Just ordered the LG 32UD59-B 32-Inch 4K monitor, good buy ?

Subzerok11

Gawd
I must have a monitor with a VA panel @4K and wanted a big monitor too so I can sit back a bit with a controller. Got to have great contrast and blacks and I'm not interested in 144fps gaming, PQ is more important to me. I heard great things about this the monitor but I couldn't find any pro reviews for it.

I also considered the AOC U3277PWQU 32-Inch Class VA LED Monitor, 4K but reviews said for VA panel the contrast was kinda low and and the monitor had input lag kinda high even for a VA. Also there was a Samsung 4K VA one and one guy were saying the LG was still better then the Samsung he had both side by side. Sorry I don't have the exact model of the Samsung.

I'm interested in a report once you get it :) I think the panel itself is the same as used in the AOC. LG seems to have a less aggressive AG coating though and has sharpness setting exposed (comments based on being an AOC Q3277PQU owner and having tested the LG 27UD58 which I really liked apart from a manufacturing problem on my unit). For the 32UD59-B I would be interested in how it performs in games generally (Skyrim vegetation seemed to be problematic with some display + video card combos) and how bad of a banding (if any) you will see on yours on light/dark gray images.

I'm in a similar situation. Ordered an Acer ET322QK (32", 16:9, 4k, 60hz). I'm going back to 16:9 after a few years of 21:9 and while I planned to order a monitor, my only priority was to also get one with a VA panel since somehow I've wound up with every monitor and TV in my house being IPS, and I remember loving the VA TV I had before.

Post back with your impressions of the LG. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I hope I made the right decision by getting the Acer.

I'm going back to 16:9 after a few years of 21:9
Could you elaborate what you didn't like about 21:9 if I'm not intruding? I also am debating if I should try it out but am wary about IPS glow being too bad on ultrawide and also the head turning could be excessive, but I newer sat in front of an 34 ultrawide so would like the input of somebody who has :) Currently I'm using a 32 inch 1440p at work and other than the low ppi I am pleased with it, head turning is minimal and there are very few times when I would wish for more space to the side. I really can't stand multi monitor setups, since I find it hard on the eyes and neck.

Could you elaborate what you didn't like about 21:9 if I'm not intruding? I also am debating if I should try it out but am wary about IPS glow being too bad on ultrawide and also the head turning could be excessive, but I newer sat in front of an 34 ultrawide so would like the input of somebody who has :) Currently I'm using a 32 inch 1440p at work and other than the low ppi I am pleased with it, head turning is minimal and there are very few times when I would wish for more space to the side. I really can't stand multi monitor setups, since I find it hard on the eyes and neck.

While I believe 21:9 is the future of monitors, right now, for me, 16:9 is more convenient for the things I do on my PC. Many games still don't offer native 21:9 support. Honestly though I think it's more to do with my dissatifaction in the ultrawides I chose - LG 34UM68-P. 2560x1080 is just too low a resolution for that size screen. Text quality is awful. Movies look great but I rarely watch those on my PC.

I'm in a similar situation. Ordered an Acer ET322QK (32", 16:9, 4k, 60hz). I'm going back to 16:9 after a few years of 21:9 and while I planned to order a monitor, my only priority was to also get one with a VA panel since somehow I've wound up with every monitor and TV in my house being IPS, and I remember loving the VA TV I had before.

Post back with your impressions of the LG. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I hope I made the right decision by getting the Acer.

Monitor was delivered today. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed in the quality of the panel. I don't know if it's because I'm used to the LG's IPS display, but there's quite a bit of color washout on the edges and I have yet to find a good viewing angle. Even at 4+ feet away there is too much color shifting.

really. at 32", I would think there would be minimal color shifting sitting directly in front of it. I have a 40" mu6300 samsung VA on my desk, and only the dark greys shift in color if you move your head to the side.

Can you load up hwinfo64 and see who makes the panel?

really. at 32", I would think there would be minimal color shifting sitting directly in front of it. I have a 40" mu6300 samsung VA on my desk, and only the dark greys shift in color if you move your head to the side.

Can you load up hwinfo64 and see who makes the panel?

Unless I'm looking in the wrong area, it doesn't say.

minfo.jpg

edit: After some more readjusting, I'm ready to retract my previous statement. While the stand on this monitor is really nice, it only allows tilt, so I put some riser feet under it and they made a huge difference. These are the dark blacks and contrast I remember VA offering. Plus, for what must be the first time for me, there is basically no backlight bleed or flashlighting/bright corners, and no cloudiness. Incredible uniformity for this price range.

