Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Ouch... Curious if people are still able to get this for the $200+ something price or not now...
Didn't it start off at $299? Surprised it jumped upto $369.99...unless they changed the panel to something even better? Though... that's hardly believable...

I got mine a week ago right before they drop the price to 279 - 40 instant saving through live chat. I simply asked if they have discount for 2209wa and i was offered with 192 x 2 + tax + freeship. so i say it might be still worth a shot to see if you can get discount. Be sure u talk to a small business sales agent instead of others.

because of this lcd is so damn good, makes me feel stupid having settled with TN lcd for the past 4 years. im not an expert at LCD so i can't talk in the way like many of you do. for me, after applying e10's icc profile this monitor blows away everything i have used in the past. from sony's hs75p to samsung's 226bw(c) to acer's p241.

if you are interested in this monitor, i suggest that you pull the triger now rather than later. looks to me dell is boosting its number for Q1 2009 sale, so take your chance now while this monitor is on sale for $240. beside price advantage, you should also conider its future availability because there is a bigger market for 2209wa outside the U.S (*china), talking about population and demand here.

chinese website "IT168" has been doing group buys on 2209wa for a few times already, lowest price they pay was about $230 in units of 100 due to its high demand this monitor has been sold out for couple of times in china. (they would like "Wut !" if i tell them i pay $200 for unit of one :p )

on top of that, there is another fact that by taking apart 2209wa, IT168 concluded that these pannels are from LG left overs, meaning it could be the end of 2209wa when its inventory runs out..

Left overs from what. I don't think there are 22" IPS panels other than this.

e-ips crystal in shapes of h-ips panel, but one bar down in term of quality. h-ips is old, s-ips is newer, ips-a not release yet. if we can rule out being s-ips and ips-a, 2209wa is possible h-ips with cheaper filter. -not a direct quota but close in translation.

e-ips crystal in shapes of h-ips panel, but one bar down in term of quality. h-ips is old, s-ips is newer, ips-a not release yet. if we can rule out being s-ips and ips-a, 2209wa is possible h-ips with cheaper filter. -not a direct quota but close in translation.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Does this monitor make anyone else's eyes hurt? I've messed around with the settings quite a bit, but it always looks like it's blurry and sharp at the same time. It's most noticeable with contrasting colors.

Actually, S-IPS is far older than H-IPS

Does this monitor make anyone else's eyes hurt? I've messed around with the settings quite a bit, but it always looks like it's blurry and sharp at the same time. It's most noticeable with contrasting colors.

God, I honestly feel that way with almost all Dell monitors.

I've got another question.

Does it take a while for the screen to warm up, when turned on the white seems grey. Then after a while it brightens up, is this normal?

You know you can't just make things up in your head and ask people to post pictures of them.

what ? i've just ask if somwone has the arctic silver version ... because all real photo on the web are of the black version..:)

Glad you like it. Mine is now in place of my 2709W on my desk. I've decided that the slight uniformity issue is not enough to dissuade me from this fine screen.

I don't think LG will be discontinuing this panel, but they will be bringing out similar eIPS, standard gamut, Full HD and up panels in the near future from 22" 1080p to 24" and 27" 1080p and 1920x1200. I look forward to seeing more standard gamut IPS panels in the market in 1920x1080 and 1920x1200.

The 22" panel LG is making in this screen is brand new, and has similar advantages and disadvantages of newer LG H-IPS panels seen on other models.

