Just Ordered My Westinghouse L2410NM!!

Do you have a CRT and Digicam? If so, test it. Perhaps you have a defective monitor.

You certainly shouldn't be getting over 40ms. More like 30-40ms from my testing. If you test, and get that, then I guess you're just particularly sensitive to input lag.

I have a digicam, just not a good one. Probably wouldn't work out to well.

It's not HUGE input lag, probably around 30ms. I'm just extremely extremely sensitive to any sort of input lag. My 22" TN only has an average lag of ~3ms according to what I've read and I notice that something is up compared to a CRT.

Ah, yeah. If ~3x ms are going to be an issue, MVA may not be for you.

I only notice it subjectively when I'm switching from white to black or black to white with the screen cloned to my CRT. Then, it seems like the LCD is just a very little bit later, but only if I'm not focused on either screen (looking at both, unfocused).

I thought I felt the input lag in games, but that was just me feeling the drop in fps. /pif

Assuming everything is working as it should, too bad. I guess your options are either
1. Try out a low-input-lag MVA/PVA/etc, and hope that's good enough,
2. Go to TN.
3. Go to IPS (new).

Sorta a nasty choice, innit?

Ah, yeah. If ~3x ms are going to be an issue, MVA may not be for you.

I only notice it subjectively when I'm switching from white to black or black to white with the screen cloned to my CRT. Then, it seems like the LCD is just a very little bit later, but only if I'm not focused on either screen (looking at both, unfocused).

I thought I felt the input lag in games, but that was just me feeling the drop in fps. /pif

Assuming everything is working as it should, too bad. I guess your options are either
1. Try out a low-input-lag MVA/PVA/etc, and hope that's good enough,
2. Go to TN.
3. Go to IPS (new).

Sorta a nasty choice, innit?

Yeah it's bad... Oh well I can live with it. WUXGA FTW!

Anyone know why my blacks aren't that black?

I was checking out LCDs today and I have to say seeing this Westinghouse right next to the LG 24" at bestbuy I liked the Westy better! Image was less washed out when viewed from the sides and I could see backlight leakage on the LG. There was an Acer P241WBD that I wanted to check out at Circuit City along with the new Gateway FHD2400 as well, but no one (CC BB CUSA) had either of these monitors on display.

Yeah it's bad... Oh well I can live with it. WUXGA FTW!

Anyone know why my blacks aren't that black?

Aren't they? Have you calibrated? Hm....do you mean overall black level, or black crush/low-level contrast?

Try going to
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/#contrast
and see if you can see the difference between the background, the 1-square, 2-square and so on.

I can, with settings of RGB=32/32/38, contrast 80. Brightness 40-80 and I'm fine. I've also used QuickGamma for gamma calibration.

wait...

first of all, isnt this monitor advertised as 8ms response time? or is that different from input lag

Because mouse movement and aiming in games seems kind of difficult to control, but i dont see any ghosting at all, which i thought was what the point of low response times.

If input lag and response time are 2 different things, then why isn't the input response time ever shown in the spec sheets... thats probably the most important thing to me

This monitor would be absolutely perfect if it wasnt for this funky mouse movement thing; the image quality is spectacular and the whole crushed blacks problem is entirely nonexistant after calibration.

I dont see why people are harping on crushed blacks and the bad OSD but sort of ignoring the input lag problem until the last few posts- in the extreme tech review input lag is completely ignored.

Aren't they? Have you calibrated? Hm....do you mean overall black level, or black crush/low-level contrast?

Try going to
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/#contrast
and see if you can see the difference between the background, the 1-square, 2-square and so on.

I can, with settings of RGB=32/32/38, contrast 80. Brightness 40-80 and I'm fine. I've also used QuickGamma for gamma calibration.

Yeah im using those exact same settings. Brought my brightness down to 40 and everything looks fine now. I can hardly tell #1 from the background but the others are clear.

well technically the #1 box is suppose to blend with the screen, they're both suppose to be BLACK. I mean the wallpaper of the page and the box, they are the same.

No they aren't.

True black is RGB 0-0-0.
True white is RGB 255-255-255.
Box 1 is RGB 1-1-1.

I can tell the difference...just.

Thats not what I meant. I meant the #1 box is so close to the color of the background of that website. I could just BARELY make a out slight outline or something of that nature, and knew to look under the 1. I saw 2 much better than 1 but barely compared to 3-25. I could make out all the boxes though without straining my eyes.

