Just ordered Z790 Aorus Master, worth jumping to 13th gen from 12th gen?

xDiVolatilX

2[H]4U
Excited about the Z790 Aorus Master board coming in this week.
Question is, worth it jump from 12700kf to the 13700kf or even wait for the 13900kS?
My original plan was to get the KS coming next year but at the same time I don't need any e cores I'm happy with my 4 e cores and 8 or 16 seem ridiculous to me the problem is the clock speed is higher on 13th gen.
Caught between a rock and a hard place. Aorus Master can do ddr5 8000 in the future also.
The rabbit hole gets deep fellas lol

IPC isn't that different from 12th to 13th gen, however 13th gen seem to be more happy about higher clocks, at least when it comes to stock behavior. Individual golden chips do not apply :) . However this does increase consumption. Win some lose some.
Personally i wouldn't do it, but if you have the itch and the cash, go for it. You get a few extra ecores and higher clocks out of the box.

This guy rambles a lot but the results are interesting. 12900k vs 13700k same settings:

IPC isn't that different from 12th to 13th gen, however 13th gen seem to be more happy about higher clocks, at least when it comes to stock behavior. Individual golden chips do not apply :) . However this does increase consumption. Win some lose some.
Personally i wouldn't do it, but if you have the itch and the cash, go for it. You get a few extra ecores and higher clocks out of the box.

This guy rambles a lot but the results are interesting. 12900k vs 13700k same settings:

Interesting video.
Although I wish he just ran them stock. Running them both at 5.3 erases their stock performance numbers. I wanted to see them against each other with the stock 5.0 max on the 127 and stock 5.4 max on the 137. Equalizing them of course makes them perform similarly. Also not sure what Gou he was using. He may be Gpu limited. That plus matching the max boost doesn't surprise me that the figures are the same.
But if running them stock on a 4090 or higher has the same results then I guess my 12700 is a keeper for sure. Why would anyone upgrade to a 13th gen after having a 12th gen? Any point at all?

For games: 13th gen can get much higher clocks than 12th gen thus better performance.
13th gen also has bigger caches but its hard to notice IPC difference so maybe caches offset other changes in the core design eg. made to increase maximum clocks. Hard to say really.

In either way Raptor Lake is faster and natural fit for Z790 motherboard.

As for e-cores: true, not very necessary for games and even 4 e-cores to run background tasks are overkill. That said e-cores can provide a lot of additional MT performance should it be needed and in games won't interfere with power usage, especially when not used and parked - by default Windows will park cores (read: temporarily disable) thus power consumption will be virtually the same.

For games: 13th gen can get much higher clocks than 12th gen thus better performance.
13th gen also has bigger caches but its hard to notice IPC difference so maybe caches offset other changes in the core design eg. made to increase maximum clocks. Hard to say really.

In either way Raptor Lake is faster and natural fit for Z790 motherboard.

As for e-cores: true, not very necessary for games and even 4 e-cores to run background tasks are overkill. That said e-cores can provide a lot of additional MT performance should it be needed and in games won't interfere with power usage, especially when not used and parked - by default Windows will park cores (read: temporarily disable) thus power consumption will be virtually the same.
Great Info thanks. Although I'm still uncertain if I want to upgrade to a 13th gen from the 12700kf.
What about if I overclock it to raptor lake territory or close would it bridge the gap enough to skip it?

Why would you buy a Z790 board? Did you have a DDR4 z690?
I had a MSI Z690 Edge Wifi DDR5 board and I hated it. The only thing I liked about it was the glowing dragon on the heatsinks. I thought I wouldn't mind the lack of features but I started to regret it. Returned it. Glad I did.
Grabbed a Z790 Aorus master. This thing is a monster. I think it weighs 10 pounds. I'm not even kidding lol.
I have DDR5 6000 C32 Z5 kit 64gb 32x2