I would actually suggest people wait to see what LG based eIPS screens come in the near future.

because of this lcd is so damn good, makes me feel stupid having settled with TN lcd for the past 4 years. im not an expert at LCD so i can't talk in the way like many of you do. for me, after applying e10's icc profile this monitor blows away everything i have used in the past. from sony's hs75p to samsung's 226bw(c) to acer's p241.

if you are interested in this monitor, i suggest that you pull the triger now rather than later. looks to me dell is boosting its number for Q1 2009 sale, so take your chance now while this monitor is on sale for $240. beside price advantage, you should also conider its future availability because there is a bigger market for 2209wa outside the U.S (*china), talking about population and demand here.

chinese website "IT168" has been doing group buys on 2209wa for a few times already, lowest price they pay was about $230 in units of 100 due to its high demand this monitor has been sold out for couple of times in china. (they would like "Wut !" if i tell them i pay $200 for unit of one :p )

on top of that, there is another fact that by taking apart 2209wa, IT168 concluded that these pannels are from LG left overs, meaning it could be the end of 2209wa when its inventory runs out..

what ? i've just ask if somwone has the arctic silver version ... because all real photo on the web are of the black version..:)

I think I remember seeing on the dell site that the european models have a silver bezel

Glad you like it. Mine is now in place of my 2709W on my desk. I've decided that the slight uniformity issue is not enough to dissuade me from this fine screen.

I don't think LG will be discontinuing this panel, but they will be bringing out similar eIPS, standard gamut, Full HD and up panels in the near future from 22" 1080p to 24" and 27" 1080p and 1920x1200. I look forward to seeing more standard gamut IPS panels in the market in 1920x1080 and 1920x1200.

The 22" panel LG is making in this screen is brand new, and has similar advantages and disadvantages of newer LG H-IPS panels seen on other models.

I would actually suggest people wait to see what LG based eIPS screens come in the near future.

Yep a 24" 1080p would be awesome, maybe pricey though. The newer panels from LG will have to be priced aggressively to compete with these Dells on sale price, and I'm not sure they will as they will be more encroaching on the HP and NEC 24" IPS panels so there is more profit available to compete up there.

I'm not a frequent buyer so Ill be sticking with these for years, the performance with a white background is soothing for me, easy on my eyes.

The only annoyance I have is that on boot I have to press the digital/analog button as the pc doesnt 'wake up' the LCD. Is there are trick to this?

Can someone help me out here. I bought the Dell 2207 based on this thread. Overall the monitor is good just got it yesterday. I played with the color profile based on posts from this thread. One major problem...I can't get white to look anything like white. All things white have a blueish/gray cast. I changed all the settings that I can find.

My primary monitor is a Dell 2707 and color rendition is very good but there is a world of difference between the two panels. If this is as good as it gets, I'll have to send it back.

Any advice is appreciated...

[H]ealer;1033890158 said:
Can someone help me out here. I bought the Dell 2207 based on this thread. Overall the monitor is good just got it yesterday. I played with the color profile based on posts from this thread. One major problem...I can't get white to look anything like white. All things white have a blueish/gray cast. I changed all the settings that I can find.

My primary monitor is a Dell 2707 and color rendition is very good but there is a world of difference between the two panels. If this is as good as it gets, I'll have to send it back.

Any advice is appreciated...

Check the color temperature settings? 6500K or 9300K? If it's been set to 9300K without you noticing it, that would make everything blueish.

I'm in the UK, and my 2209WA has a black bezel! Purchased from PCBuyIT as they include a pixel perfect guarantee:
http://www.pcbuyit.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=331

There is a silver option the Dell UK site, but buying from Dell direct is way more expensive in the UK

I think I remember seeing on the dell site that the european models have a silver bezel
Here in the Czech Republic we can buy both variants (with black or silver bezel), see, e.g.:
http://www.czechcomputer.cz/product.jsp?artno=63453
http://www.czechcomputer.cz/product.jsp?artno=63176

Thanks for the reply. I was able to solve this myself. For giggles I tried a different dvi cable and presto blueish cast is gone and whites are now white. Go figure...

