Just purchased a 21.5" iMac

Status
Not open for further replies.

itguru

Weaksauce
I decided to go with the iMac due to the fact that I perform 99% of my work at my desk, and price. For not much more than the price of a mac mini, you can have a complete computer with an led monitor. It seemed like a great buy to me!

This is not my first mac. In the past, I have had a power book G4. I didn't realize how much I missed working on a mac!

I still have my gaming pc for well, just gaming. However, besides gaming, I have COMPLETLY converted over to a mac.

It just works. :) :)

Um, congratulations?? :eek:

And FWIW, I have 10 PC's at my home currently, and oddly enough, they all "just work" too.

Way too weird........:p

Good luck, Im with you on the mac Mini, while it seemed a cool idea, it wasnt quite polished enough to be all it could have been compared to other offerings in the market.

cool

I wish I could afford a 27" imac, so I can ditch the hackintosh.

Um, congratulations?? :eek:

And FWIW, I have 10 PC's at my home currently, and oddly enough, they all "just work" too.

Way too weird........:p

Good luck, Im with you on the mac Mini, while it seemed a cool idea, it wasnt quite polished enough to be all it could have been compared to other offerings in the market.

Im curious as to what you mean by "wasn't quite polished enough..." It runs OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, which is as polished, if not more polished than Win 7, in my opinion.

I was a Mac user for roughly three years (since the iPhone's debut) but I then went back to the PC thing because I needed a netbook for my car. so I figured I could just use the netbook as my main computer because 95% of my computer needs are for net browsing and email.

so I sold my Macbook Pro about four months ago and I thought I was gonna be happy. key word here being "thought". so after dealing with the typical Windows hang ups, typical Windows crashes and so on, I finally threw in the towel and I just bought a 27" iMac.

lets just say it feels great to be back home again.

I was a Mac user for roughly three years (since the iPhone's debut) but I then went back to the PC thing because I needed a netbook for my car. so I figured I could just use the netbook as my main computer because 95% of my computer needs are for net browsing and email.

so I sold my Macbook Pro about four months ago and I thought I was gonna be happy. key word here being "thought". so after dealing with the typical Windows hang ups, typical Windows crashes and so on, I finally threw in the towel and I just bought a 27" iMac.

LOL... comparing a netbook to a 27" imac... seems fair.

LOL, comparing a netbook($300??) to a 27" iMac($2000+??) LOL again I say....

I went from iMac 24" to core i7 (win 7 from beta to RTM), back to Macbook 13" for the same reasons.

LOL, comparing a netbook($300??) to a 27" iMac($2000+??) LOL again I say....

okay, let me explain. I bought the netbook because most my of my computing needs are only for simple things like email and web browsing. I figured the netbook could easily do those tasks which of course it does. but I then needed to rip some DVDs to my iPhone. this is when I realized how weak my netbook really is. it took my netbook something like 7 hours to encode one DVD movie.

that's when I decided to buy a regular computer again. I usually don't rip DVDs on a regular basis but still. seven hours is very painful that's the reason I bought another Mac.

Consistency means more to me than compatibility, and with my past experiences, Apple has provided a more consistent experience than Microsoft has. As long as I can find applications to do the things I need to do, and they work how I like, then I have no problem using something that isn't 'compatible with everything' because, for me, it is.

Speed is relative based on use. I was not using the core i7's potential at the time, so I didn't need it. I had access to faster machines for compiling and other tasks that needed the horsepower. And now I have a core i7 iMac for my compiling needs, and a pair of xServes, everything connected up with xgrid, with some nifty extensions into xcode for distributed compiling.

Apple with OS X and the iPhone OS makes for a very consistent, convenient experience, that allows me to not have to deal with stupid issues on production systems. I like to tweak, but not on my production systems. I want them to function properly, without any hassle or tweaking from me. Apple allows for that. For me, Microsoft does not.

yeah.. because thats consistent, and without need of serious tweaking... and no, you could not build a 700 dollar rig that would match my iMac, thanks.. the display alone is worth $1000 at minimum

yeah.. because thats consistent, and without need of serious tweaking... and no, you could not build a 700 dollar rig that would match my iMac, thanks.. the display alone is worth $1000 at minimum

$1100 from Dell, closer to $1400-$1500 when NEC releases theirs. The iMac is a tremendous value considering the display and internal hardware you're getting, and in an all-in-one no less (everyone else's gives significantly less bang for buck).

Thanks seprico

Let's see, equivalent desktop would be..

