just received my foxconn 6150k8md from ewiz :)

Soymilk

[H]ard|Gawd
dam that was fast, i just ordered it yesterday :eek: it's probably cuz we're in the same city.

i haven't had a chance to play with it yet, as i don't have the rest of the parts for my new computer yet. specs will be as follows:

case - sg01-e + nt06 (getting from fry's tomorrow)
cpu - x2 3800+ s939 (already have)
ram - 2x1gb corsair valueram (already have)
dvd writer - samsung black drive (was $33 + free shipping at newegg, ordered but don't have yet)
mobo - 6150k8md (obviously)
psu - hopefully i can find something good at frys when i go, last time i went they had the ultra x2 550w i think for like $50 after rebates, which, if it really was that, was a pretty good deal. hopefully i can find something like that again, otherwise i'm going to have to order something online and wait a few days :(
hard drive - old 200gb from my current comp

i'll post some pics of the motherboard in a bit :)

oh yeah, and if ewiz hasn't put the 6150k8md on their website yet and you want to buy one, call in and order it. it cost me ~$75 + ~$6 tax + ~$8 shipping, total just below $90. they had 10 in stock when i called.

I'm looking forward to your review. What exactly came in the box? S/PDIF bracket by any chance. (wishful thinking I know.)

For those who are interested, the board is now officially on eWiz's website: link

no spdif bracket, sry. it came with the standard bracket, a sata signal cable, a 2-port sata power cable, an ata-100 cable, a floppy cable, and a hdtv out cable. i'll get pictures as soon as my cameras batteries charge some more :)

edit - it came w/ a cd too

curtisfong said:
Mine comes tomorrow :(
when i called at first she was like wait have i already talked to u? but i told her someone else referred me to them and she was like oh. then i told her i wanted the same mobo and she remembered which one it was :D made my job a lot easier.

oh yeah, and i just got back from frys like half an hour ago, picked up the rest of my stuff. got a sg01-b evolution, nt06, and silverstone st50ef psu. the st60f got a 9/10 on jonnyguru's site, so it's tied for highest rank with a few other psu's, so i thought hey, the 500w version should be just as good but a little less juice right? and it only cost me $66! :eek: it's over $80 at newegg. i'll be ready to build as soon as i get my dvd writer from newegg, which'll hopefully be here today (tracking says it's in my city and in transit :))

edit - doh, just realized the st50ef's not modular. o well, it's still good.

Darkside said:
Haha...I could clean that up reallly quick>>i do it all the time when my girl is coming over :D
haha nice. im still in my parents house though (about to enter freshman year college), so im not sure where some types of things are supposed to go or if i should just throw em out, and i didnt want to just shove it in the closet or something :p

oh, and the space under my bed's already taken.

Mine is going into a modded NSK3300, I have a full size PS in there, and the front has a 120mm with a filter, instead of 2 unfiltered 92mm.

curtisfong said:
Mine is going into a modded NSK3300, I have a full size PS in there, and the front has a 120mm with a filter, instead of 2 unfiltered 92mm.
the dvd writer didn't arrive today :( i'm probably going to put the computer together minus the dvd drive tomorrow and look around the bios a bit :p

The tweaktown review makes reference to a bios dated 3/2006, I have the 1/06 bios and it seems somewhat buggy. CPU temps are about 15C over what they should be, and overclocking didn't turn out as well as it did on my foxconn 6100 board.

Can someone send an email to foxconn and see if we can get a later bios emailed to us :D

I will be busy at work until next Friday and I won't really have time to push the board until then.

curtis, did you receive any screws with your mobo? i didn't have any in mine, i had to steal some from my friend's stash. i have like 5 mismatched screws holding down my mobo.

Check your silverstone box, they are probably hiding somewhere there.

Please tell me how your sound is working, mine stutters badly, and the front panel audio headers don't appear to work. I'm using the latest HD drivers from www.foxconnchannel.com, global english site. Temps are WAY off, both in windows (showing 95C no matter what load) and bios (50C). I will remount the heatsink when I have time later tonight. My first hour or so with this board has not been confidence inspiring at all!

Please try to hunt down a later bios if you can.

curtisfong said:
Check your silverstone box, they are probably hiding somewhere there.

Please tell me how your sound is working, mine stutters badly, and the front panel audio headers don't appear to work. I'm using the latest HD drivers from www.foxconnchannel.com, global english site. Temps are WAY off, both in windows (showing 95C no matter what load) and bios (50C). I will remount the heatsink when I have time later tonight. My first hour or so with this board has not been confidence inspiring at all!

