Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

For those having trouble getting Vista to correctly load ICC color management profiles, turns out it's the video card driver that's resetting the LUT tables to linear. Nvidia is pretty easy to fix with a registry edit:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak
Change DisableApplyColorsAtStartup from 0 to 1

My solution with my Intel video card drivers was just to use LUTManager (as suggested earlier in this thread) and Startup Delayer to delay the LUTManager startup entry. Without Startup Delayer, it's a tossup to whether I get my ICC profile applied correctly...most of the times, i can see it getting applied and then reset by the Intel drivers. LUT Manager works great with a multi-monitor setup in which each monitor has its own profile.

If anyone is using a similarly simple solution using lightweight, freeware programs, please post it too.

I have noticed a variance in my panels, and to test I have used identical settings in either panel, and the reset to default and dell supplied color profile, and also changed DVI slots in different video cards to confirm

One panel has a yellow hue to whites, on the right hand side of the screen, gets yellower towards the screen edge.

Its noticeable if I span a white background across monitors, eg

http://www.nytimes.com/

Not that I would span a newspaper across 2 monitors, but I prefer the cooler white of the other panel which is consistent across the whole panel. I'll check the other screens out too

tested all 4 panels now, and I think its just a panel characteristic as all of the panels can appear more yellow on a white on the right hand side, one of them I have to really try hard to look for it, one is more apparent and the other 2 are slight

*I edited the prior post after testing all panels

These LCDs are so much better than I am used to; the more affected panel I'll just put on the right and run the sidebar there.

That'll work :)

Well, I've received mine. As it's my first LCD ever, I was hoping to get you guys' assessment on how it stacks up.

Mine shows the darkening on the right hand edge as well (photo here), and it's fairly pronounced. It's noticeable but subtle when just looking at the screen, and borderline distracting if I'm moving anything (like a window) toward the side while tracking it with my eyes.

Do any of them not have this problem? With the photo's contrast boosted, it looks like all the backlight lamps come in from the left, which might explain the insufficient backlighting on the right. (There also seems to be some color gradation, but I don't notice it in person.)

What might you predict are the chances I'd get one with a more uniform right-hand edge if I exchanged? What are the chances I'd get one with worse color shifting or other defects? :eek:

Mine seems to have a little bit of backlight bleeding (photo here, very high exposure) but I don't see it in normal use in an illuminated room. More noticeable is that the backlight shows through if I'm not looking at it dead straight on...actually, it's best at a slight angle below straight on. :( Any angle from above or to the right is the worst direction, giving blacks a silvery appearance (photo here). Is this normal for non-polarized IPS monitors, or is mine worse than expectations in this regard?

Sparkle is present but not bad enough to interfere with viewing subtle image details, at least not significantly. Sure, I'd prefer the absolute smoothness of a glossy surfaced screen, but this isn't too objectionable to me.

Can anyone explain what Offset and Gain do in the service menu? Changing those values didn't seem to affect the image at all.

So I mean, there may be non-zero, non-50 sharpness value that is the default for the 2209 possibly...

Well, for reference, the Lagom sharpness test only appears uniform at 50 sharpness for me. 0 sharpness looks about the same as my CRT. :eek:

I'm trusting that test as far as balancing sharpness goes, so it's probably my eyes fooling me when it looks almost oversharpened at that setting, being so used to a CRT.

Hi guys im new here.

Would you guys mind letting me know what the default Gain and Offset values are in the service menu? i changed mine but cant see a button to reset them. I want to put these back to normal without resetting everything else

You can get to the service menu by turning the screen on while holding menu and the brightness button. then pressing brightness button once its on to get the service menu.

Not sure where to post this, Just wanted to mention that in the HOT DEALS forum, the DELL Mini deal where people are stacking 400 off with 25% off coupons. The 24" and 20" monitors have rather crap resolutions (2007W or 2009W). Hopefully someone can read this and post/mention it in that thread (dont meet the 50 post limit).

OT:

IE8 nukes sidebar in vista x64, have to uninstall ie8 through windows update

not even compatible with their own operating systems, whats the point or releasing the beta then?

