Just put the old Raptors to work. 8 of them in a RAID50.

thebeephaha

2[H]4U
Just got my backups cloned to the new array and now I will have similar speeds to my previous 4 Raptor RAID0 but I now have more space and dual drive fault tolerance.

Benches!

attachment.php

^Read speeds

attachment.php

^Write speeds

Controller used: Dell Perc5/i w/512MB cache memory. Write back cache enabled.

not bad if i do say so myself...

been looking into a perc but i'd need to upgrade my motherboard...i lack anything more than a x1 PCI-E slot as i didn't think i'd want/need SLI/Crossfire or anything fancy...damn me for trying to be reasonable with this machine...

Shame, the Perc really is a great card for the money. Of course there is better out there, I'm sure a nice Areca could smash my score but I was on a budget.

My 8 Raptors and Perc 5 card with its accessories were under $850. While that is a LOT of money, it is much less than retail costs and for me it was worth it. I mean a high end raid card and a few SAS drives would have easily cost way more than that.

I would like to move up...i just crippled myself with the montherboard i have (DFI LP DK P35-T2RS) because i intended to use the onboard RAID to save some cash...then i tossed in my adaptec 3400S 4ch U160 controller and some cheetahs for my OS drive and i'm very spoiled now...

That sure is a lot of 74 gig raptors dude! I'm sure the performance is great but I'll have to say though that it almost seems like a waste considering the small capacity of the 74 gig raptors and their price/performance ratio. I mean they are fast but not screaching compared to like 15k SCSI drives or even the newer 300 gig velociraptor. The Western Digital 1TB 7200rpm Black drives with their large platters tend to offer performance close to the older 74 gig raptors so I'd probably have like 4 or 5 of those running in RAID if I wanted top speed but also a whole lot of storage. It would cut down on heat, noise, and power consumpution too.

I picked up four recently from a fellow hard member for a mere $160.

The other four I'd had for over a year along with the Perc.

It was just one of those "why the hell not" moments.

The nice thing is, I can eventually move to SAS drives when they drop in price or solid state and part out the Raptors to other computers around the house or something.

The main problem I have in my RAID0 of 74G Raptors is the lack of NCQ. For straight reads or rights - they are plenty fast. As soon as two or three apps try to access the array at the same time - it just starts screaming. The drive sounds like a server when its trashing memory.

I've tested this with the NCQ threads in other forums. Run HD_Speed with 6 copies all reading from the drive at the same time and you will see the problem with the Raptors.

Maybe your Perc/5 solves that problem. My RAID0 is off my ASUS MB.

My 500G Seagates handle the NCQ test just fine on the same box.

Back