Please try to hunt down a later bios if you can.
ya i thought it should be with a case; mine didnt come with one :mad: i'm gonna go call frys tomorrow and bitch at them (it was a refurbished warrantied as new).

i havent completed putting my system together yet, i'm almost done. i gave up on plugging the front audio headers in since it was too confusing and i'm not going to be using them anyways :p

Frys has $2 bags of MB standoffs, mounting screws, and case screws, so you could probably talk them into giving you one of those.

I fixed part of my problem, I didnt apply shin etsu properly (was lazy and applied new stuff over the old stuff) and the cpu was throttling. Audio stuttering went away. Temps with MBM5 are still wildly inaccurate.

I can't OC at ALL past 220. My crappy venice was happy at 260 on both my previous boards so the CPU is definitely not holding things back. Neither is the ram.

I'm very ambivalent about this board. I almost want to keep my old foxconn for the extra 400mhz.

curtisfong said:
Frys has $2 bags of MB standoffs, mounting screws, and case screws, so you could probably talk them into giving you one of those.

I fixed part of my problem, I didnt apply shin etsu properly (was lazy and applied new stuff over the old stuff) and the cpu was throttling. Audio stuttering went away. Temps with MBM5 are still wildly inaccurate.

I can't OC at ALL past 220. My crappy venice was happy at 260 on both my previous boards so the CPU is definitely not holding things back. Neither is the ram.

I'm very ambivalent about this board. I almost want to keep my old foxconn for the extra 400mhz.
Wow. Poor overclocking. Is it safe to say from your guy's experiences that this board is no good?

Sikes said:
Wow. Poor overclocking. Is it safe to say from your guy's experiences that this board is no good?

One persons experience can't confirm or deny anything about a boards performance. Best wait for some more people before you confirm anything

i haven't had time to try oc'ing yet, i probably won't until the middle of the week, i have a lot of stuff going on this weekend and monday.

Which is not bad, and their cpu might have been holding them back. Also, I'm using the shipping (1/06) bios; the reviewers got a later bios.

I am going to reserve judgement on this board until I get a later bios from foxconn. At 220 I am undervolting by .25! (cpu is at 1.200v) and everything is perfectly stable. 221 is no go no matter what voltage, so something is off. I really hope a bios update will allow me to raise FSB.

I'm going to keep the board since most things I do will not benefit much from an extra 400mhz, and HD sound, DVI, and component out are worthwhile additions.

bah, this board doesn't go too well with the sg01. the expansion slots don't line up correctly :mad: currently the only thing i have is a wireless pci card which isnt too important, but when i get a graphics card i'm going to have to either cut up the bottom of the pci bracket or the bottom of the case (to make that slot where the bracket's supposed to slide into wider). which means i'll need to find someone who has a dremel, since i dont have one, and wire cutters won't work (i already tried on my wireless card lol).

the board works fine in my case. all the spacing is standard. are you sure the sg01 you got is OK?

i dunno, but im too lazy to dismantle and bring it back to frys for a new one :p

curtisfong said:
Which is not bad, and their cpu might have been holding them back. Also, I'm using the shipping (1/06) bios; the reviewers got a later bios.

I am going to reserve judgement on this board until I get a later bios from foxconn. At 220 I am undervolting by .25! (cpu is at 1.200v) and everything is perfectly stable. 221 is no go no matter what voltage, so something is off. I really hope a bios update will allow me to raise FSB.

I'm going to keep the board since most things I do will not benefit much from an extra 400mhz, and HD sound, DVI, and component out are worthwhile additions.

I am thinking about getting this board but was disappointed by the poor OC. Did you set the CPU<->NB and NB<->SB HT multipliers to 4x/3x?

I've sent numberous emails to Foxconn, and the only bios they would give me was the shipping bios. The reviewers got a later version (which adds chipset voltage control).

So far it's the only 6150 board with vcore and dvi. It is up to you to decide whether those are features you must have; otherwise I would choose the other foxconn 6150 board. I really like foxconn's slot placement (top slot is pcie x16 vs x1 in the biostar 6100), that also might influence your decision.

I assume that at some point a better bios will be released and my OC will improve.

curtisfong said:
I've sent numberous emails to Foxconn, and the only bios they would give me was the shipping bios. The reviewers got a later version (which adds chipset voltage control).

So far it's the only 6150 board with vcore and dvi. It is up to you to decide whether those are features you must have; otherwise I would choose the other foxconn 6150 board. I really like foxconn's slot placement (top slot is pcie x16 vs x1 in the biostar 6100), that also might influence your decision.

I assume that at some point a better bios will be released and my OC will improve.

Thanks. I really want the DVI and Vcore, so I ordered the board from eWiz. Will update after I get it.

curtisfong said:

The USA Foxconn site has the latest BIOS listed with a date of 4/26/06.
Don't use the Global site, the BIOSes are older across the board

EDIT: NM, looks like the same BIOS. Strange.....

