Just ordered my EVGA 8800GTS 640 superclocked

MX-5 Dave

Gawd
And I'm :D :D :D :D :D

I wasnt going to do the superclocked, but it was originally only $20 more at newegg, and now it has free shipping whereas the non superclocked version has just over $6 shipping. Which means I pay less than $14 for a guaranteed overclock (over the stock 8800GTS speed anyway) So I figure its worth it, even if most non superclocks will do superclock speeds, its only a guarantee if I buy the superclocked version. And at that little of a price difference, I figured, why not :)

I cant wait to see how this looks on my new setup. I was running a 7800GT SLI setup on a 19" viewsonic LCD, now I will be running this 8800 on a 2407 AO4 :)

If you pay via Paypal, there is a code in the Hot Deals section here that will shave up to like $10 off shipping. FYI.

Er, stupid me, nevermind. You got the card with the free shipping. Nevermind this message, it will self-destruct in 10 seconds due to my stupidity.

Okay? Try to post some useful content.

As far as that goes, how does the performance change from your 7800 SLI to a 8800 look? I have an 8800 myself but I upgraded from a single 7900 through a step up.

As far as that goes, how does the performance change from your 7800 SLI to a 8800 look? I have an 8800 myself but I upgraded from a single 7900 through a step up.

I went from 7800SLI to 8800GTS SLi, and the difference was awesome. You will enjoy it.

i have the 8800gts superclocked, upgraded from a x850. Its been a amazing card and worth those extra dollars for it.

Im wondering if I should hold out a little longer with my 7800gtx 512mb or just get the 8800gts. hmmmmm

Congrats!

I was thinking about getting the same card for the sig rig this weekend. I was kinda worried about Stalker performance after reading all of the issues, but its actually running well on the sig rig.

I'm going wait to see what the Radeon X2800 brings, and probably wait till June for the 8900 or 8800 Ultra or whatever nVidia is going to release next.

Hopefully too Vista drivers will be a little more stable!

congrats, but as I can see no need for the superclock....I got my normal GTS running at 600/1000 no problem. I'd be interested to see if the superclock are handpicked and therefore can overclock even better than the GTS or if they are just overclocked in factory but the same quality.

FOR VISTA ONLY: btw, stick with official drivers if you want direct fan control with ntune; that feature doesn't work with the current beta drivers out there. Also, NONE of the drivers support digital vibrance yet under VISTA.

Go re-read the post and thread title. How would I know what the performance change looks like if I JUST ORDERED THE CARD lol.

congrats, but as I can see no need for the superclock....I got my normal GTS running at 600/1000 no problem.

I felt the same up till this morning. Here is the way I look at it. You are never guaranteed to be able to overclock even 1mhz. So although pretty much all GTS's will OC to superclock speeds or higher, I COULD end up with a card that doesnt OC worth a damn.
So for less than $14, I am definately getting an OC. Even if its just OC over a standard GTS.

I felt the same up till this morning. Here is the way I look at it. You are never guaranteed to be able to overclock even 1mhz. So although pretty much all GTS's will OC to superclock speeds or higher, I COULD end up with a card that doesnt OC worth a damn.
So for less than $14, I am definately getting an OC. Even if its just OC over a standard GTS.

Thats not true. Overclocking a graphics card isnt russian rulete.

I want to make this perfectly clear:
You will ALWAYS be able to overclock the same core to around the same clock speed. This is NOT a game of chance - two identical cards WILL overclock similarly. The card that isnt overclocked will overclock just the same as the one that is already overclocked. There is no card that cannot overclock well - it just dosent exsist.

Buying an OC edition is the biggest waste of money in graphics cards.

Have to disagree with that. While it may not be cost effective and while you may be able to do it yourself, you are NOT guaranteed for speeds that your card isn't rated and tested for.

So yeah, it may work for you, but if you want an overclocked card guaranteed, you should get one that is sold and guaranteed overclocked.

Have to disagree with that. While it may not be cost effective and while you may be able to do it yourself, you are NOT guaranteed for speeds that your card isn't rated and tested for.

So yeah, it may work for you, but if you want an overclocked card guaranteed, you should get one that is sold and guaranteed overclocked.

Of course its guaranteed.

The same card will overclock to the same clock speed. There isnt some magic way in wich they can overclock it in the factory and that u cannot in ur own home.

You have NO idea what ur even saying.

