Just Ordered My Westinghouse L2410NM!!

The problem is definitely heat and the HDMI connector on the monitor. That corner gets very hot, even hot enough that a fan blowing from behind wont address it.

Most definitely. After getting the GTX260 and finding out I had to hack the EDID in the registry to make the stupid card realize it is a monitor and not a TV (and therefore reducing the color gamut from 0-255 on RGB to 15-235 [or something] ) I took the easy way out and plugged in the D-SUB.

Ding! No more blackouts. And my eyes can't tell the difference in the things I'm doing, so I'm leaving it at that.

Doesn't help those of you doing the Xbox/TV thing though, or who absolutely have to have a Digital-digital connection for whatever reason.

BB

hi guys, i've had my panel for over a year now and i've had this problem occur pretty recently. i get distorted picture colors whenever using dsub or hdmi. sometimes if i press the top of the monitor together, i get the normal colors back. but then if i release it goes back to blurry fuzzy noise looking picture. sometimes if i have the monitor on long enough, the color will go back to normal or vise versa. i have not found a solution for this and it is driving me nuts. i feel like my panel isn't damaged because i do get normal pictures every now and then but it is random and makes watching movies or playing games really annoying. any help would be much appreciated. i am using a 8800gt but i dont think it matters because i plugged it into my laptop and it gave me the same distorted colors.

I'm curious, with all these issues, is this monitor worth getting over a Samsung 245bw for gaming?

I would listen to the others experiences here and not RMA it over the bad hdcp issue. You'll likely get someone else's garbage in return.

That's what I'm afraid of, but for the past day or two I can't even use my monitor (constant signal drop every few seconds, or 100% signal drop too). I'm on VGA right now as it's the only thing I can get working.

I reverted to vga and lived with that for many months just fine. I would say mine wasn't blurry at all, so maybe try a different vga cable or video card just to see where the problem lies. I just need the hdmi to satisfy my OCD :)

It's not blurry per se, it's just not even close to as sharp. It's as if there's a thin film on my screen, or my eyes are slightly outta focus. I have very good vision (20/20 or better) and I can see the individual pixels normally. With VGA, the blacks really blur into the whites, etc.

[H]adouken;1033543413 said:
I'm curious, with all these issues, is this monitor worth getting over a Samsung 245bw for gaming?

I wouldn't recommend this monitor to anyone anymore. Don't cheap out when it comes to such an investment.

[H]adouken;1033545857 said:
Which monitor were you referring to, the Westinghouse or the Samsung?

The Westinghouse. I've had nothing but trouble with the HDMI port on mine. Don't take the risk it could happen to you.

The Westy has potential, but is marred with quality issues. I had mine for five months and it died. I returned it to best buy and because I was fortunate enough to get their product service plan, I received money back because they exceeded the 60 day "return to user" repair period. Basically if it's not repaired in 60 days, they return my money, so I was only out the cost of the extended warranty ($40.00). Lucky me :rolleyes:

At the time it was an amazing deal for $360.00 Canadian, when other 24" *VA panel monitors were easily over $500.00

This was five minutes after deciding (at that time) that this would be the monitor for me for a good while. Too bad. It worked flawlessly for me with consoles, PC, Xbox 360 over VGA et al.

I broke it by snapping the back cover on when I reinstalled the stand. Just the last clip going into place caused it to stop showing anything on the screen except backlit black. Too bad, as mine was one of the few that didn't cook the HDMI connector from excessive heat. I guess the slight jolt broke something inside. I was also lucky that it didn't have issues with any of my video cards over DVI > HDMI (3870,3870x2, 8800GTS 640 and 512MB).

Anyway, for hardcore FPS gaming, the Westy's 2+ frame (38ms) average input lag is a bit much IMHO. For console gaming it is good. By contrast, the 245BW and 2493HM only have about 8ms or .5 frame input lag. Even accounting for the nicer looking S-MVA panel in the Westy, I'd go for the other monitor in your list. It has a 3 year warranty, and backed by better service.

Westinghouse does not manufacture these screens. They are made by CMO in China and Westinghouse can't seemingly figure out how to even get RMA procedures right from what I've read here.

Good luck.

[H]adouken;1033545857 said:
Which monitor were you referring to, the Westinghouse or the Samsung?

Thanks 10e! The post was very helpful. I've found a brand new 245bw for $320 and free shipping, since I'm not that much into colors and viewing angles, I will test it out and hope all goes well :)!

