Just Ordered My Westinghouse L2410NM!!

One quick question. Has anyone here been able to compare the image quality of this monitor by running a xbox 360 in VGA versus HDMI? I don't have an HDMI enabled xbox but Im curious to know how they compare and how the monitor handles these inputs.

I have tried both the VGA and the HDMI on my Xbox, in COD4 they look almost the same, I couldn't tell you which looks better, I will say that the picture looks a little grainy to me on both. There is a big issue with ACE Combat6 in that the small ground fires after you kill a tank look very pixalated.

I would also say that the images seem a little bit jagged, compared to the monitor this replaced. Of course I have almost no idea how to soften the picture on the HDMI side.

Yea, I think that has to due with the xbox upscaling the picture. It's especially noticeable at 1080p because I think many of the game engines only render at a lower resolution. So.... technically the game does support that resolution, through upscaling (easy to see in Halo 3)

Hmmm..

I seem to be getting input lag SPIKES. If that means anything.

I get the usual amount of input "lag" (I guess I don't notice it; runs extremely responsive to me), but occasionally while playing a game I'll get a spike of lag where it doesn't respond immediately to anything I do for maybe 2 seconds each spike. My old 17" didn't do this, so that's why I assume it's this monitor.

Did I get a defective monitor? Luckily I bought it at a local Best Buy so I can take it back with ease if so. I thought this was a flawless one (no dead pixels, no screendoor), but maybe not.

Appreciate the feedback.

Yea, I think that has to due with the xbox upscaling the picture. It's especially noticeable at 1080p because I think many of the game engines only render at a lower resolution. So.... technically the game does support that resolution, through upscaling (easy to see in Halo 3)

Well that appears to be correct, I set the HDMI port back to 720P and that seemed to clean up COD4, but AC6 still has the pixalated fire.

Hmmm..

I seem to be getting input lag SPIKES. If that means anything.

I get the usual amount of input "lag" (I guess I don't notice it; runs extremely responsive to me), but occasionally while playing a game I'll get a spike of lag where it doesn't respond immediately to anything I do for maybe 2 seconds each spike. My old 17" didn't do this, so that's why I assume it's this monitor.

Did I get a defective monitor? Luckily I bought it at a local Best Buy so I can take it back with ease if so. I thought this was a flawless one (no dead pixels, no screendoor), but maybe not.

Appreciate the feedback.

Mm...you went from a 17" [res?] to a 24" 1920X1200. How are your framerates doing? That sounds like the resolution's just too much for your system (at the given quality).

anyone have calibrated their Westinghouse L2410NM? plz post it
QuickGamma running for Gamma calibration. Brightness 40 for typical use, 70 for gaming. Contrast 80. I can't figure out if sharpness does anything, so 3. Red32, Green32, Blue38.

Well that appears to be correct, I set the HDMI port back to 720P and that seemed to clean up COD4, but AC6 still has the pixalated fire.

Have you looked at the pixellated fire on other monitors? It sounds like the AC6 art team used low-res sprites for the ground-tank explosions :(
I hate low-resolution sprites. :mad:

Mm...you went from a 17" [res?] to a 24" 1920X1200. How are your framerates doing? That sounds like the resolution's just too much for your system (at the given quality).
17" was 1280x1024. And no, it's not framerate-related at all. I can play a game (Need for Speed for example) and everything is running smooth during the whole time. However every couple minutes a get a weird spike where i can't do anything with my mouse and keyboard (mouse moves across the screen fine, but can't interact with the game). This happens for multiple games I play, it's odd. Nothing changed except the monitor.

Anyone know why the monitor goes blue screen even after I power it off? as soon as i power it off then turn it back on, it goes blue screen in HDMI. why?

17" was 1280x1024. And no, it's not framerate-related at all. I can play a game (Need for Speed for example) and everything is running smooth during the whole time. However every couple minutes a get a weird spike where i can't do anything with my mouse and keyboard (mouse moves across the screen fine, but can't interact with the game). This happens for multiple games I play, it's odd. Nothing changed except the monitor.
If the mouse moves across the screen during these lag spikes then I highly doubt it's the monitor. Does this still happen if you reduce the resolution? I know it won't look as good as native but do it as a test. Even if your average framerate is fine, your GS could be hiccuping with the increased memory demands when it has to load new textures. Consider decreasing AA to help alleviate this.

Anyone know why the monitor goes blue screen even after I power it off? as soon as i power it off then turn it back on, it goes blue screen in HDMI. why?

