Just ordered my Dell UHD 24 Monitor UP2414Q

For sure, it is a great monitor. I'd have a lot of fun with it too if I had it. :)

I found what you are looking for in the manual.. you can download the manual yourself, it's page 11 or here's a cut and paste of it.

pic_zpsf4627a3d.jpg

I just received my unit. Well packaged, quality stand, beautiful panel. Hooked it up and was playing with the settings and after a few minutes the touch buttons become unresponsive and the right side of the screen goes crazy. Checked the cables and everything is good so I power off and back on again. Same thing happens. Any one else having this issue? Doesn't matter whether or not I have dp 1.2 enabled, changing any other of the display settings doesn't seem to do anything to help. Also, I noticed a single bright/stuck pixel in the center area of the screen. Am I just unlucky or what? :mad:

I just want to add that I have had the split screen problem that you have had. I have a replacement monitor inbound from Dell as we speak but my gut tells me it is more to do with my video card(s) handling MST. I've been in contact with EVGA as well. I'm running SLI 780 Ti's btw.

I've had my bios screen spilt, windows 8.1 desktop split into 2 separate resolutions. Early adopter problems....

I've tried multiple cards, cables, drivers, bios's.... now gonna try a different screen. Something tells me that card partners are going to have to send out updated bios's

I think mine might be a problem with the panel itself since it works for a little bit and then falls apart after 3 - 7 minutes. I've got updated drivers on the 680 in the build in my signature, and also updated the drivers on my mac book pro retina running both osx and windows 8.1. Both connected in MST mode have the same issue. I guess it could be drivers, but I do also have that one bright pixel in the middle of the screen so I've got Dell sending me a replacement. I guess we'll see what happens. Other than that, I really love the pixel density. It's almost like my 13" retina laptop or a high ppi phone, but a whole 24" of it. I hope the next panel comes in perfect.

ok. as previous poster said you can set the DP back to off and the scaler works properly. However 2560X1600 and 1440p only show up as 30hz. I made 2 custom resolutions at 60hz and they both work perfectly, it's looks a little grainy as it's not the native resolution but it's what you would expect. Should be interesting to see how far we can overclock this monitor. I might try that tonight I may not.

they should add a way in a future firmware to do the switch between DP modes automatically. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult...say set it for a minimum refresh rate, and if it falls below 60hz, then to change modes, only when changing resolution modes of course.

Last edited:
I lost any interest I had in this display the minute I read it's a 16:9 display.

I just want to add that I have had the split screen problem that you have had. I have a replacement monitor inbound from Dell as we speak but my gut tells me it is more to do with my video card(s) handling MST. I've been in contact with EVGA as well. I'm running SLI 780 Ti's btw.

I've had my bios screen spilt, windows 8.1 desktop split into 2 separate resolutions. Early adopter problems....

I've tried multiple cards, cables, drivers, bios's.... now gonna try a different screen. Something tells me that card partners are going to have to send out updated bios's

Did the Dell representative give you a hard time when you explained the half screen issue? I had trouble explaining that particular problem to them (in India) but they went ahead and set me up with a new monitor since I had a bright/stuck pixel. I hope our next panels fair better than the ones we're sending back.

Did the Dell representative give you a hard time when you explained the half screen issue? I had trouble explaining that particular problem to them (in India) but they went ahead and set me up with a new monitor since I had a bright/stuck pixel. I hope our next panels fair better than the ones we're sending back.

I actually had a hard time getting the guy to understand that when I was saying Displayport cable that I wasn't talking about a cable that goes into a port which outputs display . The rep had no clue that there was such a thing as Display port. He kept asking what cable I was using...

On to the real topic... So my issue remains the same. The new monitor will not wake from a long cold boot. I have to power cycle it a couple times after a few seconds of the backlight coming on and shutting off. I imagine it will also randomly split the screen. I'm now 95% certain that Nvidia 780 ti's (likely a whole host of other cards) need a some sort of bios revision in order to properly use this monitor. I have tried 2 different 780 ti's ( I have sli) and both exhibit the same behavior. It is possible that my motherboard(MSI z87 Gaming) plays a part too.

