Just spent a bunch of money :p (Need a cooler I suppose)

So I finally pulled the trigger on my next gaming PC, my current one was built like Oct 2011, which is a pretty good run compared to how it use to go. It started with buying the case at work, then the PSU at work, to complete mind disconnected impulse buying when I got home.

Here's the damage so far:

Amazon
$211.99 Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7
$434.99 AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Newegg
$329.99 SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe
$186.99 G.Skill FlareX 16GB DDR4 3200
$699.99 Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI (reference design)
$185.98 SILVERSTONE Strider SST-ST80F-TI 800W
$179.99 Corsair 570X RGB

So I'm going to get a lot of boxes soon, but to put them together I still think I need an air cooler (feel free to make recommendations)

And I'll also have to figure out how to install windows from a USB stick as I wont have a disc drive
(I did the windows 7 to windows 10 free upgrade thing, not too sure how that's suppose to work with a new install)

Edit: Starting to look at the corsair h100i, I'd prefer the reliability of an air cooler, but they seem to make this pretty hassle free, anyone have any ideas on leaking / refilling? Supposedly it doesn't need refilling, but my custom Tygon tubing loop definitely evaporated through the tubes

Edit2: Figured I'd better man up and get the corsair cooler, has to be easier than my old custom loop, and should look cool, might even haul this rig to quakecon this year (have to get the quakecon barcode on there to officially sanction it)

-- I did look at the noctua, but man that's expensive for air cooling, figured for the price I can have a quiet water loop vs the tornado it may end up being under load (Although, now that I see that it might actually be quieter, I'm having second thoughts)

Last edited:
Have fun. You will have to use your Windows 7 key to install Windows 10 on the new build, you cannot simply transfer to upgraded installation. If you want a good air cooler, the Noctua NH-D15 works well, I have had one for 2 years and so far, so good.

Just cancelled my order from corsair (turns out it was the V1 cooler, and I saw a photo of a hose coming off)

I'll sleep on it and pick either the v2 h100i or the noctua tomorrow, I would be all over the noctua, but that ugly brown color... hmm

$186.99 G.Skill FlareX 16GB DDR4 3200

:eek: Didn't realize the FlareX stuff was that ridiculously priced

FYI, on my 6700K I returned my H110i for a Noctua D15 and couldn't be happier, the Noctua is much quieter and within a degree of the h110i.

My G.Skill 2800c16 ram is running at 2933c14(-15-16-15) stable, 1.32v. For $110 it was a decent value. If it could go higher that'd be great...still early times.

Stock cooler was able to get my 1600 up to 3.6-ish stable without upping the voltage too much (+.082v offset--can't set absolute voltage or pstates on my board yet). Im at 3.8 right now under an ek block, but I'll have to increase volts or reduce the clock, as I got a hard crash with p95.

I recently installed win10 from USB to a new build (originally a win7 account upgraded to win10).

I had tied my win10 install to my Microsoft account and it was super easy to activate on the new machine.

Also I went for a corsair h115i, sold a bunch of used parts and had extra cash so felt the need to splurge.

That cooler should arrive next week.

I went ahead and got an Corsair h110i, had everything except for the motherboard, today I got it (surprised USPS delivered sunday)

But the amazon seller shipped it without a box, literally the motherboard box with marker shipping notes on it and a shipping label sticker stuck onto it. Didnt even tape the box closed. The motherboard's in there, I'm not sure if any pins are bent or if it will POST, but after picking the board out and seeing that there was no manual or CD in the box I knew I'd better just return the thing. Amazon is giving me an instant refund and will give me a label, and now I'm starting to question whether I should return the CPU too and either get one of the CPU's that are about to be announced, or go with a cheaper Intel 7700k

RVe9ihh.jpg

nixOi.jpg

nixOi

Oh well, I'll get the motherboard taken care of first, the case + PSU + cooler are all installed, I still have the GTX 1080TI, ram, and Ryzen 1800x in shipping boxes unopened though.. Hmmm

I also did the windows 10 USB thing ready to go, haven't tried it but I think it should work

Last edited:
I went ahead and got an Corsair h110i, had everything except for the motherboard, today I got it (surprised USPS delivered sunday)

But the amazon seller shipped it without a box, literally the motherboard box with marker shipping notes on it and a shipping label sticker stuck onto it. Didnt even tape the box closed. The motherboard's in there, I'm not sure if any pins are bent or if it will POST, but after picking the board out and seeing that there was no manual or CD in the box I knew I'd better just return the thing. Amazon is giving me an instant refund and will give me a label, and now I'm starting to question whether I should return the CPU too and either get one of the CPU's that are about to be announced, or go with a cheaper Intel 7700k