Did they do the late production switch to TN panels that most of the manufacturers did that used the SVA panel that was originally in here

Ok so anyone know how to override the edid in win7? I tried a few things and even edited the nv_disp.inf in the driver store file repository but it doesn't work. :( I even tried to do this which didn't work either but I am probably making my inf wrong. Damn westinghouse to damnnation in damnington for not releasing a stupid inf for this thing.

They never switched away from the CMO S-MVA panel that was there originally.

Did they do the late production switch to TN panels that most of the manufacturers did that used the SVA panel that was originally in here

Ok so anyone know how to override the edid in win7? I tried a few things and even edited the nv_disp.inf in the driver store file repository but it doesn't work. :( I even tried to do this which didn't work either but I am probably making my inf wrong. Damn westinghouse to damnnation in damnington for not releasing a stupid inf for this thing.

For those of you that want to run windows 7 with this monitor and edid is buggin out here is a fix i found:

Run Regedit & Navigate to:

HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video

Open the folder & check each folder (eg. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{E0CC2030-CCD8-49B9-8267-83140EF868CB} )

Check each sub folder called "0000" until you come across one which expands and includes the following:

>Display
>settings
>Uninstall
>Volatilesettings

Once you've located this, right click the "0000" folder and select "New" followed by "Binary Value".

Rename the value to:

OverrideEdidFlags0

and hit enter or okay

Next up, you need to right click the new key and select "Modify Binary Data" from the list.

Enter in this info below:
5c,85,80,51,00,00,ff,ff,04,00,00,00,7e,01,00

Click okay once your done, close Regedit & reboot.

I dont think its a heat problem, could be made worse by heat I suppose but Westinghouse had a slew of HDCP handshake issues across their product line. Just bad engineering IMO. I had the monitor hooked up via Component and those cables got hot too but I never had 1 problem. Too bad the component implemantation results in an ugly, grainy picture.
I get a problem about once a week but when it acts up it does it multiple times which can be annoying. You can literally see the HDCP issue evolving it hiccups with a black screen fighting to keep the handshake and then when it really goes south it goes to snow. Which is what HDCP is supposed to do when it cant authenticate a handshake.
I have a HDMI DVD player hooked up to the monitor and it has a button to change resolution 1080p/720p/480p. Presumably it sends a new handshake when you change the button because when I press it, every single time no matter what the picture immediately comes back when I press the button. Again its not heat its handshake.
Also for the guy saying high price Belkin AV cables will fix it thats crap. The cheapo Monoprice HDMI cables are rated at 80c just like the Belkin HDMI cable so dont waste your money.
So basically everyone who owns one has to decide if they can live with this or not because its not going away. Personally I can accept it as it happens fairly infrequently.(though more than I like)

For those of you that want to run windows 7 with this monitor and edid is buggin out here is a fix i found:

Run Regedit & Navigate to:

HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video

Open the folder & check each folder (eg. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{E0CC2030-CCD8-49B9-8267-83140EF868CB} )

Check each sub folder called "0000" until you come across one which expands and includes the following:

>Display
>settings
>Uninstall
>Volatilesettings

Once you've located this, right click the "0000" folder and select "New" followed by "Binary Value".

Rename the value to:

OverrideEdidFlags0

and hit enter or okay

Next up, you need to right click the new key and select "Modify Binary Data" from the list.

Enter in this info below:
5c,85,80,51,00,00,ff,ff,04,00,00,00,7e,01,00

Click okay once your done, close Regedit & reboot.

What does this do again, my computer seems to use my l2410nm fine... letters are clear and such.. 60mhz.. 1920 x 1200 ...

What does this do again, my computer seems to use my l2410nm fine... letters are clear and such.. 60mhz.. 1920 x 1200 ...

Well for me it fixed a problem with 9600GT's and this L2410nm. I tried 3 different 9600GT's (2 MSI and 1 Palit) and without the fix the monitor/card seems to handle EDID info incorrectly the moment the nvidia driver gets installed. I get dull colors and jagged text (on both HDMI and DVI->HDMI). The weird thing is that my 6800 and 7900gs worked fine with this monior. The 7900gs was tryed in the same computer as the 9600gt. The issue I believe is in that the card treats the display like a HDTV and its impossible to stop it without this fix. The nvidia control panel option for HDTV had no effect.

With the 7900gs the monitor used to blank out and look like it was off for a few second, same thing everyone is describing here. Sometimes it would be frequent other times it would take days to happen. Now I haven't had my monitor blank out in months though. Perhaps the EEPROM in this monitor is going bad in different ways for different people so the card isn't getting the correct stats it needs to output to the display? At first I did get blanking with the fix I use but it did seem to happen less and less over time and finally now it never happens anymore.

