Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

desertjedi can you please test if possible thanks.

Put something that has a lot of black or dark colours on screen, preferably a video clip or something and then position yourself so you lower and maybe slightly to the side of the screen, it can be at a distance. Then please tell me if there is any distortion to the colours especially the black, ideally I would like you to do this when its dark surroundings. Since you also have a vp930b you are perfect for seeing if this monitor is as good and yep you right it is indeed a couple of generations old and was very highly rated at the time. Bear in mind my vp930b (first one as now have exchanged refurbished one when old one died) did have backlight bleed and it was still good enough for me, most of it was gone when I reduced the brightness. So I will be satisfied if there is only minor issues it doesnt have to be 100% perfect.

Personally I think people are being way to picky. These are excellent monitors at an excellent price!
I completely agree. I use a lot of different monitors at work, and have been through several at home. This one is by far the best yet, and at $226 out the door I cannot find anything to complain about. I am SOO glad I didn't settle for some $220 22" TN panel at Bestbuy...

I am SOO glad I didn't settle for some $220 22" TN panel at Bestbuy...
Word to that Brother!!! I'm guessing that's what most people do. About a year ago, I returned TN LCDs to both Best Buy and Newegg. They were horrible. I ended up with a 20" non-widescreen Planar. This Dell is a dream compared to anything I've had before.

With a price like $212 (or $279 if you can't get the deal), I don't see why people would opt for a TN panel.

Chrcoluk, I'll see what I can do. I start Jury Duty tomorrow for two weeks so my I will be scrambling for free time. Keep in mind that my determination will be fairly subjective.

I'm sure most of you know this but I've read here that some folks have been shut down on the deal... So I went to Dell Small Business and placed the monitor in my cart and then proceeded to checkout and then clicked the "chat" option... $212 thru friday...

Last edited:
Word to that Brother!!! I'm guessing that's what most people do. About a year ago, I returned TN LCDs to both Best Buy and Newegg. They were horrible. I ended up with a 20" non-widescreen Planar. This Dell is a dream compared to anything I've had before.

With a price like $212 (or $279 if you can't get the deal), I don't see why people would opt for a TN panel.

Chrcoluk, I'll see what I can do. I start Jury Duty tomorrow for two weeks so my I will be scrambling for free time. Keep in mind that my determination will be fairly subjective.

thanks, if you dont have the time its very understandable and I appreciate you will try to fit it in. It is possible I may just go for it and order tommorow but I am so 50/50 at the moment.

im still haveing a werid issue with my 2209wa.

first of all when i run in digital mode and reboot my pc I dont even get bios screen to show up and it goes into powersave mode. works fine in VGA on boot up. i can also only get digital mode to work is when i have no drivers installed. boot into windows first using my DLP tv then take the cable out of the tv and hook the lcd monitor up to my 7900gtx. but right when i reboot it goes back to powersave mode?? tech support didnt help fken idiots telling me the montor seems to be working must be your PC. -_- maybe this monitor is gay with a 7900gtx. ill test it on my dads pc with some crappy built in mobo card setup. and im still waiting on my 285 gtx to come but that wont be for like 15 days.

@william_fontaine

I hope not, that wasn't my intention... Just to give folks the heads up that if they ask, the deal is still good through Friday. Now I feel bad... I removed her name and email from my last message.

@william_fontaine

I hope not, that wasn't my intention... Just to give folks the heads up that if they ask, the deal is still good through Friday. Now I feel bad... I removed her name and email from my last message.

I'm sure it's fine! Dell probably has a pretty good spam filter.

What people should do in the future is have the Dell Rep email them a quote. The quote stays in the system for something like two weeks if I remember correctly.

im still haveing a werid issue with my 2209wa.

first of all when i run in digital mode and reboot my pc I dont even get bios screen to show up and it goes into powersave mode. works fine in VGA on boot up. i can also only get digital mode to work is when i have no drivers installed. boot into windows first using my DLP tv then take the cable out of the tv and hook the lcd monitor up to my 7900gtx. but right when i reboot it goes back to powersave mode?? tech support didnt help fken idiots telling me the montor seems to be working must be your PC. -_- maybe this monitor is gay with a 7900gtx. ill test it on my dads pc with some crappy built in mobo card setup. and im still waiting on my 285 gtx to come but that wont be for like 15 days.

That is a issue of your video card not having the DVI connector active from it's bios. That is why the vga works but not digital. It is a common issue and can be fixed by editing the video card bios but sometimes you cannot enable it.

BTW, have you installed the monitor driver?

That is a issue of your video card not having the DVI connector active from it's bios. That is why the vga works but not digital. It is a common issue and can be fixed by editing the video card bios but sometimes you cannot enable it.