Well, I've received mine. As it's my first LCD ever, I was hoping to get you guys' assessment on how it stacks up.

Mine shows the darkening on the right hand edge as well (photo here), and it's fairly pronounced. It's noticeable but subtle when just looking at the screen, and borderline distracting if I'm moving anything (like a window) toward the side while tracking it with my eyes.

Yours looks defective. Might want to get dell to swap it.

What is the carton size (Shipment Dimension)? I am unable to find this information on Dell's pages.

This monitor is around $225 with free shipping using this code:

LP$6290H2MKBDF

Expires March 19th

Box dimensions: L x W x D = 23.5 x 17 x 8.75 inches
Definately won't fit in the mail slot :D

So after 1 week of use; I am a happy shopper. I picked up 2. My first monitor had one fussy green pixel. But after 20 min using JScreen Fix. The pixel has been fine since. So I dodged a bullet. There wasn't any backlight bleeding. My second screen had no dead pixels. It did have a very little backlight bleed on the top right. I do see the a little white shift when comparing the right and left side on one of the monitors, but my background is black so it is no big deal. On the other monitor it's looks even. Given these two very minor faults its not enough to warrant/risk an exchange.

These 2209WA will be used in conjunction with a Gateway FPD2185W. The Gateway is still going strong. Comparing the two, the 2209WA is brighter and the text is more defined (i.e. one can make out pixels of letters).

Can't seem to let go of the Gateway because of all the inputs but than again I paid 3 times as much for it back in the day.

So for the sale price, these were a great addition for me.

What does the lack of 1:1 scaling mean for a gamer? I'm an LCD noob.

It means that if your gaming device cannot output 1680x1050 resolution then it will be stretched and interpolated to fill the screen.

2 examples:

1) You have an old game like Starcraft which cannot run in 1680x1050. The 648x480 output will be stretched to 1680x1050 and slightly distorted to fill the wide aspect. You can control the wide vs 4:3 aspect from the display menu though. A monitor that has 1:1 scaling would render the 640x480 picture using only the middle 640x480 pixels of the display. The result would be a sharper picture (in theory) and some pretty big black bars. Obviously things will be a little different if your game is 1024x768 or something. Some people prefer the smaller screen but 1:1 pixel reproduction as opposed to a slightly less sharp output but stretched to fill the screen.

2) If you connect a PS3 to the display it will render in 1920x1080 (1080p) output, and downsampled to 1680x1050. The aspect ratio of 1080p is 16:9 but 1680x1050 is 16:10. This slight difference will result in a slight stretching of the picture to fill the dimensions. A monitor with 1:1 scaling would have black bars to preserve the aspect ratio. (Or would it? What does 1:1 scaling do if the input has more pixels than the screen?)

I heard that the xbox 360 can be configured to output in 1680x1050 natively, so there should be no issue there. I don't have a 360 though so I cannot confirm.

ruahrc

Do any of them not have this problem? With the photo's contrast boosted, it looks like all the backlight lamps come in from the left, which might explain the insufficient backlighting on the right. (There also seems to be some color gradation, but I don't notice it in person.)

What might you predict are the chances I'd get one with a more uniform right-hand edge if I exchanged? What are the chances I'd get one with worse color shifting or other defects? :eek:

Mine seems to have a little bit of backlight bleeding (photo here, very high exposure) but I don't see it in normal use in an illuminated room. More noticeable is that the backlight shows through if I'm not looking at it dead straight on...actually, it's best at a slight angle below straight on. :( Any angle from above or to the right is the worst direction, giving blacks a silvery appearance (photo here). Is this normal for non-polarized IPS monitors, or is mine worse than expectations in this regard?

Sparkle is present but not bad enough to interfere with viewing subtle image details, at least not significantly. Sure, I'd prefer the absolute smoothness of a glossy surfaced screen, but this isn't too objectionable to me.

Can anyone explain what Offset and Gain do in the service menu? Changing those values didn't seem to affect the image at all.

