Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Call them up. They will send you a replacement and you put the bad one in the box and send it back. They pay to ship both ways. If you are within the 21 day return period you should get a new replacement. Otherwise it is refurbished.

I got lucky, I got a brand new 2209WA when I did my exchange. The broken monitor was 1 year old :D

RIP 2209WA. You were great. Thank goodness I snagged one up last month.

I don't think manufacturers will make 16:10 monitors anymore. It's just cheaper to make 16:9 and ordinary people don't notice the difference. I wish people made more 4:3 eIPS :(

2209WA discontinued already? wow that was a short life, I am now thinking of buying a 2nd even tho this one still works fine because I cannot see a replacement model been as good.

why would they discontinue a clearly popular model?

2209WA discontinued already? wow that was a short life, I am now thinking of buying a 2nd even tho this one still works fine because I cannot see a replacement model been as good.

why would they discontinue a clearly popular model?

Because 16:10 is dead, and it's hard to sell an old 22-inch UltraSharp that's more expensive than one that they introduced this year, the U2211H.

16:10 been dead very lame and its only dead because they decided to stop producing, there is clear demand for it.

I see the U2211H is no direct replacement, it has a poorer response time and a higher native res (harder to read text, smaller pixel size).

2209WA specs:

Panel Size:
22"
Aspect Ratio
Widescreen
Panel Type:
e-IPS - In Plane Switching
Optimal Resolution:
1680 X 1050 at 60 Hz
Contrast Ratio:
Dynamic Contrast Ratio 3000:1 (typical)
Brightness:
300 cd/m2 (typical)
Response Time:
6 ms (typical)
Viewing Angle
178° / 178° (typical)
Color Support:
16.7 million colors
Pixel Pitch:
0.282 mm
Display Type
Thin film transistor (TFT) active matrix liquid crystal display (LCD)
Device Type
Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

U2211H specs:

Display
Panel Size:
54.61cm (21.5”)
Aspect Ratio
Widescreen (16:9)
Panel Type:
IPS ( In-Plane Switching )
Optimal Resolution:
1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz
Contrast Ratio:
1000 to 1 (typical), 10,000:1 (dynamic)
Brightness:
250 cd/m2 (typical)
Response Time:
8ms (gray to gray)
Viewing Angle
(178° vertical / 178° horizontal)
Color Gamut:
82%3 (100% sRGB coverage)
Color Depth:
16.7 million colors
Pixel Pitch:
0.247 mm
Display Type
Flat Panel Display

Last edited:
16:10 been dead very lame and its only dead because they decided to stop producing, there is clear demand for it.

I see the U2211H is no direct replacement, it has a poorer response time and a higher native res (harder to read text, smaller pixel size).

"Clear demand" from a few gamers who want 16:10 is not enough demand. Thanks to consoles, games are now optimized for 16:9. I don't think that's a bad thing.
What specs are monitors sold with? Resolution, contrast ratio, color gamut, viewing angle, and now, refresh rate. Maybe dot pitch. If anything, they could spin the "smaller pixel size" as a plus.

The U2211H is not a direct replacement, it's a product in the 22" category of the "Ultrasharp" line. Having two 22" models is a bad idea for sales purposes.

A monitor capable of 76 Hz is not going to be able to compete with a 120Hz gaming monitor. Games are the only content with framerates greater than 60Hz.

"Clear demand" from a few gamers who want 16:10 is not enough demand. Thanks to consoles, games are now optimized for 16:9. I don't think that's a bad thing.
What specs are monitors sold with? Resolution, contrast ratio, color gamut, viewing angle, and now, refresh rate. Maybe dot pitch. If anything, they could spin the "smaller pixel size" as a plus.

The U2211H is not a direct replacement, it's a product in the 22" category of the "Ultrasharp" line. Having two 22" models is a bad idea for sales purposes.

A monitor capable of 76 Hz is not going to be able to compete with a 120Hz gaming monitor. Games are the only content with framerates greater than 60Hz.

ok so please tell me what monitors do dell produce that have the following?

