Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Has anyone compared one of these to an older 2007WFP w/ the S-IPS panel? Namely, is it as easy on the eyes? Goes dim enough? This is a normal gamut monitor, right? Not something sick and twisted like the U2410?

I used 2007WFPs all summer at work while having a 2209 at home. I think I preferred the 2209. This is a bit of a bullshit post because they weren't next to each other, but it did seem easier on the eyes. When the brightness is turned down it does get dim enough for my tastes. The only issue I have with the 2209 is the slight lack of color uniformity. The left and right aren't quite a match.

Oh, and the 2209 is standard gamut.

Well damn...I sure didn't expect an unwaveringly honest and near perfect post to such a niche question! Thanks! I need to have a backup in case this one gives up the ghost. :D

Is it possible to remove AG coating from 2209wa? So there would be no more grainy picture?

Hi
I am new at this forum. Reading about dell 2209wa i decided to buy it.
The colors on monitor are just great but when watching dark scenes (even this forum) both lower corners are bright. Does anyone know how to fix this problem or is it fault with the monitor? The model is 2209WAf REV A02 Made in China.
Thank you.

Hi
I am new at this forum. Reading about dell 2209wa i decided to buy it.
The colors on monitor are just great but when watching dark scenes (even this forum) both lower corners are bright. Does anyone know how to fix this problem or is it fault with the monitor? The model is 2209WAf REV A02 Made in China.
Thank you.

If they are bright from every angle, its backlight bleeding. So your best chance is to persuade Dell, that it's too much so they replace the unit. Otherwise it is just common IPS shimmering now more manifested with e-IPS screens.

Say, I'm trying to drive a similar display ("S2209W") via HDMI-to-DVI at 1080p30, but the display totally screws things up -- it overscans significantly, and looks horribly blurry. In fact, it looks better at 1280x720 input than it does at 1920x1080!

If I give a 1920x1080 screen a 1920x1080 signal, I expect it to display the signal, not give me blurry cut-off garbage! Does anyone know how to turn off this "feature"? The menus are no help at all.

Note that the display source I intend to use can't get the pixel clock high enough for 1080p at anything higher than 30Hz: http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardFAQ#Display_resolutions_.231

I have 2007wfp and 2209wa side by side.

The 2007wfp is significantly better. It has higher apparent contrast where the 2209 seems to have a hazy overcast of light in high contrast scenes. The blacks are deeper (for an lcd) on the 2007wfp.

Seen alone the 2209wa looks good. But side by side the 2007 rivals it easily. I would still take it over any TN panel.

Just got an email back from Destinee Allen

"No sorry that price is no longer good."

Anyone have luck recently with the $212-215 pricing?

Maybe she didn't like the fact that I tossed in my Tax ID # and said I'm not paying tax either.. ?

What is the quality of refurbished 2209WA LCDs been like ?
I guess this isn't helpful being so late, but I recently received a warranty replacement on a 2209WA that was refurbished. It was indistinguishable from a new one outside of the "refurbished" sticker.

wow
so they wouldnt give me for 212
but now its 199

heh

are people still buying these up, or is the 2211 preferred now?

I got a chance to compare refurbished Dell 2209WA and NEC 2090UXi and the difference was striking. 2090 having A-TW filter is much better, no silver shimmering, 2209WA had a lot on the other side. I think it would serve 2209WA to has a less grainy coating. The only plus for 2209WA are larger pixels, in the end I of course kept the NEC.

but isnt the 2209 a $200 monitor vs the NEC which is $800-1200? What's to compare?

Both refurbished costed nearly the same. And as the discussion went towards discussing refub 2209WAs, I gave my input.
But well, it is unfair to compare any monitor to an IPS with A-TW filter :)

got a 2x2209WA to compliment my (crappy) TN V7(nobrand) 22"

difference between TN and IPS is night and day... now wishing to get rid of my 22" TN...

leaving 2 monitors in landscape, 1 in portrait( unless gaming, then everything landscape)

I just got another Dell 2209wa and I decided to check the service menu for the backlight hours to make sure it was at 0. It was at 1 hour which scares me because it seems like I got a monitor that someone else returned. Is it possible that it was turned on in the factory for some sort of testing?

I didn't check the initial backlight hours on my other 2209wa but this really scares me. Anyone else just get one and interested in checking?

Trying to pick up a 2209WA - any coupons/discounts available? It's at $319 right now ...