Thats all I'm saying. You probably won't see #1 as well as the others no matter what you do. 0-0-0 vs 1-1-1 yes, you should if you try hard enough be able to see a slight outline, but a massive difference, no.

Oh. Well, yes, then. I guess I was just being too literal with the "they are the same" phrase.

I'm bumping this thread with another, up-2-date picture of my 24" Westy hooked up to my 17" MacBook Pro.

ozziegndeskdv2.jpg

Hey guy's sorry this is a little out of subject but I really need to know this.
At my local BestBuy this monitor is 599$ CAN. But my friend is offering me to buy hes
Dell 2407wfp AO3 for almost 400-450$ What do you guy's think with your experience with these monitors :confused:

I know the ao3 is not as perfect as the ao4 but this monitor does not have dvi and that worries me a bit.

dvi and hdmi are the same minus 1 thing. DVI does not support audio where hdmi does. Buy a simple dvi-hdmi cable if you wanna go for the westy.

I would say Dell 2407wfp but others might disagree. Go get on your friends monitor and game, do whatever you do for a while, then goto your bb and look at the westy for a while, mess with the settings and see if you can get it looking pretty. Don't really think we can make that choice for you.

and read this http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1146236&page=6 , search the net for all you can find on both and see which one you feel is most promising.

Are you guys running DVI-D to HDMI or DVI-I to HDMI? Reason I ask is because my Macbook outputs only in DVI-D (I think). Correct me if I am wrong. I would then be running my 360 through the VGA or component.

Also, Newegg indicates it is wall mount capable with 100x100mm VESA. You can not see the mounting holes in the pictures, but I assume they are behind the built in stand. Could an owner confirm.

Thanks guys.

Ive been considering this for a while now, as I cant see spending another $200 for a "superior panel". I already have a 42" 1080p lcd running as my main tv in the room hooked up to my pc via RGB.

So basically all I want this for is gaming and work at the desk, in a dual monitor setup. Movies get dragged over to the 42", ps3 and such is played there too. This would strictly be for gaming, benchmarks and computing tasks.

Think its worth it? These input lag stories do have me a bit worried though, I think I would notice something like that. Maybe I can find one on shelf at bestbuy and test it out.

So on several sites I see it listed in specs that this is wall mountable. Has anyone figured out how you're supposed to do this? I see no VESA mount points or any others for that matter? A case of false advertising?

Are you guys running DVI-D to HDMI or DVI-I to HDMI? Reason I ask is because my Macbook outputs only in DVI-D (I think). Correct me if I am wrong. I would then be running my 360 through the VGA or component.

Also, Newegg indicates it is wall mount capable with 100x100mm VESA. You can not see the mounting holes in the pictures, but I assume they are behind the built in stand. Could an owner confirm.

Thanks guys.

DVI-I is just DVI-D+I.... the I is for a nondigital signal. Since DVI->HDMI cables are direct digital (just rewiring, no conversion), DVI-D contains the only pins that are going to be used. DVI-I just has extra, useless (in this, and most, cases) pins.

Wall mount...let me look: Can't tell. Only place I can see is under the stand, and that portion of the stand is screwed on. Someone'd have to undo it to check.

Ive been considering this for a while now, as I cant see spending another $200 for a "superior panel". I already have a 42" 1080p lcd running as my main tv in the room hooked up to my pc via RGB.

So basically all I want this for is gaming and work at the desk, in a dual monitor setup. Movies get dragged over to the 42", ps3 and such is played there too. This would strictly be for gaming, benchmarks and computing tasks.

Think its worth it? These input lag stories do have me a bit worried though, I think I would notice something like that. Maybe I can find one on shelf at bestbuy and test it out.

Input lag is bad, compared to CRT or to 22" TN LCD monitors. But only because those two are amazing.
Input lag is comparable to LCD TVs, other 24" monitors, etc. Do you notice it on your TV?

And yeah, if you can, pick one up somewhere that has a no-hassle returns policy. I've got until Saturday on mine, but since it's near-flawless, I'll be keeping it happily. If possible, try it and see if the input lag is noticable. I can tell only when I have my CRT as clone, and I switch base colors (black->white, white->black fullscreen, etc) while looking at both at once.

Wall mount...let me look: Can't tell. Only place I can see is under the stand, and that portion of the stand is screwed on. Someone'd have to undo it to check.

Westinghouse's Manual and Documentation is utterly terrible for finding information on mounting this monitor. I figured it out on my own after scratching my head for a little. I first tried to fiddle with the bottom - nothing there. I looked in the butt-creak where the monitor farts, I mean "tilts", - nothing there.

