Just purchased my first ssd, any installation / optimization tips?

guitarguy6

[H]ard|Gawd
Finally decided it was time to get an ssd and picked up an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB as it seems to be a great price/performance ssd. Are there any installation tips or windows tweaks (win 7 ult 64) you would suggest. I know I should set my sata to AHCI but is there anything else I should do? Do I need to worry about firmware updating before installing my OS onto it?

Thanks

I would like to setup my current 500gb hdd's in raid 0 for my games and some programs. If I set sata to raid will the ssd which is not part of the raid array lose some performance?

Check your motherboard's user manual; you may be able to use RAID to only cover your two HDDs.

As a practical matter, however, I advise against using RAID if you don't need it. You have the SSD for your more important games and programs, and should one of your drives fail in a RAID 0 configuration, you lose all of your data.

I always run raid 0 as data loss doesn't bother me. I have various pc's and hdd's for backing up my important data. I'm somewhat confused because my vertex 2 has firmware 1.27 according to as-ssd but OCZ shows firmware 1.24 as the latest on their website. I tried calling OCZ but their 800 number just gives a busy signal.

Just installed windows and ran as-ssd. Does this look right?

ssd.png

Back