just purchased the acer f-20

Jason711

Supreme [H]ardness
will let you all know my thoughts and opinions once it arrives.

newegg has a decent deal on it. i just hope ups doesnt smash it.

anybody else seen or used this thing?

My Dell 2405 arrived this morning... it looked like it was a repackaged monitor...no protective film over screen etc. Driver disk obviously used (smudges on it) etc etc...not pleased at all. Sending it back tomorrow. If next one is crap, I will be getting one of these beautiful Acer's - The F-20 looks amazing!

Let us know your thoughts on it.

cheers

i have, it rocks....

you will not regret it, much better than any dell stuff....

it is well packaged .......... yet UPS can destroy anything.... i already complained about them to newegg multipe times. now when i order anything (valuable) from them, i usually insist on making them upgrade my order to fedex shipping, they usually do that for no extra charge....

any how, regardless of the shipping stuff. YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THE MONITOR.

awsome... im pretty excited. the panel seemed to have good specs. and i like ferrari. :D

Hi mate,

What sort of performance do you get from this? I was thinking of swapping the Dell 2405 I just got (it's being replaced as it was shoddily packaged and look's like a repack job - plus loads of dead pixels) for the F-20 or the AL2032?

How good is the monitor for 'scaling' to lower resolutions etc. I really need to know this...as I may cancel the replacement and go for one of these instead. They really are the most beautiful TFT's I've seen.

Let me know mate, thanks for your time

cheers

ill be sure to check that out.. any particular ones you are interested in?

Jason711 said:
ill be sure to check that out.. any particular ones you are interested in?

The usual suspects: 1152x768 / 1280x1024 - any other's similar to this.

cheers mate

well, i have it.

its pretty wicked. :eek:

what is it exactly you want me to look out for when i scale to these resolutions?

Come on Jason, spill the beans. Backlight bleeding, motion blur in FPS games, general impression of colors and the screen.

You know, the GOOD stuff!

-Flake

man.. ive been sitting and just staring. let me drool for a while. ;)

Yes info I need info I just seen this on newegg and my CRT is DOA as of today and i need a GREAT GAMING monitor :D is there any ghosting at all with this monitor ?

jason, i am also waiting for ur reviews. i am thinking this one or the regualr ws20" one from acer. i had a gateway before, but returned it due to x pattern backlight bleeding & color banding. does this monitor has any these problems? tks in advance. :)

Well i did it :) I grabed an Acer F-20 today I should know in 2 days if i made the right purchase :D

Yeah, over at widescreengamingforums, they have links to all kinds of tests for LCDs. The dead pixil test turns your screen solid colors so you can easily see dead pixils. There is also a flash ghosting test.

Nice grab on the monitor!

^^ thanks, i think i got a good deal on it aswell. ~$569 shipped

ran the test for dead/stuck pixels (monitor test) and found nothing wrong at all. very pleased.

played around with timeshift (only thing i have installed at the moment.. ) no tearing or anything strange that i can notice.

tried many of the lower resolutions (in game) nothing seemed streched. max res brings my GS to its knees. (its clocked at 505/1.3) i really need to get a couple 7800gt's now... more money, great.

its native res is as clear as a bell on the desktop. at lower resolutions the text seems a bit off, ... not as sharp.

vivid, sharp, nice contrast. (over all in game, id stay native on the desktop)

i work with a nice 19" dell lcd at work, and coming home to this is like a breath of fresh air.

Have you Gamed on it yet ? just wondering how it plays games like BF2 and Cod2. Ordered mine today, so I can't wait should be here by thurs. :D My old CRT hurts my eyes so i really want this thing to get here fast...........

Damn they shipped it from TN lol i would have payed more for the shipping if i would have known this, Damn I allways get it in 1 to 2 days but it will be atlease 3 days now, im only in a hurry because i had to put an old monitor on my system to get by and this 1 BLOWS, my EYES hurt like hell using it for only a few mins.

But i can hardly wait for this one too get here and see if it helps my eyes out too :D

But from the looks of it im sure i will be happy with it.

from what i could tell, i could not see any light bleeding through the black test screen. (the black was black)

a dvd is a good idea... ill throw one in and take a look.

my comp area is seriously messed up, im gonna have to clean it before i post a pic.

