Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

I am stepping up from a Viewsonic VX-922 that I picked up a while ago since it began having issues during boots and actually turning on.

Wow, exactly the same as me! In fact I here the old VX922's all have this problem after a while. I'd be very interested on how you compare the 2209WA with the Viewsonic. The Viewsonic has 2ms response time and 2ms input lag, which is a lot quicker than the Dell. But I'd also like to know how you compare the text crispness.

Just got my replacement 2209WA in the mail today (was having color temperature uniformity issues).

All I have to say is, does Dell have ANY Quality Control whatsoever? Here's a picture of my new screen, the film is literally separating from the screen:

my.php

This is the EXACT same issue mine had, same spot exactly. My exchange sadly has some uniformity issues where the first one didnt, but oh well, that front polarizer tear is horrible. Weird its happened to more than just me.

Wow, exactly the same as me! In fact I here the old VX922's all have this problem after a while. I'd be very interested on how you compare the 2209WA with the Viewsonic. The Viewsonic has 2ms response time and 2ms input lag, which is a lot quicker than the Dell. But I'd also like to know how you compare the text crispness.

I am going to RMA the Viewsonic since I have about 2 months left on the manufactures warranty. Hopefully I will be able to compare them side by side in a few weeks. What you say about the VX922 is very true. There is so much stuff online about it and most of the time it happens around the 2-2.5 year mark. Prior to that I never had issues with the monitor. One evening it refused to boot after I started my PC, so I turned everything off. As time went by it got worse and worse, and in the end it ended up to you needing to hit the monitor really really hard to get it to work (Sadly this was actually posted as a solution by other people that are having issues with this monitor, people might say you are retarded for doing that but it is very strange that if you smack the monitor on its back casing it turns on 8/10 cases). I also heard a lot of people having issues with Viewsonic actually fixing this monitor and not realizing that if half of the owners are having issues after 2-2.5 years, something is definitely wrong.

Hopefully this Dell monitor is a good replacement and I don't get screwed by Viewsonic.

Low input lag as you mentioned is also a nice side bonus,
although I'm still a CRT purist when it comes to twitch gaming.
The lack of proper scaling/aspect options might deter
others from using this as a gaming panel, although I believe
the 360 now supports 1680x1050 as a native resolution via VGA.

I'm just praying they'll send me a proper replacement w/out
the panel issues I've been seeing on LG panels. But if you
want IPS, you don't have much of a choice.

Yes, I am using it for 360 over VGA and it does do 1680x1050 perfectly on the screen. I will assume the same holds true for HDMI to DVI, but I can't test it as my other 360 (with HDMI) is being shipped back to Microsoft.

The PS3 works as well, but the monitor stretches it vertically to 16:10 from 16:9.

Nice, thanks for this.

Do you reckon those black levels are pretty good for movie watching?

I had a mini review up earlier that discussed black levels at different contrast and brightness settings and the lowest I (remember) was 0.15 cdm/2 which is just above my Dell 2709W. This is a good result. The 2709W is the best black level of any monitor I've used at 0.12 cdm/2 at 0 brightness, so yes I would say the black level on the 2209WA is conducive for a good movie watching experience.

I will be updating the mini review with more observations and reposting this weekend or early next week. Stupid me didn't save it and the DB crash deleted it.

Thanks for all the great info here. I got in on this great deal for the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA, too.

I’ve now got my new 2209WA monitor setup, and overall it is a great product - beautiful colors. I am using the DVI input. However, the right side of my screen seems slightly darker than the left side, which is rather disconcerting.

I am on Mac OS 10.4.11 (Tiger) with my PPC G5 thru DVI, native resolution 1680 x 1050.

Is there any setting to fix this problem with the screen brightness on the 2209WA being uneven from left to right, or is there any way to compensate?

Oh - and one more problem with my screen...

All text looks slightly jagged or blocky, even with Font Smoothing turned on to "Medium - Best for Flat Panel" or even "Strong".

Is there any setting on the 2209WA to reduce the jagged or blocky text? I have turned down contrast and brightness, and I tried different Sharpness settings...

This issue could be a deal breaker for me...

Does anyone know any fixes or solutions?
Thank you!