I fooled around a little and the "tower" piece of plastic where the serial number and Westinghouse label is pops off. You have to go along the sides and pop it out. Really easy to do once you figure it out, but I doubt I'd have figured it out if I didn't know the darn thing is supposed to be wall mountable.

Once you've got that off, it's a simple matter of unscrewing the current bracket that holds the stand on and putting on whatever your replacement is.

Hopefully this will save some people a little time.

Input lag is bad, compared to CRT or to 22" TN LCD monitors. But only because those two are amazing.
Input lag is comparable to LCD TVs, other 24" monitors, etc. Do you notice it on your TV?

And yeah, if you can, pick one up somewhere that has a no-hassle returns policy. I've got until Saturday on mine, but since it's near-flawless, I'll be keeping it happily. If possible, try it and see if the input lag is noticable. I can tell only when I have my CRT as clone, and I switch base colors (black->white, white->black fullscreen, etc) while looking at both at once.

That bad eh? Im using a 204B right now and I've enjoyed it. Just been ready to make the move to WS and a higher res. As far as my 42", its every so slight, i wouldnt say its as responsive as the 204b, but its ok.

That may be the plan, pick it up at bestbuy and see what i think, can always return if or find it elsewhere cheaper if worst comes to worst.

Just ordered mine, I am in Iraq so I probably wont get it for like a week or so. As soon as I do I will take pics of it playing XBOX 360, PS2 and PC usage.

The reason I selected this monitor is because of HDMI and it price is unbeatable for a 24" display.

I just ordered one of these from newegg. Seems like the only negative is the input lag which is still less than what my Dell 24" 2405fpw was (45-50ms at 60hz). It didn't seem to bother me on that monitor which I sold before moving from NY to CA a couple months ago. Hope I like this monitor! I will post some pix and impressions when I get mine. Now I need to make up my mind on a PS3 40gb or a Xbox 360 20gb!!!

Well I finally got my L2410NM and of course with my luck I have a problem. The top left side is grainy in comparison to other areas. I took a picture of a quicktime trailer in the top left and then the top right there is a huge difference when you get close, very hard to notice sitting back a ways. Check out the picture:
073728f639.jpg

Well I finally got my L2410NM and of course with my luck I have a problem. The top left side is grainy in comparison to other areas. I took a picture of a quicktime trailer in the top left and then the top right there is a huge difference when you get close, very hard to notice sitting back a ways. Check out the picture:

Weird. That looks...defective. My Westy is not like that. The evenness of the screendoor, which is only visible at magnification or from <4 inches away, and then barely, is perfect.

Potential exchange there...Ouch.

Thanks for the response. I sent newegg an email, yeah its like there is a major screen door effect on the one side and not on the other. It also has 3 stuck pixels which I was gonna deal with because they are all low on the panel and not very noticeable but the grainy/screen door effect on the left side is super annoying!

Westy 24 a TN panel apparenty so according to this

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2107419

I finally got an update from Westinghouse about the panel on this Monitor.

Here it is:
----------------------------------------
The L2410NM uses a TN type panel at 1000:1 contrast ratio. The carton
and manual may indicate it was a MVA type panel, but that is not the
case. We changed the panel type and did not reprint the boxes and
manuals to reflect that, but the information on our website is correct.

its no wonder they sold them for such a low price they changed the panel's This is lower than what samsung and dell did with its panel's IMO :mad:

The Universe conspires against me:(: 3 days ago i pulled the trigger and got a Westy 24", and all of a sudden this info of TN panel surfaces, i already have this LCD flying to Brazil and shipping costs for a refund would be greater than the monitor price...

to think that i let the $360 acer P series deal for this westy:mad:. Only good thing is that i also pulled the trigger on a $292 Soyo: it's a hit or miss: a flawless Soyo or a VA Westy.

Maybe it is time to make a topic were people can report dates/ panels types of the westy: another panel lottery :rolleyes:

It's not a TN panel, kinson emailed Westy customer service. From page 5:

"Talked to a supervisor at WH, he apparently owns the same monitor as all of us, so I told him the situation. He said to me "I'm sorry for the confusion but I promise you, what we say on our website is what you own. There is no difference at all except for the manual and the box, most of which are correct. The reason for the confusion and use of misinforming boxes and manuals is solely because we already had these boxes and manuals in production when the monitor was changed, and shipped out to stores in the U.S. There is 0 difference between the specifications of your monitor and the specs on our site. Westinghouse was just saving money instead of reprinting everything for the large chunk of boxes and manuals that are off."

