Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Is anyone able to enjoy 0 brightness setting and 75-76hz refresh without having the monitor make any noise?

Yep. Between 0 and 10 is what I generally run it at, and no noise at 75hz that I can hear, and my computer is quite silent.

Managed to get my 2209WA at 75Hz. Anyone have good ideas how to test this silky-smooth refresh rate? :)

If the monitor says 1680x1050@75hz when you hit the menu button, you are in good shape. If you move the mouse smoothly and you don't see a rhythmic pause in the motion, then it is working.

If the monitor says 1680x1050@75hz when you hit the menu button, you are in good shape. If you move the mouse smoothly and you don't see a rhythmic pause in the motion, then it is working.
Where in the OSD can I find specifically the Hz range?

Is there any need to get one from Monoprice?
Or does the one provided do a pretty decent job?
A $1 cable works just as well as a $1.000.000 cable.

If it doesn't work, it's broken.

A DVI cable either works, or it doesn't.

Where in the OSD can I find specifically the Hz range?

The actual hz will be shown as soon as you hit the menu button at the bottom of the main OSD screen. It should tell you the current resolution and the optimal. The optimal will be listed as 1680x1050 60hz.

The OSD doesn't show you the specific range the monitor can handle though.

Sweet got 75hz on mine. However quake live doesn't want to load. I'm bringing this display into my desk at work. Any idea if you can do 75HZ on mac?

I figure as this is a pretty popular LCD I would mention that my triple portrait setup using eyefinity through a sapphire 5870 and 3 2209wa's with the dell adaptor does indeed work. I figured I would mention this since they have had some decent deals on this screen recently so I am sure a few might be thinking widescreen gaming with them.

I recommend not looking for problems if you already bought it :p

Not that I know of any major problems for this monitor anyway, but if you can't see anything wrong with it, you'll enjoy it that much more right? :)

"Ignorance is bliss." :D

Aggg, Good point.

So I picked up an X-Rite Eye-One LT colorimeter to calibrate the screens when they come in (and my LP2475W)... Any input if this was a wise choice? I know, I know, I already bought it why ask now ?

i have a SPYDER 3 PRO
AND right now depending on your room lighting either 2.2 5800k or 2.2 6500k

right now iam using 2.2 6500k with factory default settings
and it looks great the colors look corrected and accurate
it does not feel overly bright like before it was calibrated.

I figure as this is a pretty popular LCD I would mention that my triple portrait setup using eyefinity through a sapphire 5870 and 3 2209wa's with the dell adaptor does indeed work. I figured I would mention this since they have had some decent deals on this screen recently so I am sure a few might be thinking widescreen gaming with them.

Thanks for sharing, that's my plan in the next 3-6 months.

I like to up the brightness of my 2209s by about 30 in the wintertime, they double as space heaters.

no my 2209wa barely generates any heat
it only uses about 40w at its default brightness
its a very low power efficent monitor partly do to its new e-ips panel

I'm curious... I'm now running my 2209WA at 76hz through Powerstrip and I was wondering...are there any detrimental effects to running the monitor higher than it's default value of 60hz, specifically in terms of possible long term damage or a shorter life span?

Nobody had theirs die yet, so it's hard to tell ;)

Mine starts buzzing as soon as I go over 60 and 75 is just a dream since the screen gets full of squiggly lines, so I don't think it's perfectly harmless.

I'm curious... I'm now running my 2209WA at 76hz through Powerstrip and I was wondering...are there any detrimental effects to running the monitor higher than it's default value of 60hz, specifically in terms of possible long term damage or a shorter life span?

Doubt it. If it supports it, there are likely no ill effects. I've never heard of any LCD monitor dying due to being run at a higher refresh rate. If it works, enjoy it.

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Looks like I'll leave it at 76hz and enjoy :D.. the consequences, if any, can be dealt with as they come!

YES OBVIOUSLY !

Hi All,

I'm new to posting on this forum but I've been following this thread over the last month or so. Thank you for all the great information. It sealed my decision to buy this monitor.

I've been checking the prices almost daily and came upon this link:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=ca&category_id=6198&l=en&s=corp

Although it's for the Canadian site, the curious thing is the "New" designation. I wouldn't think they just started selling this monitor on the Canadian site. As I read more details, I also noticed this model has 4 usb ports. On the 2209wa I received last week, I only have two ports. The price listed for the Canadian one is $369. So mainly I was just wondering if anyone else finds the "new" designation curious.

Last edited:
Are you sure you don't have four ports? Two on the left side, two on the back, next to the uplink?

Matija,

You're right. I do have 4. I didn't notice because my monitor's left side is near a wall.

