Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Cyper suggested to me (pg 92) to download LUT Manager (free) and look up 10e's profile. The latter can be found via a search for 10e's posts on this thread (I'd attach it, but don't see a way). LUT Mgr is a simple utility that allows setting the profile to kick in at start up.

If you google "Dell 2209WA reviews," there are some calibration discussions. I think the PRAD review goes into the most detail: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-dell-2209wa.html. I think that's the one which suggested Brightness=0 and Contrast = 54. There have also been some suggestions in reviews and in this thread about Red/Green/Blue settings. In part, it depends on whether you monitor was assembled in China or Mexico (latter needs more adjustment). The biggest absolute problem with the monitor for me and some others is that Dell set the minimum brightness (0) at standard office brightness. Most companies will set up the brightness adjustment range to allow for darker rooms. In any case, the problem with 0/54 is that the 54 gives up a bit of crispness for less brightness and color balance.

I know the LUT Mgr. But I think, that using someone else profile is a little bit useless, because every monitor is a little bit different. But I tried to lower the contrast to 50 and set up brightness to 40 as 10e said and I am getting better results by performing visuall gamma test on some websites fo monitor cal. Trully said, the colors are now closer to my CRT, which was my main monitor for making photos. I have read the prad.de review and they are saying, that contrast should be hold on 75, not on 50, but I think 10e is right with setting it to 50....

Edit: My revision is A01 and is Made in China...

Last edited:
I know the LUT Mgr. But I think, that using someone else profile is a little bit useless, because every monitor is a little bit different. But I tried to lower the contrast to 50 and set up brightness to 40 as 10e said and I am getting better results by performing visuall gamma test on some websites fo monitor cal. Trully said, the colors are now closer to my CRT, which was my main monitor for making photos. I have read the prad.de review and they are saying, that contrast should be hold on 75, not on 50, but I think 10e is right with setting it to 50....

75 is way too high. I have mine a 60 and at times that is too high. I have eye calibrated over 100 monitors and I can tell that 73 or 75 or whatever someone is recommending is too high.

What's a good compromise on the brightness level if like the contrast around 64? I know, I know, every monitor is different, but I've found that 50 puts it too washed out, and 75 is certainly too bright. I'd rather have it pleasant to look at than totally accurate. But nevertheless, recommendations for accuracy are welcome.

thanks for the replies about the 4:3 OSD setting!

One other question, the 6ms thing kind of puts me off, but being honest can people see any ghosting on this monitor and how does it compare to 2ms rated monitors people have used?

cheers!

thanks for the replies about the 4:3 OSD setting!

One other question, the 6ms thing kind of puts me off, but being honest can people see any ghosting on this monitor and how does it compare to 2ms rated monitors people have used?

cheers!

I notice no ghosting on this monitor at all. From my understanding what really matters for ghosting is input lag, which this monitor has almost none of. There is a thread about it somwhere in the displays forum.

My replacement monitor came today. Originally both of my panels were assembled in China, the replacement was assembled in Mexico. There is a definite difference in color and brightness between the two panels. I had to turn the brightness down on the Mexico panel, and turn the red way down to match the "standard" profile of the China panel.

I don't have any calibration tools so I just eye it by splitting an image across both screens.

You're in the same boat as me then. I used Spyder2 to calibrate and have both contrasts at 82, and the brightness is 52 on the Mexico and 72 on the China. The RGB corrections were similar but not identical... not sure off the top of my head and not at that PC now. Still could not get them identical but they are very close.

Brightness level should not really affect calibration or gamma curve as this controls the backlight level and doesn't change panel settings. Set brightness to comfort level. Adjust as your ambient light conditions change.

Contrast control alters the gamma curve and calibration. If you have no calibration device you may want to lower it to 50 to get a more accurate gamma curve colors. But you will lose contrast.

But if you have a calibration device you are probably better off leaving the contrast at ~75 (as Prad recommends) and using and calibrating to fix your gama curve. This way you can have correct curve and high contrast.

and this was on the recent order? wooot!
*fingers crossed*

I ordered last week, so hopefully it comes soon

anyone else order in this last batch -week or so ago, the $200.88 batch- get their product yet?

al

I got my monitor, from the $200.88 batch , about a week ago....

very good, no issues, or dead bleeding stuff

thanks!

surf

Just got both of mine. Both were Assembled in Mexico and Manufactured in June 2009. I'm guessing that as soon as these are made they are sent directly to customers. I have brightness at 0 and it's still almost too bright. The crispness is insane!!!

