Just purchased a Samsung 305t having second thoughts

Hoof

Limp Gawd
I just bought a Samsung 305t from the egg, which is scheduled to get here in 2 days, and I am having second thoughts. After reading some more reviews: http://www.behardware.com/articles/661-1/the-new-30-inch-monitors-dell-and-samsung.html I'm thinking I should have bought the dell 3007wfp-hc instead.

I do plan on adding two 2007fp's down the road so I guess the 3007 would fit better along side them as well?

I don't think newegg accepts returns on lcds so is my best bet to put it on ebay?

Cant you cancel the order??? Anyone will tell you that the HC is better....

Cant you cancel the order??? Anyone will tell you that the HC is better....

Tradeoffs. The PVA screen in the Samsung has more color shifting and bit more lag, but the IPS screen in the others has a lot more dusty looking coating, has a lot more screen uniformity issues, and a some fairly obvious white glow.

I had the Dell 3007-HC and ditched because of all the screen uniformity issues (and the screwy wide gamut color). But I am not bying the Samsung either because I don't like PVA screens.

YMMV, but it is not cut and dried case of Dell > Samsung. It is a series of tradeoffs. It depends which defect matter more to you.

In the end I went smaller with higher quality (NEC 2490). Because I wanted the best viewing angles I could get and IPS with A-TW treatment is it. No 30 screen has this and they are the ones that need it most.

If you are already on the hook for it, you may as well check it out to see if it works for you rather than only listening to other peoples issues. You may find you like it.

Other than HDCP, typical PVA horizontal gamma shift and maybe slightly less sharp text, I don't see where the Dell is any better.

In fact, in reading that review I find the following information pertinent:

1) Good brightness homogeneity throughout the panel, better than Dell.
2) Standard gamut (which is a PLUS IMHO)
3) Comparatively good color calibration out of the box

These three points are all good.

Another person has mentioned that in ordering the 305T they received the 305T+ which DOES have HDCP, but may also be wide gamut of 102% (oversaturated colors) so why not wait 'till you get it, and see which it is, then decide. Also the 305T+ has a lower powered backlight at 300 cdm/2 which I find is a big plus too.

Here are specs of 305T+

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consum...ype=intelligenceseries&model_cd=LS30HUXCB/XSH

Here's a PDF:

http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/2008/03/14/ls30hubcbxaa/T_Series_LR.pdf

Thanks for the help guys. I just received my 305T today and it really is impressive. No dead pixels no backlight bleading, color uniformity seems pretty good all around. I'm still not 100% convinced though, its more of me thinking "what am i missing by not going with the dell?". Also the colors do seem a bit washed out at times when compared to my 2405wfp though im not sure if that's because the colors are actually accurate instead of being oversaturated. I hadn't realized just how bad the yellowish tint on my 2405 was, the colors seem to be way off and really is a pain to look at now that I've compared the two.

10e do you know where I can get teh 305T+? Doesn't really seem like its a big gain though over the regular 305T though. Neweggs return policy does suck on LCD's but maybe I made the right choice after all, may just end up keeping this bad boy.

Thanks for the help guys. I just received my 305T today and it really is impressive. No dead pixels no backlight bleading, color uniformity seems pretty good all around. I'm still not 100% convinced though, its more of me thinking "what am i missing by not going with the dell?". Also the colors do seem a bit washed out at times when compared to my 2405wfp though im not sure if that's because the colors are actually accurate instead of being oversaturated. I hadn't realized just how bad the yellowish tint on my 2405 was, the colors seem to be way off and really is a pain to look at now that I've compared the two.

10e do you know where I can get teh 305T+? Doesn't really seem like its a big gain though over the regular 305T though. Neweggs return policy does suck on LCD's but maybe I made the right choice after all, may just end up keeping this bad boy.

I ordered the Samsung 305T from tigerdirect but got the 305T+ instead.. here is a mini review comparing the 305T+ i have now with the past 30"s that i used, these include the apple cinema 30" which i owned for almost 3 years... and the dell 3007wfp-hc which i used only for a day.. look for my post...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1302745

I ordered the Samsung 305T from tigerdirect but got the 305T+ instead.. here is a mini review comparing the 305T+ i have now with the past 30"s that i used, these include the apple cinema 30" which i owned for almost 3 years... and the dell 3007wfp-hc which i used only for a day.. look for my post...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1302745

Thats funny as I ordered the 305T+ because I was told that the 305T was discontinued and no-one stocked it anymore and what did I get sent...a 305T!!! Very happy about that!!

Screen is stunning compared to my old 22" and apart from dimming down the brightness a little the image quality is great!

I think you are missing nothing. If PVA screens don't bother you, they 305t is better overall. That it still standard sRGB is a HUGE bonus IMO. You get decent accurate color without having to jump through hoops.

I guess it depends on your area, but I'd consider the 305T better for most people than the 305T+ unless you absolutely need HDCP.

Generally the 2405FPW is considered to be slightly below average at best in regards to color calibration where the 305T is above average. We are all very used to looking at LCD TVs with their somewhat garish colors without calibration, so accurate color seems washed out, but generally I think accurate is better and the internet is sRGB, as is HDTV (almost) so it's always better to have an sRGB gamut monitor than a wide gamut monitor except for pro photogs who do a lot of print and professional digital imaging outside the internet.

Most applications, and all games that I know of do not employ adjustments made by color calibration profiles, so a monitor with more accurate colors out-of-box is always better.

I think you are only missing HDCP by not going Dell, and the price to pay for that would be high IMO if you ended up with a screen that had backlight homogeneity problems, more pinkish whites, dead pixels, over saturated colors, etc... Plus a restocking fee of 15% (ouch).

I seriously think that if you are happy with what you have, you should keep it and be happy ;)

Other than HDCP, typical PVA horizontal gamma shift and maybe slightly less sharp text, I don't see where the Dell is any better.

Also, the factory color calibration on the Dells is not as good as on the Samsungs in my experience.

Text sharpness can be an issue. ClearType text on the 30" Samsung panel is indeed slightly less sharp than on the 30" LG panels. It's a slight but noticeable difference, and it's unfortunate. Without this problem, I'd be completely happy with the Samsung panel since I don't care much about the gamma shift. As it is, I alternate between my Eizo CG301W (Samsung panel) and my NEC LCD3090WQXi (LG panel) - I'm not completely happy with either one of them. Still waiting for someone to get it completely right...

Also, the factory color calibration on the Dells is not as good as on the Samsungs in my experience.

Text sharpness can be an issue. ClearType text on the 30" Samsung panel is indeed slightly less sharp than on the 30" LG panels. It's a slight but noticeable difference, and it's unfortunate. Without this problem, I'd be completely happy with the Samsung panel since I don't care much about the gamma shift. As it is, I alternate between my Eizo CG301W (Samsung panel) and my NEC LCD3090WQXi (LG panel) - I'm not completely happy with either one of them. Still waiting for someone to get it completely right...

same boat as you visualguy..... I am even thinking about getting the new LG 30" just to try it out, and do some tests with it, but again scared to get a bad screen with all the issues.

by the way for your samsung pva do you leave cleartype on? or just leave it off? i just left the cleartype on.. using windows xp scaling dpi.. in the vista OS.

Sell it and get a W3000H if you don't mind the WCG.
I dont mind the WCG, I do need to see the LG 30" in person to see how bad the anti glare hard coating is though...i like the samsung pva hardcoating... makes the screen look clean..

Back