Just tried Brave for Linux

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Won't be using it because it makes bookmarks too hard to access. Needs a bookmarks button, not just a bookmarks bar. I have more bookmarks than is practical to fit on the bookmarks bar. This is a major complaint according to Google. Don't understand why this stupidness exists. Also don't like the fact that there is no tool bar but I could live with that. Moving on to another browser.

Interesting. I haven't tried this one out yet. May have to look at it just to see what its all about.

You say only a book mark bar ? Does it allow you to put folders of book marks on your bar like Chromium. If it does that would work for me. Guess I'll have to check it out.

Interesting. I haven't tried this one out yet. May have to look at it just to see what its all about.

You say only a book mark bar ? Does it allow you to put folders of book marks on your bar like Chromium. If it does that would work for me. Guess I'll have to check it out.

Hadn't thought of that. Will explore, thanks.

Just observed another nasty issue. Brave is not my default browser but when I click on a link in email it opens instead of Firefox which is my default browser.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Hadn't thought of that. Will explore, thanks.

Just observed another nasty issue. Brave is not my default browser but when I click on a link in email it opens instead of Firefox which is my default browser.

That sounds like a PITA. Ya doing some reading it sounds like another chromium based thing... I will still give it a spin. But ya if your a Linux user its super easy to just install the open source chromium. :)

I decided to just uninstall Brave. Opening an external link while not the default browser isn't acceptable to me. Back to Firefox ESR for now. The search for a replacement goes on.

like this
I decided to just uninstall Brave. Opening an external link while not the default browser isn't acceptable to me. Back to Firefox ESR for now. The search for a replacement goes on.

I guess there are a few of the Mozilla forks around... I'm not sure if stuff like GNU Icecat, or waterfox would offer you any real advantage over ESR though.

As time goes on, the user has less and less control over their computer. Where will it end?

Vivaldi has been my go to for a few years now. I had used Firefox pretty exclusively before that; starting with Firefox 0.7. However, I loved the old, old Opera browser and decided to try out Vivaldi which is developed by quite a few of the same people from the old, old Opera browser. I fell in love with it immediately for the most part.

Do keep in mind that it is Chromium based but at least some of the Chrome browser extensions will work with Vivaldi. I don't use many extensions but I did run into some of the Chrome extensions which will not work with Vivaldi.

In my case, Vivaldi is not part of Manjaro's repositories but I can and do get it from the AUR.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Got another problem now. Brave has screwed up my update manager. there must be something else I need to do to completely remove this beast. :mad:

EDIT: NM. I found the solution. :)

Last edited:
That sounds like a PITA. Ya doing some reading it sounds like another chromium based thing... I will still give it a spin. But ya if your a Linux user its super easy to just install the open source chromium. :)
So, yes it is Chromium based, but the purpose of Brave isn't to replace the rendering engine. The purpose of Brave is enable as much privacy as possible in the browser. That's why it has built in ad blocking, tracking protection, disables link ping tracking by default, and much more. While I agree that their Linux implementation leaves a bit to be desired (I'm using the Snap package version because of this), I love what they are aiming to do.

like this
So, yes it is Chromium based, but the purpose of Brave isn't to replace the rendering engine. The purpose of Brave is enable as much privacy as possible in the browser. That's why it has built in ad blocking, tracking protection, disables link ping tracking by default, and much more. While I agree that their Linux implementation leaves a bit to be desired (I'm using the Snap package version because of this), I love what they are aiming to do.

All well and good but they have to get the basics right if they hope to succeed.

Won't be using it because it makes bookmarks too hard to access. Needs a bookmarks button, not just a bookmarks bar. I have more bookmarks than is practical to fit on the bookmarks bar. This is a major complaint according to Google. Don't understand why this stupidness exists. Also don't like the fact that there is no tool bar but I could live with that. Moving on to another browser.
Haha, sounds like me. Firefox is the only browser that does bookmarks right IMO. I've been in the same boat as you with Brave, Chrome, Vivaldi, Edge, etc. All the Chromium browsers are the same.

Guess I'm stuck with FF for the time being. Hopefully the situation will change in the future. Then again, maybe not. :(

Back