1100 Dell monitor
200 core i7
100 RAM
150 psu
150 gnu
100 (low) motherboard
70 hdd
100 case
100 mouse + keyboard
50 speakers
150 OS
30 DVD writer

That ends up being 2300 for an equivalent to the core i7 and I'm pretty sure my specs are bare minimum, for the most part. That's not including the software suite (iLife)' or a pretty much all inclusive support package. Oh, and your forgetting the ability to natively run every os on the market. A great thing for developers and security pros.

Btw, a similarly configured imac is 2200. 100 dollars cheqper than my theoretical build with the same specs. Core i7 920, HD 4850, 4gb ram, 1TB hdd, keyboard, mouse, speakers. 750w psu, win7 ultimate.

Still enjoying the iMac. I'm glad to hear that mostly everyone is enjoying their mac as much as I am! :)

Thanks seprico

Let's see, equivalent desktop would be..

1100 Dell monitor
200 core i7
100 RAM
150 psu
150 gnu
100 (low) motherboard
70 hdd
100 case
100 mouse + keyboard
50 speakers
150 OS
30 DVD writer

That ends up being 2300 for an equivalent to the core i7 and I'm pretty sure my specs are bare minimum, for the most part. That's not including the software suite (iLife)' or a pretty much all inclusive support package. Oh, and your forgetting the ability to natively run every os on the market. A great thing for developers and security pros.

Btw, a similarly configured imac is 2200. 100 dollars cheqper than my theoretical build with the same specs. Core i7 920, HD 4850, 4gb ram, 1TB hdd, keyboard, mouse, speakers. 750w psu, win7 ultimate.

Way to pick arbitrary prices to make an Apple product seem cost-efficient. You're paying for the brand. It goes more like:
300 24" Samsung monitor
200 core i7
100 RAM
80 PSU 500W (750W is waaay overkill, unless its a poor quality unit)
150 mobo
100 video card
100 case ( for a NICE one, can be had for 50)
50 for comparable mouse + keyboard
0 for OS (unless you MUST have Windows 7, even then, no one buys ultimate lol)
30 DVD writer
50 speakers
----
$1160? Now you know why Apple makes ~60% profit on everything they sell.

Way to pick arbitrary prices to make an Apple product seem cost-efficient. You're paying for the brand. It goes more like:
300 24" Samsung monitor
200 core i7
100 RAM
80 PSU 500W (750W is waaay overkill, unless its a poor quality unit)
150 mobo
100 video card
100 case ( for a NICE one, can be had for 50)
30 DVD writer
50 speakers
----
$1160? Now you know why Apple makes ~60% profit on everything they sell.

Hard drive?
I doubt that monitor is comparable anyway.

300 24" Samsung monitor
I'm not aware of any 24" IPS Samsung display, let alone a $300 Samsung IPS display. For $300, I would expect TN or S-PVA and CFL backlighting. Hardly comparable to the IPS panel and LED backlighting (and higher pixel pitch) in the iMac.

The new Apple keyboard is excellent and well worth the $49 price tag (the wired one with numkeys, anyway). There is no comparable mouse on the market right now: the Magic Mouse is genuinely the only mouse of its type. I'm not that big a fan of it personally, but that has nothing to do with the price comparison.

You're paying around $80-100 for a good quality PC keyboard and a good quality mouse. You just aren't getting that for $50.

Why would the OS be $0?

I was doing as close to apples to apples as I possibly could. Same equipment, same specs, I may have been off on the pay, but that's about it. to make yours even close to comparable you have to add at least 800 dollars to the monitor. Your comparison even with no os and crap hardware is still favorable towards the iMac
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I'm not aware of any 24" IPS Samsung display, let alone a $300 Samsung IPS display. For $300, I would expect TN or S-PVA and CFL backlighting. Hardly comparable to the IPS panel and LED backlighting (and higher pixel pitch) in the iMac.
http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php
Has plenty of IPS panels if that's so important. There's a few 24" IPS displays there with the same dot pitch (lower dot pitch is better, not higher) at around $450. If LED backlighting is what makes or breaks it for you, spend the $899 on the Apple Cinema Display. That's $449 that could be spent elsewhere.

The new Apple keyboard is excellent and well worth the $49 price tag (the wired one with numkeys, anyway). There is no comparable mouse on the market right now: the Magic Mouse is genuinely the only mouse of its type. I'm not that big a fan of it personally, but that has nothing to do with the price comparison.
I've used apple keyboards. Wasn't impressed. It needs to be able to type well. Personally I like razer mice, but they are out of that price range.

Why would the OS be $0?
Linux. Plenty of good linux distros out there with any features (and more) found on Leopard & Windows.

congrats on your new mac

guys quick hijacking his thread.

ive loved the H for years but theres a reason the H's mac forum is one of the worst on the net. almost every mac post ends up in a ridiculous debate about the platform.

cut it out guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back