Just ordered one yesterday (3/23) through the U.S. Dell sight and used the call button (they called me) on the page.
Got it for $212 through a guy named Xavier with free 3-5 day shipping.
I had to call them back today because their site said it wouldn't ship until 3/27and that I should receive it on 4/3/09, I've ordered from Newegg.com on a Monday (free 3-5 day shipping) and it shows up no later than that Friday.
So I called and asked the Dell CC why Newegg could do that but Dell couldn't so she gave me next day shipping but it still wont ship till 3/27.
Hopefully nothing goes wrong because I'm really looking forward to this monitor after reading so many good posts and reviews of it. (2209WA) had to make sure the guy knew exactly what monitor I wanted to purchase.

Yeah it will say that, but it ships unbelievably fast nonetheless. I ordered 2 with the free 3-5day ground shipping. I placed my order on a friday evening, well past the standard 5pm EST closing time. The email said it would not ship for one to two weeks, but I received the tracking number the next morning (yes, that's saturday morning) saying that they were shipped that day. I got the monitors on the tuesday.

I still have not received the email but it would be nice to get it this week while spring break is still going.

Just want to ask you who have this monitor if you compare the black level vs a TN monitor who is best..?
At http://www.digitalversus.com/article-358-4862-88.html they complain a bit in the black level..?
Price has droped in Sweden so this monitor is now in the budget limit but since I was disappointed to the black level on BenQ G2400WD I sure hope this is better...

Just want to ask you who have this monitor if you compare the black level vs a TN monitor who is best..?
At http://www.digitalversus.com/article-358-4862-88.html they complain a bit in the black level..?
Price has droped in Sweden so this monitor is now in the budget limit but since I was disappointed to the black level on BenQ G2400WD I sure hope this is better...

I don't know how they calibrated but I got a black level of 0.15 cdm/2 at minimum brightness which is a good result.

Their contrast ratio looks like it's at contrast of 50 which is low. At 75 the contrast ratio is over 800:1 for me.

The blacks should be better than TNs simply for the reason that when you look downward at a TN the whole screen brightens and washes out the black, which doesn't happen on IPS.

IPS does have the slight mirror glow at angles on blacks, but other colors don't wash out at angles like TNs, or darken from below.

hi!

I'm a fresh owner of 2209WA, and I've got a (potential) issue/problem:

on Windows XP desktop, when I turn "Show desktop icons" option OFF (right click om desktop -> 'Arrange icons by") so that the desktop is empty (and NO wallpaper!), and then I hit F5 and keep it pressed so it refreshes repeatedly/fast, I notice a light (grey?), horizontal (across whole display width), fast moving (top to bottom or reverse) stripe (it moves very fast as I keep F5 pressed). I don't see this stripe appear when there are some icons visible on desktop and I do F5.

I tested at native res 1680x1050 60Hz, and also at lower reses and @75Hz, and it's always there (moving horizontal stripe, several dozen pixel high, and whole display wide) with desktop icons OFF.

Q: what is this stripe, and why I can see it at all (tested the same thing on an non-wide TN, and it doesn't appear there). Does it mean my display is defective or something? Should I (try to) return it? Or is it normal/standard for these displays? Please test it yourself and report whether you can see it or not (on your 2209WA and other models).

TIA!

Finally got the email today stating that my 2209WA shipped yesterday and will be here tomorrow Woo Hoo !!
I'll have to give some great feedback to the Dell lady who helped me.

Thanks 10e

I don't know how they calibrated but I got a black level of 0.15 cdm/2 at minimum brightness which is a good result.

Their contrast ratio looks like it's at contrast of 50 which is low. At 75 the contrast ratio is over 800:1 for me.

The blacks should be better than TNs simply for the reason that when you look downward at a TN the whole screen brightens and washes out the black, which doesn't happen on IPS.

IPS does have the slight mirror glow at angles on blacks, but other colors don't wash out at angles like TNs, or darken from below.

on Windows XP desktop, when I turn "Show desktop icons" option OFF (right click om desktop -> 'Arrange icons by") so that the desktop is empty (and NO wallpaper!), and then I hit F5 and keep it pressed so it refreshes repeatedly/fast, I notice a light (grey?), horizontal (across whole display width), fast moving (top to bottom or reverse) stripe (it moves very fast as I keep F5 pressed). I don't see this stripe appear when there are some icons visible on desktop and I do F5.

