Just starting folding for the [H]

Canon

2[H]4U
Yea, I finally did it after thinking about it for a while.

I borged the machine I built for my dad. Athlon XP 2500+ (barton), 512mb ram, XP Pro.

Set it up as a system service so it doesn't bug the computer illiterate haha. Looks good.

I'm folding under the nick: MACanon for team 33.

I'm debating whether I want to do it or not...

It's a laptop with a 1.4 Pentium M with 768mb PC-2100.

I understand the Pentium M is good at doing some folding but the issue I was thinking was thinking about was that it'll make it run kind of hot even when i'm not doing anything. I often use it in the classroom for College and having hot air blowing out the side vent when typing a word document could get a bit anoying i'm thinking.

I saw an option to tell it to stop when unplugged so that was good thinking on there part to save battery consumption.

Maybe when I'm off for the summer and it's just sitting alone on the desk (I have it hooked up to external monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. when at home) i'll fire it up.

I fold 24/7 on my notebook. 2.53 P4.

The battery option actually does work well. I don't get many problems using the standby modes in the notebook and such. Mine takes a licking and keeps ticking.

I also fold on my laptop, a Pentium-M 2GHz. Some work units are hotter than others, but in general I don't have much of an issue. The pause while on battery power is a must though unless you are never away from the wall for more than a very short while. Running folding at 100% can easily cut my battery life in half.

This is the only installation I have of the GUI version, and since it sits in the tray I can easily pause it when heat does become an issue. I have also heard people that set the percentage at something lower than 100%, but the problem is that it would be running less than optimal all night while I'm sleeping and don't care how hot the laptop is.

Ok, you convinced me. I installed the graphical clinet on my laptop. :);)

eeexcellent...

it has indeed begun with you:p

do you have easy access to other computers you could get permission to borg?

oh, and don't forget to get your [H]s.

Unfortunately I don't.

About the Hs... I couldn't find myself on the member list thing. Is there something I have to do to get added onto it?

And it looks like you have to copy and paste that into every message manually because it can't go into the sig. Is that correct?

wait till you post your first wu under [H]ardfolding. Then you can sign up at the [H]ardfolding website. Xeno has a thread here which explains how to get the [H]s.

Cannon... no on the cut and paste.... you make a bookmark with the correct script and then just click the shortcut vice the "submit reply" button.

javascript:document.vbform.message.value=document.vbform.message.value + '\n \n[U RL=http://www.hardfolding.com?go=38&id=7360][I MG]http://www.hardfolding.com/ftag.php/mem/7360.png[/IMG][/URL]\nThe [H]orde needs You!'; document.vbform.submit(); halt;

Use the above as the URL for your bookmark. Take the spaces out of the URL and IMG tags, and change the user ID number to the one for you.

The [H]orde needs You!

The [H]orde needs You!

Edit: Sorry about the empty post. I was testing the bookmark method (thanks jfb9301) and didn't realize it would automatically post the message. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it works! :p

Glad to have you on board Canon. Fold on, it all helps ;)

Ok, i'm giving it a test. I can't get the bookmark idea to work. Too bad we can't just slap it in the sigs.

bostesseger69 said:
im gonna get called a noob, but what is folding.

It is a distributed computing client produced by Stanford University that studies the folding of proteins in order to help with a lot of the diseases and molecular biology questions plaguing scientists today.

Here is their website:
http://folding.stanford.edu/

Here is the team website:
www.hardfolding.com

And check the stickies at the top of the page. Don't worry this subforum is a lot more "noob" friendly than others.

Welcome.

Grab a beer, pull up a chair, get out your wallet and empty it :D

Don't forget to mix up some mojo... kiss a moose... tickle a bear.. fire up the BBQ

and ROAST SOME ROO!

Back