Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Has anyone been playing any games on this monitor? All of a sudden tonight when moving around, objects are blurring pretty bad. Wasn't like this yesterday. Obviously there will be some, just seems worse than before for no apparent reason. Also turning on vsync in the game I was in, made inputs lag pretty bad, which I found odd, since that wasn't happening yesterday either.

@10e thanks for the answer

to be clear, the first picture is the real one, a little brighter in the top-right corner, but not very obvious. the second picture is in fact the first picture taken with a longer exposure time, to highlight the issue.is not about the angle - i checked :)

what is bothering me is that the white glow is only on the right side. it could be a problem in time or it could accentuate?

once more, the real picture is this one:

img157711.jpg

By herculane, shot with Canon PowerShot A550 at 2009-04-14

Yep, it works. 1680x1050@75hz reported by video card, monitor, and eyes. No herky jerky mouse and movements like I've seen on other screens.

10e can you be sure that it really do 1680x1050@75Hz and not dropping any frames..?

Dell.ca has the Dell Days of Small Business Deals on right now.

Day 3 (April 15th)

Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA $189.99 canadian

My Dell 2209WA(Digital).icm profile, my Dell 2209WA(Digital).icc profile, Dell 2209WA OEM Monitor Manual (use index.htm to open in browser), and set-up .pdf can be downloaded here

thanks for posting your profile, rtheb :)

could you could 1 thing, are R, G, B values you mention below in their "upper" or lower" states (they got 2 "states" for any numerical value, which makes things confusing. Too bad they don't use 0-255 scale).

After Calibrating with Spyder2 PRO used these RGB settings
R 100
G 97
B 99

Day 3 (April 15th)

Just called our man Marcus and he said they can't match the $189.99 which would actually be just under $156 US.

thanks for posting your profile, rtheb :)

could you could 1 thing, are R, G, B values you mention below in their "upper" or lower" states (they got 2 "states" for any numerical value, which makes things confusing. Too bad they don't use 0-255 scale).

I'm not sure what you are referencing but all I can find is "Display Mode" with two choices:
Graphics
Video

Mine is in the Graphics mode.

I'm not sure what you are referencing but all I can find is "Display Mode" with two choices:
Graphics
Video

Mine is in the Graphics mode.

I mean R, G, B values in "Custom (RGB)*" preset mode (with "mode selection" set to Graphics of course).

*) when activated, you get access to set these 3 values (R, G and B) with sliders.

I mean R, G, B values in "Custom (RGB)*" preset mode (with "mode selection" set to Graphics of course).

*) when activated, you get access to set these 3 values (R, G and B) with sliders.

That is how and where I set the values with the sliders.

I still do not know what you mean by "upper" and "lower"?

Don't worry about it deserjedi, they did the same to me and its supposed to arrive on the original Estimated Delivery Date, tomorrow :D:D:D..
Mine says it will ship on 5/11, ordered last weekend. I hope that they are giving me a conservative date...

That is how and where I set the values with the sliders.

I still do not know what you mean by "upper" and "lower"?

each numeric setting (100, 99, 98 etc) actually has 2 "states": ie. you are at 100, you need 2 button presses to make the value change to 99, again 2 presses to get to 98 and so on, hence each value like 99, 98 etc has 2 "states" as I call them ("upper" - 1 press need to get to value higher by 1 (like 99 -> 100), and "lower" - 1 button press needed to get to value *lower* by 1 ie 99 -> 98).

10e can you be sure that it really do 1680x1050@75Hz and not dropping any frames..?

No mouse lurching and both the monitor and video card are showing 1680x1050@75hz. I have tried this on other screens so I know what to look for in regards to "choppy" motion of the mouse, windows, etc....

Maybe it's placebo effect, but the mouse almost seems smoother than before visually, so I'm hoping it's the real deal.

Day 3 (April 15th)

Suh-weet! That's almost half what I paid!

@10e thanks for the answer

to be clear, the first picture is the real one, a little brighter in the top-right corner, but not very obvious. the second picture is in fact the first picture taken with a longer exposure time, to highlight the issue.is not about the angle - i checked :)

what is bothering me is that the white glow is only on the right side. it could be a problem in time or it could accentuate?

once more, the real picture is this one:

By herculane, shot with Canon PowerShot A550 at 2009-04-14

I don't think it will change for the worse or better. Both my 2709W and 2209WA show this to a very small extent too, so it is likely a "build quality feature" for lack of a better term, ie. something due to build quality. My older 2005FPW S-IPS panel had a tiny bit of this too, but it never changed for worse or better.