My westy has been working great for a year now. Also no problems with Windows 7. I guess I am lucky.

My westy has been working great for a year now. Also no problems with Windows 7. I guess I am lucky.

no I think you are normal everyone who is having issues is just unlucky. I have no issues as well; except the 9600gt thing but moving it to the second dvi port fixed that for me.

Anyone find a good way to cool this thing. I just bought a monitor arm so now the screen is a bit closer to my face and after 4 hours of L4D I think It was starting to cook my face.

I would never buy a monitor from an air conditioner manufacturer.

they sell lots of stuff now.

eh, I'm having a good time with my monitor too bad theres 1 dead pixel =/ i think its a green one (so it shows red).

Hope i dont get taht hot hdmi problem or whatever you guys had with teh flicker black...

I'm using monoprice wires though and its going well.

wish the moniot would go black in sleep rather then blue though =/

If you have severe blackouts/drop to snow that last many seconds you might want to invest in a Monoprice 2 way HDMI switch($15). It does something to the way the Westinghouse LCD handles HDCP. Unfortunately it doesnt fix the problem but I was getting dropouts to black that would last 3+ seconds. With occassional drop to snow that would require me to change the resolution on my DVD player or turnthe monitor off if I was playing Ps3. With the switch the frequency of drops is the same but it drops to a blue screen not a black screen and the drop is much quicker as in less than second. So it improves things.
Its not perfect but it makes the problem more liveable.

Just thought I would post this. I have a Nvidia 8800GTS on XP and I FINALLY got my monitor to 1920x1200.

I did the EDID .inf hack and then forced my refresh rate to 50hz. 60hz would give me "out of range". I'm not sure if you need to do the EDID hack with the method below...

You can do this through the Nvidia Control panel by:
1. Enabling Advanced Settings
2. Manage Custom Resolutions
3. Hit Create...
4. Set the GDI Refresh rate to 50hz.
5. Hit Test

I don't know why 50hz works and 60 doesn't. I know my GM45 laptop will only recognize this as 62hz and that definitely doesn't work.

Just a comment on Westinghouse. I have 3 Westinghouse displays, 2 1080p Monitors (TVs) and one computer monitor. My 47" is excellent one of the best displays I've seen. The 42" and this monitor have some issue (the buzz drives me nuts). I guess the bottom line is when you go cheap, sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't. The 42" monitor is three years old and is starting to act flaky. The 47" is 2.5 and is rock solid. This thing was flaky right out of the box. :)

I just purchased this monitor at TigetDirect for $200.
I am looking forward to using it as a computer monitor through VGA, and a PlayStation 3 display through HDMI.

I have gathered this information from reading this thread and other web pages:
There may be an issue with blacks.
The controls are bad.
It is not a "cheap" TN panel.
There is no DVI port.

Is there any real issue?

I am looking forward to using it as a computer monitor through VGA, and a PlayStation 3 display through HDMI.

The controls are bad.
There is no DVI port.

Is there any real issue?

If you are lucky like me you will have no problems. Some people have many issues though.

The controls are bad.
There is no DVI port.

Is there any real issue?

I'm also thinking of purchasing the westinghouse from Tigerdirect. I was wondering what their dead pixel policy is and also hows the image quality over VGA as opposed to HDMI? Thanks

Talk about lucking out...I'd been planning for a month or so to get my wife a new cheap monitor to replace her old 19" 1280x1024 (5:4 aspect) Hanns-g model - 150°/135° viewing angles (no, really).

By Friday of last week, I'd narrowed it down to a Asus VH222H (21.5", 1920x1080, 170°/160°, 300 nits, HDMI for $169.99 shipped) or an Acer X233Hbid (23", 1920x1080, 160°/160°, 300 nits, HDMI for $199.99 shipped) - but kept dragging my feet for some reason.

Then today I stumbled across TigerDirect's $199 Westinghouse 24" L2410NM deal. Man, the inputs on this thing - in addition to VGA and HDMI (HDCP compliant) it's got S-Video and Component?!? Yeah, the $21 shipping was annoying, but...wow. And I went to the manufacturer's website and it explicitly says "MVA panel" on it. BTW - they've also got it for $179 as a refurb, but for $20 difference why not get the full on boogie version?