Well, for reference, the Lagom sharpness test only appears uniform at 50 sharpness for me. 0 sharpness looks about the same as my CRT. :eek:

I'm trusting that test as far as balancing sharpness goes, so it's probably my eyes fooling me when it looks almost oversharpened at that setting, being so used to a CRT.

The off-angle silvery/shimmer to the blacks is normal for a non A-TW polarized IPS screen. In fact, it is now standard as A-TW polarized IPS panels will no longer be produced with newer model panels. Where IPS differs from MVA and TN panels (and to a lesser extent PVA) is that the other panels show these types of effect across all colors to a greater extent (including darks).

Make sure if you ever play with gain and offset values you record them first.

Offset sets a zero level or cut off point for a specific color. You raise it so that a higher value of a color is output at what is considered zero, or lower it to reduce the output of a color at zero. If an offset of blue (hypothetically) is set to 5, that means that 5 blue is considered zero by the electronics.

Gain affects higher values of a color to raise them by some percent. If your light grays are too pinkish, you lower the red gain.

Hope that helps.

Yours seems to suffer from a fair bit of backlight bleed. I think all I have is what you show on the bottom, but on the left side, and none of the rest.

This monitor is around $225 with free shipping using this code:

LP$6290H2MKBDF

Expires March 19th

Yea I saw this deal on slickdeals last week and finally jumped on it today. Can't wait to get my hands on this monitor. Heard so much positive stuff I couldn't resist.

With so many of these already purchased, if I order one now, is it more likely than if I had done it earlier that I'll receive a monitor that was returned by somebody else because it was less than perfect?

With so many of these already purchased, if I order one now, is it more likely than if I had done it earlier that I'll receive a monitor that was returned by somebody else because it was less than perfect?

No, you are paying for a NEW one, if you receive any less than that, call them up and be like WTF!

It means that if your gaming device cannot output 1680x1050 resolution then it will be stretched and interpolated to fill the screen.

2 examples:

1) You have an old game like Starcraft which cannot run in 1680x1050. The 648x480 output will be stretched to 1680x1050 and slightly distorted to fill the wide aspect. You can control the wide vs 4:3 aspect from the display menu though. A monitor that has 1:1 scaling would render the 640x480 picture using only the middle 640x480 pixels of the display. The result would be a sharper picture (in theory) and some pretty big black bars. Obviously things will be a little different if your game is 1024x768 or something. Some people prefer the smaller screen but 1:1 pixel reproduction as opposed to a slightly less sharp output but stretched to fill the screen.

2) If you connect a PS3 to the display it will render in 1920x1080 (1080p) output, and downsampled to 1680x1050. The aspect ratio of 1080p is 16:9 but 1680x1050 is 16:10. This slight difference will result in a slight stretching of the picture to fill the dimensions. A monitor with 1:1 scaling would have black bars to preserve the aspect ratio. (Or would it? What does 1:1 scaling do if the input has more pixels than the screen?)

I heard that the xbox 360 can be configured to output in 1680x1050 natively, so there should be no issue there. I don't have a 360 though so I cannot confirm.

ruahrc

Can these problems be solved using Nvidia scaling in the Nvidia control panel, or no luck?

No, you are paying for a NEW one, if you receive any less than that, call them up and be like WTF!

I'm just concerned because I'm not familiar with Dell's business practices, but I know of companies that repackage returned products and sell as new. So since I see a lot of people have bought it and returned their purchases for a replacement when they have problems with their new monitors, are many of what's left at Dell the poorer quality monitors, even though they're pretty much "new"?

What does the lack of 1:1 scaling mean for a gamer? I'm an LCD noob.

In this day and age, it's not a problem because scaling is done by the GPU, which better anyway.

As for the X360, it supports 1680 x 1050 via VGA and HDMI/DVI (VESA). So all games will be scaled to that res by the GPU (but there aspect ratio will remain 16:9)

In this day and age, it's not a problem because scaling is done by the GPU, which better anyway.

As for the X360, it supports 1680 x 1050 via VGA and HDMI/DVI (VESA). So all games will be scaled to that res by the GPU (but there aspect ratio will remain 16:9)

Yeah it works at 1680x1050 perfectly for 360 over VGA and HDMI/DVI. It puts the black bars in to make the image 16:9 on a 16:10 screen so there is no stretching, which is nice.