A 7900 GT can overclock to 800Mhz if u have the proper cooling solution. The cooling is ALL that is limiting u in terms of overclocking, compared to the manufacturing process of said card, of course. So saying that an OC can get u from 500Mhz to 525Mhz and so its a good idea is the stupidest thing in the world!

I dont care how much u disagree, but i will not have u telling people this stupidity.

There is NO reason to buy an OC edition of any card, unless u want to waste ur money.

Not when it's 14 dollars more for a guaranteed, warrantied, stable overclock. Get off the hyperbole, and put the epeen back in your pants.

Not when it's 14 dollars more for a guaranteed, warrantied, stable overclock. Get off the hyperbole.

Guaranteed - Its ALWAYS guranteed.
Warrantied - Yeh, like a 5% overclock is really worth the extra money.
Stable - You think they have some magic way to make it more stable? You can overclock it urself and i assure u that it would not be less stable.

Seems to me like many people here are afraid of overclocking.

Its OK people! You can come out of ur hiding, overclocking is not dangerous or difficult.

Guaranteed - Its ALWAYS guranteed.
Warrantied - Yeh, like a 5% overclock is really worth the extra money.
Stable - You think they have some magic way to make it more stable? You can overclock it urself and i assure u that it would not be less stable.

You appear to be unfamiliar with the concepts of rational discussion and logical thought. Please unplug your computer before you hurt yourself further.

You appear to be unfamiliar with the concepts of rational discussion and logical thought. Please unplug your computer before you hurt yourself further.

Im giving u proof and that makes me less logical/rational?

Maybe u should go back to ur bible camp, u reek of stupidity.

Of course its guaranteed.

The same card will overclock to the same clock speed. There isnt some magic way in wich they can overclock it in the factory and that u cannot in ur own home.

You have NO idea what ur even saying.

A 7900 GT can overclock to 800Mhz if u have the proper cooling solution. The cooling is ALL that is limiting u in terms of overclocking, compared to the manufacturing process of said card, of course. So saying that an OC can get u from 500Mhz to 525Mhz and so its a good idea is the stupidest thing in the world!

I dont care how much u disagree, but i will not have u telling people this stupidity.

There is NO reason to buy an OC edition of any card, unless u want to waste ur money.

Its not stupidity, its simply a fact.

If you buy a card that is not sold overclocked, and if you have problems getting to run overclocked, will that person be able to call the manufactuerer and say "Tracker said that it's guaranteed!" Yeah, right.

Don't some cards that are sold with higher clocks come with better cooling? Doesn't that then tend to make the card more exspensive? Yeah, I have not idea what I'm talking about.

Of course the overclock will probably work with the right setup and all, but that still does not in any way shape or form guarntee that the overclock will work. To state otherwise is simply not stating the truth.

Its not stupidity, its simply a fact.

If you buy a card that is not sold overclocked, and if you have problems getting to run overclocked, will that person be able to call the manufactuerer and say "Tracker said that it's guaranteed!" Yeah, right.
Overclocking is not hard. You're not going to have any problems. Just open up ATI Tool and let it do all the work. Thats why people like W1zzard created it!

Don't some cards that are sold with higher clocks come with better cooling? Doesn't that then tend to make the card more exspensive? Yeah, I have not idea what I'm talking about.

So ur saying that OC cards arent worth it? I agree.
But the cooling that it comes with is still crap. Only cooling that u install by urself is actually good - in most cases.
Of course the overclock will probably work with the right setup and all, but that still does not in any way shape or form guarntee that the overclock will work. To state otherwise is simply not stating the truth.

An overclock that u do by urself does not have less chances of working. I cant seem to get u to understand that..
So ur saying that he should spend more money for a 5% overclock that has a 0.0001% better chance at being stable?

Buying an OC card is like paying 50$ extra on a 1000$ TV for them to take the TV in a shopping cart 10 feet for u. Its worthless, because u can just push the shopping cart urself that 10 feet, and ur not going to risk anything.. well u have a 0.0001% chance of something going wrong. And also because why am i paying them 50$ for something like moving it 10 feet.. i mean i need to move it another 100 feet just to get it to my car.

God, you're obtuse. 14 dollars for an overclocked card is good value. Your moronic analogies are a joke. Nobody said overclocking is hard, yet you keep mentioning how easy it is. Do you like arguing with yourself?

The question is whether the value of what was purchased in this thread is worth the opportunity cost, in this case 14 bucks. If you can't get that through your head, stop posting.