I just bought new 2209WA rev02 build date Oct 2010.all USB hub is not working there is no power to usb hubs.usb stick not lighted up when plug in. But monitor still working fine.What will dell usually do in regards to warranty issues like this? any help would be appreciated.

I just bought new 2209WA rev02 build date Oct 2010.all USB hub is not working there is no power to usb hubs.usb stick not lighted up when plug in. But monitor still working fine.What will dell usually do in regards to warranty issues like this? any help would be appreciated.

Call them up. They will send you a replacement and you put the bad one in the box and send it back. They pay to ship both ways. If you are within the 21 day return period you should get a new replacement. Otherwise it is refurbished.

This is on sale here in Canada for $199! Is there a better monitor at this price point than this?

I was also looking at Samsung F2380MX for $269, and another Dell, U2311H $279, but was $249 few weeks ago, so I am guessing it is going to be that much again.

I mostly do Office work, internet surfing, looking at pictures and maybe a game or two once in a blue moon. Will not watch movies on this... I do want a really good color representation and I hated when in Diablo 2 I couldn't see anything in dark, so a good performance in dark scenes would be nice.

Given the info above, any idea which one out of the 3 above should I go for?

I am not that concerned about 1920 vs 1650, since I am on 1280x1024 right now, so it is going to be an improvement anyhow. Also, don't need eyefinity, nor HDMI. Just looking for the best picture for everyday use.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Just found out about HP ZR22W ~$212. This seems to be another popular option... So many choices :(

Last edited:
I just ordered 2209WA. At the end I narrowed it down to U2211H and 2209WA, since I wanted to stay under $200. Both are $199 currently + free shipping.

I like Dell's 3 year support with advanced warranty, and it seems that cheap IPS is currently better than cheap PVA.

Some of the things that helped me decide to go for 2209WA:

Pros: 6 CCFLs vs 2 CCFLs on u2211h, 76Hz refresh vs 60Hz, 300 CD/m² vs 250 CD/m², diagonal dimenstions 573mm vs 546mm(more than 1"!!!), 6ms gtg vs 8ms gtg, less reports of problems with uniformity, backlight, viewing angle problems.

Cons: 1680x1050 res vs 1920x1080 on u2211h, no display port, 55W vs 22W power consumption, larger pixel pitch.

Here are the full specs for both:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2209WA/en/ug/about.htm#Specifications

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/MONITORS/U2211H/en/ug/about.htm#Specifications

Last edited:
I went with the 2209A as well for similar reasons. But the larger pixel pitch is a pro, not a con. :D

It's a stunning monitor for $199.

Yes, larger pixel pitch might be better for text! :)

They already shipped it! I am impressed.. took them less than 12 hours to ship it. Can't wait to set it up, was looking at some similar panels at a local computer store, and was really impressed with the detail and colors. The IPS monitor was standing beside a TN and LED TN panels in eyefinity mode.

Was much better than both, but LED TN was much better than the regular TN, which was kinda surprising.

Was at first a bit concerned about the size, not being 23 or 24", but due to 16:10 aspect ratio, it is actually only 1cm smaller diagonally compared to 23" 16:9 monitors.

Got 3 of these for $350, love them to death other than the fact that they don't play nice with my pioneer receiver.

looking to get another 3 when I get the chance/money, they're really great panels.

I got second new 2209WA monitor and get Rev 01 build date Set 2010 is this right?the monitor kinda use to me.when dell stop making rev01.

I just chat with dell site and 2209WA as been discontinue and I couldn't find this monitor to dell site.

Got it today. Great out of box. No dead pixels, no uniformity issues. Mexico, Rev A01, Sept 2010. I am not sure why they even have TN panels, when this can be bought under 200....

Oh wow, it is indeed gone from both Dell.com and Dell.ca. Am I glad I didn't wait for "better" deal.

This is on sale here in Canada for $199! Is there a better monitor at this price point than this?
EDIT: Just found out about HP ZR22W ~$212. This seems to be another popular option... So many choices :(

Where? Can you post the url?

Edit: Doh, can't believe I missed this deal :(
Oh well, I already have the 2007WFP which has the same resolution, but damn :(

Last edited:
2209WA discontinue from dell. what is other monitor compete with 2209WA.I'm looking for only 16:10 aspect ratio with IPS.any suggestion

Back