BTW, have you installed the monitor driver?

hmm well my refurby didnt come with a driver disk maybe that will help ill scour dells site for it thanks

Well Chrcoluk, I'm writing this in the dark using my new Dell 2209WA and I'm looking at the darkly colored Hardforum page and I'm not getting any color shifting or weird halo effects. The only thing that happens as I go far left/right or up/down is that the picture gets washed out and the blacks become grays...like someone turned the brightness up too far. Have you seen this vid on the 2209WA's viewing angles? It's quite impressive.

i want to ask you all a question. how is this new led lcd compared to a normal lcd?

i am thinking about buying one.

This will be my first LCD purchase, upgrading from a CRT. I scoured the internet looking for info on the best LCD monitor under $300 or so, then came across a thread about the 2209wa, after reading about how IPS panels operate and their advantages, the mostly glowing reviews on threads such as this one, and on other sites from folks and some videos of the product on youtube I was sold, THEN I read about the "get the lower price thru dell chat trick" I ordered one ASAP, the second time thru on the dell chat I got" the deal" offered to me, got mine for $225 including taxes and free shipping, plus the 3 year exchange warranty ...... was a no brainer to me. My LCD is currently "in production" with a delivery date of 5/20, but from what ive read it should definitely be worth the wait. :D

This will be my first LCD purchase, upgrading from a CRT. I scoured the internet looking for info on the best LCD monitor under $300 or so, then came across a thread about the 2209wa, after reading about how IPS panels operate and their advantages, the mostly glowing reviews on threads such as this one, and on other sites from folks and some videos of the product on youtube I was sold, THEN I read about the "get the lower price thru dell chat trick" I ordered one ASAP, the second time thru on the dell chat I got" the deal" offered to me, got mine for $225 including taxes and free shipping, plus the 3 year exchange warranty ...... was a no brainer to me. My LCD is currently "in production" with a delivery date of 5/20, but from what ive read it should definitely be worth the wait. :D
Looks like waiting we will be too. There were some reports of a few folks having their order shipped the next day, but that doesn't appear to be the case any longer. I ordered on Monday, April 27th and I'm still stuck at "In Production" with an estimated delivery date of 5/15 (I did get Next Day shipping though).

well, I have plenty of time to clean off the computer desk and clean things up for the new arrival then it would seem :p;)

Well Chrcoluk, I'm writing this in the dark using my new Dell 2209WA and I'm looking at the darkly colored Hardforum page and I'm not getting any color shifting or weird halo effects. The only thing that happens as I go far left/right or up/down is that the picture gets washed out and the blacks become grays...like someone turned the brightness up too far. Have you seen this vid on the 2209WA's viewing angles? It's quite impressive.

yep seen that one, is a very bright clip tho with light colours.

Really dont know what to do as I can be at an extreme angle on this monitor and the blacks stay black, however I dont need extreme angles when in bed I am probably 30 degrees or so angle downwards. If you only seeing the washing out and greys at extreme angles I will probably go for it as I dont expect to be that far out.

Incidently this current vp930b seems worse colour reproduction than my original unit so this may sway my decision. I said I was happy well I lied, my original vp930b was almost perfect, then some conductors failed and I had it swapped out. This newer one (probably refurbished) now has glary whites which messes up peoples faces etc. in movies, even when i reduce gamma brightness etc. whites are way overpowering so this will likely motivate me to get the 2209WA anyway.

Thanks for testing and I will let you know here if I take the plunge and then of course how I get on with the monitor.

My 2209WA was delivered today, I paid $212 with free shipping, $240 something after tax, fantastic value for sure! I'm very impressed with the monitor so far, no dead or stuck pixels, I've already calibrated it with my Eye One Display 2, the colors are spot on, very crisp image.

I got this monitor to replace my broken NEC 20wmgx2, and while I think the NEC's image was a bit crisper, this is definitely a suitable replacement, the extra 2" doesn't hurt either! Still getting used to the slightly larger size.

I love it!

desertjedi can you please test if possible thanks.

Put something that has a lot of black or dark colours on screen, preferably a video clip or something and then position yourself so you lower and maybe slightly to the side of the screen, it can be at a distance. Then please tell me if there is any distortion to the colours especially the black, ideally I would like you to do this when its dark surroundings. Since you also have a vp930b you are perfect for seeing if this monitor is as good and yep you right it is indeed a couple of generations old and was very highly rated at the time. Bear in mind my vp930b (first one as now have exchanged refurbished one when old one died) did have backlight bleed and it was still good enough for me, most of it was gone when I reduced the brightness. So I will be satisfied if there is only minor issues it doesnt have to be 100% perfect.

You have nothing to be worried about. I just sat with the lights out and the "black level" test on lagom's web site going up and down, left and right, looking at the screen from all sorts of angles.

The further you sit back, the less the effect is there, or likely to show up.

The effect doesn't lose black level details until you are at a completely unrealistic viewing angle, and even then it's not horrid. The good part is, the black levels are very good. They aren't far from my 2709W which is the best I've seen in terms of black levels.

