Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

When hardware calibrating these things, I know everyone likes to stick around 30 Brightness and 75 Contrast, but what does everyone use for "Preset Modes"? Should I be using Warm, Standard, or Custom (RGB)?

I have a HueyPro, so I can only calibrate, not actually verify results :(

I've been using this monitor for a few weeks now, and it's great, except for this blurring I'm experiencing. For example, when dragging my browser window around with this thread open, the text blurs while the window is moving. I've grown somewhat used to it, but it's definitely still blurry, and at first, it was pretty much impossible to read.

Also, it seems really difficult for me to focus on objects in the distance when moving around in first-person shooters, like Left 4 Dead for example.

Neither of these were issues on my CRT at 85hz. Are all LCDs like this, or is it just because this one has a higher rate (though still only 5ms) than others? I'm running at 75hz now after stopping by the other thread, but there is still a ton of tearing and blur in games. Input lag isn't a problem at all, perfect with this monitor, but this blurring junk is making me really sad when I play games.

Yep, that's the 5ms response time of the panel coming in to play. I guess the simplest explanation is that the new pixels are being drawn before the old ones can fade away, causing blurring in fast moving images. The lower the response time, the better it gets, with high quality TNs coming in around 2ms. This gets even more confusing because the rated response time of a panel is usually not accurate and is only best case.

That being said, the Dell is pretty good for being a 5ms monitor. I went from a 2ms TN panel (226CW) and could barely tell the difference, but then there are even better TN panels than the one I had.

It's one of the inherent drawbacks to LCDs, but you honestly do get used to it.

Okay I'm about to take the plunge

Who was it that we were calling and giving our business to for a $212 price or whatever? Some guy at dell?

Guys, if this has been addressed in this long thread before then I apologize. Other then the increased display resolution and more then double the price, is the viewing experience remarkably different on the U2410 compared to the 2209WA? Also should someone happen to own my current monitor would I noticed a big drop in contrast compared to my MVA Viewsonic VP930b? That's the biggest plus of the monitor but I would like better viewing angles and less color shifting.

Hi Folks,
After hours and hours reading reviews and feedback, I intend to buy this 2209wa. Would like to do well with the price. I am assuming that the $$ being referred to on the various deals from Dell sales people have been USD. Being in Australia, our Dell phonecalls go to sales people in Malaysia.

Am I correct in assuming that this is a different call centre to to the one USA call? If so there is no point in my asking for the sales reps that have been mentioned hear for their good deals.

Anyone got a good salesperson in the Malaysian call centre?

Well, I finally decided to bite, so I sent off an email to Christa last night to ask about the $212 price. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Edit: They are still honoring the $212 price. I'll be ordering one once I have some free time to call later.

Last edited:
I got one today. I tought that 22" size will be to small but it's ok. Can you tell me the best display settings for this monitor? Now I have Brightness 7 and Contrast 73....Brightness was at first a way to much high.

I got one today. I tought that 22" size will be to small but it's ok. Can you tell me the best display settings for this monitor? Now I have Brightness 7 and Contrast 73....Brightness was at first a way to much high.
Do you have windows 7? It has an easy brightness/contrast calibration tool in the control panel.

I tried it..my previus settings was almost perfect then if I compare my ex settings to optimum in this tool...Buy anyway I'm not at the moment completely satisfied...some icons are too dark I think...Videos are good.

Last edited:
Guys, I have a concern. This is my 4th return to Dell because my monitor, when in power saving mode and sometimes during use. I can hear popping sounds coming from within my monitor. It is quite loud when in power saving mode and even off and use.

I've replaced this monitor like 4 times already and the current 2209WA is doing the same thing, albeit to a lesser degree than the others. I know its cold where I am now, but is this something that should be expected? I really like this monitor but I can't live with it popping.

If 4 different monitors are doing it's gotta be something on your end, is it plugged straight into the wall outlet? A surge protecting power strip or UPS is what you should be plugging it into, and if you are already maybe try a different power strip/ups.

I wish, I have narrowed it down to the wiring in the house then. Multiple power strips and tested on roommates computers. Also I have it in a dual monitor set up alongside a Benq G2400WD and that benq makes no popping sounds at all...

shrug, i'm lost

Guys, I have a concern. This is my 4th return to Dell because my monitor, when in power saving mode and sometimes during use. I can hear popping sounds coming from within my monitor. It is quite loud when in power saving mode and even off and use.

I've replaced this monitor like 4 times already and the current 2209WA is doing the same thing, albeit to a lesser degree than the others. I know its cold where I am now, but is this something that should be expected? I really like this monitor but I can't live with it popping.

Mine was doing the same thing, I believe I posted about it a while back in this same thread. Someone else responded saying theirs is doing the same thing. It's not really an electric like pop noise, it almost sounds like something is physically moving or expanding and hitting the inside of the bezel or something. I'm not saying that's what it is for sure, that's the only way I can describe it. It's like a clunk noise.

Also I've noticed it hasn't been doing it at all anymore. Maybe it's due to colder weather? Not sure, but I haven't heard it in awhile now.

Mine was doing the same thing, I believe I posted about it a while back in this same thread. Someone else responded saying theirs is doing the same thing. It's not really an electric like pop noise, it almost sounds like something is physically moving or expanding and hitting the inside of the bezel or something. I'm not saying that's what it is for sure, that's the only way I can describe it. It's like a clunk noise.

