Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Ordered one today via Dell chat. I was on hold for about 25 minutes but it was worth the wait because they lowered the price from 279.00 to 219.00 (plus tax) with free shipping. I suggest giving chat a try.

We'll see if I'm as lucky as you are, you say anything particularly noteworthy to earn that discount?

Can anyone tell me what are most common issues being reported regarding this monitor?

Thanks!

Don't count on Brenda to give you a discount.
dell.jpg

Can anyone tell me what are most common issues being reported regarding this monitor?

Thanks!

yah, its loaded with awesome!

the stand, its made by awesome incorported!

yup, you guessed it.

the monitor is...... awesome!

How would this monitor compare to a TN(S2309W) for text/word processing, internet, and if using a lower display resolution than native? I know not using native resolution affects image quality but native is too small for me. Thanks.

On Dell's website it says it takes 3-5 weeks to ship (backordered?), does it really take that long? I finally decided I'd buy one of these but the long shipping wait is making me wary.

i suppose they could be back ordered. that might be worse case scenario to. if it comes sooner then that..............then so be it.:D

It varies. Some people were quoted a few weeks for delivery and it was shipped the next day or day after.

Can anyone compare this to the HP LP2475w, when calibrated? I can't decide between the two. Obviously the Dell is like half the price but I'll pay the extra if it's noticeably better.

Decided waiting a month+ isn't worth it, nabbed a new in box one from a powerseller on ebay for 218. Ends up being $100 cheaper than getting it from dell directly. Environment fee? Hah, yeah right.

Can anyone compare this to the HP LP2475w, when calibrated? I can't decide between the two. Obviously the Dell is like half the price but I'll pay the extra if it's noticeably better.

You are going to get very accurate colors from both when calibrated BUT, the 2209WA is standard sRGB gamut whereas the HP is a wide gamut screen.

Wide gamut manifests itself with super strong colors that are over saturated in normal use such as games and office apps, and will only show up correctly in apps with color management built-in like Photoshop, or FireFox with the color management plug-in enabled.

So while a calibration package will say they are both showing extremely accurate colors after calibration, the Dell will actually be more accurate in normal, every day sRGB use.

Other characteristics should be quite similar between the two outside of size and resolution. Either way you are getting a very good monitor.

IF you are only using the screen with PC, the Dell is probably a better bargain. If you are using it with any other HD type devices such as a BluRay Player or PS3, the HP would be superiour due to better connectivity and aspect ratio options.

How would this monitor compare to a TN(S2309W) for text/word processing, internet, and if using a lower display resolution than native? I know not using native resolution affects image quality but native is too small for me. Thanks.

I recommend using native resolution and increasing the text size in the operating system or software.

Red tint on one side, loud inverter, referbs aren't always in like new condition.

Yep, this.

I bought a refurb and a new unit. Both of them have red tint on the right side of the screen, the new one was terrible. So, I kept the refurb, but when my wife returned from Europe she noticed the inverter noise. I can't hear it, but she can hear it from across the room, very ear piercing high pitched noise.

So, I don't know what to do. This screen is beautiful but its killing my wife's ears. I really don't feel like going through all the trouble of fighting with Dell to send me replacements until I get a good one. Perhaps I will just buy a good TN panel locally, much easier to deal with when problems arise. Arrgh! :mad:

my dell 2209wa from dell can in perfect i have no red tint or uniformity issues
no high pitch noise either . I bought mine brand new it has little black bleed or glow from one of the lower corners but only seen on a black sceen at night in a dark room

Why do you post if you don't have anything to say?

I was interested in finding out if it can be turned off.

Because that's the only solution to your problem, perhaps? Couldn't spare the 2 minutes it takes to look at the menu options?

can you tell me if there is an option to disable that blue power led? ty.

I've been into the service menus as well, and other than putting something over the LED, it's not something that can be disabled.

Why do you post if you don't have anything to say?

I was interested in finding out if it can be turned off.

I use two of these monitors, and I have seen nothing in the service menu that would allow me to turn the light off. Putting a small piece of electrical tape over the light is the only solution I am aware of, or one that is practical to me anyway. And I think the tape would blend in nicely with the black, matte background so the result would be fairly unobtrusive. Hence my response :(

Also FYI, the power switch LED is not very bright and I do not find it distracting in the least. I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice for their day to day work under normal lighting conditions.

I use two of these monitors, and I have seen nothing in the service menu that would allow me to turn the light off. Putting a small piece of electrical tape over the light is the only solution I am aware of, or one that is practical to me anyway. And I think the tape would blend in nicely with the black, matte background so the result would be fairly unobtrusive. Hence my response :(

Also FYI, the power switch LED is not very bright and I do not find it distracting in the least. I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice for their day to day work under normal lighting conditions.

Yah; this has been covered in other Dell threads. I would like to add the idea of using a hole puncher to get a perfectly round dot of electrical tape. I did this on my 2709W to see if it would interfere with the touch sensitive button and it worked fine. I removed it right away, because I would rather have the light telling me if the display is on or in standby mode (blinking amber). The blue LED fine with me.

Dave

Hello. I have a Hitachi 19" CRT Superscan 753 monitor now. It still works but is having some issue where the monitor pops every so often and the screen goes off and on.

