Just ordered the guts for my X-Qpack! Thanks Newegg!

Scorrn

n00b
1 ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Copper Heatsink - Retail
Item #: N82E16835118115 $49.99

1 LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SHW160P6S05 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827106014 $35.99

1 BIOSTAR TForce6100-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813138264 $69.00

1 XFX PV-T73G-UDD3 GeForce 7600 GT XXX (590MHz) 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814150140 $199.00

1 AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model OSA165CDBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103588 $327.00

1 Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136003 $130.00

1 ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V 500W Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817194003 $109.99

1 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Item #: N82E16835100007 $5.99

Item(s) shipped from TN Tracking Number:
1 Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model PDC2G3200LLK - Retail
Item #: N82E16820220040 $186.99

Subtotal: $1,113.95
What's this? Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $31.71
Rush Order Fee: $2.99
Printer-friendly Version Total: $1,148.65

i have one and fits perfectly on a gigabyte nmf-9 (no built in video)
but it also fits fine on the biostar ones if u dont have a massive chipset cooler

Hah, it's only right to add the X-Fi there to complete the package. Takes load off the CPU during applications = more FPS in games, and of course, better sound quality.

I see no reason for the zalman 7700cu, the stock opteron hsf cools much better.

don't buy AS5 from the egg, they over charge withh shipping. your better off buying it at frys or some other computer shop.

and like others have said, get a sound card with that setup. if you cant afford the X-Fi then an Audigy 2 ZS is also good.

Just ordered the X-Fi... Do I need to order an ethernet card too or will the onboard ethernet work? Some of the early reviews of the board on newegg indicated a frequency of bad LAN ports... Thoughts?

dell 2001fp is a rock solid performer for me, although you could get either the 2005 which is widescreen or the 2405 your choice, all good monitors i'd say

as for the headphones, do you need a mic with that or not?

Well, I'm primarily wanting a light monitor that I can take with me next time I deploy overseas. As far as microphone goes, I've got one of those $10 wal-mart microphones so I guess a real mic would be optimal.

Holy crap. The power supply, the vid card, the motherboard, the processor, the hard drive, the DVD drive, and the Zalmann all arrived today. It shipped yesterday. Gogo 3 day ground!

Stepping on the CPU is CCB1E 0605XPMW.. Not really sure what that all means, but giddyap! I'm going to steal some RAM from one of my other systems and see if I can set this baby up tonight.

mmmmm.. putting everything together :) I pulled the original power supply (never used) out and put the Liberty in. With the Lite-on drive it fit with about an inch and a half to spare. The Zalmann fits with about a half inch to spare. I'm not quite sure where I'm going to put the temperature probes that come with the QPack, currently have the CPU one wedged into one of the strakes of the heat sink and the HDD probe wedged between the side of the HDD and the case mount. The video card fits with probably a millimeter to spare... not much room there! I pulled the RAM from my desktop to put in until my new RAM arrives, only to discover my Kingston HyperX appears to be PC2700, at least according to the lettering on the side. Can't wait until the Patriot 2-3-3-6 PC3200 stuff gets here.

Cool, are you going to mod the case at all?

Are you still looking for monitor/headset? You probably want to get a big CRT for gaming; CRTs are usually better (and a lot cheaper) for gaming. As for the headset, the iCEMAT is beyond awesome.

Well, I need something small enough I can take it with me when I deploy, so a CRT is probably out of the question.

As soon as I get it running! Hopefully the RAM will get here tomorrow. Currently I don't have any funky lighting for it but I might steel my cold LED out my other computer for starters.

Latest update:

She's assembled! Boots to startup! Recognizes the drives! Guess I need to remember how to install an OS.. wonder if I can do it without having a floppy drive installed

Wow.. I'm so excited.. I hit F1 for continue and it continued! Haven't built a new system in like 3 years, could barely remember how to get it started. Its SOOOO easy!

I've hit a snag! I couldn't figure out why the RAM was only showing up at 1GB of RAM... Apparently Newegg shipped 2x512MB instead of 2x1GB of Patriot. I sent the 2x512 back with an RMA and they're going to replace it but I guess it'll be a little while before the new stuff arrives. Probably a week or so... I'm sorely tempted to order some PC4000 stuff.

