just started using cvs

tim_m

i'm so nice
i finally read about and now actually understand the whole point of cvs and realized that i should have used it from the beginning for the mathematical sciences department website i'm in charge of for my college.

anyway, now that i have started to use it, i really really wish i started using it from the beginning. better late than never though.

i'm still getting accustomed to how cvs actually works but i'm starting to get the hang of it. i need to remove a bunch of images that i shouldn't have imported initially, but that's ok.

anyway, i also took the liberty of setting up viewcvs on the server. feel free to browse
http://mathcs.muhlenberg.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/mathcs_www/

i made it so that there aren't any files with actual server passwords or anything ;). if anyone happens to notice any possible problems of any kind, please tell me and don't screw anything up :p

i'm fairly confident in my code inasmuch as i don't believe making it viewable is a security issue. again, if anyone would happen to notice an issue, i would be very appreciative if you told me about it.

viva cvs!

CVS is a godsend. In my current CS class, my team's code for our major project changes several times a day. But boom, synchronize with the repository, commit and diff changes, and we're good to go. Not to mention dialing back to earlier revisions in case something goes, er, bad.

Now we just need to get this project finished, it's due in 6 days. :(

Another revision control system I've heard of (besides CVS and RCS) is Bitkeeper/Bitmover. I hear it's great, but haven't signed up for a free license.

www.bitkeeper.com

Ditch CVS and move to Subversion :D

I started out using CVS, but when it came time to do things like rename/move files I ran into too many problems. I ended up moving to Subversion and it's been great. They have a free online PDF book that is really good at getting things set up. I love now that all I have to do to move a whole directory is:
svn move directory

Subversion is one that is starting to get some attention too. I have been playing with it myself, and I think is a pretty good one.

Back