Just Ordered My Westinghouse L2410NM!!

grifter_66

[H]ard|Gawd
As the title says I just ordered my new monitor, I can't wait! I'll wright up my impressions at the end of the week.

My real point for this thread though is that for those of you looking for a good 24" LCD but are on a tight budget Newegg just lowered the price of this monitor from $450 to $410 plus an additional $50 mail-in-rebate. The sale only lasts as long as they are in stock and the rebate expires tomorrow so if there is anyone on the fence hopefully this helps.

Here is the link

Could you watch a dark show/play a dark game and say if you notice the crushing of blacks? It's a complaint I've seen. Thanks.

Hey can you or anyone who has this monitor post some pics please? Also is this a glossy screen? Thanks

Other than price, any special reason you went for this particular monitor? The 8ms response time suggests that it's not a TN panel which is good...is it S-PVA or P-MVA?

Other than price, any special reason you went for this particular monitor? The 8ms response time suggests that it's not a TN panel which is good...is it S-PVA or P-MVA?

Hmm, I just "assumed" it was a TN, but after further investigation it seems not. The viewing angle is one clue, but also the response time as you pointed out. I decided to try and find out which panel it is. Reading the consumer reviews on newegg, one person states :

Pros: Except for the gray distortion, it is a beautiful MVA screen, with vivid colors and a good price.

Cons: There is a gray 1/2" by 1/8" rectangle that appears in the middle of the screen. The rectangle appears with all color screens except for black and dark gray ones and even appears when the monitor is not connected to a PC. I called Westinghouse's customer service and they said within a week I should be able to get a RMA. Controls are located on the back side of the lower right hand. The menu is difficult to use since it is not intuitive and wants to disappear within seconds.

Other Thoughts: It would have been a 5 if it was not defective.

So to them it appears to be an MVA panel. Of course take it with a grain of salt until better investigated. Still seems to be good enough to conclude its not TN.

It is an MVA panel.

For reference this is my first LCD screen so I may not be as picky as some of you but I really like what I see and not a single dead pixel. The Display controls do kind of suck but as long as you don't have stumps for hands or the memory of a gold fish it's really not that bad.

I chose this monitor because I also needed something to fill the position of an HDTV for my console and DVD player and this is HDCP compliant. With the budget I was on the other 24" panels were not an option, besides when I looked at it at Best Buy I thought it looked better then the other more expensive brands.

I just hooked it up and damn! is it beautiful. I haven't noticed any black crushing, Ghosting or input lag. Obviously the colors are not quite as vivid as the CRT I was using but it still looks damn good. I played a little Bioshock and the blacks look really good. I also have my 360 hooked up through the component inputs and Bioshock(I have the PC version and am borrowing the 360 version), Blue Dragon and Crackdown look great Halo 3 for some reason looks like ass though. I ran it on both 1080p and 720p to no avail. I will do another small wright up in a few days once I have some more time with it. Once I have a little more extra cash I will get the VGA adapter for the 360 to see if that make a difference in Halo 3.

I would love to take some pictures for you guys but I won't have my camera back until next week, if you are still interested then I will take a few.

im interested on this monitor, can u post pics of it please?

and how good is it for gaming? any lag, ghost, bleeding? etc?

add me to the list of people who own this LCD. I just picked one up at Best Buy on sale for $365 (including sales tax) and I must say this is a pretty nice monitor especially for the price.

I will try to post some pics soon. I have this hooked up to my 17" MacBook Pro and it looks great.

*EDIT*

okay, finally here's the pics I took last week. I work a ton of hours so I don't have much free time. remember that taking pictures of LCD images with a camera isn't exactly the best way to judge the quality of the LCD. as usual, you have to see this LCD in person to appreciate how nice it really is. oh, and before anyway asks, I haven't seen ghosting to be a problem with this screen.

to me, $365 for an LCD that I would call "good quality" isn't nothing to laugh about. I don't think it's quite on par with a 24" Dell, but the price differences between the two more than makes up for the slight differences in quality.

add me to the list of people who own this LCD. I just picked one up at Best Buy on sale for $365 (including sales tax) and I must say this is a pretty nice monitor especially for the price.

How did you get it at $365 (including sales tax)? That's great!

When was it on sale at Best Buy? Newegg has it for that price, but after instant savings and $50MIR.

How did you get it at $365 (including sales tax)? That's great!

it's $399 at Best Buy and then I had a 12% off coupon.

the only reason why I bought it was due to the fact that most of the reviews at Newegg are looking good. I wanted to buy my LCD locally because I would never buy one from Newegg. their dead pixel return policy is horrible. that's the only beef I've ever had with Newegg.

