Just picked up 5870. What's a suggested OC on the processor to remove bottleneck?

cmay119

Limp Gawd
Hello all, I just picked up an XFX 5870 that should be delivered on Tuesday. Currently on my i7 920 I'm running a modest OC of 3.0GHz. Will this be enough to fully utilize the 5870 @ Stock speeds? Or should I push for more?

The reason I ask, is because I'm having some trouble getting this processor stable at much over this speed (older C0). I have a Prolimatech Megahalems with just a push configuration (motherboard heatsinks won't allow for push/pull). Temps are good, but I'm failing to get a better clock. I'm sure due to user error.

I'm otherwise content with this overclock for right now, but not so if I'm going to hold back the 5870.

Thanks for any help or input. :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'll be gaming @ 1920x1200.

A 920 at 3GHz isn't going to hold back a single 5870 (or any single GPU for that matter) @ 1920x1200 in practically any game at max settings. 3GHz does seem a little low for a stable oc, my D0 920 hit 3.7 with about 5 minutes of effort.

A 920 at 3GHz isn't going to hold back a single 5870 (or any single GPU for that matter) @ 1920x1200 in practically any game at max settings. 3GHz does seem a little low for a stable oc, my D0 920 hit 3.7 with about 5 minutes of effort.

I agree. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong. The last system I had was a Socket 939 system, so I'm pretty new to the bios settings on this Intel system.

Thanks for the heads-up on card though. I'm glad that I'll be getting all of it from such a modest clock.

The thing is, whenever I try to push for higher when overclocking, the board will play hell even trying to post properly. Usually resulting in me having to clear the CMOS to get the back to the bios.

I suppose that's for another thread, though.

Once again, thanks for the help and quick response. :)

Thanks for the responses fellas. I'll see if I can get this CPU stable @ 3.6 or better. :D

if you need help with the OC here's a good thread for settings to use on your eVGA board. :) That guide is for 4ghz, but you can ad-lib for 3.6 or whatever you're comfy with.

PS: at 1920x1200 that 5870 is going to shred... so even if you can't get more out of your cpu you're going to be happy with the performance of your system with the new card. :)

if you need help with the OC here's a good thread for settings to use on your eVGA board. :) That guide is for 4ghz, but you can ad-lib for 3.6 or whatever you're comfy with.

PS: at 1920x1200 that 5870 is going to shred... so even if you can't get more out of your cpu you're going to be happy with the performance of your system with the new card. :)

Wonderful. Thank you for the link. I'll go review it now. I really hope I'm not sitting on what would be one of the worst clocking i7's out there. As I said earlier though, I'm sure I'm just not setting it up properly, hence the poor results.

Wonderful. Thank you for the link. I'll go review it now. I really hope I'm not sitting on what would be one of the worst clocking i7's out there. As I said earlier though, I'm sure I'm just not setting it up properly, hence the poor results.

it's completely possible.. er.. hopefully not the worst, but with the memory controller on the cpu there is more that can foul a cpu OC on the cpu itself.. anyways.. good luck on seeing if your can extend you OC a bit. :)

Back