I had a MSI Z690 Edge Wifi DDR5 board and I hated it. The only thing I liked about it was the glowing dragon on the heatsinks. I thought I wouldn't mind the lack of features but I started to regret it. Returned it. Glad I did.
Grabbed a Z790 Aorus master. This thing is a monster. I think it weighs 10 pounds. I'm not even kidding lol.
I have DDR5 6000 C32 Z5 kit 64gb 32x2
I am a cheap motherboard guy but to answer your first post,not that it matters you will upgrade to 13th gen.I say go for the CPU you want and 13600K is fine PC Gaming CPU.My 13700KF can do up to 6200Mhz tested and 13900KS should hit 6500Mhz on couple cores.
Does not make a difference in FPS gaming going from 12th gen to 13th gen at higher resolutions,only really applies at 720p/1080p CPU bound senecio's .

My PC rigs in the last couple months 12600K/12900?13700KF/AMD 7700x with GPUs 3070TI/3080/3090/4080/4090 all the same and the fastest by a couple FPS for CPu's was AMD7700x in games I tested,all CPU's were the same .CPU clock speeds are for e-peen and also Ram at higher resolution from my testing does not add anything really but DDR5 may help down the road.

EG: 13700KF at 5000/5500/6000Mhz ddr5 6000 Witcher 3 next gen
5-6.jpg

I am a cheap motherboard guy but to answer your first post,not that it matters you will upgrade to 13th gen.I say go for the CPU you want and 13600K is fine PC Gaming CPU.My 13700KF can do up to 6200Mhz tested and 13900KS should hit 6500Mhz on couple cores.
Does not make a difference in FPS gaming going from 12th gen to 13th gen at higher resolutions,only really applies at 720p/1080p CPU bound senecio's .

My PC rigs in the last couple months 12600K/12900?13700KF/AMD 7700x with GPUs 3070TI/3080/3090/4080/4090 all the same and the fastest by a couple FPS for CPu's was AMD7700x in games I tested,all CPU's were the same .CPU clock speeds are for e-peen and also Ram at higher resolution from my testing does not add anything really but DDR5 may help down the road.

EG: 13700KF at 5000/5500/6000Mhz ddr5 6000 Witcher 3 next gen
View attachment 534558
Interesting results. Yeah I'm not doing it for any epeen purpose at all. I really just want it to be powerful for the next number of years new releases of games. So I can upgrade my GPU to a Nvidia 5000 series when It releases in 2 years or so and not worry about the entire platform. I play at 144hz 2160p so I do need a powerful gaming PC, even if I play casually. May get ddr5- 8000 later also if it makes a difference. Right now just trying to decide if it's worth stepping up to a rapter from alder. Don't think so, so far. Especially since I'm going to overclock the 12700 to the max I can get away with. Appreciate the insight, thank you.

Interesting results. Yeah I'm not doing it for any epeen purpose at all. I really just want it to be powerful for the next number of years new releases of games. So I can upgrade my GPU to a Nvidia 5000 series when It releases in 2 years or so and not worry about the entire platform. I play at 144hz 2160p so I do need a powerful gaming PC, even if I play casually. May get ddr5- 8000 later also if it makes a difference. Right now just trying to decide if it's worth stepping up to a rapter from alder. Don't think so, so far. Especially since I'm going to overclock the 12700 to the max I can get away with. Appreciate the insight, thank you.
You will update lol,it is ok we all do it even though there will be no difference.Hey maybe you will find there is a difference.

You know you want to upgrade to 13700KF 6200Mhz PC Gaming CPU
R.gif

If you manage to OC 12700K to Raptor Lake levels then it would make zero sense to get new CPU.
What else to say... good luck 😅

Seriously though, Raptor is evolution, not revolution...

Say hello to your new processor 🙃
13051.jpg

Lol you guys are funny haha
I'm not here to be pushed over the edge. Really lol.
I'm not going to get the raptor lake anytime soon.
Maaaaaaybe I'll consider it down the line but as you guys have mentioned It's just not worth it right now.
Let's see how much the 13900KS goes for that's going to be a top quality piece of silicon I might be interested in. 😄

Back