Hey I have the same problem..I can resolve it by replugging the cable but then I have to switch back the res because it goes back to 1024x768

It only happens with Vista for me..doesnt happen on XP.

I am using ATI Radeon 9800 with 7.1 catalyst (oldest driver on ATIs website for vista). I tried the latest 7.10 aswell..but did not fix anything.

What gfx card, os, and driver are you using?

Pulled the trigger on an L2410NM tonight from the brand new Best Buy that opened up here in Ottawa. Got it for a steal. :)

FWIW, I'm coming from a 21" Trinitron CRT.

Box stated 700:1. Manual stated 700:1. 1.1 Firmware.

Graphics card is a BFG 8800 GTX OC with Forceware 169.09 on WinXP 32-bit with no changes to gamma settings.

Currently hooked up: 8800 GTX --> DVI to VGA Converter --> VGA Cable (22 AWG 25') --> D-SUB Input.

HDMI to DVI cable on order. :)

A single stuck blue pixel just off from the centre of the screen, but I can live with that. Looks like I've got the screendoor effect in the top right quadrant as well. No squealing if I drop the Brightness or Contrast below 100 though.

Still working on calibrating the unit, but out-of-the-box, black crushing was definately apparent and the slight input lag has taken some getting used to (nothing that upping mouse sensitivity hasn't been able to assist with).

Just out of curiosity, anyone actually find a set of drivers for this thing? "Plug and Play" monitor seems rather... bland. :)

Hey I have the same problem..I can resolve it by replugging the cable but then I have to switch back the res because it goes back to 1024x768

It only happens with Vista for me..doesnt happen on XP.

I am using ATI Radeon 9800 with 7.1 catalyst (oldest driver on ATIs website for vista). I tried the latest 7.10 aswell..but did not fix anything.

What gfx card, os, and driver are you using?

I fixed this problem after a lot of research, I called the customer service, they have no clue why it does that. I then went to Bestbuy and asked the guy to try to put on their HDMI cable, I thought it was my cable problem, it worked fine for theirs, so I thought I had a defective LCD. So finally today, I gave it a last shot; gone ahead put in my new video card (8800GT), problem solved! now, I can power it off/on without showing that annoying blue screen.

My old card was a ATI X1650, I guess it's the video card not feeding back the signal once it loses it. My only suggestion for you is either try to get a higher end Nvidia video card or use the VGA cable. which I noticed there is a difference in text reading between the two, picture wise, I can't really tell to be honest with you.

I love this LCD btw, it is really clear and crispy. I got it from Bestbuy with 10% coupon. $351 after tax, which is a excellent deal consider the picture quality. I compared this and the 24" LG one, this one is obviously more bright and clear, the only one that came close to this one in terms of picture quality was the 24" Samsung one.

yea I think its a problem with ATI catalyst drivers aswell. Im glad you got it fixed after upgrading the gfx card. I can't use the VGA port because im using my Xbox 360 with VGA (component really sux)

I will probably grab a Geforce 7900 or something since thats the best I can get with AGP right now.

Just got one. Really nice LCD. except the fact that it came with 3 dead pixels. So gonna go exchange it for another one.

Any news on the sceendoor problem? Anyone have decent luck when sending it back for replacement? Are the replacements usually fixed now?

I just bought one of these monitors this week, and I started to notice the weird effect in the top right corner of the screen, just like nojoka and others. That led me to this thread.

Once you know it's there, it can be very annoying/distracting!

I received a replacement from Newegg, and sadly it still has the screen door effect. I spoke to Newegg customer service again, and they offered me a full refund; however, I would much rather have a working monitor since I love everything else about it.

I called Westinghouse, and they asked me to run a few tests and call them back (i.e. factory reset, power cycle) so I will call them later today. The fellow I spoke with said he had never heard of any problem like this, but perhaps someone higher up on the food chain will.

That's unfortunate. Other than this issue, this monitor is amazing for the price and I was really looking forward to it.

I hope I have some decent luck with the Best Buy returns department.

Thanks for the response.

I called Westinghouse back, and put in a request to speak with the supervisor to see if this is a bad batch or not. I'm supposed to get a call back within 24-48 hours, so I'll report back on what the verdict is.

Great, thanks! I'd appreciate hearing about what they say, so I know whether to send it back to Best Buy or make a claim directly to Westinghouse. Not much point in just sending it back to Best Buy if I'll just get another defective unit back.

I just bought this monitor today and it seems that I also suffer from the screen door effect on the top right hand corner. Is this a defect? If I do an RMA to Newegg, how much will it cost me to ship it back to them?