If you look at one in person it's pretty obvious it's not a TN panel.

Just got mine in the mail today. I am in Iraq so my resources are limited, on pics I can take for you all. I do have a 360, PS2, and my laptop over here so I can take pics of it playing a handful of games if you want to see them. Let me know which ones you want screen shots of, my games are listed below.

XBOX 360: Bioshock, Oblivion, Halo 3, NHL 08, Madden 08, Medal of Honor: Airbourne, Two Worlds, Stranglehold, Blue Dragon, Forza 2, Nascar 08

PS2: Gran Turismo 4 (supports 1080i), Final Fantasy XII (not sure if it supports 1080i), Metal Gear Solid 3, others are not worth listing.

Just got mine in the mail today. I am in Iraq so my resources are limited, on pics I can take for you all. I do have a 360, PS2, and my laptop over here so I can take pics of it playing a handful of games if you want to see them. Let me know which ones you want screen shots of, my games are listed below.

XBOX 360: Bioshock, Oblivion, Halo 3, NHL 08, Madden 08, Medal of Honor: Airbourne, Two Worlds, Stranglehold, Blue Dragon, Forza 2, Nascar 08

PS2: Gran Turismo 4 (supports 1080i), Final Fantasy XII (not sure if it supports 1080i), Metal Gear Solid 3, others are not worth listing.

Bioshock, Oblivion, Halo 3!!!

Guys I want to buy this monitor but I've heard some bad things about neweggs return policy for dead pixels. Is there a better site to puchase from?

Help!

Hi, has anyone who purchased this monitor from Newegg mailed in their $50 rebate and gotten it back yet? I bought mine Oct. 10th, mailed in the rebate a couple days later, and I haven't gotten it back yet. I checked rebate status_dot_com but it can't find my rebate. I emailed customer service for the page and weeks ago and haven't heard back. How long should it take? Thanks.

About the panel being TN. I'm pretty sure it's NOT TN b/c the viewing angles are way better and the blacks and color are better. If you push the screen a star * shape appears where your finger is instead of a circle ripple, and thats supposed to mean thats its an MVA panel.

Guys I want to buy this monitor but I've heard some bad things about neweggs return policy for dead pixels. Is there a better site to puchase from?

Help!

rule #1: never, ever buy an LCD monitor from Newegg. they have a horrible return policy when the subject of dead or stuck pixels comes in to play.

hell no.

I have one days usage out of this monitor and here is my opinion so far. I did order from Newegg because theirs was the cheaperst. I got no dead pixels, monitor was perfect.

I like the monitor so far, there are somethings i dont like about though.

Halo 3 looks awful on this monitor. Everything up close in the game looks great but as sso as it starts to get further away it nearly turns into a blob of colors(has anyone else noticed this?). I think Oblivion looked better on my 20 inch CRT TV. DVD playback from my PS2 looked really really bad, quality is terrible.

No on to some good things. Bioshock looked great and the most impressive was NHL 2008. that game a lone made the purchase worth it.

Pics are coming soon...

I have one days usage out of this monitor and here is my opinion so far. I did order from Newegg because theirs was the cheaperst. I got no dead pixels, monitor was perfect.

I like the monitor so far, there are somethings i dont like about though.

Halo 3 looks awful on this monitor. Everything up close in the game looks great but as sso as it starts to get further away it nearly turns into a blob of colors(has anyone else noticed this?). I think Oblivion looked better on my 20 inch CRT TV. DVD playback from my PS2 looked really really bad, quality is terrible.

No on to some good things. Bioshock looked great and the most impressive was NHL 2008. that game a lone made the purchase worth it.

Pics are coming soon...

Mm...calibrate it?

I finally got an update from Westinghouse about the panel on this Monitor.

Here it is:
----------------------------------------
The L2410NM uses a TN type panel at 1000:1 contrast ratio. The carton
and manual may indicate it was a MVA type panel, but that is not the
case. We changed the panel type and did not reprint the boxes and
manuals to reflect that, but the information on our website is correct.

It's an MVA panel.
The little "TN panel" quote: The website says it's an MVA not a TN, as the quote would imply. They did indeed fail to reprint the boxes and manuals...however, the switch was from a TN to an MVA (manual says 160/170 viewing angles = TN, website says 176/176 viewing angles, and claims MVA, reality claims MVA).

Hell, I just rechecked the website. Still MVA. If the above quote was true, the website wouldn't say MVA. So...that quote's backward, somehow.

Back