Please, I need help. I have just identified a dead pixel in a border of my screen. I would want to ask you if in this monitor dead pixels can be seen when monitor is power on but there is no signal.

Thank you very much.

kaskuli said:
Is that $200 deal still available for this thing?
i believe the deal still goin on. however, u have to get hold off the right people in dell who can give you the deal.

Please, I need help. I have just identified a dead pixel in a border of my screen. I would want to ask you if in this monitor dead pixels can be seen when monitor is power on but there is no signal.

Thank you very much.

Yes, a dead pixel will be visible regardless of what, if any, signal it's displaying. If you want to be absolutely sure, there's a way to get the monitor to display solid diagnostic colors when nothing's plugged into it -- I think you hold two of the physical buttons, but I'm not sure which. It's in the user's manual included with the monitor if you want to use this do do a thorough examination. I'd recommend, if the pixel is indeed dead, to try tapping it out. Several users here seem to have been able to get rid of stuck/dead pixels on this display by lightly tapping them out. I used the blunt end of a sharpie with a microfiber cloth between it and the display to lightly tap three dead pixels out of one of my 2209WAs. It won't always work, and this is actually the first monitor it's worked on for me, but it's always worth a shot.

Just got mine today, geez that was fast, I must live near their warehouse. Ordered it at 6PM on the 25th, got it 7AM on the 27th.

I got a couple of questions:

I set my screen to 99/98/100 0 brightness 74 contrast, and I've been doin some tests with my two monitors in clone mode
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_black.htm
I done that test, I can tell the different between every black square on the dell, and I can tell the difference starting from the 4th on my sony does that mean the dell can tell the difference between more darker shades? Because I was watching videos and I noticed my sony was darker on the hole image (slightly) but also I couldn't tell the difference between some blacks on the screen compared to my dell where I could, anyway when a true completely black color came on the screen, I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

oh and the reply box on this forum is kind of slightlyyyy pinkish white, where on my sony it's like a bitt yellowish white (err really hard to tell) but when I raise the brightness on the dell it's clearly all white, so I dunno lol

and I can really see the difference between my glossy, the anti glare coating (sparkly shiny stars of doom) is pretty annoying when you work with 2D colors and stuff, but after a while I got use to it.

I was going to take pictures to show you guys, but that was failing due to crappy camera lol

anyway the response time on it is much better then my sony, as with the banding test on lagom

also with the viewing angle test:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

on my sony I could see half of it as greenish, other half as reddish viewing straight on, on the dell the thing never changes colors

I haven't seen anything wrong with it yet seriously, I haven't checked for dead pixels but I don't think there are any, I'd see that right off the bat lol

overall this is the best monitor I've had yet, definitely better then a TN. I might take some pictures later if I find a good setting on my camera.

edit//

Oh yeah, when I adjust the brightness from 100 to 0 it BARELY changes, I can tell the difference but on my other monitor if i lower it by 10 it gets like way darker, just wondering if this is normal

Guys, thanks for all the sharings here. Finally, got my 2209WA, its a beauty. So far, haven't found any dead pixels. Knock on wood.

I tested the colors out and compared a HD wallpaper of a green forest floor picture that contain green leaves among others. The picture that appears on my laptop monitor is more natural (more green) as compared to the picture on the 2209WA, which shows more yellow tone to said leaves.

I wan to fix the color using the following guide, but I am lost at: "go to "device" then click "Add"

for installing a profile (ICC/ICM) on your windows setup, try following this --> link
use the icc file you downloaded here and it should get you going

Quick guide for XP:
1. download WinColorSetup.exe from Microsoft or somewhere else if you like
2. install and run
3. go to "device" then click "Add"
4. browse for the icc/icm file then click OK
5. choose that icm/icc profile then click "set as default" then click OK

you should see a color different right away

Where do I go to after step 2 to get "device"

Am ansxious to correct this color difference and start enjoy this grand LCD.

TIA.

Hello everybody. I've been following the thread for awhile as I've purchased this monitor. A few quick observations because I've got to get back to work in 5 minutes :(

My panel has a darker area along the length of the right side (running vertical). It irks me a bit, but I only have a day or 2 to decide about an exchange. There are no pixel problems, so I might just keep it.

