefer bare minimal with no bloat like libreoffice, web browser etc. And if you want to keep the vnc secure, run it with -nolisten tcp option after which you can ssh tunnel to it securely.

Thanks. Won't be needing much more than manage shares and network config. Server health monitoring would be nice but there's always IPMI for that. Gonna throw together a box and play around with it.

Yes you can run a gui, multiple guis, remote guis, and even web based guis on linux. Webmin is really frickin cool. I have a linux samba 4 active directory server that i manage with Windows RSAT. So the server does not have a gui, but all management is done through a windows gui. I love linux.

Raspberry pi 4 & OSMC FTW.

I haven't used a bloated OS like Windows for such a task since about 2002. Starting with a stripped out out Linux install on x86 running Kodi, through to various Raspberry Pi's.

Mine is an Intel NUC. Not quite a pi but close. Haven't looked at Kodi in a while. It was pretty but not very user friendly.

My Plex server is Ubuntu Server 20.04. No CLI needed if I don't want. Just install x2goserver and a lightweight DE like XFCE on the server. Then install x2goclient and you can use SSH to get into a UI on the server. Works great for the few times I need a UI while working on the Plex.

Mine is an Intel NUC. Not quite a pi but close. Haven't looked at Kodi in a while. It was pretty but not very user friendly.
I love Kodi. No transcoding needed and the ability to share FTA DTV around the house using TVHeadend.

It's not un user friendly, it's just more advanced than Plex with vastly more in the way of options.

So I'm playing around with Kodi and I've run into a problem. I think I've seen this before. I have a second drive in the box called "DATA". I copied some movies into a folder called 1Temp on DATA, When I browse from within Kodi to add files to the library "DATA" is not an option. However, DATA is listed before I enter "Add Files" and I can play the files from there. So how can I add files to the library that reside on "DATA"?

EDIT : It seems that "DATA" is being detected as a removable drive. This may be the problem.

EDIT #2 : Problem solved. Apparently removable drives aren't available for adding to the library. Now I know. o_O

Last edited:
I used Linux a ton back in the mid 2000s till I started gaming more again then switched back to MS for ease with games. A few years back I wanted to play with Linux again so I added a dual boot. The more I used it again the more I enjoyed it and found gaming easier on Linux lately so Windows got less and less use. Now the dual boot is gone and I only keep a small "just in case" Wndows 7 VM that never gets used.

I sometimes think of setting up a FreeNAS machine with an old machine, but figured why bother since I'm on my PC so many hours a day already. I just run my Plex and FS off my desktop and call it a day. Media and game files get a once in awhile backup to a portable drive since they aren't REALLY important but just a convenience to keep backed up. Important files like photos/docs get synced to encrypted online storage.

Although I think this is cool, the fact is, you are not gaming all that much anymore. There are plenty of newer games that although they install and run in Linux, just simply do not play well when compared to Windows 10. Honestly, since I do not dual boot but instead, install each OS on it's own drive and boot from the bios and as such, neither OS interact's with the other, everything is quick and smooth.

If a game runs well in Linux, I will play it there but if not, I will play it in Windows.

I can honestly state that most of my games library runs either just as good or faster than native Windows, with performance and compatibility constantly improving due to impressive advancements made by both Valve and the community as a whole.

These days, if I come across a game that doesn't run under Linux, I'm actually surprised.

All the games I own run fine in Linux. I don’t play anything with anti cheat programs. I run games via Steam, GOG, and EA mainly. YMMV

All the games I own run fine in Linux. I don’t play anything with anti cheat programs. I run games via Steam, GOG, and EA mainly. YMMV

I am guessing you do not own very many newer games then or you bought games only if they worked well in Linux from the start. For instance, Horizon: Zero Dawn plays poorly and RDR2 Rockstar Games also does not work under Linux. A number of my games do but, those are two that are very important to me at this time. Also, Cyberpunk 2077 Patch 2 will not run, at least not until there is a Proton fix for it.

