Just Pushed the Amazon Button for my New System - comments appreciated (have 30 days to send parts back)

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
612xcAwkW7L._SL1200_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CL9WFWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
No picture, I mean. . . .

Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI (AMD Ryzen AM4/M.2 Thermal Guard with Onboard Wifi/HDMI/DP/USB 3.1 Gen 2/Mini ITX/Motherboard)
81D10mFZWqL._SL1500_.jpg

Corsair RMX Series (2018), RM550x, 550 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply
81j-rxW6V4L._SL1500_.jpg

Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7E500BW), Black/Red
81ABwgAl-gL._SL1500_.jpg

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) (PC4 25600) F4-3200C16D-16GTZR
61Mo5QjeXwL._SL1062_.jpg

Case fans: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM, High Performance Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, 1200 RPM (140mm, Grey) x6 (Intake: two front, 2 bottom, exhaust: two top).
813Ns9yCnIL._SL1500_.jpg

Comments or suggestions appreciated. I haven't decided on a CPU cooler yet. Any suggestions for a clean, quite air cooler?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks good to me except I would have gotten an MSI or ASUS board. Not a big fan of Gigabyte.

Scythe makes some awesome coolers and the Mugen eats heat quite well.

Looks good to me except I would have gotten an MSI or ASUS board. Not a big fan of Gigabyte.

Almost went with the only other wifi ITX board Amazon had (Other than MSI), which was the ASUS. My last x58 Gig board almost made me never buy Gigabyte again. I am having angst about buying another Gig board, dammit. But I read, and read, and read, and booth boards from ASUS and GIG have their bad reviews. I have one single fucking problem with that gig board, and I'll shoot that fucker back to Amazon so fast it will rip their delivery truck a new asspipe. I'll never go through what I did with that x58 board and the mysterious missing ram crap--and the PWM went out on one of the fan risers too. I probably should have gone with that ASUS board :(

Last edited:
Yea that Aorus is a nicer board and it may be fun trying to find an equivalent from the other guys.
Ironically I had issues with my first X58 board too but it was an ASRock which eventually croaked out with similar issues with RAM and stability. It got replaced with an MSI which still runs to this day.

Yea that Aorus is a nicer board and it may be fun trying to find an equivalent from the other guys.
Ironically I had issues with my first X58 board too but it was an ASRock which eventually croaked out with similar issues with RAM and stability. It got replaced with an MSI which still runs to this day.
Thinking I should have gotten the MSI. But I read about its problems too.

I've got a Gigabyte Z390 aorus master, one of the best boards I've ever owned, much better than any Asus boards I've had in the past including Rampage.

Well, it's a done deal. The order is in and Amazon reports it's shipping ASAP with Prime. Should have everything by Sunday. Hope nothing comes broken, like the glass panels on the case. More importantly, hope I don't fire it up and get a blank screen.

I guess I could have done a little better on the RAM side of things (probably could have gotten the 3600 and a little better timings if I tried a little harder). I didn't really want the RGB,but they were listed on teh Gigabyte site as compatible wiht teh GiG Fusion software and or MB control. I wanted these, which are the same speed and timings, but no RGB. But, only available through UK, but it says I can still get them in 2 days, but I didn't want to go through that possible shit show.
71vKio5VaYL._SL1500_.jpg
If the RGB model isn't what I really want, then I'll buy the white version of the above, which will go with the white case:
41nJku6qqGL.jpg
Same timings.

Last edited:
Having some second thoughts about that 550 PSU. I thin I should have gone for the 650 - it wasn't in stock for another month, and the only option was to go 750, which was really over kill. You guys think it is ok?

I won;t have anything else plugged into the rig except keyboard/mouse, no Opticals, no other hard drives, and any other USB devices would only be operating when I'm not gaming. I will have 6 Noctua 140mm fans, one 120mm CPU fan, and 1 120mm PSU side fan plus the power supply fan itself. but they only take a combined 20 watts running full out. I just used the outer vision PSU calc wiht an AMD 5700 video card (which I used for a worst case scenario). I got 361 loaded watts:
https://outervision.com/b/b2JiJ5
I feel like I am missing something. Even at CPU 100% TDP I am leaving myself 180+ watts over head or about 33%.