I fired my U3011 back up after about 2 weeks of being dormant and boy was I taken back again by it's size. What was more obvious to me was that I already have become accustomed to the PPI of the UP2414Q and don't want to revert back.

one I've had happen twice is the monitor doesn't want to power down to sleep mode. Also had to power cycle the monitor twice with messing around with resolution changes.

Other than that it has been pretty stable...my video card doesn't push it as well as I would like, but that's to be expected.

So yeah I just did it again...MST don't like it when you mess around with resolutions.

SST is fine.

With 2,160 vertical pixels, is not having 16:10 that big of an issue? :confused:

But it's still a 24" display. You can have 2.160 vertical pixels but in practical uses like reading a MS-WORD document in two pages mode (side by side) in order to have a letter size comfortable enough for reading said 2160 vertical pixels don't mean anything.

But it's still a 24" display. You can have 2.160 vertical pixels but in practical uses like reading a MS-WORD document in two pages mode (side by side) in order to have a letter size comfortable enough for reading said 2160 vertical pixels don't mean anything.

Are you speaking from experience? I guess it would depend on what you feel is 'comfortable' at the distance you're viewing the screen. Even though I probably wouldn't ever need to, I can read two word documents side by side 'comfortably' on this screen at my normal viewing distance of ~24" or more. 16:9 on 4K is very different than 16:9 1080. Ask me how I know.

That's only if you assume you need to pixel double this display. I doubt you do. The default 1920x1080 ppi is very low, only 92 or so. "effective PPI" of up to 125 should be reasonably comfortable for anyone, something like a 150% scaling setting in Windows. So you do end up with more effective real estate on this display... unless you really want pixel doubling for some reason.

Holy bejebus this display is gorgeous. 24"4K is amazing.

Doing some tests checking for PWM, tried just about every exposure, ISO, shutter speed stills, and also video test (30 FPS).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k3BIIXQdFY&feature=youtu.be

Either the display has zero PWM, or the frequency is really high. (Tested display brightness of 0). I couldn't get the line to separate, which is a good thing.

That's only if you assume you need to pixel double this display. I doubt you do. The default 1920x1080 ppi is very low, only 92 or so. "effective PPI" of up to 125 should be reasonably comfortable for anyone, something like a 150% scaling setting in Windows. So you do end up with more effective real estate on this display... unless you really want pixel doubling for some reason.

I've found that anything less than the max native setting looks like crap. So unless your rocking double or tri SLI ti's, your gaming experience is less than what you will see on a 25X16 or 1440p monitor and even then the video cards arn't quite there.

the lower resolutions (from what i have tried) with DP turned off all looked washed out...even thou I have already overclocked the display to 85hz with no problems. I have noticed with the DP turned off that there is a "jumpy ness" as well with moving images in game. Might be just the games I tried or whatever but hey. but there is no "jumpy ness" at native...it's just you know, need more video card power.

Basically from my 30 hours of testing so far you have to leave this monitor in native graphics mode...if you do it's the most beautiful thing ever. I've been thinking about what's the point of 8k.....no matter what I do i can't see any dots at 4k, so what's the point of 8k, but I digress.

So my analysis at this point is that i will use this monitor for all my desktop stuff...which is quite a bit...but I think after the newness wears off I will use my U3011 for hard core gaming till either I get a video card that can drive 4k or get a gsync 27" TN for gaming in the Q2.

I have the advantage of having a spare [email protected] with a GTX 680 so i can throw this monitor on that.

Oh man, just when I thought I had a perfect display. At low brightness settings, I've noticed the screen start to randomly flicker. :mad:

The monitor can go nice and dim, but obviously there is some issue with the backlight control at low brightness settings. Will play around with it a little more before returning it.

Oh man, just when I thought I had a perfect display. At low brightness settings, I've noticed the screen start to randomly flicker. :mad:

The monitor can go nice and dim, but obviously there is some issue with the backlight control at low brightness settings. Will play around with it a little more before returning it.

That sucks...tried it on mine to see if it did the same thing and its fine.

man this monitor is so gorgeous to work from the desktop....

I may never game again <GRIN>. I haven't been able to setup my U3011 because this thing is so pretty to use.

What's the AG like? I've got a Dell 3011, and a Crossover 27Q, I don't know if I'm interested in purchasing another Dell with their AG.

This might be a weird question. Am I suppose to turn off the monitor after used or leave the light pulsating?