Hopefully my Best Buy has this on display. I went yesterday to look, because of the price I saw it for at newegg. The largest Westinghouse they had was a 22". Hopefully since it is sale week, they've got one.

Hopefully my Best Buy has this on display.

just be sure not to make a final decision based on how the LCD looks on display because everyone knows they aren't feeding their monitors the highest quality inputs to begin with.

in all reality, this monitor shouldn't be fed anything but a DVI input signal. anything less just wouldn't be worth it IMO.

I know. I just want to see the quality of the monitor, and how it looks in general.

HDMI to DVI adapter then?

it's $399 at Best Buy and then I had a 12% off coupon.

the only reason why I bought it was due to the fact that most of the reviews at Newegg are looking good. I wanted to buy my LCD locally because I would never buy one from Newegg. their dead pixel return policy is horrible. that's the only beef I've ever had with Newegg.
Did you use the 12% off w/ Reward Zone Membership coupon? I tried using it and they said that coupon does not include computer monitors. The manager said that as well.

These are somewhat hard to find B&M so I decided to get it anyway. I got the 4 yr warranty in case anything happens. So it's is insured until 2011. It is perfect for me because I have my pc and 360 hooked up to it. =)

I love this monitor, I have had no issues at all and all I have been doing is gaming and watching movies on it (360&PC) other than the OSD controls it's pretty much perfect. I just watched Distubia on HD-DVD and it looks amazing, think I am gonna watch Batman Begins tonight.

What I am trying to figure out is what those people who pay $600 to $700 for a 24" get...better OSD controls and DVI? because I can't see the picture getting much better than this and the inputs are perfect with a $5 DVI to HDMI cable. I guess I would have to put them side by side and run the same content on them to really see a difference.

What I am trying to figure out is what those people who pay $600 to $700 for a 24" get...better OSD controls and DVI? because I can't see the picture getting much better than this and the inputs are perfect with a $5 DVI to HDMI cable. I guess I would have to put them side by side and run the same content on them to really see a difference.

I agree. as much as I would like to have a 24" Dell, I just can't see spending the extra $200 to $250 on a 2407 when this Westy looks just as nice.

yes, the Westy's control buttons are a PITA to use, but if that means me saving $200 then so be it. after all, it isn't like I need to use the buttons on a regular basis so it matters not to me.

I took some pics tonight, but it's getting late and I need to get to bed. I plan on posting a mini review tomorrow anyways.

does anyone know how this would compare picture quality wise for gaming agains an LG L204WT ?

does anyone know how this would compare picture quality wise for gaming agains an LG L204WT ?

Games look amazing on this, like I said earlier no ghosting, input lag or black crushing and the blacks are BLACK. The colors are all very vivid and look, as far as I can tell, exactly how they are supposed to look. The only problem I have with the 360 is you really notice the aliasing in some games(Halo 3)while others(Bioshock)look exceptional, I'm not sure if it's the game itself or the resolution of the monitor but thankfully you can adjust the monitors settings to help counter this.

This monitor does support 1:1 pixel mapping so you don't have to worry about you 360 image getting stretched and deformed if that bugs you.

I have this monitor, but I didn't know it was mva, someone explain this one to me...

I bought this monitor yesterday on a whim. I was able to use the 12% off BB coupon. I think it was $380 out the door for me.

Upon going home I found a stuck subpixel. The monitor is pretty light imho (compared to the LG246). To me it looks and feels a little cheap.

The brightness out of the box is pretty radioactive. I thought my eyes would burn out. There is a button for brightness presets to change it on the fly easily.

Using the computer via VGA was terrible. It is really annoying because the box only comes with a vga cable (The LG came with a DVI-HDMI cable).

I tested a few of the inputs. I tried a 360 via component and vga. Both looked great with no obvious signs of overscan. Tried a Wii with component. Not the best picture in the world (a little fuzzy and jaggy) but it seemed ok. Even tried a PS3 through composite (my $5 HDMI cable hasn't come in yet). Composite quality is not very good and for some reason the left edge of the picture has an annoying purple tint to it.

And finally my biggest gripe has to be the controls for this monitor. It feels like Westinghouse deliberately made it difficult to navigate the menu (menu looks bad). You can't tell the buttons apart and everything is difficult to use and navigate. One redeeming quality is that you can change though the inputs pretty quickly.

Oh and it has built in speakers that are well...terrible.

I bought this monitor yesterday on a whim. I was able to use the 12% off BB coupon. I think it was $380 out the door for me.

