Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Got mine today, the quality is impressive to say the least. A01. Easily the best LCD I've ever seen in terms of fit and finish, quality, build, OSD controls, etc..

However, I returned home just now to a yellow line running vertically down the screen about 1/3 of the way from the left side. Ech. Very light pressure on the screen caused it to vanish instantly, but now I'm worried and wonder if it's going to return...Well, multi-year warranty for the win.

I'm using 25 brightness, but this is the first monitor I've seen that you can actually turn the brightness to 0 without the picture becoming mud. I'm one of the full-blown-brightness guys but the default 75 does not suit this display. Since this thread is godzilla huge now, I've tried searching...Does anyone know an optimal brightness/contrast setting for the 2209WA?

I have it set on 0 for the sake of the temperature in my room still :D. When winter comes around I'll go back up to about 40 which I personally find optimal.

Got mine today, the quality is impressive to say the least. A01. Easily the best LCD I've ever seen in terms of fit and finish, quality, build, OSD controls, etc..

However, I returned home just now to a yellow line running vertically down the screen about 1/3 of the way from the left side. Ech. Very light pressure on the screen caused it to vanish instantly, but now I'm worried and wonder if it's going to return...Well, multi-year warranty for the win.

I'm using 25 brightness, but this is the first monitor I've seen that you can actually turn the brightness to 0 without the picture becoming mud. I'm one of the full-blown-brightness guys but the default 75 does not suit this display. Since this thread is godzilla huge now, I've tried searching...Does anyone know an optimal brightness/contrast setting for the 2209WA?

IIRC out of the box set brightness to 0 and contrast to 75 and you get a pretty accurate picture.

I received my Australian unit yesterday and so I suppose I should annotate it.

The physical build is quite satisfying, especially along with the enjoyable stand; It is as silent as the tomb on any brightness level; Complaints of the device 'cooking' are unfounded as on zero brightness the top is slightly warm to the hand and cheek when checked for noise, and the power LED is reasonably lit for the typical 'ultrabright' blue.

The Backlight is fairly bright at 0%, probably at the same brightness as found in the Prad review. I don't take much offense to it and it should improve after time; Black level is impressive coming from an older unit, and a sensation of contrast is imparted; Responsiveness is eminently good and adds awe to Hideaki Anno's 1/24 second fastcuts in Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Off-angle glow is not intrusive at a reasonable viewing distance; I found the factory settings to be very favourable as they are able to distinguish dark 1,1,1 from 0,0,0 and white 252 from 255; There are no dead pixels, indeed, any present would be a minor problem compared to other potential flaws.

Brightness uniformity is poor and is visible on any webpage or fullscreen swatch of colour. The top section of the unit is obviously much brighter than the bottom to the point of causing me some ire. There is no colour cast or bias toward either the left or right side of the screen. I believe the result is similar to the measurements shown in this review and this picture from an early post in this thread.

Initially I had intended to return it and purchase an LCD2490WUXi, until I saw the units on Prad and TFTCentral having equal uniformity problems even with Colorcomp on. Not to mention, in the time I've taken to order and recieve the 2209WA, the 2490 price has mysteriously increased by $200.

I'll mull it over. Here's to the absurd idea of the backlights "burning in" after a few days of usage.

Sorry if someones already asked, but whats the best way to hook up a PS3 to this monitor?
Can I use a HDMI to DVI cable? if so how do I hook up sound? [working with a EVGA X58 motherboard]

Thanks.

I received my Australian unit yesterday and so I suppose I should annotate it.

The physical build is quite satisfying, especially along with the enjoyable stand; It is as silent as the tomb on any brightness level; Complaints of the device 'cooking' are unfounded as on zero brightness the top is slightly warm to the hand and cheek when checked for noise, and the power LED is reasonably lit for the typical 'ultrabright' blue.

The Backlight is fairly bright at 0%, probably at the same brightness as found in the Prad review. I don't take much offense to it and it should improve after time; Black level is impressive coming from an older unit, and a sensation of contrast is imparted; Responsiveness is eminently good and adds awe to Hideaki Anno's 1/24 second fastcuts in Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Off-angle glow is not intrusive at a reasonable viewing distance; I found the factory settings to be very favourable as they are able to distinguish dark 1,1,1 from 0,0,0 and white 252 from 255; There are no dead pixels, indeed, any present would be a minor problem compared to other potential flaws.

Brightness uniformity is poor and is visible on any webpage or fullscreen swatch of colour. The top section of the unit is obviously much brighter than the bottom to the point of causing me some ire. There is no colour cast or bias toward either the left or right side of the screen. I believe the result is similar to the measurements shown in this review and this picture from an early post in this thread.

Initially I had intended to return it and purchase an LCD2490WUXi, until I saw the units on Prad and TFTCentral having equal uniformity problems even with Colorcomp on. Not to mention, in the time I've taken to order and recieve the 2209WA, the 2490 price has mysteriously increased by $200.

I'll mull it over. Here's to the absurd idea of the backlights "burning in" after a few days of usage.

you can get rid of the glow if you calibrate it

Hmm.. that gave me an idea. They should make some controls in the monitor that adjust the CCFL tubes individually, that way with a calibration system you could tweak those to a good uniformity (not great of course; they are tubes, but better)

Returning home today, the cursed yellow line appeared again as soon as I turned the monitor on. This time it faded away by itself in about 30 seconds.