Thanks.

thinkpad99

FYI, I also called DELL and spoke to one of their reps regarding the "New" designation on the 2209wa model listing on the Canadian site. The gist of the conversation was Tony (Dell rep) could not find any differences in specs between the American and Canadian specs for the 2209wa. He said its possible they just started selling the 2209WA on the Canadian site or the page has just not been updated. So for now, this appears to be just an old page.

Nobody had theirs die yet, so it's hard to tell ;)

Mine starts buzzing as soon as I go over 60 and 75 is just a dream since the screen gets full of squiggly lines, so I don't think it's perfectly harmless.

Mine did aswell. but i f you take it easy you will be able to get it to 76. i have it on 75. restart powerstrip once in a while and restart the monitor. seems like the monitor have to accept the changes in a way and then you can proceed. mine did also flicker at first and i got some lines. im just curious, what are the things you lower, to be able to come up in 75, the front porch and all that? does it make you screen less good in any way?

Can somebody tell me what the benifit is to running a refresh rate over what is naitive.

Can somebody tell me what the benifit is to running a refresh rate over what is naitive.

Your FPS is limited to your monitor's refresh rate no matter what. Some people can tell the difference between 60Hz and 75Hz due to the higher allowable FPS as determined by your monitor's refresh rate. The end result is a smoother game experience. If you've ever witnessed a 120Hz HD TV (though they're not really 120Hz, but I digress), the effect is similar, though not as dramatic as 120Hz HD TVs, which I find to be a little "too" smooth.

Ok, so I just bought this monitor, and I believe I need some help.

First, I would like to know how on earth you install the drivers? The CD dosen't seem to have any and I visited Dell website, downloaded what it seem to be the drivers, unzipped them, but then I couldn't find any install exec.

Second, I would like to know how can I clone the image between 2 monitors (my old 19"). Also I would like to use my old monitor as Desktop only, and this monitor on games, movies, etc. Basically without needing to alt-tab.

Now, as regarding to the monitor itself, the greys are a bit dissapoint. It has a greenish tint in the middle bottom area when you are looking at a grey background. Also it looks like the top grey is brighter than the bottom grey which is darker.
Is there anyway to fix this or do I need to return it?

Is there any calibration methods or settings?

Well I got this monitor today and its beautiful. love the stand... But boy is this baby bright!

Colors look great and everything is sharp, no dead pixels, backlighting is great, But I do have a couple issues and need some help

1. I tried playing Left 4 Dead and the colors look great but I get am getting flickring. I could see it flckring on the loading screen and during the game. How do I fix this?

2. Where do I install the color profile that was on the disc? I have vista 64bit

3. Where can I install the driver, I try on the disc and i get nothing, I downloading the 100k file and when I install Dell DriverDownloadManager it says no driver to download

4 Need help with the Spyder3 pro, I cant seem to get the settings too look good, when I run the calibration, the image seems to have a red tint. I dont think the result looks good. How do I know when I am getting pretty accurate colors when playing around the settings. the graphics card I have too is the ATI radeon 4870x2

Need some help.

Last edited:
Question about DVI cables and the 2209WA:

I believe the DVI-D cable that came with the 2209WA is single-link. Per my research, a dual-link cable may (should?) also work. My understanding is one of the differences between single link and dual link DVI cables is the dual link DVI-D cable has extra pins that allow for greater bandwith passthrough which might be needed on much higher resolution monitors (eg higher than WUXGA, ie, higher than 1920 x 1080).

Has anybody used a dual link DVI-D cable or any other type of DVI cable with their 2209WA?

My thought is to purchase an DVI-D dual link for use with another computer and the 2209wa. I know I don't need a dual link cable for the 2209wa because the single link cable has all the bandwidth I need for this monitor and my computer. But my thinking was if the dual link is compatible and has no negative performance effects when using with the 2209wa, then later on, if I get a device that requires a dual link, I would have that cable.

From the research I did, it seems that there may be some dual link DVI cables that should be compatbile with the 2209wa and my docking station but there may be some that are not. Thanks.

Yes, I'm using a dual-link DVI cable because it's my generic "works with everything" cable.

There's no advantage in using a dual-link cable because 1680x1050 monitors don't support dual-link signals anyway, but there are no issues in using one.

I'm using the stock DVI cord that comes shipped with the monitor and running at 1680x1050 75Hz with no problems.

Yes, I'm using a dual-link DVI cable because it's my generic "works with everything" cable.

There's no advantage in using a dual-link cable because 1680x1050 monitors don't support dual-link signals anyway, but there are no issues in using one.

Hey ToastyX, can you tell me where you purchased your dual link you from? Hopefully somewhere like monoprice dot com where the prices are low. I think I'll purchase a dual link for my 2nd computer's docking station. Thanks.

Back