Why do you even do that?

http://www.instantfundas.com/2008/02/myth-of-refreshing-desktop.html

I don't consider this to be of any importance whatsoever, and certainly not worth an RMA. If it bothers you, then don't do that, because doing that is totally pointless.

Hello all, I just joined this forum after reading a lot about this monitor in this thread.
This is my first lcd at home after a long time with crts (my last one was a sony trinitron). I have this monitor for 2 days now and I'm really impressed. Colors and contrast are excellent. I do not have any pixel or uniformity problems (well at least not the right part being darker) apart from a defect on right up part which is something like a stain, and causes waves (circles) of darker areas arround it. I don't know if that makes sense, I have a picture but I don't know how to upload it. Today I arranged a replacement. Dell people responded quickly, they asked for a phone and they called me.
Another issue I have is with dvi connection. Through dvi, native resolution is not listed nor any other wide format. Is that a problem of the vga card or the display?
If you have any questions, shoot...

(sorry for my English, I'm Greek) :)

That sounds defective to me. It may be something inside the monitor that is pushing against the back of the LCD screen panel.

If you wish to upload a picture, you need to have a flickr or photobucket account, upload the picture and then add the URL of the image on the post using the image button at the top of the post edit window, which looks like a mountain inside an envelope.

It's nice to see other Greeks buying this monitor :)

Hello all, I just joined this forum after reading a lot about this monitor in this thread.
This is my first lcd at home after a long time with crts (my last one was a sony trinitron). I have this monitor for 2 days now and I'm really impressed. Colors and contrast are excellent. I do not have any pixel or uniformity problems (well at least not the right part being darker) apart from a defect on right up part which is something like a stain, and causes waves (circles) of darker areas arround it. I don't know if that makes sense, I have a picture but I don't know how to upload it. Today I arranged a replacement. Dell people responded quickly, they asked for a phone and they called me.
Another issue I have is with dvi connection. Through dvi, native resolution is not listed nor any other wide format. Is that a problem of the vga card or the display?
If you have any questions, shoot...

(sorry for my English, I'm Greek) :)

As EvilSofa said, I don't understand why people do this sort of thing. There could be a hundred reasons why this happens with this monitor, and none of them may actually be the monitor itself.

I would try some high speed gaming and see if you have an issue, but this one, very "non-standard" test is not a good indicator of the monitor's quality.

hi!

I'm a fresh owner of 2209WA, and I've got a (potential) issue/problem:

I tested at native res 1680x1050 60Hz, and also at lower reses and @75Hz, and it's always there (moving horizontal stripe, several dozen pixel high, and whole display wide) with desktop icons OFF.

Q: what is this stripe, and why I can see it at all (tested the same thing on an non-wide TN, and it doesn't appear there). Does it mean my display is defective or something? Should I (try to) return it? Or is it normal/standard for these displays? Please test it yourself and report whether you can see it or not (on your 2209WA and other models).

TIA!

ok, guys I know this is not a very practical thing to do (hitting F5 continuously on an empty Windows XP desktop), BUT:

- another LCD I've tested (TN 17'' non-wide) doesn't exihibit it (on another system, admittedly)
- an old CRT also didn't show it (again, on another Win install)

please check if you have this issue yourself with this monitor and WinXP (even if you thing it's pointless thing to do), so I can narrow down things to monitor, or something else.

ok, guys I know this is not a very practical thing to do (hitting F5 continuously on an empty Windows XP desktop), BUT:

- another LCD I've tested (TN 17'' non-wide) doesn't exihibit it (on another system, admittedly)
- an old CRT also didn't show it (again, on another Win install)

please check if you have this issue yourself with this monitor and WinXP (even if you thing it's pointless thing to do), so I can narrow down things to monitor, or something else.
First try this: Compare refresh rate with and without desktop icons. You will realize that refresh rate without desktop icons is much higher.
Second: I guess that you have pretty powerful PC, so your refresh rate is probably very high.
Third: Effect you can see is a result of combination of your refresh rate, your video card, your video cable and connected monitor. No other one has the same combination, so the possibility to see the same effect is pretty low.
BTW: How is your monitor connected? Via D-SUB, or DVI? Try the other cable and check the result.
PS: It doesn't make sense to test other monitors on different PCs. You must connect these monitors to your PC.

Got my 2209WA and its beautiful cant see any bad pixels, colors look great, played Far Cry2 just fine and HL2 Lost Coast looks amazing not to mention 1080p vids.

I first hooked it up with my Win7057 booted and installed the driver from the disc first thing, then changed settings to mostly what I've read here and used the built in calibrator in Win7.

Games looked great but videos looked a hair pixelated especially some 720p .mkv vids and text looked a hair fuzzy/blurry too, then I restarted and booted into a seperate harddrive with Vista64 (sp1) and it looks great with out calibrating (monitor settings are still the same) so I'm not going to install the driver this time, text isn't perfect but better than on my Win7 os.

In the day the brightness of the monitor isn't so bad but now that it's night and theres no extra light coming in this monitor is really bright even at only 10 and contrast at 70 guess I'll have to adjust it each day or something.

Just came from a 19"w Samsung Syncmaster 940mw lcdtv and I'll miss the tv/pip options.I'm at page 34 I've thumbed through the whole thread quickly already once.

I've had a hand full of montors and other than a 17"Apple (clear/shinny) lcd I have never had anything but matte, never could figure out the whole shinny purpose (maybe if its a super dark room all the time).

Would be nice to get to a 80 hertz refresh rate. Tried clear type off but it didn't look good.

Glad theres sites like this to get hands on info.Put a 1,2and 3 next to dell in the address for more pics.

Heres a pic of my 2209wa : https://home.comcast.net/~ptown57/dell.JPG

First post, but I wanted to write and say that I have had a pretty bad experience with the Dell 2209WA. I am on my third monitor now and ALL of them have the darkening on the right side to some degree. Monitor 3 displayed the least amount of right side darkening.

Monitor 1 had right side darkening; monitor 2 had right side darkening, dead pixels, and a particle embedded in the upper right corner; monitor 3 had right side darkening, back light bleed along the top, and something behind the screen that was blocking light (about 6 pixels) in the lower right. I'm trying to decide if I should even go for monitor 4 or just keep monitor 1 which is the least defective of the three. Big hassle, but Dell's customer support has been great and I receive a replacement monitor about 2 business days after I inform them of the problem. In fact, they have sent the replacements so fast, I still have all three monitors here at my house!

First post, but I wanted to write and say that I have had a pretty bad experience with the Dell 2209WA. I am on my third monitor now and ALL of them have the darkening on the right side to some degree. Monitor 3 displayed the least amount of right side darkening.

Monitor 1 had right side darkening; monitor 2 had right side darkening, dead pixels, and a particle embedded in the upper right corner; monitor 3 had right side darkening, back light bleed along the top, and something behind the screen that was blocking light (about 6 pixels) in the lower right. I'm trying to decide if I should even go for monitor 4 or just keep monitor 1 which is the least defective of the three. Big hassle, but Dell's customer support has been great and I receive a replacement monitor about 2 business days after I inform them of the problem. In fact, they have sent the replacements so fast, I still have all three monitors here at my house!

My opinion is to keep the first one if you think it does not bother you too much. As I understand it you keep getting monitors from the same batch and all will have that problem. Later on you may RMA it and get a newly manufactured date monitor which *maybe* does not have that problem. Mine was manufactured January 2009 and did not notice anything like you describe (look at the photo).

Back