Upon going home I found a stuck subpixel. The monitor is pretty light imho (compared to the LG246). To me it looks and feels a little cheap.

The brightness out of the box is pretty radioactive. I thought my eyes would burn out. There is a button for brightness presets to change it on the fly easily.

Using the computer via VGA was terrible. It is really annoying because the box only comes with a vga cable (The LG came with a DVI-HDMI cable).

I tested a few of the inputs. I tried a 360 via component and vga. Both looked great with no obvious signs of overscan. Tried a Wii with component. Not the best picture in the world (a little fuzzy and jaggy) but it seemed ok. Even tried a PS3 through composite (my $5 HDMI cable hasn't come in yet). Composite quality is not very good and for some reason the left edge of the picture has an annoying purple tint to it.

And finally my biggest gripe has to be the controls for this monitor. It feels like Westinghouse deliberately made it difficult to navigate the menu (menu looks bad). You can't tell the buttons apart and everything is difficult to use and navigate. One redeeming quality is that you can change though the inputs pretty quickly.

Oh and it has built in speakers that are well...terrible.

I don't seem to have any of the issues you do. I did do my home work so I had an HDMI to DVI cable waiting for me when I got the monitor and considering you payed over $200 more for that LG it better come with an HDMI to DVI cable.

Your purple tint issue is either do to a defective monitor or the color settings have been messed with, you should probably take it back. I don't use composite and have had no display issues with Component, VGA or HDMI. Composite quality is never any good on an HD monitor especially compared to the other inputs, this isn't a $1500 TV. Since when have built in speakers on anything ever been "good"? Passable on the higher end devices yes but never good, thats why people use separate speakers and receivers.

The controls are pretty retarded but after 5min of figuring out what does what it stops being an issue.

After watching a few Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies and playing a bunch of games on both consoles and PC this monitor is far more impressive than I thought it would be and even if the prices on the other brands were to match this I would probably choose the same. Reading all the threads on the other more expensive brands and the widespread issues most people seem to be having with them I see no point in waisting the extra $200 to $400 on what seems to be a logo preference on the display bezel or a few cosmetic niceties but of course thats just me.

I don't seem to have any of the issues you do. I did do my home work so I had an HDMI to DVI cable waiting for me when I got the monitor and considering you payed over $200 more for that LG it better come with an HDMI to DVI cable.

Your purple tint issue is either do to a defective monitor or the color settings have been messed with, you should probably take it back. I don't use composite and have had no display issues with Component, VGA or HDMI. Composite quality is never any good on an HD monitor especially compared to the other inputs, this isn't a $1500 TV. Since when have built in speakers on anything ever been "good"? Passable on the higher end devices yes but never good, thats why people use separate speakers and receivers.

The controls are pretty retarded but after 5min of figuring out what does what it stops being an issue.

After watching a few Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies and playing a bunch of games on both consoles and PC this monitor is far more impressive than I thought it would be and even if the prices on the other brands were to match this I would probably choose the same. Reading all the threads on the other more expensive brands and the widespread issues most people seem to be having with them I see no point in waisting the extra $200 to $400 on what seems to be a logo preference on the display bezel or a few cosmetic niceties but of course thats just me.

The purple tint only came up using the PS3 over composite (looked fine when I used a overpriced HDMI on a TV). I always hope that there is a monitor out there that can do SD content really well...but that isn't the Westy's forte or any other non crt.

And yes the speakers are terrible... they are all pretty much terrible. That was my point...that is what the "...." was for. It's just that when I hooked stuff up to it, I didn't know that the volume was set to 50. Surprised me, thats all.

The reason why I brought up the LG was because I got lucky with BB and got it for $475.

I guess I've been pointing out the bad points too much.

The component connection works very well (pretty sure no overscan). Most other monitors can't get it right, but the Westy does. The quality of the 360 over VGA was really impressive. (1080p no overscan).

I had no problems with 1:1 either with this monitor.

The purple tint only came up using the PS3 over composite (looked fine when I used a overpriced HDMI on a TV). I always hope that there is a monitor out there that can do SD content really well...but that isn't the Westy's forte or any other non crt.
If you have the PS2 component cables those should work with the PS3, it's no HDMI but at least it's HD.

That purple tint shouldn't be happening at all and may be a hint of things to come so I would still try and exchange it.