I must confirm tonight, but I think that the driver cd included with the monitor contains an ICC file that fixes the gamma problem, so it appears as though Dell has provided "out of the box" color accuracy with this fix.

Overall I like the monitor and I bought it mainly for the viewing angles. I'm a standard user looking for something better than TN, so I'm not as demanding as a color pro. I'm fairly satisfied with the monitor.

Congratulation, Soundtech, on your purchase.

I am too very happy of my purchase.

I must confirm tonight, but I think that the driver cd included with the monitor contains an ICC file that fixes the gamma problem, so it appears as though Dell has provided "out of the box" color accuracy with this fix..

How did you go about applying the ICC file found in the CD?

nanotechy, there is a readme file on the cd that contains installation instructions. I've gone through it again and as far as I can tell, Dell's driver doesn't affect gamma. The color profile filename is 2209WA.ICM and on my Win Vista system it was installed to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color. There were already other files in that folder before I installed the Dell driver. Some files are ICC files, but others are .ICM, .camp, .gmmp and .cdmp files. I've noticed that the DisplayProfile program mentioned earlier in the thread will indicate with an asterisk which files contain gamma information and the only one I have that contains gamma info is 10e's ICC file. All other color files that DisplayProfile found that were already on my system apparently don't have gamma info. Having said that, when I select 10e's file with DisplayProfile I see the difference on screen right away. I don't know how to revert back to the old gamma settings other than rebooting. Obviously that means I can't get 10e's color (gamma) profile to stick right now. Windows Vista apparently provides for selection of a system default profile so I'll try setting his file to default and see what happens. So, my next goal is to get windows to set the gamma without the need for a program.

My god, it's now nighttime and this monitor is like a spotlight on my desk at 0 brightness, I really need to put this back further but theres no room on my desk, is this thing wall mountable?

I found one stuck pixel on bottom right, on red its pure black, on other colors it kinda blends in, (first dead pixel out of 7 monitors lol) Anyway to fix it or anything? if not I really don't care because it's in a convenient enough place to not be noticed.

Question for 10e, since I'm using his settings, or anybody else, does raising the contrast slider in nvidias control panel make the SRGB inaccurate or anything, because when I do that the blacks and everything is as dark as my old monitor, in most of my games they look kinda washed out and such on normal, but I can see more black detail in things I think. when i use that slider to go to about 65 the colors get better, but the black detail gets worse in deeper ends of black I think :S

edit// Just read the top post, so in 10e's profile theres a gamma setting, maybe that will make my colors more deeper, I tried installing it on the default instructions with dell CD but that didn't work, I'll try that displayprofile thing

edit2// just applied it, SLIGHTYYY changed the gammer to darker, looks a bit better now but still kinda too light for me
anyway to remove it?
and should I just do my own gamma setting with nvidia display wizard? Isn't it different for everyone cause of different room lightings or something, really want to up the contrast, but I also want to make sure I have the right SRGB, because I want to make sure what I see is what the final product will be like (I work with movies)

edit3// Oh, I had been noticing the screen whitish at sides when viewed straight on black image, is this normal for this monitor? when I view it straight on black I see bottom right and left big white blobs of fading white, I had thought it was lights in the bg at first but now I know it's the monitor.. It doesn't really mess up image quality or colors or anything from what I can tell, just makes it a bit whiter if its all black

btw, sorry for the thousand questions :p

edit// 6? lmao..

well when I move my chair back to where I'm 2 arm lengths away from the black screen, all the uniformity issues of white goes away about, looks pretty even then

EDIT 7 LOL

With my contrast raised from 50 to 65 in nvidia control panel I lose all white boxes from 250 - 254, with it set at default 50 I can see 250 - 253 http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php
as with the black test I can distinguish all at 50 contrast, at 65 I can only see from 3rd and onward
but I sweaarrr it's too bright right now, things look dull and not contrasted (game characters, etc, look like they have a sheet of white on them) Hmm... lol

Anyone know why they don't have this monitor in their home office section? It seems like any IPS monitor is automatically considered a business monitor, but this one is so cheap I don't understand why they only have it in business section.

Anyone know why they don't have this monitor in their home office section? It seems like any IPS monitor is automatically considered a business monitor, but this one is so cheap I don't understand why they only have it in business section.

