Just please keep in mind we want both ATI + nVidia to win

Labrador

[H]ard|Gawd
What I mean is, I hope know one is now saying that since the 7800GTX-512mb is top dog today, they hope ATI dies :( If we dont have stiff competition nVidia would have never made this high end card, and we wouldnt even be playing our games at 1600x1200 4xAA/16xAF at butter smooth fps.

Just like that ATI created a killer card in the X850XTpe, that was a better performer and better IQ than the 6800Ultra, nVidia feared what ATI possibly was getting ready to release in theR520 so they made a kick ass card and released it on launch day in June :) I bet the same thing is going to happen this Spring, when ATI release their R580 aka X1900XT, you know full well ATI is pissed they lost to nVidia and will be sure to create a killer fast card, and word on the street is it will be fast tracked to come out sooner than normal like late Winter time frame.

My whole point is we want both nVidia + ATI to do well, so then us GAMERS have a good choice of card's to chose from, and developer's will make cooler games.

Even if there wasnt competition, nVidia (or ATI) would release better cards in their next generation. The thing is, the 'generations' would be further apart...meaning not every year or so. Probably every couple of years.

I wish it was more than 2 companies.. I liked it when it was between nvidia, ati, 3dfx, and even matrox with their g400 max at the time all duking it out.

DangerIsGo said:
Even if there wasnt competition, nVidia (or ATI) would release better cards in their next generation. The thing is, the 'generations' would be further apart...meaning not every year or so. Probably every couple of years.

I bought my first video card back in the VooDoo2 days, I remember when nVidia owned the market from the GeForce1 days up to GeForce4600, and it is funny some of the cards were almost the same just different names. GeForce2 to 3 were like 30% difference, and the 3-4 was like 20% at best.

Only since the 9700Pro came out have cards doubled in speed every year, because of the stiff competition, and also game's will get better looking faster. Dang in a couple more years we will have the nVidia 10800Ultra running at 1ghz, with 1gb memory needing it's own PSU to handle playing UT2009

magnetik said:
I wish it was more than 2 companies.. I liked it when it was between nvidia, ati, 3dfx, and even matrox with their g400 max at the time all duking it out.

Matrox and their 3-LCD capable card, that would allow game's to be played across 3 screens
:eek:

3DFX failed and someone else stepped up. If ATI falls, another company will step up (S3, Bitboyz, VIA, Matrox, etc.)

If NVIDIA won and stopped improving their cards every year, people would stop upgrading their computers every year (or so).

At best NVIDIA may dominate the narrow high end market.

XGI makes very good DirectX9 video cards with HDTV support.
http://www.xgitech.com/products/products_2.asp?P=8

PowerVR is still in business.

I wish there were more players as well, the more the competition the better for us end users :)

PRIME1 said:
3DFX failed and someone else stepped up. If ATI falls, another company will step up (S3, Bitboyz, VIA, Matrox, etc.)

If NVIDIA won and stopped improving their cards every year, people would stop upgrading their computers every year (or so).

At best NVIDIA may dominate the narrow high end market.

XGI makes very good DirectX9 video cards with HDTV support.
http://www.xgitech.com/products/products_2.asp?P=8

please don't tell me you just said Bitboys. :p ... I think all those posted go under "they say they are gonna step up but never do" category. :D

magnetik said:
please don't tell me you just said Bitboyz. :p ... I think all those posted go under "they say they are gonna step up but never do" category. :D
I agree, however if NVIDIA or ATI went out of business and started to slack that could leave a window for another company to step up.

ATI was not much of a contender in the 3D market, until they bought a talented 3D company called ArtX and came out with the R300 core.

Tech is a business where you can never sit still. Just look at what google did.

PRIME1 said:
I agree, however if NVIDIA or ATI went out of business and started to slack that could leave a window for another company to step up.

ATI was not much of a contender in the 3D market, until they bought a talented 3D company called ArtX and came out with the R300 core.

Tech is a business where you can never sit still. Just look at what google did.

I know... I am just messing with ya.. I just remember numerous times long ago that Bitboys would have a press release about how revolutionary their new card is going to be.. even have previews in magazines ... I would wait and wait, other manufacturers would come out with their new cards.. then when I finally forget about them.. bam.. another press release... happened a few times IIRC.

well it would be alot more interesting if another company would step up up to nvidia and provide a 3 competition, for one it will benefit us as a user :D, for once there should be a company which can build a card that is able to beat or surpass both Nvidia and ATI, that would make both Nvidia and ATi scramble, i would like to see a 3 way battle with graphic card.

even if one company fails, the consumer has the right to reject any product, so Nvidia couldn't cahrge insane prices, even without ATI..