An experiment might be to change your brightness to 100% for a half hour, then lower it to your previous setting and see if it is any worse as soon as you reduce back to your brightness level. The reason I think this might tell you something is that at 100% the panel will make more heat, and will expand more (especially at the top because hot air rises) and might show if it will change over time, just in a more accelerated, albeit brief fashion.

If it's not a big deal to you, I would keep it, but if it is, I would exchange, but your mileage may vary and you might end up with another unit that has this plus other maladies.

Mine says it will ship on 5/11, ordered last weekend. I hope that they are giving me a conservative date...

Ordered mine 6 days ago, on the 9th. Was told that they were backordered for 5-7 days (estimated), and that it should ship then, that the estimated ship date was so far away just to cover their bases. Mine still hasn't shipped.

each numeric setting (100, 99, 98 etc) actually has 2 "states": ie. you are at 100, you need 2 button presses to make the value change to 99, again 2 presses to get to 98 and so on, hence each value like 99, 98 etc has 2 "states" as I call them ("upper" - 1 press need to get to value higher by 1 (like 99 -> 100), and "lower" - 1 button press needed to get to value *lower* by 1 ie 99 -> 98).

I just checked and the values are as follows:

R = 100 Upper
G = 97 Lower
B = 99 Upper

Last edited:
No mouse lurching and both the monitor and video card are showing 1680x1050@75hz. I have tried this on other screens so I know what to look for in regards to "choppy" motion of the mouse, windows, etc....

Maybe it's placebo effect, but the mouse almost seems smoother than before visually, so I'm hoping it's the real deal.

Ok I belive You :))

That's really strange. I don't own a 2209WA myself, but I know someone who does and I tried 75Hz on their monitor. Switching it to 75Hz resulted in a huge amount of artifacts (mostly flickering lines going through the screen), and the mouse seemed to be moving oddly, though it was hard to see anything through the mess. This was over a DVI connection.

I'm not sure why it seems to be working for some people here though. I'd be really interested in picking one of these up myself if it could do a true 75Hz, but from what I've seen so far it looks like at least some of them do not.

question regarding sharpness setting: it was mentioned that value to 40 is considered the best, instead of default 50. Q: how did you come to this conlusion and can it be "measured" somehow (that it's *objectively* better than 50) or is it a matter of preference (thus sujbjective). If the former, why isn't 40 he dafault setting? From what I understand, 50 is considered too sharp by the majority here, right? (BTW: too bad sharpness setting can only be changed in 0-100 range in increments of 10 (0, 10, 20, 30 etc), not 1).

ps does sharpness setting apply to text only, or to whole image (inluding non-text) displayed on-screen (i.e everything gets blurried or sharpened)?

Last edited:
I wonder if the ability to do 1680x1050 @ 75hz is GPU dependent. I've got a mobile X1300 and it'll only let me go up to 1280x800 @ 75hz.

Hi guys, owned my 2009wa for about a week now and Ive just watched a film and noticed some tearing in certain frames. Usually a slow panning shot involving close up of faces make it really obvious.

I've heard a lot of talk about 75hz refresh rate @ native res but I can't find any documenation that supports this. Official spec here http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/products/snp/monitor-dell-2209wa-spec-sheet.pdf says max is 60hz.

So is it actually possible? And if so, is warranty still valid if we go against the official spec?

/edit found the user guide posted earlier, so it supports 75hz for definite. Any ideas how to get it working on an ATI card?

/edit edit this tearing is apparently only noticeable in VLC player, media player suffers no such tearing however the frame rate is noticeably lower in media player. Possibly vsync automatically on with media player but I'm not sure, I guess i'll have to compromise somewhere unless I can find a way to improve VLCs render.

Last edited:
question regarding sharpness setting: it was mentioned that value to 40 is considered the best, instead of default 50. Q: how did you come to this conlusion and can it be "measured" somehow (that it's *objectively* better than 50) or is it a matter of preference (thus sujbjective). If the former, why isn't 40 he dafault setting? From what I understand, 50 is considered too sharp by the majority here, right? (BTW: too bad sharpness setting can only be changed in 0-100 range in increments of 10 (0, 10, 20, 30 etc), not 1).

ps does sharpness setting apply to text only, or to whole image (inluding non-text) displayed on-screen (i.e everything gets blurried or sharpened)?

Do the lagom.nl Sharpness test. You will notice that at one particular value of Sharpness, the center will noticeably merge with the rest of the image compared to any other setting. On the two 2209WA monitors I've seen, that value was 40. Individual owners should check this test and setting on each one, as it's a really important setting to get right.

Just placed an order via small business chat, dealt with SMB_Mary, she was a pleasure to deal with and she gave me the $212 + free shipping deal! She says the estimated shipping date is May 5th, but she said that they usually ship much sooner than that.