According to a prior post in this thread, these monitors were originally intended to be bundled with a business desktop, but it didn't work out, so they're selling them standalone and have excess, hence the discount price.

I believe the post mentioned it was hearsay, though, so take the explanation with a grain of salt.

It's also important to know that you need to say it's for business when trying to order.

Got mine yesterday and am loving it.
such an upgrade over my macbook pro's 15" screen. Viewing angles are excellent, no dead pixels and no backlight issues.
I'm not an expert on displays, but I know what I likes and I like this more than the 2405 I used at my old job. Everything is sharp and colors look excellent, my mbp's screen looks so washed out in comparison.
The build quality and design make it look so pro too.

nanotechy, there is a readme file on the cd that contains installation instructions. I've gone through it again and as far as I can tell, Dell's driver doesn't affect gamma. The color profile filename is 2209WA.ICM and on my Win Vista system it was installed to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color. There were already other files in that folder before I installed the Dell driver. Some files are ICC files, but others are .ICM, .camp, .gmmp and .cdmp files. I've noticed that the DisplayProfile program mentioned earlier in the thread will indicate with an asterisk which files contain gamma information and the only one I have that contains gamma info is 10e's ICC file. All other color files that DisplayProfile found that were already on my system apparently don't have gamma info. Having said that, when I select 10e's file with DisplayProfile I see the difference on screen right away. I don't know how to revert back to the old gamma settings other than rebooting. Obviously that means I can't get 10e's color (gamma) profile to stick right now. Windows Vista apparently provides for selection of a system default profile so I'll try setting his file to default and see what happens. So, my next goal is to get windows to set the gamma without the need for a program.

So, I wasn't able to get Win Vista to load the gamma info with Microsoft's built-in color management controls. I didn't want to keep using DisplayProfile every time I started up my system. I went with UltraCow's suggestion of using XCalib along with a Task Scheduler event with user log on as the trigger. Works like a charm. If you decided to keep Vista's UAC active then you'll have to check the box that says "Run with highest privileges" when you create the xcalib task or you'll get hassled at logon every time.

With 10e's profile I'm getting a gamma of about 2.3 at 48%, 2.25 at 25% and 2.2 at 10% according to the lagom gamma calibration chart. Without the color profile I was seeing 1.9 at 48% so it was a big improvement.

I think I'll live with the slight darkening on the right edge of my panel — it's not that bad. I love the stand. I haven't tried rotating the display vertically, but it's capable. The simple, clean design is great. The somewhat deep bezel doesn't bother me. I guess this is true of all fluorescent backlit panels, but it needs some time to warm up. Overall I'm satisfied.

I did some response time tests in clone mode versus my 9 year old CRT a few weeks ago. I have to find that dang camera cable so I can check the results!

soundtech

According to a prior post in this thread, these monitors were originally intended to be bundled with a business desktop, but it didn't work out, so they're selling them standalone and have excess, hence the discount price.

I believe the post mentioned it was hearsay, though, so take the explanation with a grain of salt.

Yeah - I wouldn't believe that. Mine was shipped direct ex China, at current exchange rates and including our local tax, list price of NZ$499 is well below US list of US$299.
The chinese website reviewing these suggested the idea that these panels were put out to use up excess inventory of parts for H-IPS panels in HP monitors, with further "evidence" that the 2209WA panel isn't listed on LG's site. Still just a rumour, but the sub-pixel layout for e-IPS and h-IPS look identical - perhaps there's something to it.

Oh yeah, when I adjust the brightness from 100 to 0 it BARELY changes, I can tell the difference but on my other monitor if i lower it by 10 it gets like way darker, just wondering if this is normal

Well, with a colorimeter, the difference in brightness that I get is about 100cd/m2 at 0, and about 270 at 100.
The brightness setting in this monitor adjusts backlight only.
An oft suggested ideal target white luminance is about 120cd/m2, which I get at about 15 brightness setting.
CCFL's will lose a little brightness over time, so I'd suggest that as long as brightness at 0 setting on a new monitor isn't significantly over 120, then all is fine and good.