I have yet to see any SD console based image look better than "crap" on anything HD. :)

Check out www.monoprice.com for good, cheap cables.
And yes the speakers are terrible... they are all pretty much terrible. That was my point...that is what the "...." was for. It's just that when I hooked stuff up to it, I didn't know that the volume was set to 50. Surprised me, thats all.
I didn't even realize this had speakers until I was messing around in the OSD.
The reason why I brought up the LG was because I got lucky with BB and got it for $475.
Right on, are you running dual displays or did you take it back for some reason?
I guess I've been pointing out the bad points too much.
It just sounded kind of like nit picking with the speaker complaint and cable complaint and I still think the "tint" is a defect in your monitor so it's probably not a fair right up. You just got unlucky.
The component connection works very well (pretty sure no overscan). Most other monitors can't get it right, but the Westy does. The quality of the 360 over VGA was really impressive. (1080p no overscan).

I had no problems with 1:1 either with this monitor.

Have you used both VGA and Component with your 360 or just VGA? I am using component at the moment (1080p no overscan) but was wondering if it's worth spending $40 bucks to go VGA?

Hmm, I just "assumed" it was a TN, but after further investigation it seems not. The viewing angle is one clue, but also the response time as you pointed out. I decided to try and find out which panel it is. Reading the consumer reviews on newegg, one person states :

Pros: Except for the gray distortion, it is a beautiful MVA screen, with vivid colors and a good price.

Cons: There is a gray 1/2" by 1/8" rectangle that appears in the middle of the screen. The rectangle appears with all color screens except for black and dark gray ones and even appears when the monitor is not connected to a PC. I called Westinghouse's customer service and they said within a week I should be able to get a RMA. Controls are located on the back side of the lower right hand. The menu is difficult to use since it is not intuitive and wants to disappear within seconds.

Other Thoughts: It would have been a 5 if it was not defective.

So to them it appears to be an MVA panel. Of course take it with a grain of salt until better investigated. Still seems to be good enough to conclude its not TN.

What gray 1/2" by 1/8" Rectangle i never seen that on mine. unless it just happens on random montiors. I got used to the menu.

I didn't even realize this had speakers until I was messing around in the OSD.

Right on, are you running dual displays or did you take it back for some reason?

I make lots of bad choices. I actually returned my LG. It was a pristine unit too. I made a rash decision because of the overscan over component, which interfered with my pac-man.

I returned the Westy today... I'm going to go back to BB and see if I can find a Gateway FHD2400

Have you used both VGA and Component with your 360 or just VGA? I am using component at the moment (1080p no overscan) but was wondering if it's worth spending $40 bucks to go VGA?

VGA and Component are both perfect (to me at least). However, I wouldn't spend $40 to get the xbox 360 vga cable, component does everything fine. I only got it because I found one for $20

I was going to get a HDMI cable from monoprice but I opted to go with Yesbuy. It was $5+ no tax+ free shipping, where as monoprice had $6 shipping for a $6 cable. Unfortunately, I have waited over a week and it still hasn't shipped from Yesbuy. I really should have gone with MonoPrice.

I went back to bestbuy and got them to credit my cc for the 12% coupon. It was about 350 + tax OTD. I looked at the LG while I was there. So the picture quality may be a bit higher and it has a DVI connection. Is that REALLY worth it to pay $200+ more for that monitor. Not in my opinion.

1. I think the bezel looks nicer in person than in the pictures.
2. I don't get the gripe about the OCD ctrls, it took me 30 second of looking at the diagram to figure it out. Not an issue.

I don't want to start a new thread for this and I did a search and most of the threads went on about buying hardware to calibrate your screen, but I was wondering if there was any good freeware calibration programs I could use for my new Westinghouse.

Every component cable I've used with the 360 resulted in purple tints all over the screen. I ended up chunking them all and got my vga cable... The monitor is really really bright out of the box, but the quick change is wonderful. Suits me for all the lighting conditions I face throughout the day.

The controls are a little lame, and I kinda wish it came with a small remote, but thats no biggy either imo. Just learn the buttons on the side and you can move through whatever you need fast.

I also wish I could find something to calibrate this monitor by.

Every component cable I've used with the 360 resulted in purple tints all over the screen.

Why don't you take it back and exchange it for another one? There is no reason to keep any product that you purchased new if it's not working appropriately.

I did... I traded at least 3 in and finally said screw it. Thats when I decided to try the vga... I'm sorry but 3 component cables 2 from M$ and a 3rd party all giving me the same problems... I'll pass lol...

I did... I traded at least 3 in and finally said screw it. Thats when I decided to try the vga... I'm sorry but 3 component cables 2 from M$ and a 3rd party all giving me the same problems... I'll pass lol...

No shit? That sucks!

It's not the cables, it's either the monitor or your 360 the latter being unlikely. Did you exchange your monitor and the cables or just the cables? If you exchanged the monitor 3 times I would contact Westinghouse because that is definitely not right.

Back