Is this a commonly recognized lcd flaw? I keep hoping it'll "break in", I don't want to have to send the monitor back over something minor and irritating, but I'm afraid that line will become permanent in time.

Just got mine in today. It's a Rev A01 Mexico. No dead pixels that I can see so far. Will update after I have some more time to play with it. Looks good so far!

Returning home today, the cursed yellow line appeared again as soon as I turned the monitor on. This time it faded away by itself in about 30 seconds.

Is this a commonly recognized lcd flaw? I keep hoping it'll "break in", I don't want to have to send the monitor back over something minor and irritating, but I'm afraid that line will become permanent in time.

That isn't normal.

I had an issue with one screen where the top third of it would suddenly have 50% of the pixels go black...resulted in almost a privacy filter effect on the screen content. It came and went, came and went, and eventually (of course after the 30 day return period) came and stayed.

RMA it.

What's that saying about when you're in a dilemma, but it's not necessarily a bad one?...

I don't want to RMA it because I love it so much :D

But I will. Sigh. This monitor seriously rocks. For $200, I put it up there with the some of the best price/performance of any product I have purchased in several years. It's up there with my dirt devil 18v cordless pivot vac and Mizuno stability running shoes. :D

Gone mine today. Rev A01 China Aug 2009

I can't form an opinion yet since i'm stuck with vga until monoprice decides to send me my dvi->displayport dongle. No dead pixels though! Also, could not get 75hz to go, monitor says it doesn't support the timing.

Well Fedex was supposed to deliver mine today but I wasn't home to sign for it. Do you think when they take it back to the fedex station they will just throw it......I'm real paranoid about any damages / dead pixels

Got mine today Rev A01 unpacked in 10 minutes and had it sitting next to my other Dell E196fpb in no time. Why in the heck was the vga cable attached to the monitor right out the box. Once hooked up noticed deeper blacks and no blacklight bleeding and no dead pixels.

The picture is great but does anyone know of any calibration tools I could use to get it to properly adjust?

Ordered one last Friday and it came in today. It's absolutely immaculate. Why didn't I order one of these ages ago? Plus, I suddenly don't suck at every FPS anymore. I might actually be able to cancel my WoW account...

OK, maybe not, but it's still a great display.

I can't believe Dell was selling these things for $209 not even a week ago, I should have grabbed it when i had the chance :(

How come e-IPS monitors are so rare? From what I've read, they aren't much more expensive than TN's to produce.

So with the sudden influx of people posting about ordering and receiving their displays within a reasonable time, is it safe to say that the 2209WA is actually not discontinued, and Dell actually got new shipments of them in?

I ordered mine Friday too and it showed up today, of course Fedex just left the tag there though. I signed it so it should be waiting when I wake up in a couple hours

Anyone know if it's possible to call Dell and have the sales rep take 10% off so I can get the $208 price??
20% off coupon expires today and I am kicking myself for not find out about the deal before the 10% code expired...

So with the sudden influx of people posting about ordering and receiving their displays within a reasonable time, is it safe to say that the 2209WA is actually not discontinued, and Dell actually got new shipments of them in?

Probably, with it being posted on SD and here so cheap I'm sure at least 500 people bought one in this last week.

Best/fastest method for achieving warranty support from Dell?

God, it pisses me off that such a huge corporation operates on central time.

This is a huge adjustment from a 17" non-widescreen LCD, but I like it. I had to turn the brightness all the way down though, damn.

I got lucky, called 3 times today and 3rd CSR was able to give me the additional 10% off over the phone..had to wait for about 10 min while he get authorization from his supervisor..

BTW, how much is the envirnmental fee?? Is it $8 or $16?? I was charged $16 but remember checkout basket at Dell website shows $8 only..

I got lucky, called 3 times today and 3rd CSR was able to give me the additional 10% off over the phone..had to wait for about 10 min while he get authorization from his supervisor..

BTW, how much is the envirnmental fee?? Is it $8 or $16?? I was charged $16 but remember checkout basket at Dell website shows $8 only..

Could you PM/post their contact details? I need to order two of these for my work (again).

UPDATE: I've been calling in, getting really annoyed as I keep getting the same CSR over and over again. He is not budging below $265, even though I can get it cheaper online.

Last edited:
This monitor is so awesome. The more I look at it the less I want to look at my other Dell. I just pulled up Hard on my other monitor and it looks blurry basically compared to this 2209wa.

I still need a good colorimeter??

So I just measurred the LCD.

From all the way left to all the way right its 20" inches

The screen is only almost 19"......wtf

Hmm...looks like Dell actually has plenty of 2209WA in stock...
Even though website & phone CSR both said 3-5 week wait time, my order placed this afternoon has already been shipped!?

So what settings are you guys running? Im rocking 0 brightness and 75 contrast atm and it looks good.

I like 0 brightness but it's still too bright. I took contrast down to 69 initially.

My unit buzzes very slightly though from 0-16 and 24-100, so I now have brightness at 17 to save my sanity and lowered contrast more to 63 to compensate.

The best thing about this monitor is both parameters seem totally unrelated and don't make the monitor muddy regardless of what you do. I couldn't say that about all my CRT's.

got mine today, after fedex delayed shipment one day, ugh...

its an amazing monitor, by the best ive seen, but then again, ive only used TN panels.

i took that little tab thing from the side out and it says my monitor is a 2209WAf, A01, made in china.

Last edited:
Back