With 10e's profile I'm getting a gamma of about 2.3 at 48%, 2.25 at 25% and 2.2 at 10% according to the lagom gamma calibration chart. Without the color profile I was seeing 1.9 at 48% so it was a big improvement.

soundtech

Oh, I had just found out how to do this test properly, I tried it with 10e's profile and got similar to yours 2.2 - 10%, 2.2 - 25%, then like 2.4 - 48% (man the first 4 were really hard to see, especially the blue)

at the 2.4 it looked like they had just started to blend it, (are they suppose to start there, or be there around the middle?)

anyway I also tried crazycaps profile with 10e's settings and I got 2.2 - 10%, 2.2 - 25%, 2.2 - 48%.
from what my eyes seen, and gosh that blue one on the first 4 has got me seriously questioning my eyes because it's really hard to tell the difference between any part of it. I was standing about 8 feet away btw.

Anyway, these profiles don't work the same for everyone right? I think their suppose to be different per computer or graphic card or something.

Hi all from Downunder

I have purchased a couple of the 2209WA monitors, while I do have an issue with the grey shadow on the RHS of the monitors and one monitor is slightly more magenta (when showing white) than the other, the main thing I cannot get over is the amount of heat these babies give out, both from the screen and from the vents behind. Its just like sitting in front of a fire. Does anyone else notice this? In fact one of them (with the "magenta white" is so hot that I am going to return it). Is there a reason that these 2209WA monitors run hot? My previous monitors were Acer 1916W, they worked well, hardly any heat. I have just ordered a new split air conditioner for my room as it (the room) has become much hotter since getting these monitors:cool:

The other question I have is a lot of you put your brightness down to zero, do you adjust this on the monitor or by your graphics card software? There is no way I can use these monitors with the brightness at zero. Am I missing something here or are my eyes telling me something (I do wear glasses).

Anyway that's it 4now I look forward to your replies.

All the best
can any one advice please.

I have no idea about the grey shadow, or magenta problem ( I don't have any of those, though I do have white uniformity issues, is that the gray shadow your seeing? ) but my monitor runs pretty cool, cooler then my last one did, the screen isn't hot when I touch it, but the back vents I can feel pretty warm heat coming out of it, but it isn't bothering me as my last one was actually hotter lol and yeah were setting the brightness on the monitor to 0, heck at night it's still pretty bright for me at 0, it does look better with more bright, things look a bit more contrasted or something but I'm probably fine with it because I always had the backlight on my last monitor turned completely off too, (the brightness only adjusts the backlight) and backlight is usually meant for helping you see durring the daytime I think, but at night you really don't need it

maybe your heat problem is cause the brightness is turned up, I have no idea.

Thanks itachi183

I have my monitor at brightness 62 and my nvidia control panel at 15% brightness which keeps my white ....white not grey. However I am unable to change the RGB separately, how do you guys do this?

Thanks itachi183

I have my monitor at brightness 62 and my nvidia control panel at 15% brightness which keeps my white ....white not grey. However I am unable to change the RGB separately, how do you guys do this?

Go into the monitors menu, under color settings go to preset modes, select custom (RGB)

I'm running the display on a macbook pro and leopard. In addition to the difference in brightness left to right, causing a certain hue on the right, the main issue I'm seeing is jagged text. I've tried the profiles posted here and I've put down brightness/contrast from the defaults to very low brightness (11) and contrast 60, but text still looks pretty bad. I've also tried the different settings under Appearance to no avail.

Any ideas what's going on, or am I just spoiled with text from my Lenovo L220x and previous cinema displays?

Am I missing something here? How can a monitor that can't even display sharp text be considered a good buy? I planned on buying this monitor to replace my older UltraSharp Dell, but I'm starting to get very doubtful after the recent post on "jagged text". Is this a problem due to the resolution not being enough for the size? What is the problem.

Thanks for any insight on this. Sounds like a fine monitor, just shocked that it can't display sharp text with a name like "UltraSharp"...

I'm running the display on a macbook pro and leopard. In addition to the difference in brightness left to right, causing a certain hue on the right, the main issue I'm seeing is jagged text. I've tried the profiles posted here and I've put down brightness/contrast from the defaults to very low brightness (11) and contrast 60, but text still looks pretty bad. I've also tried the different settings under Appearance to no avail.