I have no dead pixels or screen bleeding so I'm scared that if I exchange with Newegg, I'll get a new one with dead pixels, bleeding, or with the same screen door effect. Then I'd have to pay shipping again. Does anyone know how much shipping it to Newegg would cost?

If it's too much, I think I could live with the screen door, but I dunno, I feel cheated.

I feel very much the same way, I empathize entirely. As far as RMA'ing it is concerned, Newegg pays for shipping both ways, that's not an issue. However, I still have not heard back from Westinghouse, so I'll be giving them a call Monday morning.

Are you sure that Newegg pays refunds the shipping costs? If so, I would definitely feel better exchanging it. Their website says :

# Does Newegg.com pay the return shipping cost for defective merchandise?
No, Newegg.com does not pay the return shipping cost for defective merchandise. We are not responsible for product defects, because we do not manufacture the products we carry. However, if you pay to send the item back to Newegg.com, we will replace the item and ship the replacement to you at no charge. Newegg.com will employ every resource it has to ensure that your item is replaced promptly, without hassle.

I've never done an RMA, so I don't have experience with it.

A return is not the same as an RMA. A return means you pay a restocking fee (unless customer service waives it), but an RMA means that you are authorized for an exchange/refund. When I got an RMA, I simply had to print out a UPS shipping label, slap it on, and bring it to a UPS shipping center. No charge! Just call Newegg for confirmation if you're concerned.

Wow I had to pay to ship back both of my monitors to Newegg and after some civil arguing with them I finally got the 2nd return switched from a replacement to a refund, but with a 15% restocking fee. In total I probably spent around $100 plus the time wasted shipping the monitors back. I don't think I will buy anything from Newegg again.

Over the last few days, I actually think the affected area has grown a little bit. It use to be limited to the top right corner and only noticeable a few inches in either direction (left and down). Now I can see it all the way to the middle of the screen. This is really starting to bug me!

I'm anxious to hear what Westinghouse tells you on Monday.

Yeah, please keep us updated on the status. My screendoor expanded a few centimeters too.

I spoke with Westinghouse, and reached some (somewhat) satisfying conclusions. First of all, they are not at all aware of this issue, so I urge you all to call in and report the issue, and provide them with your serial number so they can track the issue. The phone number for customer service for LCD panels is 1-866-287-5555. According to the representative I spoke with, my complaint was the first they'd had regarding the screen door/grain effect.

Second of all, the representative I spoke with mentioned that according to my serial number, my panel was manufactured in April (quite a while ago). He in fact had a panel manufactured only a week before mine that was clean and had no issue, which is surprising.

I was assured by the representative that the issue would be addressed quickly, so I have high hopes for a good resolution. I think I will attempt another RMA with Newegg before giving up and requesting a refund.

Good luck to you all, and please call in!

I picked up this monitor last night. I also have a Samsung 22" 226BW. This monitor is much better in picture quality and a millions times better for viewing angle.

There might be a slight input delay but I'm not even sure what that is... do you mean a brief delay before the mouse moves in a game or something?

I haven't notice and defects as far as dead pixels or this screen door effect but I do notice a slight buzzing sound. Not bad though and didn't even notice it until I read about in in this thread.

Overall I like this monitor. I also purchased a monitor arm for $39 so now I have height, twist and rotate ability too.

I'll keep an eye out for this screen door effect. By the way, there is also a $50 rebate on this monitor now too so don't miss out on that. Only applies if you buy it from NewEgg though. And if you end up having to return it, it would be a lot easier to do at your local Best Buy.

Just picked one up from Best Buy to replace my one from NewEgg w/ a dead pixel.

No screen door, and no dead pixels. I'm a happy camper.

Well, I hate to say it but I took the Westy back. It isn't a bad monitor and I wouldn't feel bad about recommending it, especially for the $379 price at BB but I did notice some input lag when playing Crysis.

I took it back and bought an LG L246WPQ. I have to say that I think the LG is a better monitor. Picture quality is close as both are very good. Although the LG is a bit more money, you also get the adjustable stand, a 3 year vs. a 1 year warranty and all the cables are included. Unlike the Westy where you have to buy a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter. It is also faster, almost no noticeable input lag.

Time will tell if I'm happy with my choice but so far it looks like the LG wins.

Ok, I've read a majority of thread, just wanted to clarify some things and hopefully in a timely manner as this price won't be around forever.

1:1 pixel mapping so no black bars on top/bottom for PS3/XBox 360 upscaling?
MVA panel - not TN, despite the confusion on box prints?
HDMI-to-DVI for computer hook-up > VGA right?
Ghosting with FPS; huge deal, or are people exaggerating?

