Just purchased more RAM and it's not working

macnmore

n00b
I have this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131406&Tpk=m4a785td and I just purchased this memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428&cm_re=ddr3-_-20-231-428-_-Product
When I put the RAM in and powered it on, nothing booted up. I didn't get the standard beep code or anything. Everything powered on such as the fans spinning and I hear the hard drive crunching, but nothing on the monitors and no beeps. Will this memory work with this MB? I have the same RAM execpt for 4GB instead of 8GB and with the 4GB installed everything works fine. I've tried the RAM in both A1/A2 and B1/B2. Do I need to somehow tell this MB that it now has more RAM? Please advise.

It sounds like you ran the new ram by itself first, correct? and no POST.
Try 1 stick of the new ram at a time and see if it will post.
You may have a bad stick. I had a bad stick that I recently RMA'd with Corsair and it wouldn't post with both sticks or the bad one by itself. Posts just fine with the good one though.

Well, I would stick 1 stick in whatever slot you were using with the 4GB kit.
and use 1 stick only and see if the machine POSTs.

No post on either stick of RAM. On bootup my screen says DDR3-1333, but the RAM is DDR3-1600. Would that matter? The 4GB I have in there right now is DDR3-1600 and is working fine. Not sure why it says 1333. I've reset BIOS to factory defaults and still nothing. Could I have really gotten 2 bad sticks of RAM or is it more likely something on my MB?

No post on either stick of RAM. On bootup my screen says DDR3-1333, but the RAM is DDR3-1600. Would that matter?
No.

OTOH how do you know what the bootup screen says with that memory installed if the computer won't POST with that memory installed? :confused:

No.

OTOH how do you know what the bootup screen says with that memory installed if the computer won't POST with that memory installed? :confused:

I guess I needed to seperate those two lines. There is no POST with either stick of memory installed.
When my computer boots up...normally, with the 4GB RAM installed...it says DDR3-1333 even thought the 4GB is DDR3-1600...The 4GB and 8GB have the exact same specs.

you running windows 32 bit or 64 bit?

Considering the OP can't even get the PC to POST with the new memory I fail to see why this is relevant.

OP have you tried resetting the CMOS on the mobo and then trying the memory again?

I have not tried that yet. That's simply removing the battery for a few seconds then putting it back in right?
Forgot to mention, I brought the memory in to work with me and it works perfect in my work computer. One stick at a time and then both sticks at the same time...system booted just fine.

I have not tried that yet. That's simply removing the battery for a few seconds then putting it back in right?
Forgot to mention, I brought the memory in to work with me and it works perfect in my work computer. One stick at a time and then both sticks at the same time...system booted just fine.

Yes that's right, 30 seconds is good to ensure a clear. And at least you know now the memory itself works.

Yes that's right, 30 seconds is good to ensure a clear. And at least you know now the memory itself works.

Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I get home. Any other suggestions if that doesn't fix it? BIOS upgrade? I'm at revision 0501 and the latest one is 2106...so mine is pretty outdated.

Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I get home. Any other suggestions if that doesn't fix it? BIOS upgrade? I'm at revision 0501 and the latest one is 2106...so mine is pretty outdated.

BIOS update shouldn't hurt and yes you're a little out of date so probably recommended :)

Back