Just picked up a Proliant DL380 G5

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Cost me 100 bucks. I wasn't expecting much but it's in excellent shape and is fully functional. Came with 2 Xeon dual core @ 2.66ghz, 4gb of ECC ram, 2 147gb SAS 10k drives and a P400 controller and 2 PSU's.

Just loaded Win 2008 R2 and it went in without a hitch.

For 100 bucks delivered, I'm a happy camper.

And now to go play some more. Gotta figure out what I'm going to use it for. It's server loud so it'll have to be in an unpopulated area, lol.

haha yeah loud being an understatement :D I was actually afraid when I first cold-booted mine for sure. I do have a question though: are your PSU's hot even if the server isn't running? I had to unplug mine until I figure out if that's normal or not.

Mine has been running all day updating Server 2k8 R2 so I don't know about when it's off but running it isn't anywhere near hot, in fact, it's cooler than my desktop. At the moment I have only one PSU running tho.

I popped the top and it's squeaky clean on the inside, looks like new in fact. I just ordered 6 HD caddies for future expansion. It's got 12 small fans that scream like a tortured witch. It's gonna be anti social for sure.

And yea, when it first comes on it sounds like a 747 revving for takeoff. Was thinking this is actually too loud to keep in the house but then it quieted down a good bit.

I've got 2 of those machines laying around, one with 2 Quad cores E5450 @ 3.00Ghz and 32GB RAM, and one with 2x Quad Cores E5420 @ 2,5Ghz with 20GB RAM. Pretty fun stuff until you notice the electric bill.. :p

Yea, I think it pulls about 400 watts. No gonna be running it 24/7 but it is fun to play with. HP's management tools are awesome.

The Gen6's (and later) come with the quiet mode fans where they don't sound like a rocket 24/7 on a daily basis. Plus the Gen6's also come with Hyperthreaded CPU's for better VM performance.

The Gen6's (and later) come with the quiet mode fans where they don't sound like a rocket 24/7 on a daily basis. Plus the Gen6's also come with Hyperthreaded CPU's for better VM performance.

My now-rattletrap long-in-the-tooth ML370 G6 is actually quite quiet most of the time. However, when you install a discrete video card and then load the CPUs up to full, I found the fans cycle hard...going from a low speed and then to 100% and back again...over and over as if the fan tuning for that scenario hadn't been tuned properly or the system was over-reacting to the video card's presence.

The racks at my job that have the G6's and G7's are pretty quiet in comparisons to the other racks with Super Micro's and Dell's from those days. Also been the most stable servers that we ever brought. 3-4 years up time never shut down, never had a hardware problem.

If the Gen 5 are just like the Gen 1 (Dual P3's) they are loud like you are in a airplane during take off..

LOL, just picked up another server to play with. A Supermicro CSE 815TQ with a X7DWU, 2 3.0ghz Xeons 16gb of ECC Ram, 4 Seagate Cheetah 15k 300gb Drives (all 4 in perfect condition according to HD Sentinel). Just loaded Win Server 2008 R2. It's fully functional. :D

Total cost, delivered was $105. $80 for the server and $25 for shipping. The HD's alone are worth more than that.

Now the HP G5 is collecting dust. :cool:

59ZcdPu.jpg

I did a round of server upgrades for a hardware chain few years ago and I pulled out a ton of those old units that just screamed and put in new hp g6s. so much quieter! during signout in the AM several of their onsite "techs" had to ask if everything was running. they had never heard the rooms so quiet.
on a side note, I have at least a dozen hp G6 rail kits still kicking around. anyone know what to do with them?

Back