Having some second thoughts about that 550 PSU. I thin I should have gone for the 650 - it wasn't in stock for another month, and the only option was to go 750, which was really over kill. You guys think it is ok?

I won;t have anything else plugged into the rig except keyboard/mouse, no Opticals, no other hard drives, and any other USB devices would only be operating when I'm not gaming. I will have 6 Noctua 140mm fans, one 120mm CPU fan, and 1 120mm PSU side fan plus the power supply fan itself. but they only take a combined 20 watts running full out. I just used the outer vision PSU calc wiht an AMD 5700 video card (which I used for a worst case scenario). I got 361 loaded watts:
https://outervision.com/b/b2JiJ5
I feel like I am missing something. Even at CPU 100% TDP I am leaving myself 180+ watts over head or about 33%.
it be ok....i personally always give myself extra power cause if i end up with a high current card im still good to go. The rest of the pc is actually very power efficient. You can buy power supplys just about anywhere local in north america anyways, if something where to happen.

it be ok....i personally always give myself extra power cause if i end up with a high current card im still good to go. The rest of the pc is actually very power efficient. You can buy power supplys just about anywhere local in north america anyways, if something where to happen.
I was worried maybe I didn't give myself enough power. I wanted the 650 unit, but it drop out of stock until late March. The only other option was the 750,which is wayyyyyy overkill, and 30.00 US more. I did the same calcs using the 650 watt corsair fan profile and the only time the fan would have come on is under nearly full power. So I would have had a fanless operating PSU. The 550 will probably come on sooner, but the Corsair RMX series is known for being virtually silent even at 100% fan speeds.

I would of got the 750 watt just cause it gives you a little head room for future needs whether you upgrade the cpu or gpu and want to oc the system.

I would of got the 750 watt just cause it gives you a little head room for future needs whether you upgrade the cpu or gpu and want to oc the system.
If I upgrae the CPU it will probably use even less power in the future, and same for a video card. I used a 500 watt power supply for an x58 board with an OCed i7 920 and a power color AMD 7950 video card, and never had problems. However the 500 watt Platinum was really 600 watts because it could operate at Gold over 500 watts.

I'll still have 180 watts overhead with this new 550 unit.. I don't think I can ever get that mcuh more power needs with today's cards and CPUs. If yuo hit the link above, wideopen with an 5700x video card I'll be using 368 watts. Wide open is actually a pretty sweet spot for a 500 watt PSU. However, it will never run wide open playing games. It may spike, but probably never wide open for a continues time. A 750 watt PSU could run two on my new machines at the same time, and still have plenty of overhead for spikes.

Nice build. What's it going to be used for? Looks like a gaming rig?
Yep, mainly, but everyday stuff too like streaming music and work. Since it can only take 150mm tall cooler, I've had a lot pain finding one that is both attractive and that can actually cool well. Pretty much all 120mm towers are out. I should have just mounted the stock stealth cooler and then started really researching what i wanted to do.

After hours of researching, I was down to the Noctua L9a or the Noctua L12S. I also looked at 92mm tower coolers, like the Noctua U9H, and a couple other 92mm towers, but they aren't cooling any better than the L12S. Plus the Noctua 92mm tower only comes in Noctua puke brown. I have the L12Sinstalled. You have to install your RAM before installing the heat sink, or you can't get the RAM in. well,I did get it in, but you can't get it out without removing the heat sink.

Also,the Noc 92mm tower is 60 bucks. Others are less, but not built like Noctua, either. But, none of them cool any bett4er than the L12S.

The 92mm tower would surely be easier to work around. The L12S covers almost the entire MB.

WP_20200304_21_20_45_Pro.jpg

From the top, it completely covers the MB, plus you have to remove it to takeout RAM, and you can't even see the RAM with it on. Of course I will have a fan mounted on top of it, so you'll mainly see the 120mmfan, not the fins. at this poiint, I'm seriously thinking about a single radiator AIO system. The Corsair H60 is 70 bucks. By the time I replacethe brown fan that comes with this unit, I'll have 70.00 bucks in it.

Last edited:
Back