I just wish I had enough posts to stick in the HotDeals forum; I still haven't seen it pop up over there. :D

--KS

I'm also thinking of purchasing the westinghouse from Tigerdirect. I was wondering what their dead pixel policy is and also hows the image quality over VGA as opposed to HDMI? Thanks

I bit on the TigerDirect deal (to be delivered 2/24). Unfortunately I only read the first 13 or so pages before buying, and today got to the end of the thread where everyone was having problems.

BUT, this has tigerdirect's 30-day IRON CLAD warrenty, which states:

Every product that displays the "30 DAY IRON CLAD GUARANTEE" icon online is backed by our promise that you'll be satisfied with the product or we'll take it back within 30 days.

It's that simple.

There's no need for excuses. If you buy any product with a "30 DAY IRON CLAD GUARANTEE" icon via our website or catalog and decide to return it, just contact our service center for an RMA number then return the complete, undamaged product in the original packaging for an exchange or a credit to your original form of payment.

Just one more way TigerDirect.com makes buying great technology hassle-free.

So you've got slightly less than 30 days (I assume it's from purchase) to make up your mind. I do not know if this means return shipping is the customer's responsibility.

Good luck.

- JustPyro

just got mine in the mail from tigerdirect....putting it through it's paces right now. No major issues / dead pixels out of the box though :)

Anyone else have issues with weird "waves" going through their picture. I started getting these "waves" (Don't know how else to explain them. They aren't lines as they're not visible other than the jitter like effect they send up and down the picture on my screen) before I left to go back to school and wasn't able to figure out what was wrong. Maybe I'll just take it to BB for service when I get home for summer?

I bit on the TigerDirect deal (to be delivered 2/24). Unfortunately I only read the first 13 or so pages before buying, and today got to the end of the thread where everyone was having problems.

BUT, this has tigerdirect's 30-day IRON CLAD warrenty, which states:

So you've got slightly less than 30 days (I assume it's from purchase) to make up your mind. I do not know if this means return shipping is the customer's responsibility.

Good luck.

- JustPyro
That's a relief then. I'm also receiving mine on the 24th. Can't wait. I'm upgrading from an aging samsung 17 incher.

Anyone else have issues with weird "waves" going through their picture. I started getting these "waves" (Don't know how else to explain them. They aren't lines as they're not visible other than the jitter like effect they send up and down the picture on my screen) before I left to go back to school and wasn't able to figure out what was wrong. Maybe I'll just take it to BB for service when I get home for summer?

I get those as well. They didn't start showing up until after I reformatted. A friend of mine had the same thing start showing up after he did a reformat as well at least 3 months prior to me. A shut down of Windows and power off of the monitor usually does the trick to fix them for me though.

can anyone post color calibrated settings that are working for them? I've been fiddling for the afternoon but I can't seem to get the green levels where I want them to be

My Westy showed up a couple of days ago, hooked it up last night. Comments:

1) The shipping was over $21 for this thing, and coincidentally was the cheesiest packaging ever - they just shipped it in the monitor's box like you'd see it "on the shelf" in a retail store. They didn't even tape the flap on the top shut. Made me think I might have gotten a refurb, but I'm pretty sure I didn't after examining the packing inside (if it is, they did a heck of a job imitating the factory packaging). I guess it was sufficient; there was no damage either to the external box or the monitor itself. But I expected it to be double packed for the money I spent to get it shipped to me. I'm very glad somebody in the shipping warehouse didn't notice the flap and pull an Indiana Jones on me (eg: take the monitor out, replace it with sand of equal weight)...

2) This is a nice looking monitor once it's set up - nicer than my 24" Soyo Topaz. They even did a good job on the power on light - the Westinghouse logo is lit up from an indirect white LED and is very understated (on my Soyo, I had to block the actinic blue light with the center speaker of my sound system). The bezel on the bottom is probably as thick as the Topaz, but instead of it being black plastic, it's clear plexiglas type material so it appears a lot thinner. Really, really nice looking monitor even when it's off.

3) Picture is be-yoo-ti-ful. No dead or stuck pixels that I could see, although admittedly I haven't fully put it through its paces yet. Bright, vibrant colors, good detail in the blacks. Needed a little adjustment - out of the box it tended to be a little green (plus they had the brightness at 100 and contrast at 50), but I was easily able to adjust for it with the controls.

4) The controls are, as usual, craptacular - they're on the right side of the screen behind the bezel, and tricky to use because of it; a funky "up/down, then hit right arrow to go into the menu item" kind of thing. And the same button that brings up the OSD changes video inputs if you don't hold it down long enough. When are they going to discover that Nanao got it right 15+ years ago with a single thumbwheel and several buttons for the different settings the thumbwheel adjusts? They could get away with a single button that cycles through all the settings and a thumbwheel to change them and it'd be cheaper than even the 5 buttons most monitors ship with...