The buzzing inverter is really starting to irk me. The darker the images on the screen, the louder the buzz. Anyone else getting this?

Well it's about time, I was getting impatient. The monitor finally shipped, should be here tomorrow. I suspected it wouldn't actually be 5/15 before it shipped, but man, the wait is killing me.

3489177584_566e7497fc.jpg

Can't wait to report back with my thoughts.

@william_fontaine

I'm sure it's fine! Dell probably has a pretty good spam filter.

What people should do in the future is have the Dell Rep email them a quote. The quote stays in the system for something like two weeks if I remember correctly.

Almost everything I have read about this monitor sounds good.
I know it doesn't support 1:1 scaling, but I wanted to confirm that fixed display scaling works (either from the monitor or though the nvidia control panel). I still play 4:3 AR games, so it would be a downer in the unlikely event this didn't work.
Thanks

It has 4:3 scaling, but not 16:9. That's the only feature I feel is missing.

I'm starting to get annoyed by the red tint on the right side of the screen. I didn't think it was a big deal at first, but I keep seeing it all the time. I'm going to try my luck at a replacement. The product page claims "the monitor boasts excellent color accuracy and uniformity" so if they're going to list uniformity as a feature, I might as well call them on it. ;)

Well.. I hope I don't regret this, but I just pulled the trigger and ordered two of them. Dell has instant savings on again, having them at $220. I've tried haggling with 5 different people on the Dell Chat and go no where. They already have free shipping on orders over $125 I believe, so free shipping at least. I've been reading on monitors for about two months now and I swear there's not one monitor that everyone seems to agree on. I'm going to eventually tri screen, so eventually I'll get a bigger monitor for the primary middle monitor, so hopefully these should be good enough for me. I wanted the viewing angle and the color reproduction at those angles, which are important when you multi screen. And I'll be doing Adobe CS4 on these. Might just try to find a slightly biggger MVA/PVA monitor for the middle. I've considered the Dell 27".

Almost everything I have read about this monitor sounds good.
I know it doesn't support 1:1 scaling, but I wanted to confirm that fixed display scaling works (either from the monitor or though the nvidia control panel). I still play 4:3 AR games, so it would be a downer in the unlikely event this didn't work.
Thanks

I had the same thoughts so on my current monitor I enabled "disable scaling" option in nvidia panel and loaded up a full screen app that has a lower res, the window was at native res still but simply smaller at centre of screen, so I assume it works for everything. Basically since nvidia (I assume also ati) now can disable scaling in the software, hardware 1:1 is basically obselete.

--edit--

I have ordered my dell now but am gutted at the timing, only have myself to blame for dawdling. Next day delivery only if order before 5pm, ordered at 5.20pm on a thursday so for sake of 20 minutes I will now get monday instead of friday ouch.

Thanks for the replies. My current monitor (VX2025) is still a nice one, but I went ahead and took the plunge. $219 is pretty good when you consider I paid $350 for the 20" 3 years back. Anyhow, the 3 year warranty was enough to assuage any misgivings (if it weren't for the warranty I'd probably file off the ugly dell logo from the front). Dell estimated delivery by late next month, so I guess I'll have to live in anticipation for now.
Cheers

Add me to the list of purchased today. I've been using my Dell 1704FVP (PVA) for years now and been debating between this and the HP LP2275w. But the price of the Dell won so I hope its not a real noticeable difference between my old pva and the new e-ips.

Add this to the S2309W I just bought yesterday @150 and Im gona be broke soon...again

2209wa has been shipped according to Dell, estimated for 5-5-09 , originally it was 5-20-09 so if you order and it says 2-3 weeks or so dont freak Dell told me the same thing when I ordered mine too on 4-28

Darnit, just checked my e-mail. Paypal must of screwed up while I was leaving for work, the order didn't go through.

I think I'll be fine with the monitor, because I'm not the worlds pickiest person. I just know the viewing angles will be nice to have. I also remember reading somewhere in this thread that the input lag seemed to be pretty good on this monitor, correct me if I'm wrong.

Upon further inspection, mine has 4 stuck pixels and the buzzing is loud as ever. Too bad SMB is only open till 7pm, ARGH, this thing is going back ASAP.

I received my replacement monitor yesterday and it has no dead or stuck pixels, very happy. However I noticed something, both monitors had a very visible appearances.

The replacement monitor is quite a bit brighter than the previous one, pretty noticeable. I had them both set up in dual to compare, both with the same profile and settings loaded. It also seems to be slightly crushing my blacks, even with previous profiles that worked fine on the other monitor.

How could I go about fixing this without hardware calibration? Raising or lowering the gamma seems to just make things too bright or too dark.

Using 10e's profile, 0 brightness 74 contrast with custom RGB set.

Any of you fine folks that are upgrading to the 2209WA are now going to have a 2005fpw to get rid off?

;) WTB.

Back