Just upgraded my 600m...

I just finished upgrading my 600m, which was a lot easier than I would've guessed. The main purpose of the upgrade was to swap the stock XGA lcd with an SXGA+ screen I picked up from somebody today. The difference in using the computer is unbelieveable. When I first got the machine, I thought that I "got used" to running at such a low resolution on a laptop, but this is much much much better.

While I was messing with it anyway, I also swapped out the 2x256mb sticks for 2x512mb that I got.

Original Specs:
P-m 1.6ghz (Dothan)
512mb PC2700 (@2100)
40gb 5400rpm hd
cdrw/dvd combo drive
XGA screen

Total cost for above config was $435, bought it on ebay, it also came with Complete Care until 2008.

New Specs:
P-m 1.6ghz (Dothan)
1024mb PC2100
40gb 5400rmb hd
cdrw/dvd combo drive
SXGA+ screen

Cost for the upgrades (lcd and ram) was $140, so total cost of current configuration is running $575. Not bad :cool:

I'm debating between buying a modular battery or a dvdrw, but haven't found either remarkably cheap yet and am having trouble choosing.

Anyway, just wanted to share... :)

Also, for comparison, screen shots of the usable desktop space that I gained in the upgrade. :D

Before:
xga.JPG

After:
sxga.JPG

i've been thinking off and on about upping the xga screen on my t42 to an sxga+ screen, but i don't want to void the warrantee. grrr.

edit: good job there on the upgrade

As long as he has the old screen to put back in then he should be fine.

Back