Box dimensions: L x W x D = 23.5 x 17 x 8.75 inches
Definately won't fit in the mail slot :D
Thank you very much, it really help me. May ask you more? Did you have inside the box beside these cables: USB, Blue VGA, White DVI - the power cable too?

Here's a photo.

Excluding the monitor and power cable, of course.

Dell website lists everything important. So they didn't mention the 2 foam pieces, the wrapping for the stand, the wraping for the monitor or the screen cover. Oh and if you're a small guy, the weight (w/ packaging) is 21.7lbs. Monitor (panel only - for VESA mount) weights 12.19lbs; care of Dell website.

And to the person who asked a number of pages back: both my monitors came with the VGA cable plugged in. I'm guessing Dell did this to allow for "easier" setup for the those less technically inclined. Also the setup guide/paper has a picture of the VGA cable attached already to the monitor.

Hope that helps.

Can anyone detect any noise on the blacks when using DVI? You can see it better by slightly increasing the brightness/black level on CCC / nVIDIA's control center.

And to the person who asked a number of pages back: both my monitors came with the VGA cable plugged in. I'm guessing Dell did this to allow for "easier" setup for the those less technically inclined.
Hope that helps.

Actually, it is done to reduce set-up time in the business environment. But if the user wishes to use DVI, it'll will actually increase it.

Just received mine a couple of days ago (192 x 2+tax+free ship). Great monitor for the price overall. Too bad they don't show the same color under the same setting, which i guess is normal for lcds. One question though, I noticed that there are pink tints on both lcds with each at different spots (one on the lower half of the screen and the other one is on small portion of the top right corner). The pink tints are especially noticeable when displaying white. Has anyone gotten one without any sign of pink tints? Should I bother exchange it? It bothers me a little.. but it is not impossible to get used to it..

Thanks

Actually, it is done to reduce set-up time in the business environment. But if the user wishes to use DVI, it'll will actually increase it.

QFT. I can't recall how much time I have expended in the past year alone opening those Dell monitor boxes and having to switch out the vga cable to screw in a DVI one for deployments. It is a PITA sometimes because those blue vga cables sometimes are difficult to unscrew so a screwdriver or even a coin is needed to unscrew them suckers.

VGA? Dell is not setting a good example there...

I am at a complete loss here even after checking the thread twice. I've tried out my own settings, even with an HDTV as a reference, but still am not comfortable with it. I tried loading an ICC profile from this thread but it did nothing that I can remember, but could someone explain to me what it is supposed to do? I have my settings all on default, both monitor and graphics card (which is nvidia). The only calibration software I have is Nvidia Control Panel, and since I don't have Sypder2 I cannot do any meaningful comparison with the majority of the posters in this thread.

When I look over at my Samsung HDTV with its default settings, the colors look more vivid, whites are white, and blacks are black, and its far easier to see a much higher range of colors through transparent objects. When I look at my Dell the colors look like they have a brown, rusty like hue to them, and blacks are closer towards grey while whites have a slight hint of tan. Yes, I know a comparison between an HDTV and any LCD is probably unfair, (especially since there is a backlight setting), but its the only way I have to judge what it lacks. If anyone could give me some guidance as to what I should do I would greatly appreciate it. I am a complete beginner in regards to monitors, calibration software, and photo-editing software, so its somewhat difficult for me to comprehend the meaning behind some of the numbers and terms thrown around in this thread.

I am at a complete loss here even after checking the thread twice. I've tried out my own settings, even with an HDTV as a reference, but still am not comfortable with it. I tried loading an ICC profile from this thread but it did nothing that I can remember, but could someone explain to me what it is supposed to do? I have my settings all on default, both monitor and graphics card (which is nvidia). The only calibration software I have is Nvidia Control Panel, and since I don't have Sypder2 I cannot do any meaningful comparison with the majority of the posters in this thread.