Also I've noticed it hasn't been doing it at all anymore. Maybe it's due to colder weather? Not sure, but I haven't heard it in awhile now.

That describes the exact problem that I have. So annoying. I can't fall asleep until it stops.

What's the best way to get colours more brighten except white colour? I have really good text and good lever of white colour, but all the rest colours look's little too much dark. Maybe i'm just not accustomed to my ex PVA monitor.

My monitor settings:
Brightness:0
Contrast:74
Sharpness:40

I'd record mine however like I said it has completely stopped doing it, I don't know what caused it to stop.

Really the best way I can describe it is it almost sounds like like something solid suddenly expands (or even possibly contracts?) and smacks the plastic bezel. It's really quite weird.

I don't know enough about the physical build of monitors to really understand what the heck is going on. I'm pretty certain when mine was doing it the noise was coming from the top back right side. When viewing from the front that is, if looking at the back it would be the top left side.

Hi, I have this LCD since christmas. Before, I had 17" CRT screen. i just want to ask, is it normall. that this screen appears to be constantly dirty? I mean, it looks like I would paint my CRT with thin layer of oil. I know, that in the first post in this thread is something about this effect, but my girlfriend has Samsung with also matte LCD display, and it looks much better, I can´t really see this effect. So, is there really this effect on 2209wa so strong, or could it be some kind of error or manufacturing problem? I am confuse becou I can´t see it even on my matte laptop display...

Ok so let me get this straight all you do is email these people and they will let you purchase the ultrasharp for $212? I was wondering how long did it take to get this monitor to your door from dell.

I just contacted Christa and she is honoring the $212 price for me + tax. I'm buying one right now, and probably 2 more for Eyefinity later.

Yeah I contacted christi also and she is gonna do it for me. She asked for my phone number but hasnt got with me yet. I will prolly order this when she calls.

OK I have a chance to buy the ultra sharp 2007fp of ebay for $145. I was thinking of getting 2 and setting them side by side. What would you guys do get the 2209wa or get the two 2007fp????? which ones are better? Im so confused now. The 2007fp do come with a warranty 90 day.

Last edited:
According to tftcentral, the 2007fp is either s-IPS or S-PVA. I would purchse the 2209wa from Dell simply for the return policy. If you purchase the LCDs off ebay, you only have a 90 day return. Does the seller guarantee no stuck/dead pixels? Minimum 7 stuck pixels for return? That'd be horrible. With Dell you can send it back no matter what and they pay shipping. The Ebay ones may be S-PVA panels as well.

Well, my 2209wa came in. Pretty nice monitor, the extra real estate from from a 19" is awesome, and the 19" is now rotated vertically and serving as a second monitor.

Two things:
1. This monitor was bright. Seemed fine at first, but then as it got "warmed up" (either from use or literally, it was outside in 20 degree F weather for 8 hours despite me telling people at home to bring it in) it got significantly brighter. I have contrast down at 65 and brightness at 20 (lowering it past this point doesn't seem to make the monitor dimmer). I also used Windows itself to calibrate the brightness and contrast, which helped.
2. There was a slight blue tint I noticed when viewing the white Google homepage. Did custom color setup, lowered blue down 3 or 4 clicks to 98, and it's much better. Overall, the picture is much nicer than on my vp191b.

Yup, I use the Spyder 2 Express. 120 is pretty crucial for my postprocessing of photos for print matching purposes.

Although already stated, Dell is honoring the $208 (around there) price. Even talked them into free shipping.

Although already stated, Dell is honoring the $208 (around there) price. Even talked them into free shipping.

IT would help if you let is know what rep you talked to. I talked to 3 reps while I was waiting for christi ad they wouldnt budge from $285.

Anyone else notice that the monitor effectively takes some time to "warm up"?

I usually turn it off before bed at night, and it doesn't go on until I'm home from work the next day, so it's off about 18+ hours. I'll turn it on, and it's dimmer than normal. Over about 5-10 minutes the brightness ramps back up. I also lowered the blue on my colors down to about 92 (Red & green still at 100). Without a calibration tool, I'm not sure if it's the monitor of just me being used to my old VP191b where the color reproduction was not quite as nice.

there's definitely a warm up period. that's why when you calibrate, you're supposed to let it run for at least an hour (that's a rule for EVERY monitor).

I'd record mine however like I said it has completely stopped doing it, I don't know what caused it to stop.

Really the best way I can describe it is it almost sounds like like something solid suddenly expands (or even possibly contracts?) and smacks the plastic bezel. It's really quite weird.

I don't know enough about the physical build of monitors to really understand what the heck is going on. I'm pretty certain when mine was doing it the noise was coming from the top back right side. When viewing from the front that is, if looking at the back it would be the top left side.
I have a 2007WFP that makes an occasional "crackle' noise when its on. It has done it for years but I have never had a problem with the screen. Never any noise when it is sleeping or turned off. It is plugged into the same UPS as my XPS and it has not suffered any electrical issues. I always attributed it to thermal expansion and contraction of some kind. It always seems to come from the lower right near the power button.

Just ordered from Christa, $212 and free shipping. Quick and painless. She is great! I have lurked here and researched a lot and this is a great deal.Thank you to the people who were kind enough to share it.

Back