I am looking for a replacement and I am not sure if the Dell 2209WA fits the bill or not. This monitor still works and hasn't died on me yet so I am in no rush to buy just yet.

How would you say a Dell 2209WA would compare with a Hitachi CM753 monitor? It was a professional grade CRT with very high refresh ranges and frequencies. I realize LCD's don't have flicker, but there are 120Hz LCD monitors on the market for Samsung for instance and unfortunately I don't see one available just yet with this panel.

I prefer to use quality makers when buying a monitor and I never really considered Dell on my radar list.

I see that this is the only 22" IPS panel on the market which is made by LG. Are other vendors other than Dell going to be using this panel? As of June 2009 I see this panel showing up on lists for third party suppliers but the panel is still not on the LG main website.

How would you say a Dell 2209WA would compare with a Hitachi CM753 monitor? It was a professional grade CRT with very high refresh ranges and frequencies.

I have both the Hitachi CM751 and KDS VS-195e. Both have the same 19" Hitachi tube with .22mm dot pitch. I bought them for the same reason - it's the best CRT ever made and Sony Trinitrons can bow down to them. :D

I am looking at buying this Dell too, and my standards are high like yours. However, I use LCD's at work and have seen quite a few of them. Prepare to be disappointed. I believe an IPS panel will come close, but nothing will compare to the black level, input speed, color fidelity and ghost free images of a CRT. Of course, you'll get perfect geometry with an LCD, but that's a small price to pay.

If you can wait a few weeks, I plan on picking up one of these Dells and would be happy to give my mini-review.

Last edited:
I purchased two of these in the past month. The first one at my house works like a charm. The second one at my office was installed two days ago and I just tested the USB outlets on the left hand side. Nothing. Nothing on the back two either. What am I missing that is fundamental? Before buying these, I went through 50+ pages of the thread and do not remember seeing anything about USB problems. Thanks.

No thanks on the Review. The Dell IPS is not what I want at all.

I am waiting for reviews on the Samsung F2380 and LG W2220P and I don't even know if these are acceptable to what I want since the F2380 will be due in July and the LG W2220P should also come out this year, as LG has to replace its 2008 line with the 2009 models.

My ideal monitor will be LED with 120HZ Refresh rate with IPS or better technology with a higher color gamut. 22" sounds like the Size I want right now or 23" at the largest end.

I would spend more than the Dell for a monitor but not $1,000+ like the NEC in the 24" range. This may mean waiting for 2010 or 2011 models.

The Dell is one of the few, if only regular 22" monitors that can actually do 1680x1050@75hz over DVI. It's not 120, but it's better than 60 for those who actually like to use V-Sync in gaming.

Is there a specific reason you want a monitor with a wide gamut panel? The reason I ask is that generally unless you are specifically using color-managed software, you will be dealing with over saturation that is very prominent on reds and greens, and while they can be calibrated, the over saturation cannot be "calibrated out".

IT168.com has a review on the F2380, but it will likely be mid-July before it comes out, and from what I've read it is also a standard SRGB monitor without the wide gamut you seek. Alternatively S-PVA screens usually have the darkest blacks and don't have the white hazy glow on blacks off-angle that H-IPS and eIPS (without the A-TW Polarizer) have.

Here is that review. Obviously the translation leaves something to be desired, but I think it should be good enough:

http://translate.google.com/transla...fficial&hs=PIP&sa=G&rurl=translate.google.com

Also the 2x20p monitors from LG may only be for EMEA market, and not North America.

If you are happy with your CRT stick with that for a while. In the future you may see some monitors that are also capable of higher refresh rates, but there is no guarantee that 120hz will become prevalent in the market.

No thanks on the Review. The Dell IPS is not what I want at all.

I am waiting for reviews on the Samsung F2380 and LG W2220P and I don't even know if these are acceptable to what I want since the F2380 will be due in July and the LG W2220P should also come out this year, as LG has to replace its 2008 line with the 2009 models.

My ideal monitor will be LED with 120HZ Refresh rate with IPS or better technology with a higher color gamut. 22" sounds like the Size I want right now or 23" at the largest end.

I would spend more than the Dell for a monitor but not $1,000+ like the NEC in the 24" range. This may mean waiting for 2010 or 2011 models.

Last edited:
I have both the Hitachi CM751 and KDS VS-195e. Both have the same 19" Hitachi tube with .22mm dot pitch. I bought them for the same reason - it's the best CRT ever made and Sony Trinitrons can bow down to them. :D

I am looking at buying this Dell too, and my standards are high like yours. However, I use LCD's at work and have seen quite a few of them. Prepare to be disappointed. I believe an IPS panel will come close, but nothing will compare to the black level, input speed, color fidelity and ghost free images of a CRT. Of course, you'll get perfect geometry with an LCD, but that's a small price to pay.

If you can wait a few weeks, I plan on picking up one of these Dells and would be happy to give my mini-review.

I'm trying to switch off my CRT so it seems there are three of us in the same boat.. I have yet to find an LCD that doesn't seem a downgrade but I'm trying to lower my expectations.. over time I will prob become used to the difference and not notice it.

Back