This might be a weird question. Am I suppose to turn off the monitor after used or leave the light pulsating?

This is a known issue with this monitor (already) when it tries to go to sleep mode, mine does it too. I have been turning it off because i don't know what's going on with it, and the pulsating light would drive my OCD crazy <GRIN>. You can turn the light off in the menu BTW, but it still does that pulsating thing, so it has to be a bug. Hopefully will be fixable with a firmware update.

Some earlier poster said something about it.

What's the AG like? I've got a Dell 3011, and a Crossover 27Q, I don't know if I'm interested in purchasing another Dell with their AG.

I have a U3011 as well...and this one is way better. It is one of the things done right, I would go as far to say the glare is the best I have ever had. Great blacks and whites...way better than the U3011, I could stare at it all day without any eye strain. Can't say that about the U3011. My main problem with the U3011 was how it hurt my eyes after a while,

the main problem with this monitor is it doesn't like changing resolutions...you WANT to leave it at native, with DP 1.2 enabled. lower resolution modes just look straight up ugly.

Can anyone turn their monitor brightness down to zero and use it for a few hours and see if you see any slight backlight flickering (slight changes in backlight brightness)? Just wondering if I have bad sample or if there is a design issue with it.

Can anyone turn their monitor brightness down to zero and use it for a few hours and see if you see any slight backlight flickering (slight changes in backlight brightness)? Just wondering if I have bad sample or if there is a design issue with it.

I did try it a bit after your earlier post...and mine was fine. I'm going to watch big bang theory and elementary now so I'll turn it down to zero and run it at that till the shows are over.

Get back to you after they are done.

Ok cool. Remember, the brightness change/flicker is very slight.

On another note, does anyone know how to get chrome to not look like ass with 4K? Windows 8.1 looks awesome on this monitor with proper high DPI scaling, but chrome text looks abysmal.

EDIT: Just tried IE 11, looks awesome. Can't believe Chrome would be handling high DPI so incredibly poor.

On another note, does anyone know how to get chrome to not look like ass with 4K? Windows 8.1 looks awesome on this monitor with proper high DPI scaling, but chrome text looks abysmal.

EDIT: Just tried IE 11, looks awesome. Can't believe Chrome would be handling high DPI so incredibly poor.

yeah..don't worry....I browse the whole time while watching. And yea...chrome needs some work...the tabs don't work right in MST either...all get scrunched to the left side thinking its one monitor if you had the browser on one side of the screen...if you have the browser over the middle it sees it properly, took me a while to figure that one out. I have been using IE as well...works perfectly. Most programs are fine...just chrome looks screwy.

So far perfect btw.

So what DPI setting are you using for the Dell monitor?

well, that's about 2 hours...not one flicker. Sorry...well I'm not sorry for me, but sorry for you.

you'll have to try the different cable/video card/or comp now I guess.

I would try it on another computer if you are able.

back up to 30 brightness for me

So what DPI setting are you using for the Dell monitor?

200% for me. For now anyway. Just toying around with it.

As far as the brightness flickering Vega was experiencing. I just turned my monitor to zero and immediately decided it is too dim to even care if there was a flicker issue.

It's doing the flickering on the left 2/3rds of the screen at low brightness levels, not just zero. It's a shame, as this monitor is pixel perfect and is absolutely gorgeous to view. I can confidently say this is the best looking computer display I've ever seen. Look's like there is some troubles with the back-light circuit. I will try the normal sizes DP port instead of the mini-DP input, but I doubt that will change anything.

It's doing the flickering on the left 2/3rds of the screen at low brightness levels, not just zero. It's a shame, as this monitor is pixel perfect and is absolutely gorgeous to view. I can confidently say this is the best looking computer display I've ever seen. Look's like there is some troubles with the back-light circuit. I will try the normal sizes DP port instead of the mini-DP input, but I doubt that will change anything.

What are the setting to get the best pictures?

I agree that this display is absolutely awesome to look at, I just wish I didn't have that one bright pixel. I'm still having the half screen glitch along with a lockout of the OSD controls so my sample probably isn't one of the better ones that some people have received (derkspector!).

My replacement is still 'in production' so I'll have this panel for a little while longer and will check out that backlight flickering issue later this afternoon. At what brightness do you have it set at for the flickering to start?

Back