When I look over at my Samsung HDTV with its default settings, the colors look more vivid, whites are white, and blacks are black, and its far easier to see a much higher range of colors through transparent objects. When I look at my Dell the colors look like they have a brown, rusty like hue to them, and blacks are closer towards grey while whites have a slight hint of tan. Yes, I know a comparison between an HDTV and any LCD is probably unfair, (especially since there is a backlight setting), but its the only way I have to judge what it lacks. If anyone could give me some guidance as to what I should do I would greatly appreciate it. I am a complete beginner in regards to monitors, calibration software, and photo-editing software, so its somewhat difficult for me to comprehend the meaning behind some of the numbers and terms thrown around in this thread.

Don't compare a monitor to an HDTV because they are designed for different purposes/environments. Computer monitor is designed to display the source as it is. It simply receives the information from the GPU and mapps it onto the pixels. It is also known as a reference display.

HDTV on the other has a built-in video processor. It takes the source image and reconfigures it to produce deep, realistic image. In the HDTV environment, the video processor is the dominant factor (the panel is second).

PS: Yes, some monitors use FRC, dithering, LUT etc... but the displayed image is identical to the source (providing it's accurately calibrated)

Hi there,

Finally got both my monitors in..I have to say, I'm highly impressed.

One of the monitors - everything seems entirely dead on, color is gorgeous, no shifts or tints. The other has a slight yellow tint to the whole screen, maybe slightly worse to the right, but only noticeable because it's right, right next to the perfect one and most likely correctable with a bit of effort.

Neither monitor has any backlight bleed. Panel uniformity is excellent. Of course it ships ridiculously bright. Colors seem to have more pop than they did on my old standby, the Samsung 710T (first "gaming" IPS way back in the day, purchased for $512 many yeasr ago). Of course colors are infinitely better than they are on my Acer 22" TN. Gaming is fluid - at least on a par and probably better than the 710T.

Altogether, I'm quite happy with my purchases. The stands are some of the most solid stands I've ever seen on monitors. Unhooking the VGA cable took a screwdriver, but luckily I had one on hand.

Best of luck to all - I hope you wind up as happy as I did :).

Been playing around with my 2209WA for a couple days now. No dead pixels, very slight darkening on the far right, but overall quite happy. Used one of the ICC files & adjustments suggested on this forum and the picture is a bit more accurate now.

Still, I can't help but compare it to my LG L226WT. The Dell is definitely richer in color and has wider viewing angle consistency. However, the Cleartype fonts on Windows is smoother on the LG. Also, photos seems to have a smoother look on the LG. Dare I say it, I would almost think the LG TN panel monitor had a better picture for everyday use.

It might be due to the antiglare coating. I can notice a very fine grainy pattern on the Dell 2299WA where I don't notice anything but clear screen on the LG. The LG isn't a gloss screen though.

The monitors are on two different computers. I wonder if that can make a difference.
Both use DVI.

i know that some people here had a lot more time to mess with the settings and maybe have some calibration devices.

what are the best ideal settings?

I've got a very slight yellow cast on the right side, but seems like most of them have. I'm just gonna enjoy the monitor rather than nit pick over it.

Got to admit the menu system is brilliant far better than the hp i've got.

I had reason to go look at the dell page for this monitor, here, and as of today (3/22) it is $369.99, up from the $214 people were paying earlier this month. Wow, so much for the e in e-IPS standing for "economical".

Edit: /smacks self on forehead for looking at the Canadian price instead of the US price. Disregard this.

Ouch... Curious if people are still able to get this for the $200+ something price or not now...
Didn't it start off at $299? Surprised it jumped upto $369.99...unless they changed the panel to something even better? Though... that's hardly believable...

I had reason to go look at the dell page for this monitor, here, and as of today (3/22) it is $369.99, up from the $214 people were paying earlier this month. Wow, so much for the e in e-IPS standing for "economical".

That's the Canadian Dell webpage for the 2209WA.

Here's the correct page:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-7825

It's available for $239, after $40 instant savings. Msrp is now $279, which is still a decent price for what you get.

Btw, the e in e-IPS stands for efficient.

Back