Scorn, does your LED temp display in the front who temps when its connected? If so, how did you do it? I have everything connected on my qpack, molex connector, temp sensors taped to HD and Heatsink, but it NEVER displays a temp reading, but the LED is lit up. What gives?

Yeah, I simply wedged one of the probes into the heatsink and another between the hard drive and the case. It came on when I powered everything on. Which MB are you using?

scor your set is very similar to mine. You were smart to purchase the liteon dvd becuase liteon are alot smaller than most others giving you room to play around with the cables in back. That zalman heatsink is perfect for it. I have it and love it.

How noisy are the lite on DVD's? Also I'm a lil skeptical on Lite on... I have a Benq lightscribe DVD and its a lil too noisy for me. I have the Antec 2.0 Mod and the BEnq.

MC FLMJIG said:
How noisy are the lite on DVD's? Also I'm a lil skeptical on Lite on... I have a Benq lightscribe DVD and its a lil too noisy for me. I have the Antec 2.0 Mod and the BEnq.

you shouldnt be skeptical at all. LIteon is one of my preferred companies. My two favorite are liteon and plextor. Out of these plextor are the quietest.

Two reasons i like liteon.
First they can take everything i throw at them. these things take alot of media that my other optics cant even read (Sony being one of them).
Second their formfactor is ideal for any environment. My plextor is alot larger. I currently have it in my Qpack and it only gives me less than an inch of backspace. I should have used a liteon.

Yes the liteon is noiser than all my other optics (sony samsung and plextor). but the noise doesnt bother me much. Its only noisy when im burning somehting and not as bad when its reading.

What about watching a DVD? Reading, no?

Not skeptical just fact that they aren't as high quality as some of the other. NEC for ex.

noesis how long is your Plextor and PSU in the Qpack??
Imma built mine next month since the Gigabyte mobo is not available(its for a P4 1.6northwood and 9700Pro vid card) It'll be a just for fun build...
If only Frys got some pretty good board I'll order the qpack nxt week but too bad theres none..

MC FLMJIG said:
What about watching a DVD? Reading, no?

Not skeptical just fact that they aren't as high quality as some of the other. NEC for ex.

I use it alot for watching dvd and its not loud at all. But of course i either have headphones on or my speakers are cranked up so if it did get loud i wouldnt know hehe. But seriously its not bad. Nec is also a good company so i cant comment on them. For me the only company i will never buy from again is sony because they are just a pain in the ass with how sensitive their lasers are.

DeViLdUdE said:
noesis how long is your Plextor and PSU in the Qpack??
Imma built mine next month since the Gigabyte mobo is not available(its for a P4 1.6northwood and 9700Pro vid card) It'll be a just for fun build...
If only Frys got some pretty good board I'll order the qpack nxt week but too bad theres none..

Well the plextor is the damn longest drive. In fact its so long that i had to replace the position of the platinum creative faceplate and place that on top and place the drive underneath or else the psu that came with the Qpack would bump into it. And believe me that the psu is usable but short so i can only imagine how it wouldnt even fit if i used a liberty (which is a very nice psu by the way) or an antec. Bottom line the plextor is by far the quietest optic and the best but its just to freaken long. If you push me hard enough and ask please i can get into my closet and open up the Qpack and tell you the exact measurements.

Currently running at 2.4GHz on 512 MB of Kingston HyperX PC2700 and 512MB of PC2700 ValueRam... Haven't tried higher.. I'm scared what good RAM is going to do when it finally arrives.

Hmmmm.. just noticed my case fan isn't turning on. Power supply fan is rocking, but case fan isn't doing anything. Need to figure that one out.

well I did my googling(word?? verb??) and the Lite On Im eyein on is 170mm long(6 1/2 and 3 lines[the new Plextor is same length and the one I have is longer])... then the PSU I have is 140mm(5 1/2 Flat) ..You think it'll fit? be orderin it monday ...

Good choice on the card OP have it on my new built(well for the dad) pretty fast .. have the eVGA version... For the monitor/LCD instead of online store pick one up at Frys or some etronic store so if it fails somehow its ez to return .. think if you got 1 online and got that prob youll hav to go thru the hassle of RMAing... just some 2 cents..

Back