Just ordered my new WC components, opinions?

thesmelliestsock.

[H]ard|Gawd
I ordered all new parts to replace my current, crappy Tt Aquarius2 kit :p

Parts:

CPU Block: STORM Extreme Universal Block
GPU Block: Maze 4 Acetal Version Nvidia 68xx/78xx Series
Radiator: Black Ice Xtreme - Black 120mm
Tubing: ClearFlex - 15 Feet
Pump: DD D5 12 Volt
Clamps: 20 - Black
Fillport: Danger Den Silver Aluminum Fillport
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 3.5g Tube
Fittings: Barbed T Fitting- 3/8 + 2x Reducer 3/8 to 1/4

Is there anything I may have missed? The reason for those 3/8 to 1/4 reducers is that I have an extra 80mm radiator from my old kit which I may put in series with the new radiator if it yields any performance increase.

My specs are (copied):

P4 640 3.2GHz @ 4,100MHz - Water-Cooled
ASUS P5AD2-E Premium Motherboard
1GB(2x512MB) PDP DDR2-700 PC2-5600 RAM
Leadtek GeForce 7800 GTX
Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS
Western-Digital Raptor 74GB HDD - 10,000 RPM
Western-Digital 80GB HDD - 7,200 RPM
Lian-Li PC65 Case
OCZ ModStream 520w PSU

I'm hoping for idle CPU temps of around 35*c and load no higher than 50*c. I'm not sure what to expect out of my GPU temps but I'm sure that they'll be better than the stock cooler I have on it now ;)

Looks good to me, but if you really want to use that 80mm rad I would suggest you use it in parallel to your BI rad. Otherwise your high flow will be impaired.

Do you by any chance have a diagram of what it would look like with 2 Radiators in Parallel? I'm aware of the Electrical concept of Series/Parallel but I'm not too familiar with the Watercooling concept of it :)

Thanks very much

aaaand would you mind ballparking what all that cost? why no res? dont think it will help or no space for it?

No space really. I got a fillport instead that I will mount to the top of my case. The total cost from Voyuer Mods came out to $290 + shipping.

·PitBuLL· said:
Do you by any chance have a diagram of what it would look like with 2 Radiators in Parallel? I'm aware of the Electrical concept of Series/Parallel but I'm not too familiar with the Watercooling concept of it.

Exact same concept as a parallel resistance network. One tube goes to both rads by way of a Y fitting and then both rads output goes back into the same line via another Y fitting.

I may do this:

Pump -> Fillport -> BI Rad 120mm -> CPU -> 80mm Rad -> Pump

The reasoning behind this is that the 120mm Rad will be underneath the HDD cage while the 80mm rad will be attached to an out-take fan. If I put them in Parallel, I'll be using a lot of tubing to do so, so parallel wouldn't be too beneficial. The way I see it now is that the 80mm rad won't interfere with anything, because the warm water out of the CPU will be slightly cooled by another rad, which will then go into the GPU and back to the pump. It would seem that even though the 80mm rad will slightly hamper the flow, it's towards the end of the loop anyway so it won't really matter. It's as if the CPU and GPU each have a rad to themselves.

Does this make any sense? Or am I completely wrong?

Thanks

By going from 3/8" line to 1/4" line you're cutting the area of the tubing in slightly over half (it takes 2.25 1/4" lines to equal the area of one 3/8" line) so any benefit you may see by having another rad will be shot in the foot by the decrease in water-flow that will result from the neck-down caused by the reducers and the rad.

That rad as nothing but 1/4" tubes snaking throughout the entirety of it.

Ah, damn. Too bad I didn't order any Y fittings, ah well. A local hardware store wouldn't have them by any chance would they? I know that they have tubbing and clamps...

Sell your old radiator. In series it will kill flow, in parallel it won't do shit
that's the plain and hard truth

My old radiator isn't worth much anyway. Who uses 1/4 ID tubing these days anyway? Plus the fins are rather bent as well :p

·PitBuLL· said:
My old radiator isn't worth much anyway. Who uses 1/4 ID tubing these days anyway? Plus the fins are rather bent as well :p

Lots of people use 1/4" tubes :D

If you are using the D5, DON'T use the 1/4" fittings. The manual states that any use of tubing or fittings smaller than 3/8" will cause the pump to cavitate, lose prime, and eventually go kaput. Not to mention void the warranty.

Bad karma all around.
Just something to think on
-Ghent

Thanks for the suggestion Ghent.

A little concern has come up for me, maybe those who have ordered from VoyeurMods can give me some insight. When I put together the parts list, I used Voyeur's DYI kit creator. I chose 3/8" ID tubing because it's easier to route than 1/2" ID tubing, but here is where the problem lies. As I've been reading more and more on the DD D5 pump, I've realized that this pump has 1/2" ID barbs stock. Does anyone know if Voyeur sends out these parts with replaced barbs? Or is this something that I'm going to have to do myself?

Thanks.

They'll send you a converter for it, don't worry. They did it for my DDC 12V. For me, they included 2 peices of 3/8" tubing that weren't very long, and they included an attatchment on the end of them that converted to 1/2". So, they'll probably do the same for you.

If the tubing you get is pretty flexible you can put a bit of dish soap (liquid of course) over the fittings on the D5 and force the tubing onto the 1/2" fittings pretty easily. Just make sure to put the soap on the fitting close to the end but not all the way to it so that the tubing will squeeze the soap back as it slides on, you don't want soap in your loop.

How are you mounting the radiator? You might want to consider using an Aqua Computer Evo 120 grill if it is going to the top or back of the case.

madmat said:
If the tubing you get is pretty flexible you can put a bit of dish soap (liquid of course) over the fittings on the D5 and force the tubing onto the 1/2" fittings pretty easily. Just make sure to put the soap on the fitting close to the end but not all the way to it so that the tubing will squeeze the soap back as it slides on, you don't want soap in your loop.

I would do that, and order 1/2" fittings for ALL of the parts if possible. It's so much easier to just stretch the 3/8" ID hose over the fittings/barbs. That way, you're keeping the tubing's ID matched to the barbs OD.

Top Nurse said:
How are you mounting the radiator? You might want to consider using an Aqua Computer Evo 120 grill if it is going to the top or back of the case.

Most likely in place of my HDD cage. It's only a single 120mm rad so it should fit.

Back