Last edited:
Well I've had the LG 32UD59-B 32-Inch 4K monitor for over two weeks sorry I have not checked back in, I will from now on. I love this monitor I don't see any blur or ghosting. Colors and all look all uniform. All I had to do is tone down the brightness. Love this monitor for gaming. I will go more into detail tomorrow morning, I have to go now.

yeah, hwinfo64 doesn't help much here.
Hardware ID and monitor name are usually where it tells you who made the panel. In my laptop, it shows the actual panel model.
Acer is probably using Chimei or AUO

I have one of these but only use it for programming so can't speak to gaming / movies. No complaints other than the anti glare is a bit thick.

LG 32UD59-B has a sturdy base and a sleek thin frame. I can't find any complaints about it. This monitor has a VA panel great contrast and blacks, blows TN IPS away. Now what I will say I thought I was going to be able to use this as my main monitor but it turns out after trying it for two weeks it's just too big to be my main monitor. So I'm using it as just for gaming and I have it to the left of me. I've come to realize that 24" is as big as I can handle at approx 2 feet away. I tried moving further but I didn't like the results even at 3 feet away, just didn't feel right, I've always had my monitor about 2 feet away. Bigger the monitor more light it puts out it was just to much even with 4k. If in the future they release a 27" 1440p VA panel I'd be interested. But for now my 24" VA will have to do.

At that distance even 27 inch would be too much. I can't sit nearer than 1.2 meters (that's around 4 feet). I find 27 inch to be just a tad to cramped on 4k (had it on 175% scaling, but maybe this is just because I got used to 32 inch at work), on the other hand IPS glow is not yet a problem at 27 inch and could become one at 32. Ideally I would like a 32 inch 5k IPS screen, currently that doesn't exist so I was hoping for a 4k one, but the price is tempting on this VA. I have it's older brother from AOC with 1440p and there are some aspects of VA that bother me: gamma shift is visible at this size not that bad that it's a deal breaker (not present on IPS), mine has problems with some dark transitions and everything points to this being a general issue on VA screens and this is the deal breaker for me (visible when scrolling some forums like hardforum, but also in some games). Contrast and black are VA strong points for sure, IPS is a downgrade there. But what I am most affraid of with IPS is how bad IPS glow will present itself on a 32 inch screen, but this at least is only visible on dark colors.

How is it in games did you notice any smear or "flickering" on games with a lot of vegetation? My AOC Q3277PQU is awful there, and no OSD setting I tried helped with this.

I picked up this monitor this week after realizing the 43 inch multi-input Dell I was lusting over was just too big for me.

At my 30 inch viewing distance, this is a great monitor. So far, I have only used it for some productivity and work (sadly, my Remote Desktop only supports up to 2560x1440) and some 4k YouTube content (looks amazing).

I plan to fire up some games this weekend and will report back.

I have it running with an RX-480 and have a second 29 inch ultrawide mounted above it which is almost the same widt, so it looks really cool.

Unless I'm looking in the wrong area, it doesn't say.

View attachment 42333

edit: After some more readjusting, I'm ready to retract my previous statement. While the stand on this monitor is really nice, it only allows tilt, so I put some riser feet under it and they made a huge difference. These are the dark blacks and contrast I remember VA offering. Plus, for what must be the first time for me, there is basically no backlight bleed or flashlighting/bright corners, and no cloudiness. Incredible uniformity for this price range.
Looking at reviews of the AOC U3277PWQ, which uses the same panel, color stability is an issue. Colors take on a pink hue near the edges. There also seems to be contrast stability issues in the red color ranges. Real world static contrast is also in the low 2000:1 range, which isn't too great for a VA. Sounds like the panel is really poor quality, which would explain the low price. Acer probably took better care with the frame assembly if you're not having issues with brightness uniformity.

Doing some more research, it sounds like the pink shift toward the edges is an artifact of the panel technology used. It is a VA "type" developed by Innolux called "Azimuthal Anchoring Switch," or AAS for short. It's primary use in the literature seems to be aimed at smaller screens such as those used in smart watches, phones, blood pressure monitors, and other personal medical monitoring devices.

$379 at Microcenter..... if I survive Xmas with any funds left I might have to buy myself a New Year's present.

Back