22/23"
1680x1050 native res
e-ips/ips
same response time as 2209wa

if none then I dont see whats pointless about keeping both screens, the replacement model is a different spec and there is people who want 16:10 as well as the lower native res.

16:10 is already a bit too wide for normal pc use, I have to move my head to see each side of the screen, 16:9 makes that worse. In addition monitors are primarily for pc's not consoles. but even if used for a console a 16:10 monitor can handle 16:9. my xbox 360 supports 1680x1050 anyway.

what is really sad is that I told you the dell replacement model is a different spec and you brushed that off still claiming the 2209wa would have been a weaker clone.

lg, acer, viewsonic all have multiple monitors in each size, to me only having one 22" monitor on the market seems very odd.

i guys i have this monitor too :D

1 problem: playing games i think it's color are too "opaque"?

it seems colors aren't brillant when i play a game, i dont' know if it's just a my bad idea or w/e... i have a gtx260

this is a pic taken from CoD:

my model number is 2209WAf

do i have to set some particular setting to have more brillant color? ( contrast/luminosty ? )

Does anyone have a silent 2209WA? Mine starts literally screaming when the screen is full of dark and white (like a text document)

I guess I should make a call to dell then. It's annoying. Especially when you cold start the monitor it goes berserk for a while.

I just changed to a Radeon 5870. Colours using my 8800GT were fine, but now there seems to be a slight red/pink tint to white surfaces.
Using the ICC profile posted here a while ago (R99,G98.B100), with DisplayProfile software.
Brightness at 8-10, contrast at 74. Any clue why this tint should suddenly appear?

the only annoyance I am having with this monitor really is my power cable comes out too easy and the monitor will then lose power (not healthy for it). The cable goes in upwards so against gravity.

any ideas to improve this problem?

seems a bad design flaw.

Does anyone have a silent 2209WA? Mine starts literally screaming when the screen is full of dark and white (like a text document)

Squealing power circuitry ... sounds like an RMA to me, since it happens during normal usage.

the only annoyance I am having with this monitor really is my power cable comes out too easy and the monitor will then lose power (not healthy for it). The cable goes in upwards so against gravity.

any ideas to improve this problem?

seems a bad design flaw.

Try a different power cord if you can. The 2 that I have are not like that at all. It fits in snug.

Just out of curiousity, what would be the market for two used 2209WAs? They are A00 from a while back. I've used them daily for about 2 years and they are dead silent, have no discoloration or shifting and cosmetically are perfect. I have all packaging, plastic, paperwork and every cable for each.

I've been looking at larger monitors and what's held me back is that these are dead nuts reliable and I don't want to get a pittance for some great LCDs.

I too am interested in a single larger panel, but won't upgrade if I can't get a decent price out of these.
I'd sell mine at $180 /ea, and I've got a co-worker who might be interested in 2 of them. I think $180 is optimistic and $150 is more realistic.

It'd be a tough sell on craigslist at $150 imo, too many cheap bastards. I put up an Acer 24" for $200 about 2 years ago before 24" panels had dropped significantly in price and the only offer I got was an insult: $100 plus "a couple of dvds"

I've decided to give them to a coworker for her to use at work. She works on a tiny little 19" 4:3 1280x1024 LCD to enter work orders and run reports; so she'd benefit a lot from the upgrade.

nearly every uk retailer still has them, dont have to buy direct from dell. I am defentily buying a 2nd in jan as its clear there is no replacement for this monitor, I waited years for a good lcd and then it went EOL fast.

Is worth to buy ZR30w? Now I have 2209WA but I would like to have bigger monitor. Can anyone tell is picture in ZR30w better than in 2209WA?

anyone know where the different input lag measurements are coming from?

my theory
a00 = <1 frame
a01 = 1,5 frames
a02 = 2,5 frames

I had a 2209WA and now I have a U3011 and I never want to use the 2209WA ever again by itself. The U3011 is 50x better. (2560x1600)

I'm fairly certain that was a response to post 3024, Jay.

:D

Feeling the urge to upgrade from the 2209WA but I find no 120hz panels appealing enough yet.