Brent_Justice said:
bitboys! oy!

*bizarre ghetto hand wave*

Oh no you dinnt!!! :eek:

On a more serious note...

I remember a time I was looking forward to playing Duke Nukem Forever on my TNT2 Ultra.

the wording here makes me think of us all holding hands, sitting around a campfire

kombya lord, kombya.....

Seriously though, I love it when companys get servered a big plate full of their arse. Its exactly what they need and if this pushes ATI to the point where their company goes belly up, tough. Same goes for nvidia. Someone will always swoop in and take their place, don't worry about that (where do you think the laid off staff would go?)

I'm not really worried.

Actually, I would like one of them to lose big time so we can have some new faces. Have more than a two party system

The company I see mostly likely to become the third party is XGI. They have a good amount of talent but they just need to get off thier ass and do something. Their newest card is about as powerful as a 9600 Pro, which isn't much, but I see alot of potental.

when bitboys oy were pushing the 3d glaze, they announced a website where they would "emulate" the 3d glaze card so you could compare it to your own card. i love those guys.

I really wish that there wasnt such crazy competition between the companies. If they just slowed down and made new generations every 1-2 years, I think it would give software developers time to catch up, and optimize games much more. It would also allow much more time for Graphics card companies to develop new technologies instead of rushing out new cards every 6 months.

S3 is right around the corner, all they need is that one BIG push haha!

ok seriously though at least they're trying.

S3 has a great card for contending against the low range market, but i doubt we'll see them trying their time in the high end market, i doubt we'll see anyone try to dabble up there, not enough money, everyone seems to be going for the OEM market

If there was only one major discrete graphics maker, someone would step in and undercut them after the 900 pound gorilla gets lazy. Not after we enthusiasts endured ay ear or two of price gouging and stifled innovation, so competition is a good thing ,regardless of who is providing it. Cheers!

Not always...hell, just look at Creative and all the also-ran manufacturers...where are they now? :( It's sad to see the audio market stagnate like that just because of one greedy, patent-crazed company... :mad:

Well, oddly enough Intel, in cooperation with some physical codec manufacturers, is giving Creative a run for their money in the mainstream segments, with Azalia HD audio. Also, M-Audio with the Via chipsets is still around. Once again, no one company can hope to domiante a market completely.

Although I imagine intergrated solutions for sound have the largest use for consumers, in terms of actual sound cards I imagine there is little competition against Creative. It wouldn't be so bad if Creative tried to improve their soundcards with new, innovative technology but no...

V0ltage said:
I really wish that there wasnt such crazy competition between the companies. If they just slowed down and made new generations every 1-2 years, I think it would give software developers time to catch up, and optimize games much more. It would also allow much more time for Graphics card companies to develop new technologies instead of rushing out new cards every 6 months.

the Xi-fi spanks all their old sound cards...

the new sound cards are quite explisit

the problem with sound, how good can a card make sound ... sound, it really depends on the software/file you are using, to be honest i doubt i could really tell a whole difference between the different audigys in Doom3

the competition we are getting is good, its not the fact they are coming out with new cards that are keeping games from developing with new visual effects (too fast to keep up) its the fact that these new visual effects released in specs under D3D and OpenGL take alot of time to develop and integrate, the only way we'll start seeing new effects, faster, better, is with better development kits put out by companies like microsoft - which is understanding how slow gamedeveloment is becoming and wants to make it faster to push games out

Competition is good, but as already stated by others, I would rather have slower product cycles.

We'd get more opportunities to get value out of our expensive purchases and games would be the focus. I'd rather have better games than new hardware every 6 months and the newest eye-candy game that turns out to be crap for gameplay.

Spare-Flair said:
Competition is good, but as already stated by others, I would rather have slower product cycles.

We'd get more opportunities to get value out of our expensive purchases and games would be the focus. I'd rather have better games than new hardware every 6 months and the newest eye-candy game that turns out to be crap for gameplay.

I couldn't agree more. It's been said before but graphic card tech is moving faster than games quality. Except for Fear which could be arguably be a poorly optimized game.

I would actually like to see Matrox back in the picture. They made some pretty good cards back in the day.

hehe, reading this thread had me remenicing so bad. I had to get out all my old video cards just to look at them again.. laid before me is an S3 savage four 32 meg, ati rage pro turbo, rage pro turbo AGP, matrox millenium, matrox millenium 2 with expansion memory card, ati mach 64 turbo with expansion card, creative permedia 2, and of course the good ol diamond viper v7700... you can tell what I did with all my money back in the day lol.

I remember days when my dream card was a Matrox G400 32MB card.

But man, I miss 3DFx. I LOVED Glide!

Back