I'm coming from a E228WFP, which is TN. If that matters.

I might have some more questions, too.

However - it's going to be $329.99 CAD on Boxing Day. Irresistible price?

I'll likely buy 2.

Ok, I've read a majority of thread, just wanted to clarify some things and hopefully in a timely manner as this price won't be around forever.

1:1 pixel mapping so no black bars on top/bottom for PS3/XBox 360 upscaling?
MVA panel - not TN, despite the confusion on box prints?
HDMI-to-DVI for computer hook-up > VGA right?
Ghosting with FPS; huge deal, or are people exaggerating?

I'm coming from a E228WFP, which is TN. If that matters.

I might have some more questions, too.

However - it's going to be $329.99 CAD on Boxing Day. Irresistible price?

I'll likely buy 2.

It is a MVA panel 8ms

HDMI - DVI is recommened rather than VGA hook up. However the only bad thing about the HDMI is that the screen turns blue when the computer either shuts down or goes in standby

I havent noticed any ghosting but to some people who are huge FPS fans hate ghosting.

329 CAD is a steal. i paid $360 USD at BB.

Bottom line is, you can always test it and return it if u dont like it!

Is there any noticeable difference between HDMI-to-DVI instead of DVI other than the mentioned?
What about 1:1 pixel mapping? Any black bars when running 1080p on consoles?

Thanks for your answers so far.
I'm thinking the $330 CAD price is awesome.

Few more questions...

The power button - is it on the side? 'Cause I'm thinking in a dual monitor setup that's going to be a bit of a pain to turn it on.
Is the bezel a fair enough size where side-by-side there isn't a huge gap in between the two?

That's about it.

HDMI->DVI is a straight pin remapping. Precisely identical other than the pin-outs, so same signal is transferred.

Sorry, I don't have any next-gen consoles. When running non-native res though, it tends to just put black bars on the sides, running at the correct aspect ratio but scaling to fill vertically (eg. 1024X768 scales to 1200X900).

All buttons are on the right-hand side. Yep, could be a bit annoying turning the left one on with a dual setup.

The bezel is ~1 inch on the left and right sides.

HDMI->DVI is a straight pin remapping. Precisely identical other than the pin-outs, so same signal is transferred.

Sorry, I don't have any next-gen consoles. When running non-native res though, it tends to just put black bars on the sides, running at the correct aspect ratio but scaling to fill vertically (eg. 1024X768 scales to 1200X900).

All buttons are on the right-hand side. Yep, could be a bit annoying turning the left one on with a dual setup.

The bezel is ~1 inch on the left and right sides.

Ok, that clears up my confusing with HDMI-to-DVI.

Hmm, that might seem a bit awkward in a dual monitor setup then. I wonder if I could make a remote or something to turn them both on. Ugh, haha.

Bezel at ~1 inch seems pretty standard. Shouldn't be too bothersome.

Also, someone on Newegg said they got an IR extender for a remote to do its basic functions and what not. If I can get that I won't have to move it when I wanna turn them on/off.

Anyone got a clue how I would do that?

Don't notice any screen door effect.

MFG date 7/30/2007
Firmware 1.1

No more individual backlight control in the 1.1 firmware, its tied into the brightness control. <edit>which I have turned all the way down to 25 in my darkish (finished) basement media room</edit>

Some slight color variation that I don't notice looking at a static image, but when I drag windows across the screen or follow something in a move across the screen, I notice. Got a few days to decide if I want to keep it or "upgrade" to the LG or Samsung for a bit more.

BB

BB:

The Samsung is a downgrade, however, the LG might be considered an upgrade.

You realize the Samsung uses a TN panel I hope.

The Westy you have is MVA.

Back with news my friends.

6-7 hours in the line and I got both of my monitors! Haha.

From TN this is upgrade is like WOAH. The bezel/case are simply amazing and the colors after calibration are phenomenal. As are the viewing angles. Settings are posted earlier in the thread.

No dead pixels from the looks of it but I do have the screen door effect on one of the monitors (haven't opened the other yet).

Since it's no dead pixels though I might not even bother returning it because I really only notice the grain in the top right corner if I really look for it.

You guys think I should do an exchange at BestBuy and hope for one without said screendoor effect or live with it since I got no dead pixels? Haha. Opinions?

Anyways, pictures soon to follow possibly Let me get my stuff cleaned up and decide what I'm doing exchange-wise. Peace folks!

Back