God, you're obtuse. 14 dollars for an overclocked card is good value. Your moronic analogies are a joke. Nobody said overclocking is hard, yet you keep mentioning how easy it is. Do you like arguing with yourself?

The question is whether the value of what was purchased in this thread is worth the opportunity cost, in this case 14 bucks. If you can't get that through your head, stop posting.

All u can do is cuss at me. Does that make u feel better about urself? Well, in any case..

Explain to me how spending 14$ for something that u can get for free is a good idea.. hmm, doesnt look like u can. At the same time, try to explain to me why ur such a fucked up jackass who knows nothing about computers.

MooseEdit: That little tantrum got you 3 days in the shoe. Please learn some respect for other members. There are ways to prove a point without resorting to asshattery.

So ur saying that OC cards arent worth it? I agree.
But the cooling that it comes with is still crap. Only cooling that u install by urself is actually good - in most cases.

So what about overclocked cards that come with water cooling? They are all crap?

An overclock that u do by urself does not have less chances of working. I cant seem to get u to understand that..
So ur saying that he should spend more money for a 5% overclock that has a 0.0001% better chance at being stable?

These are made up numbers and you have absolutely no way to prove this.

What I can state without doubt is that if you overclock and it doesn't work, you are not guaranteed results. That's simply a fact. Even if you're numbers are correct, you are still not guaranteed results, plain and simple.

Most of the people hear overclock CPUs and/or GPUs, as do I. Yes. most of the times you can even overclock overclocked cards, and its not a big deal.

But you are pretty much saying that no stock overclocked card has advantages over their non overclocked counter parts, and that's simply not true.

Not every graphics card will have the same performance characteristics, not even the same brand card. That's simply the variability of the manufacturing process. Overclocked cards are tested (that's why the manufacturer guarantees them) at the rated speed. Non overclocked cards are not usually tested beyond stock speeds because the manufacturer isn't usually going to guarantee speeds beyond stock. That's simply how the process works.

So I say once again, yeah, you can overclock, but you're not guaranteed anything. It may work, it may not, and while you can usually squeeze something out of GPU, you may not get a stock speed part to perform as well as an overclocked part. That's just the way it is.

So while you may be wasting your money, you are guaranteed the extra performance in the overclocked part. If it doesn't work, you can get another part or your money back. Now you could possibly do the same with an non overclocked part. Try to overclock to a certain level, it not work, get another part, and then actually get a part that will take the overclock.

So to sum up, if you think its a waste of money, okay. But for you to actually guarantee overclocking performance of a GPU, any GPU, well, really, that's a big stretch don't you think?

If you got Vista x64 then a overclocked version might be worth it because of the problems OC'ing your gpu with the driver signing thing. The new Atitool does not work with x64 vista.

If you got Vista x64 then a overclocked version might be worth it because of the problems OC'ing your gpu with the driver signing thing. The new Atitool does not work with x64 vista.

Last I heard, it doesn't work with the normal 32-bit either, though I may be out-of-date on that front. You would then need to do a BIOS flash on the video card, which many aren't at ease to do.

Arguing that a pre-overclocked card for a tiny price difference is a waste of money is like arguing that buying a larger size soda at a place that may or may not offer refills is a waste, when you're really thirsty ;). It's silly NOT to get the guarantee that your needs will be fulfilled and covered. I know it's hard for you to get it through your nubile brain at this point, but overclocks are not guaranteed at all, realistically or otherwise, on any computer part. You also DO void the warranty on most, if not all, brands.

To the OP: I have a "normal" eVGA 8800GTS 640MB card that I bought a few months ago and LOVE. I've had it flashed to 621/2000 (core/memory) for awhile, and it runs beautifully. You may have more head-room if you want to try to overclock your card further, but the stock clocks on the Superclocked edition are pretty generous regardless. Enjoy it... these things are awesome :D!

Sorry this is off topic, but if Tracker is who I think he is, he may also be going by the handle "Track" over at the TGForumz. If in fact it is one and the same person, it's next to impossible to convince him about anything so everyone can just save their breath right now. ;)

To the OP: Congrats on your purchase! I so wanna take the plunge myself but am restricted by my wallet. :( Hopefully when I have money over the summer I'll be able to get something nice then! :cool:

OK Tracker is right about some of what he says, however saying that OCing a graphics card is a guarantee, I cant possibly see how you can say that, its simply not true.