Dark79 said:

Here is the link to the 4/29/06 bios: linky
Can someone confirm if it is in fact new and perhaps offers chipset voltage control?

WallStreet said:
Thanks. I really want the DVI and Vcore, so I ordered the board from eWiz. Will update after I get it.

Update - got 2 boards with 1/23/06 BIOS. I have setup one with a 3200+ Venice. 210HTT is OK, 220 causes Windows to crash when loading, and it doesn’t even POST at 240. Other one is not setup yet.

Also, it seems the board lacks a 1T/2T RAM timing control - I couldn't find it.

Quite disappointed given the results on other Foxconn 6100/6150 boards… I hope I’m just doing something wrong :-(

Dark79 said:

I flashed this BIOS and can confirm it is the same 1/23/06 one.

The reviewers used this bios to get > 250 htt. It's the same date as the "updated" bios listed on the foxconn site. I exchanged a few emails with an engineer and he said that the latest bios would not be released to the public, which is a real bummer.

curtisfong said:
The reviewers used this bios to get > 250 htt. It's the same date as the "updated" bios listed on the foxconn site. I exchanged a few emails with an engineer and he said that the latest bios would not be released to the public, which is a real bummer.
why the hell would they create a bios and then not release it to the public? :mad:

Hello,

has anybody some news about the better bios? Maybe someone from the reviewrs has/could read it out and post it somewhere.

It's too bad. I've given up on this board. It's great if you are OK with a 220 HTT limit. I gave mine to a friend and picked up a 6100K8MA, which is cheap and OCs just like my DFI UT NF4 Lanparty.

250 would be enough for me, so no way for cheating a bit?

EDIT:
With the SuperUtitly from Foxconn the Board runs great with up to 250Mhz (more would kill my CPU). Why can't Foxconn just say, here you've got the better Bios. :mad:

carrera said:

EDIT:
With the SuperUtitly from Foxconn the Board runs great with up to 250Mhz (more would kill my CPU). Why can't Foxconn just say, here you've got the better Bios. :mad:
wait, so u can get urs to 250?

carrera said:

EDIT:

What CPU & memory are you using?

An Athlon 4200+ X2 which runs at the moment with 2520Mhz and Kingston Ram which runs at 360Mhz (He could run at 400Mhz).

I purchased a Foxconn 6150K8MD-8EKRSH a few weeks ago from xPCgear. Got it for only $69.99 + shipping (price mistake on their website, current price is $75.99!). Installed an Opteron 165 and a Scythe Mine HSF. Running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and using two 512MB sticks of Corsair XMS pc3500 ram (2-3-2-6 T1 spec.). For an integrated video board, it's great. For example, it will run any GeForce6-series demo, and with its DX9.0C rating, it is supposed to be Vista-ready (not that I would load any M$ OS that isn't at least SP1……). The board definitely does everything it is designed for, with the exception of overclocking. So far, it refuses to POST with the CPU clock higher than 220, even with the HTT multipliers all dropped by 1X.

Some observations: 1) there is a real shortage of 3rd-party CPU/motherboard monitoring apps that will run correctly on this board. MBM5 does not work at all, and I get a strange temperature reading for the motherboard itself using SpeedFan and SiSoft Sandra 2007. Both warn that the mobo is running at 95C!

The included SuperStep utility is not very useful for overclocking. It does show readings for your fan speeds, system voltages, the CPU, PCI & PCI-E clocks, and the CPU and system temps, but the O/C tab only has two settings, the CPU multiplier and HTT, of which only the HTT is editable (the multiplier is supposed to be also, but it isn't). Also, the temps shown in SuperStep are about 4-5C higher than what I see from 3rd-party apps.

I ran into the same deadend with tech support in California that curtisfong witnessed: I emailed Support to ask about the 95C mobo temp and the tech asked what the PC Health screen in the BIOS showed. He was clueless that the parameter wasn't shown there at all. I then asked if upgrading the BIOS would help, and he said yes, but when I informed him that the link he gave me was dated April, but was the same exact BIOS as the January one, he back-pedaled and said the 01/23/06 BIOS is the most recent. Note that Foxconn has fixed the date on the BIOS on their Download page as a result of my calling them on their error. It now reads 01/23/06.

Needless to say, I am less than impressed with Foxconn's tech support. The board badly needs a new BIOS. Note that while I am a newbie when it comes to AMD64 overclocking, I have a socket A 1700XP on an Abit NF7-S v2.0 that is running at 2.4Ghz, a 62% O/C. Frankly, I expected better from this mobo in that department.

Back