Any ideas what's going on, or am I just spoiled with text from my Lenovo L220x and previous cinema displays?
Stupid question, but you have you configured the sharpness setting in the on screen display?

Stupid question, but you have you configured the sharpness setting in the on screen display?

Not a stupid question at all - I forgot to mention that I did put sharpness to 40. Anything above that seemed to cause strange artefacts around the text that got worse the higher I went....

thanks

Am I missing something here? How can a monitor that can't even display sharp text be considered a good buy? I planned on buying this monitor to replace my older UltraSharp Dell, but I'm starting to get very doubtful after the recent post on "jagged text". Is this a problem due to the resolution not being enough for the size? What is the problem.

Thanks for any insight on this. Sounds like a fine monitor, just shocked that it can't display sharp text with a name like "UltraSharp"...

I'm not sure yet if the jagged edges have something to do with my settings or using a mac. I'm going to go boot off my windows partition to see if that makes things better. It could also be that I'm used to the Lenovo L220x that has a very high resolution for its size (1900X1200 on a 22" display), but even my Macbook pro displays better text.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on my anecdotal issue...I need to investigate further.

If there is excessive heat and the monitor's not defective, the heat is due to the backlight being turned up, directly related to the brightness level. If you turn the brightness down, it should put out less heat.

I'm not sure yet if the jagged edges have something to do with my settings or using a mac. I'm going to go boot off my windows partition to see if that makes things better. It could also be that I'm used to the Lenovo L220x that has a very high resolution for its size (1900X1200 on a 22" display), but even my Macbook pro displays better text.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on my anecdotal issue...I need to investigate further.

The L220X has that weird S-PVA pixel structure which makes the text blend into the background more. It means that text is never very sharp which for some is a good thing, but can cause artifacts with Cleartype or other font smoothing algorithms.

IT168.com has a nice little page showing all the different types here:

http://translate.google.ca/translat...lt&prev=/search?q=it168.com+2209WA&hl=en&sa=G

Translated of course.

The L220X has that weird S-PVA pixel structure which makes the text blend into the background more. It means that text is never very sharp which for some is a good thing, but can cause artifacts with Cleartype or other font smoothing algorithms.

IT168.com has a nice little page showing all the different types here:

http://translate.google.ca/translat...lt&prev=/search?q=it168.com+2209WA&hl=en&sa=G

Translated of course.

Thanks for that. I think you're right, but when I put the 2209wa next to my L220x I find that text on the Dell looks both jagged and not sharper than the lenovo. I guess it is sharper in the sense that I can see the jaggedness of the fonts, but the overall impression is, to me, not very nice. I also compared it to my Macbook pro (which has a pretty mediocre TN display) and found that the MBP had smoother and more pleasing font rendering than the Dell.

As I said, it probably is more about what I've become accustomed to than any problem with the display, but I also wonder if there is anything I can do to improve the way text looks....

I must assert here that 10e's profile sorted out all the gamma issues with my monitor.

Along with me, a couple of guys here in India, bought this for $380 inclusive of all .
Very high considering the prices at which you guys are getting. Hence I would like to know what's the current pricing in other countries.

Just to give you the picture, the Dell 2408WFP is available for $700 or more and we don't get a lot of choices.

Picked up two for $445 shipped; I don't know how to fit these in with my FW900s, but we'll see how they fare against the best CRT (flame war start here: IMHO, the best desktop monitor in IQ :evil:), to see if I can finally retire them to storage.

Along with me, a couple of guys here in India, bought this for $380 inclusive of all .
Very high considering the prices at which you guys are getting. Hence I would like to know what's the current pricing in other countries.

Just to give you the picture, the Dell 2408WFP is available for $700 or more and we don't get a lot of choices.
I spoke to a Dell dealer today. Expected retail price in Croatia is around $500.

The 2408 is around $900.

I'm finding the same with anti aliased fonts. With Windows 7, fonts seem quite blurry/fuzzy and faint compared to what i'm used to. Tried the cleartype tuner but can't get fonts to look right.
Also tried with an OSX panther machine and the fonts look worse than windows.

Dont know if this is to do with the 1680x1050 resolution on a large screen. Was looking at a different 22inch screen today with 1920x1080 resolution and the fonts looked better to me. Any opinions on the L220x?

Back