I have been OC'ing things since before the Celeron 300A fun and that was what? 7 years ago+? In that time I have OC'd easily 15 graphics cards oon my own personal machines, and at least that many on other machines, and I assure you, all cards are no created equal. I have seen 3 or 4 of the same card and while some would OC just insane high, some will only OC a couple mhz.

Comparing it to paying $50 is a HUGE stretch, as $14 and $50 are WAY different numbers, and saying its "maybe a 5% OC" well, that math is off as well. 500 is the stock core clock, The SC version is 575, which is over 10%

Dont get me wrong, I understand what you are trying to say, but its only $14.
Is there a 90% chance that the non SC version would run that fast? yup. But again, its $14. Not a huge wallet crushing amount.

Who else here finds it hilarious that he says "OCing is a guarantee, you can definately get the same speed from every card" Then tells someone ELSE they know nothing about computers.
He needs to tell that to my 2 7800GTs. Before running them in SLI, I ran them separetely for about a week each to test them out. One OCd wonderfully, the other, it would only push a little beyond stock. I would love to hear his explaination of that. This was the SAME rig, same exact config. Same exact model cards, using the same exact drivers. I even bought the cards at the same time, from the same place. You cant get much more of an apples to apples comparison than that. Yet their OC capabilities were VERY different. Not that it mattered, I put them in SLI right after the testing and ran stock clock speeds anyway.
There is no such thing as a guarantee in overclocking. Thats the reality. And while its a very safe bet that a non SC card will do SC speeds or beyond, if I can pay $14 for a guaranteed over 10% increase, then hell, why not?

OK Tracker is right about much of what he says, however saying that OCing a graphics card is a guarantee, I cant possibly see how you can say that, its simply not true.

I have been OC'ing things since before the Celeron 300A fun and that was what? 7 years ago+? In that time I have OC'd easily 15 graphics cards oon my own personal machines, and at least that many on other machines, and I assure you, all cards are no created equal. I have seen 3 or 4 of the same card and while some would OC just insane high, some will only OC a couple mhz.

Comparing it to paying $50 is a HUGE stretch, as $14 and $50 are WAY different numbers, and saying its "maybe a 5% OC" well, that math is off as well. 500 is the stock core clock, The SC version is 575, which is over 10%

Dont get me wrong, I understand what you are trying to say, but its only $14.
Is there a 90% chance that the non SC version would run that fast? yup. But again, its $14. Not a huge wallet crushing amount.

But another factor is that not all of the superclocked cards are stable and some have to be underclocked. It's not guarantee that it will work overclocked, they are just charging you the extra $$ for them to set the clock speed at 575.

But another factor is that not all of the superclocked cards are stable and some have to be underclocked. It's not guarantee that it will work overclocked, they are just charging you the extra $$ for them to set the clock speed at 575.

I did have this experience just that it was not with an evga card. I had a Gainward 6800GT GLH Edition. It was rated at 400/1200 but it could not pass the ATITOOL artifact tester at that speed after a few months of usage.

Last I heard, it doesn't work with the normal 32-bit either, though I may be out-of-date on that front. You would then need to do a BIOS flash on the video card, which many aren't at ease to do.

AtiTool worked for Vista x32 when I tried it, just not x64. I wouldn't advice a bios flash if you care for your warranty or plan to sell the card when you upgrade later.

I have gone through 8 (eight) Nvidia cards in the last three years

XFX Geforce 6600
BFG Geforce 6800GT
XFX Geforce 7800 GTX
EVGA Geforce 7800 GTX
EVGA Geforce 7800 GT CO
EVGA Geforce 7800 GT CO (2)
XFX 7600 GS
EVGA 8800 GTS (currently)

I can tell you that overclocking is not (NOT) a guaranteed experience, and a factory overclock can definitely be worth it.

For example, my 6600 went from 300 on the core to 550, no sweat and it was a lot faster nice. My BFG 6800GT came with a very slight factory overclock of 375mhz, but it couldn't go anywhere near most other 6800 GTs which could easily break 400mhz. XFX 7800 GTX and EVGA 7800 GTX were both crappy overclockers.

My "seriously" factory overclocked cards were the EVGA 7800 GT COs and they were almost as fast as my GTXs in benchmarks, indistinguishable in gameplay. They were basically overclocked past 7800 GTX speeds. That was definitely worth the money, as a lot of peoples 7800 GTs would not go so high.