I just got this monitor yesterday from Newegg -- $549 + shipping. My first gripe with it was getting it set up. The connector for the power is near the bottom center of the monitor where the stand connects to the back so trying to get my big hand in there to get it connected was a bitch. I guess someone with small hands could probably get it w/o any problems but it's still not easily accessible.

After I got it set up and turned it on you get a red "Ferrari" logo on the screen and then it fades out -- neat. I have the monitor connected using a DVI cable and everything looked ok as I booted it up. When I got to the XP desktop everything looked stretched of course and it said to change the resolution to it's native 1680x1050. I went into my display settings and the furthest it would go to was 1600x900. It was set to "Plug & Play" Monitor. So, I check the CD it came with to see if it had any drivers for XP. Nope. I then spend 5 minutes going to the Acer web site and found XP drivers there. Installed them ok, rebooted -- probably didn't need to -- go to the display settings and still I can only set it to 1600x900. WTH!?! So then I see you can add custom resolutions through nVidia's utility and I add 1680x1050. When flickered and switched to that setting I sat there in awe of how f-ing amazing it looked.

Now I needed to load up World of Warcraft and see how this beauty handles gaming. Well, I got the problem of only being able to set the resolution in WoW to 1600x900(Wide). Apparently then custom setting I added didn't work in WoW. So after doing more google searches for a resolution I found that I need to change the resolution settings in some file in the WoW folder. Fixed it. Again, my jaw hit the floor when I finally logged into game. The picture was unbelievable! I played for a good hour on it and experienced no tearing whatsover. I swear it's like playing the game on a CRT, it's that good. There's no backlight bleeding at all -- the black is freakin' BLACK. I need to play a few more games on it tonight and watch a DVD on it. I'm currently at work and tempted to go home sick to play on it some more. :D :D :D

I'm more than pleased with my purchase -- right now anyways. I'll give it a few more tests before I can really judge it but initial impression is, "F- - - ing Awesome!"

Thanks for the heads up mine will be here Fri from Newegg and this mite save me a few mins of screwing around :D I can wait it's driving crazy using this old monitor i stuck on untill it gets here and i can't wait to play COD 2 and BF 2 on it.

leykis, tks for the review. cant wait for more infors on gaming. and did u run any gradient test? coz on my last gateway ws lcd, the gradient test on that thing was a nightmare. there were color banding all over the screen. if you havent, could you run some gradient tests? tks in advance. Jason, just take some pics, with that lcd, any messy table will turn into a beautiful work place. :D cant wait for the pics. tks guys. :)

no, i am not a photographer... :p

thats my old 17" lcd under the table. its hooked up to another box running linux.

It is so shiny :D

Could you take a picture, with the display ON, that shows the worst possible reflection off the monitor, other than from a direct light (i.e. not the camera flash, not a light fixture in the room, and not a window)?

when i look at mine after warm up, and on a blank background (such as a blank screen saver), i see some bleading (just a little) in an x shape, anyone else have this? i'm still debating wether to send it back or keep it because everyhting else is perfect ......please check yours guys and let me know....!!

i know people described similar problems with the gateway widescreen ,,,,,although the acer uses a different panel ........

hmm... i dont see anything resembling an X shape on the black test screen.

Jason711 said:
i have no idea how to do that. :confused:

Just turn on your display, look through your camera viewfinder, and move around in front of the display until you see something reflecting in it. Then take a picture :)

i meant by the x shape a little bleading (or reflection) in all four corners.......

thanks,

Mine will be here today its on the truck :D I will know tonight how it games as i play every night.............

Ok just played BF2 and COD 2 it plays games Pretty Good, BF 2 played real good , COD 2 had just a hint of blur maybe it is just me im use to CRT's and never got that, But it was very small not enought to really screw with me too much. The Color is Fantastic, these games look GREAT i can say that much about this thing. I do see a little x pattern but not a whole lot, but there is just a bit. Over all I love it, Very Nice product so far, I will have to get use too the LCD as it is a little different then my CRT but I think im going to love this thing :D

From 2 hours of playing so far I say this thing ROCKS over All and would say if you are looking at the F-20 go for it you will love it.

Moto450fyz, did you have similar problems like I did with XP not letting you set the monitor to 1680x1050?

Back