Thanks guys! Will report back on it's quality to add to this very informative thread. I'll be calibrating it with an Eye one display 2.

Just finished setting up my two, and all I can say is WoW.

Currently watching 300 on the second.. :D

How were people's experiences with going through technical support to set up a return for their new monitor? I don't think I have a dead pixel because it's not black. It's just permanently slightly darker than whatever color should be appearing in that spot, so it appears grayish. Is that a stuck pixel?

How were people's experiences with going through technical support to set up a return for their new monitor? I don't think I have a dead pixel because it's not black. It's just permanently slightly darker than whatever color should be appearing in that spot, so it appears grayish. Is that a stuck pixel?

Yes, that's most likely a stuck pixel, and exchange is very easy. These monitors are part of their Ultrasharp line, which has a zero-bright-pixel guarantee. Just call the number listed on your invoice and you should have an RMA being shipped to you within 10 minutes. I think that number was (800) 901-3355. If I remember correctly, they transferred me to (800) 822-8965, which is their warranty support number. Call the one listed on the receipt and they'll tell you if you need to call a different number.

If it's been less than a month (I believe? Dell's return policy is 30 days, right? BenQ's is 21 days . . . hard to keep track of them all >_>), they'll ship you a replacement, and hold funds on your card until they receive the original monitor, which you'll ship back in the replacement's box. It includes a prepaid shipping label.

If it's been more than the return period, you have to ship the monitor back, but the premium panel guarantee lasts the life of the warranty, which is three years by default.

Thanks for the tip! Using your instructions I've added custom resolutions for 75Hz, and 72Hz as well.

When I run 72Hz on the 2209WA for 24fps movies/tv, there is no judder and the MPC renderer appears to be doing a straight 3:3 pulldown like it would on a 72Hz CRT.

Both the panel OSD and reclock report 72Hz. Can you check out 72Hz with your eyes and see if it's legit? Is there any reason not to run it this way?

I really want to get this monitor, but I wish it was at least 1920x1080. Does the native res on the Dell look as good as 1080p on other monitors and lcd TVs?

Does Dell have anything similar in a 24" model?

10e I know you have a bunch of monitors and now you have the Dell too. I have the 24" V2400w and I'm really considering this Dell. How do you feel about getting a 24" and 22". I feel like I should get two 24". Although I am mounting one on the wall above the other (not right above, I wanted it to be so that I could look up and watch TV/ other tasks on it. That's part of why I feel like I should get 1080p for Blu-Ray and future TV.

Last edited:
Damn, we must have just terrible luck. My wife and I did not manage to get the discounted price. Every rep said "we aren't doing any price drops for the 2009 models, including for the 2209wa". We bought my wifes 2209wa at full price... Whatever its worth every single penny. I could not stand her dealing with TN panels anymore. THe one on her laptop was so far off - and she does photo editing - and had to jump through some hoops there to make it look OK on others screens.

In any case the 2209wa is a breathtaking monitor with a massive viewing angle, colors don't change based on angle, its sharp, crisp, bright, and very VERY accurate with colors. the 1680x1050 does not really bother us - its more of a panel for photo stuff than movies.

Hi guys, owned my 2009wa for about a week now and Ive just watched a film and noticed some tearing in certain frames. Usually a slow panning shot involving close up of faces make it really obvious.

I've heard a lot of talk about 75hz refresh rate @ native res but I can't find any documenation that supports this. Official spec here http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/products/snp/monitor-dell-2209wa-spec-sheet.pdf says max is 60hz.

So is it actually possible? And if so, is warranty still valid if we go against the official spec?

/edit found the user guide posted earlier, so it supports 75hz for definite. Any ideas how to get it working on an ATI card?

/edit edit this tearing is apparently only noticeable in VLC player, media player suffers no such tearing however the frame rate is noticeably lower in media player. Possibly vsync automatically on with media player but I'm not sure, I guess i'll have to compromise somewhere unless I can find a way to improve VLCs render.

I don't use VLC due to many problems; I found media player classic works better. Anyways, in media player classic, there's an option under playback or output, the one with the "VMR 9 renderless" settings; the option is called "lock back playback buffer" or something, and it fixes broken VSync for me (it's mentioned in the tooltip for the check box as well".

I don't use VLC due to many problems; I found media player classic works better. Anyways, in media player classic, there's an option under playback or output, the one with the "VMR 9 renderless" settings; the option is called "lock back playback buffer" or something, and it fixes broken VSync for me (it's mentioned in the tooltip for the check box as well".

Updated VLC player and it seems to have fixed this. Thanks though I'll keep that in mind with media player.

Back