My 7600 GS would not overclock 1 (one) megahertz, even with seriously upgraded cooling.

To people who say overclocking is guaranteed, I say you don't know what you're talking about. Sure, I have yet to see an 8800 card not reach at least 600 on the core and 900 on the memory, but the point is that nothing is guaranteed. When the price difference between a stock and factory overclocked card with a decent guaranteed speed bump is only $14, it would be kind of retarded not to buy the overclocked card when you're thinking in terms of performance per dollar. Add in the fact that overclocking is currently MIA in many versions of Vista, and you've got a sweeter deal. Add in the fact that companies are binning their cards according to clock speeds, and you're more likely to get a better maximum overclock out of a pre-overclocked card than you are out of a bone stock card when both are selling at the same time. The price difference is usually low enough to make it an obvious decision.

You're free to disagree, but I seriously doubt some of the more annoying people in this thread *cough*Tracker*cough* have half as much experience as I do when it comes to these things. No need to crap on some guys thread who is just happy about a serious upgrade (seriously, nice :)) I'll leave it at that.

But if it wont run at advertised speeds, the RMA process is a LOT easier.

It either works as advertised or it doesnt, if it doesnt, it goes back, and I dont have to call them and lie to get it RMA'd

If the normal version wont overclock to SC speedss, I got a card that works perfectly.
If the SC version wont run SC speeds, its a defective card, its that simple.
Which do you think will be easier to RMA?

Is EVGA binning out 8800GTS cards, selling the better OCers as Superclocked? Or are they just randomly clocking some cards higher and selling them?

I assume they can get a report from NVDA on how the chips tested electrically, but maybe NVDA doesn't like to give that out?

I wonder if they even test the Superclocked cards at the rated speed before selling them?

But even if the clock ability is random between the EVGA models, there's still a reason to buy the Superclocked for just a bit more - and that's resale, plus ease or RMA if it can't hit the rated speed.

Is EVGA binning out 8800GTS cards, selling the better OCers as Superclocked? Or are they just randomly clocking some cards higher and selling them?

I assume they can get a report from NVDA on how the chips tested electrically, but maybe NVDA doesn't like to give that out?

I wonder if they even test the Superclocked cards at the rated speed before selling them?

But even if the clock ability is random between the EVGA models, there's still a reason to buy the Superclocked for just a bit more - and that's resale, plus ease or RMA if it can't hit the rated speed.

They just randomly pic a card, superclock it, then ship it and hope it works. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

They just randomly pic a card, superclock it, then ship it and hope it works. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Do you work at EVGA or have they made a statement saying this?
Because I am very sure thats not the case.

Although yes, I am aware that some arent running well superclocked. Which in itself is proof alone that Tracker has no idea what he is talking about.

I have had my Evga Superclocked card since january and I haven't been happier. Right now it's clocked 612 core 2016 memory 1458 shader domain and it's running solid as can be. I run the fan @ 85 % and it never gets over 72C while running Fear or Stalker for many hours. Excellent performing graphics card and I have no regrets switching over to Nvidia after 6 years of ATI. Drivers work great for all games and I am in gaming heaven. By end of summer/early fall I hope the prices have dropped such that I will be able to add another one. Have a great day and I hope you get a nice long life out of your new 8800 Superclocked.

AtiTool worked for Vista x32 when I tried it, just not x64. I wouldn't advice a bios flash if you care for your warranty or plan to sell the card when you upgrade later.

Cool, good to know. As far as the flash, I kept a backup of the original BIOS, so I can put it back later easily :)... it's really no different than software-overclocking it but on a different level :D. Plus, you can manually set the shader domain this way.

I have had my Evga Superclocked card since january and I haven't been happier. Right now it's clocked 612 core 2016 memory 1458 shader domain and it's running solid as can be. I run the fan @ 85 % and it never gets over 72C while running Fear or Stalker for many hours. Excellent performing graphics card and I have no regrets switching over to Nvidia after 6 years of ATI. Drivers work great for all games and I am in gaming heaven. By end of summer/early fall I hope the prices have dropped such that I will be able to add another one. Have a great day and I hope you get a nice long life out of your new 8800 Superclocked.

Nice... I run my eVGA 8800GTS at 621/1450/2000 (core/shader/mem) and love it too :)... mine's a "normal" one, though. These cards really are screamers, I enjoy mine too :D!

Considering purchasing the exact same card myself. Just not sure the money is worth it over a X1950XT 256mb.

Back