Just ordered my Dell UHD 24 Monitor UP2414Q

I've just spoken to Dell. UK orders are currently shipping in 5-7 days, with delivery in 10 days. Which means they're out of stock in the UK.

Can someone run the Microsoft VS and see if it's usable at default resolution? Thanks.
And what about PWM? Thanks.

I forgot to add: it only comes with a 1 metre miniDP to DP cable so if your PC is at the side of the desk you'll need to buy a 3 metre cable.

well...got it...sure is small. thing is rock solid frozen right now so going to leave it alone to warm up.

You do know it's only rated to -20C / -4F for storage and shipping? I sure hope yours hasn't been damaged by the cold.

Leave in the warm for at least 3 hours this new piece of machinery if you don't want to damage it. Six hours would be even better just to be sure.

well...got it...sure is small. thing is rock solid frozen right now so going to leave it alone to warm up.

Do not take it out of the box, or at least leave it in a plastic bag until it is at parity with ambient temperature. That way any condensation gathers on the box/bag, instead of on the monitor or its electronics.

Yeah...I live in northern ontario...it was -37C today ;p I did take some pictures before opening the box...not a scratch on it. It's been about 2 hours now and I think all the condensation is gone.

ok. got it working...don't see any dead pixels yet....feels weird thou to be using a different monitor. mouse movement feels so slow.

ok. got it working...don't see any dead pixels yet....feels weird thou to be using a different monitor. mouse movement feels so slow.

It struggles through a forest of PPI every time you move it. :D
Can you please tell me how do Word, Excel or Microsoft Visual Studio look like? Are they usable? Also - does it have an sRGB preset? Thanks.:)

Last edited:
Yeah...I live in northern ontario...it was -37C today ;p I did take some pictures before opening the box...not a scratch on it. It's been about 2 hours now and I think all the condensation is gone.

-37:eek: The record here in the Netherlands is -27,4 :D

Can you tell me what's the coating like, is it semi glossy, or very agressive? How are the colors and contrast?

no sRGB preset. I checked out some spreedsheets in google docs under windows 8.1 and they looked great...I zoomed in and out and I could make out letters even extremely small.

Colors and contrast are quite high at default. I will have to set it back a bit after. The question about the coating I would say it's not semi gloss at all. More like an older monitor. But don't hold me to the coating as I don't have to much experience in that.

I'm rather tired as I couldn't sleep as I was too anxious for the monitor to come in.

The simple answer to the word and excel question is....you can't see the dots of the screen no matter how you try. so it pretty much comes down the whatever font you are using.

no sRGB preset. I checked out some spreedsheets in google docs under windows 8.1 and they looked great...I zoomed in and out and I could make out letters even extremely small.

Colors and contrast are quite high at default. I will have to set it back a bit after. The question about the coating I would say it's not semi gloss at all. More like an older monitor. But don't hold me to the coating as I don't have to much experience in that.

I'm rather tired as I couldn't sleep as I was too anxious for the monitor to come in.

Thanx and I know that feeling ;)

The simple answer to the word and excel question is....you can't see the dots of the screen no matter how you try. so it pretty much comes down the whatever font you are using.

Thanks. Congrats on your purchase. :)
I'll buy it too for sure if prices in my country correspond to the recommended ones. And if there is no PWM. It is for sure the best display for text work. With such PPI.
Also post as much impressions as you can about practical use of it - that would be appreciated. ;)

I am also extremely curios to know how the lower resolutions work. For example, according to the Monitor' User's Guide, it supports 2560x1440@60hz resolution. How does it look? Does it look blurrier than on a normal 30"?

What is your manufacturing date? Mine is November 2013, Wierd it tooks so long for shipping.

I just received my unit. Well packaged, quality stand, beautiful panel. Hooked it up and was playing with the settings and after a few minutes the touch buttons become unresponsive and the right side of the screen goes crazy. Checked the cables and everything is good so I power off and back on again. Same thing happens. Any one else having this issue? Doesn't matter whether or not I have dp 1.2 enabled, changing any other of the display settings doesn't seem to do anything to help. Also, I noticed a single bright/stuck pixel in the center area of the screen. Am I just unlucky or what? :mad:

whoa..that's hardcore. No mine that I got today is fine. It does some weird things changing resolution thou, I've had it stop dead like twice and I have to turn the monitor on and off again. But granted that's me screwing around with the scaler.

IMG_20140108_030350_zps7b93738c.jpg

cmon, how is 2560 1600?:rolleyes:

I tried playing dota 2 on this monitor....I'm so used to 25X16 and 16:10, I kept screwing up moving around the screen. Thinking about it I've used 16:10 for what...15 years now at least.

I have a feeling after the newness wears off I might keep it for my browsing and just use my 30" for twitch gaming. And the fact that even my 780 can't do the 3d decently at 4k resolution.