@ aljosakav - The resolution, factory calibration, the scaling of resolution, for mine at least, the AG coating, the brightness.

it's just more appeasing to look at. And I'm near sighted and thought I'd need glasses, but nope !

None of this things don't bother me. Main thing are text, pictures, videos ... looks more sharp and natural in the U3011? I have optimal calibrated 2209WA but I would really like to see screen of U3011.

I hate to bump the thread again -- but does anyone know where these can be purchased for a reasonable amount? Dell has quit making/selling them as far as I can tell and that seems to leave eBay as the only option if I don't want to pay $500 for one from Amazon.

I might just go with the U2211h or U2311h instead, but I'm trying hard to make sure I end up with something I'll be happy with and the lower resolution on these seems to be a sticking point for a lot of folks.

Anyone know of a way to get 76hz mode working right on the active minidisplayport to vga adapters? the best I can get is 1440x1050 @76hz, and windows says it's outputting 1680x1050.

A post from this thread:

That adapter looks like it should work as it is active. It is only Single link DVI though so it will not support 76Hz at 1680 x 1050 because of bandwidth limitations.

Single link DVI supports a maximum of 1,920 × 1,200 @ 60 Hz which is equivalent to about 1680 x 1050 at 73Hz. To run the monitors at 76Hz at that resolution you need a dual link adapter.

Sounds like you're using a single-link adapter.

I have connected my 2209WA to my graphic card with single-link DVI. Is worth to buy dual-link DVI cable? Will be quality of the picture better or not?

I have connected my 2209WA to my graphic card with single-link DVI. Is worth to buy dual-link DVI cable? Will be quality of the picture better or not?

No. You will not notice a difference. It just allows for higher resolutions.

As for higher refresh rates. Does the dell 2209wa even support dual link?

dowant120hz said:
anyone know where the different input lag measurements are coming from?
Inaccurate testing methods. Several people have shown the monitor has no lag other than the pixel response times.

dowant120hz said:
my theory
a00 = <1 frame
a01 = 1,5 frames
a02 = 2,5 frames
Stop making shit up.

daveswantek said:
I have a01 and that figure looks right to me. I think they are all the same at 1.5 frames.
Stop making shit up.

That adapter looks like it should work as it is active. It is only Single link DVI though so it will not support 76Hz at 1680 x 1050 because of bandwidth limitations.

Single link DVI supports a maximum of 1,920 × 1,200 @ 60 Hz which is equivalent to about 1680 x 1050 at 73Hz. To run the monitors at 76Hz at that resolution you need a dual link adapter.
That guy is making shit up. Single-link DVI has no trouble with 1680x1050 at 76 Hz and can handle 1680x1050 at up to 82 Hz with the CVT-RB timing standard, and even higher with non-standard timing parameters. The 2209WA doesn't even support dual-link DVI anyway.

That is the most inaccurate test out of them all, and shame on PRAD for not fixing it. They've misled people away from one of the most responsive IPS monitors ever made.

Every time someone uses that flatpanels.dk timer and gets a multiple of 10 ms, the results are completely wrong because the timer is updating erratically. Lag can't vary from 10-40 ms like that. That should have made it immediately obvious that something was wrong, yet people still believe it blindly anyway.

On top of that, there are other issues like only testing one part of the screen, so you can't see where each monitor is refreshing, and using clone mode, which isn't guaranteed to be synchronized. There are still ways to test accurately using clone mode but not when the other problems exist.

Other tests have shown there is no significant lag:

Here I used a vsynced timer in three parts of the screen with DVI and VGA splitters:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034028590&postcount=1263

This one uses Virtual Stopwatch, which updates more consistently than Flash-based timers:
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6010637&postcount=66

This one tests a larger part of the screen:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/computer-monitors/977623-dell-2209wa-e-ips-monitor-review.html <- You can see the latest number coming in on the LCD in every picture

There are some problems with the last two tests due to clone mode, but since the timers are not updating erratically, the margin of error is less than one frame.

Back