Oh well, I'll get the motherboard taken care of first, the case + PSU + cooler are all installed, I still have the GTX 1080TI, ram, and Ryzen 1800x in shipping boxes unopened though.. Hmmm

I also did the windows 10 USB thing ready to go, haven't tried it but I think it should work

happens more often than you think. if it was ground shipped probably not that big of a deal, if it was air shipped which goes through fedex then i would of instantly returned it. but if you're thinking about returning the processor because of cost i would suggest looking at the R7 1700, save a bunch of money and likely get the same overclock as the 1800x while not having to deal with the +20 temp offset that's used on the X series cpu's.

RVe9ihh.jpg

nixOi.jpg

nixOi

Happened with a space heater I ordered, arrived in retail packaging with a big dent in the box and the unit itself. Returned "in original packaging" for full refund. Only time it's happened to me, though.

I went from custom loops to AIO watercoolers h60, h75, h80 and back to highend aircooler. Nothing beats air in terms of noise. As long as watercooling requires a damn pump to function, air is unbeatable.

You don't really need to pay Noctua money for Noctua performance.
Scythe Fuma is onpar with their best offering for $45!
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Scythe/Fuma/

"It started with buying the case at work, then the PSU at work, to complete mind disconnected impulse buying when I got home."

This is pretty much what happened to me last week when my wife said she wanted a PC (she currently only uses a MBP 13"). Cheers!

The Corsair 110i has been treating me well. I'm more comfortable with the reliability of air after having 2 AIO coolers fail in the past, but it's been great so far.

Finally have my new rig together, had to go 1950x when it was announced

Have windows installed and am putting network drivers on a USB now :D

Protip: if it doesnt boot, read the manual on the ram positioning, seems boards can be picky

CzFWAwB.jpg
4lqmPvn.jpg
qmgr4sM.jpg
JtRLloa.jpg

Finally have my new rig together, had to go 1950x when it was announced

Have windows installed and am putting network drivers on a USB now :D

Protip: if it doesnt boot, read the manual on the ram positioning, seems boards can be picky

CzFWAwB.jpg
4lqmPvn.jpg
qmgr4sM.jpg
JtRLloa.jpg

Shoulda gone with the NH-D15........Where are your other video cards to take advantage of those PCIE lanes?

Kick ass system Op, but for the love of GOD please do some cable management! I mean you bought a tempered glass case so you must want to be able to look and admire the 'shiny, so clean up those cables!!:p

Yeah, cables are a mess, pulling all those RGB fans made it look pretty bad, was originally going to mount pump up top, and I did force it in there, but noticed there was no way I could put ram in there with it like that, so I moved it making the mess. I'm somewhat thinking about getting some pretty cable extensions too for pci-e and possibly the motherboard connector

eg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=8-PIN_EXTENSION-_-12-162-035-_-Product

But right now I'm happy it's on and working

cpuz:
vTMudaG.jpg

ai102hd.jpg

Hmm, I was considering that case but doesn't look like it has very many cable management ports. The AIR 740 I ended up getting has them all over the place but its a fatboy.

Sleeved cables will make things look a little nicer. You may have to see if you can zip tie some those fan cables along the edge of the case.

You started cranking it up and seeing what it can do under load and temps you get?

You started cranking it up and seeing what it can do under load and temps you get?

Just now running folding@home on all cores with gpu going as well

So I still have the stock h115i thermal paste on there, have some thermal grizzly from newegg still in the package and all my fans are exhaust currently (I'll fix them next weekend) so consider this a worst case for stock all in one cooling

From hwinfo64 67.3C Tdie at load -- I'll get an idle value later (probably around 20C cooler) this is stock CPU clocks with the 3200mhz ram profile only

Edit: Seems to be about 36C idle

Edit2: Reconfigured fans, have the three RGB in the front like they were originally sucking air in, and the radiator ghetto mounted in a push pull type config infront of those (120mm fans in front 140mm fan mounting holes on the radiator, so cant really do a proper push pull)

But temps are much better, still same idle, but now topping out around 60C or so -- still havent remounted the CPU block yet with thermal grizzly

Edit: Okay, figured I'd give an update, I put thermal grizzly on there (finally) and saw something like a 6-8C drop compared to the normal thermal paste, and then later added some 120mm case fans to the top and back of the case.

Idle is now 27.9C Load is 54.1C

But mind you it's 60F/16C outside, so a bit colder ambient

Last edited:
Back