5) No driver CD (I don't think - it might be "embedded" in the user's guide, but I didn't see it at first glance), no DVI-to-HDMI dongle, no HDMI cable. Cheesy VGA cable. It's $199 - I'm glad they even threw in the cable. BTW - cables on this thing (all of them - not just Power, VGA and HDMI, but also the audio, S-video and Component inputs) mount on the sides of the back monitor "bulge" as opposed to the underside of it. This is actually pretty cool; having schlepped my Soyo all over the place, it's a pain trying to plug in a DVI or Power cable from underneath by feel. It doesn't detract from the appearance of the monitor because the "bulge" is well "inward" of the sides of the monitor so the cables are hidden by the panel itself. They probably should have added a little plastic ring on the stand as a "cable gatherer", but that's no big thing. I'll look again for the dongle - I think somebody said theirs came with one - if it's not there, I'll go snag one; I've got plenty of DVI cables lying around.

All things considered, an awesome out-of-the-box experience, and given the admittedly limited playing around I did with it, I'm completely happy with my purchase. I'll follow-up a week or so from now when I have a chance to look for dead/stuck pixels, play a few games and watch a few movies on it. Side note: recommended this deal to a buddy of mine coming from an old 19" CRT monitor; he's ecstatic, but...well, this is his first LCD monitor - it's not like he's got anything to compare it to.

I got my monitor Monday. Everything looks great. The picture is awesome. I have no screen door effect on the monitor that I can see, nor dead pixels. Note that I don't go around looking for them as I'd rather not notice.

The color adjustment out of the box is fine, but not great. Nothing looks "wrong," just not as good as it could, and I haven't had the time to calibrate it yet.

Upon first setting up the box, I had no hum or buzz, but as I was playing around with brightness that night, "the buzz" showed up (Or made itself heard, as it was). Now I can only hear it distinctly if it's completely quiet in the room. If I have the window open (I live next to a freeway) I can't hear it. The room has to be quiet. But it's a high pitch, and it's almost as if I can feel it when I'm close to the monitor. High pitched sounds really bother me, and I'm still debating on if this is a deal-breaker.

I did try as some have said, and kept the monitor at 98 and turned down the nVidia control panel brightness, but that didn't get the monitor dim enough. This is a seriously bright monitor.

Overall, for $230 shipped, this is a great monitor. I personally prefer 16:10 over 16:9, and black bars don't bother me, so I don't specifically want a 1920x1080 monitor.
The picture is great, crisp. I wish it had height adjustment, but for $200 I can put a box under it. The bezel itself is very sharp looking. The OSD controls suck, but that's something I can work around easy enough.

In the back of my mind, there's also the concern that a lot of Westinghouse monitors come with reviews of them dying within 5-10 months. I know that bad news is most vocal on the web, but there are a lot of comments on short life span.

Uh oh...

I just got home and was transferring some files over. All of a sudden, the monitor went completely black - not "no signal black" because you can still see backlight bleed when that happens. This was "powered off black". I put my ear to the back of the monitor and could hear a very very faint irregular buzzing noise. I lightly tapped the back a few times and briefly the screen flashed back up and off again. Panic.

After about five minutes of hitting the buttons on the side (the video input cycle one mostly and powered on and off a few times), unplugging/replugging the VGA cable and the power cable, it finally came back.

Is this the "blackout" issue other people have been talking about? I've only had this thing a week now, and the screen's been on maybe a total of 3 hours at this point...

Just had the monitor for 2 days. So far, I'm really impressed. Keeping in mind that this monitor was 210 after CB, this was a steal of a deal. Picture quality is wayy better than the TN crap I was using before. I haven't even calibrated the thing yet. Only complaint is that it was WAY to bright out of the box. It actually gave me a headache. Like everyone else, I thought the controls suck ass. Coming from a 17'', i'm incredibly satisfied with this purchase. :)

With regards to the buzzing (it's almost a whine): I noticed that it seems to settle down. I've had the monitor at 40 for a bit, and just decided I wanted the monitor brighter. Now, I can still hear the buzz, but when I went to crank it up to 50, upon first touch of the brightness, the buzz became suddenly louder. I don't think I can take this buzz, and may have to return or sell the monitor. It's a shame really, because it looks absolutely great. =\

I just dropped the brightness down to 50 to see if heat would reduce, I like the 100 brightness but I don't like my face burning.

Back