I've been thinking about ordering one of these but I missed out on those big discount coupons. Is there any reason I shouldn't just go ahead and order on the Dell website other than the money? I really need a new display.

I heard some people talking about calling up Dell and getting better discounts that way, is there any truth to that?

edit - I went ahead and ordered the thing. Guess I'll keep you guys up to date on how long the delivery takes and how much I like the thing.

Last edited:
Brightness 30 and contrast 75?! :eek:

I've had my contrast at 75 for awhile now and I adjust brightness depending on light in my room. It looks good to me, but I'm not really sure how "accurate" it is. Oh well :p

I posted the wrong article, tho the prad one is good, except he neglected to discuss brightness on the low end. My ref should have been http://www.lcdreviewz.com/review_Dell_2209WA. Some others are at http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2267607.

From reports the difference between these monitors is much less than you think. The China and Mexico assemblies appear to be calibrated differently at the factory, but inherently they seem to be similar, if not exactly the same (parts). There's no harm in trying 10e's profile and see how it looks, since it can be reversed. I wish I knew how to set up a profile myself.

Room lighting is the first key for brightness. Someone on another forum posted that at Brightness=0/Contrast=54 they measured 100 cd/m2 at the center of their screen. I doubt that my computer room ever gets above 80-90 cd/m2, unless it's very bright outside and I turn on the overhead light. An example of how bright the monitor is at 0/54 can be seen at that review posted by mistar - http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1248173915. In a dark room (right now) with a small incandescent desk lamp, the white screen is so bright I can barely read the black text in the blue table. OTOH, if you have a bright room, or are young, I'm sure it's a different story.

So I got a stuck pixel after about a week... it only shows red. It still shows black when black is supposed to be displayed, though. I've never dealt with these.

Is the technique for resolving these any different on an IPS? I've tried cycling for almost an hour, and a little bit of pressure, no dice.

I ordered one last night from a computer store in Ottawa. I received it on this past monday. Beautiful screen! Calibrated it with my i1 Display 2 and it's just fantastic.

I would like to purchase Eye-One Display LT (the same as i1 Display LT) for calibrating my Dell 2209WA, is it big problem, that this "entry-level" calibration tool can not calibrate luminance? Do you think that Eye-One Display LT is good choice for me, who needs only calibrate his 2209WA to 2.2/6500K ?

I bought two of these from Dell during the last deal, and one of them has a couple of pixels in which the red is not firing. These pixel are actually adjacent of each other.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this? I really don't want to get an exchange from Dell.

You can sometimes massage dead/hot pixels back to life, I've done it but I don't think it normally works too often.

I would like to purchase Eye-One Display LT (the same as i1 Display LT) for calibrating my Dell 2209WA, is it big problem, that this "entry-level" calibration tool can not calibrate luminance? Do you think that Eye-One Display LT is good choice for me, who needs only calibrate his 2209WA to 2.2/6500K ?

I don't really know anything about that calibration device. Luminance is an important part of calibration if you do things like photography and such.

WTH is that supposed to even mean. It won't do luminance?

The i1 LT is the best sensor bang for the buck. It is very accurate even at the darker end where the competition tends to get weaker.

Now as to the sofware. It will correct gamma curve. Luminance as in brightness is really out of the control of any calibration package as the backlight controls this. Unless you are in a professional light controlled environment setting a specific targer luminance is not really important. It makes more sense to just set the backlight to a comfortable level.

Anyone use Monster iClean or ScreenClean to clean their monitor? How well does it work?

I've got a spray bottle of this stuff left over from something, I don't even remember where I got it, but it's lasted me a good four years or so and works great on anything with an anti-glare coating. I use it on my iphone and 2209wa regularly.

Looks like they got another batch in possibly. I just got an email saying mine shipped (ordered 14 days ago) I ordered it using the google cache page after they took down the regular one.

This will be my 2nd. Cheers, dell.

Back