Last edited:
I am guessing you do not own very many newer games then or you bought games only if they worked well in Linux from the start. For instance, Horizon: Zero Dawn plays poorly and RDR2 Rockstar Games also does not work under Linux. A number of my games do but, those are two that are very important to me at this time. Also, I Cyberpunk 2077 Patch 2 is will not run, at least not until there is a Proton fix for it.
With so much community support as well as the backing of Valve, give it time and assuming no ridiculous DLC/AC support and performance will improve.

If I need Windows to play a game, I'll power up my C64 and play a new title like Sam's Journey - Amazingly addictive game. To be perfectly honest, my interest in PC gaming is dwindling - Although I love Black Mesa.

To go back to remote server management on Linux, I can't believe no one has brought up Cockpit. It's a bit more restricted than Webmin, but for routine maintenance tasks and whatnot, it's easy and convenient. I have it running on my TV Server, and I almost never have to go into the CLI anymore. Obviously the initial setup was through the command line, but after that I just use Cockpit. Also, if you wanted a GUI as a backup, you could install XFCE or any other GUI, and then run sudo systemctl enable multi-user.target and sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target. This will prevent the GUI from loading at boot to conserve resources, and if you want the GUI you can just launch it from the CLI or use any of the remote GUI tools previously mentioned.

And if you ever wanted to go back to having the GUI load at boot time, you can just run sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target.

With so much community support as well as the backing of Valve, give it time and assuming no ridiculous DLC/AC support and performance will improve.

If I need Windows to play a game, I'll power up my C64 and play a new title like Sam's Journey - Amazingly addictive game. To be perfectly honest, my interest in PC gaming is dwindling - Although I love Black Mesa.
I'm with you on this. I don't know if I'm just getting old or what, but I just don't enjoy playing games on PC anymore. I find myself playing console games more often than not now, and I'm not necessarily talking about new stuff. Modern gaming to me just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I've been playing a lot of Gamecube, original Xbox, and Xbox 360 games in the last year. All of the new stuff that's coming out just seems to be rinse and repeat of stuff we've seen before. Whereas, the 7th and especially 6th generation of games had a lot more unique games, especially in the AA market that doesn't really seem to exist anymore. Now it just seems to be either big budget AAA games that all feel the same, or side-scroller indies that I personally don't see the appeal in. What happened to the days when we'd get mid budget stuff like Darkwatch or Beyond Good and Evil? I want those days back. Of course, maybe I'm just getting old and tomorrow I'll be yelling at the sky.

Last edited:
I got bored to playing offline games many years ago and now even online ones have lost their interest. I prefer to study something instead.

To go back to remote server management on Linux, I can't believe no one has brought up Cockpit. It's a bit more restricted than Webmin, but for routine maintenance tasks and whatnot, it's easy and convenient. I have it running on my TV Server, and I almost never have to go into the CLI anymore. Obviously the initial setup was through the command line, but after that I just use Cockpit. Also, if you wanted a GUI as a backup, you could install XFCE or any other GUI, and then run sudo systemctl enable multi-user.target and sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target. This will prevent the GUI from loading at boot to conserve resources, and if you want the GUI you can just launch it from the CLI or use any of the remote GUI tools previously mentioned.

And if you ever wanted to go back to having the GUI load at boot time, you can just run sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target.

you can also install a GUI but uninstall just GDM or whatever display manager/login manager was installed. then you can login at the CLI and if you NEED to use a gui just issue startx.

I got bored to playing offline games many years ago and now even online ones have lost their interest. I prefer to study something instead.

i think i am back to preferring offline games, the major issue with online games is that they include real people.

you can also install a GUI but uninstall just GDM or whatever display manager/login manager was installed. then you can login at the CLI and if you NEED to use a gui just issue startx.

i think i am back to preferring offline games, the major issue with online games is that they include real people.
Real people are not the issue, cheaters are.

Back