That and the scaler is garbage in this thing....you pretty much have to leave it at the default native resolution. But if you leave it at that default it's the most beautiful screen ever.

I tried playing dota 2 on this monitor....I'm so used to 25X16 and 16:10, I kept screwing up moving around the screen. Thinking about it I've used 16:10 for what...15 years now at least.

I have a feeling after the newness wears off I might keep it for my browsing and just use my 30" for twitch gaming. And the fact that even my 780 can't do the 3d decently at 4k resolution.

That and the scaler is garbage in this thing....you pretty much have to leave it at the default native resolution. But if you leave it at that default it's the most beautiful screen ever.

That's why I ask - gaming on default res is not possible even with 3 titans, according to online benchmarks. So setting it to 2560x1600 is the only option to play most games more or less smoothly. Or even lower. Except for maybe Skyrim.
http://udteam.tistory.com/585

Now I'm particularly interested in better understanding why you said that
the scaler is garbage in this thing....you pretty much have to leave it at the default native resolution. But if you leave it at that default it's the most beautiful screen ever.
It is garbage why - because it blurs the image at 25x16? Or it doesn't scale? If it doesn't scale, - you can use the NVidia control panel scaler which works perfectly (at least as far as I know). Please, clarify this for me. Thank you.

I haven't played around with the Nvidia control panel to much. But unless you intend to play Skyrim in a window aka, not full screen the scaler straight up don't work on DP. You end up with just a small rectangle in the middle of your screen where the game plays. The work around people have been doing is using the HDMI connection, but of course the problem with that is you have to change that manually on the OSD whenever you want to change back to full rez 4k since HDMI can only do max rez at 30hz.

I have a feeling this one will end up being my putter around monitor (70% of what i do online) and I'll wait for one of those 27inch+ 1440p TN gsync 1ms monitors that are coming out in q2 for a gaming one.

I'm not even sure maxwell when it comes out will be able to run one of these at max settings....really before there time in a lot of ways.

So you're not thinking of getting a second 780 to play at 4K?

Ok. For NVidia CP scaler:
On left of the NVidia control panel: "Display" - "Adust destop size and position "- choose "perform scaling on GPU " on the small drop down menu - then check "Full-screen " option above it. You may also check the "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs".
It can't be easier than that. Usually it works 100%. But maybe on this new display it doesn't.

Still interested to know how the 25x16 looks and if it is blurry or not comparing to the default 30"25x16 monitor...

So you're not thinking of getting a second 780 to play at 4K?

not yet anyways....it's only what 12 hours here so let me play with it a few weeks first.

but I intend to wait for maxwell for my next video card. I don't play shooters anymore anyways. the only game that I play that needs FPS is dota. I grew up on turn based RPG's so i tend to gravitate more to those games.

Thou that starbound game is damn additive...crafting/roguelike games are the next big thing I think.

well 25X16 will looked stretched. it's 16:10..this monitor is 16:9. you would have to run it in a window or have black borders on either side.

anyways...giving it a try

I just received my unit. Well packaged, quality stand, beautiful panel. Hooked it up and was playing with the settings and after a few minutes the touch buttons become unresponsive and the right side of the screen goes crazy. Checked the cables and everything is good so I power off and back on again. Same thing happens. Any one else having this issue? Doesn't matter whether or not I have dp 1.2 enabled, changing any other of the display settings doesn't seem to do anything to help. Also, I noticed a single bright/stuck pixel in the center area of the screen. Am I just unlucky or what? :mad:

First, update you graphics drivers and change to DisplayPort MST mode.

You are propably driving the monitor in SST mode. Change to MST-mode (tiled mode).

Current 4K monitors do not support 4K@60Hz in SST mode, but require that the graphics card sends the imate in two parts (2x1920x2160@60Hz aka tiled mode), after which they can show the image as a single 4K@60Hz image (nVidia surround and AMD Eyefinity

See http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displa...w/Setup-Process-AMD-and-NVIDIA-Dual-HDMI-Test

no dude..did all the settings you wanted me too....here's what happens at 19X10.

don't mind the flash!
IMG_20140108_074859_zpsfbd422c9.jpg

It is my understanding that nVidia currently doesn't support GPU scaling for displays running in MST mode. I have heard reports in some other forums that both of the new Dell 4k displays will scale both the DisplayPort and HDMI inputs, however only when the DisplayPort input is in 1.1 mode (SST) which limits the refresh rate to 30 Hz when running at 4k resolutions.

However you should be able to go above 30 Hz in SST mode if the resolution is reduced. In theory it should be possible to run the desktop at 4k @ 30 Hz and run games at 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz full screen in SST mode but I don't know if anyone has tested that yet.

It looks like based on the experiences in this thread so far that the chipset that Dell used in these monitors does not support scaling in DisplayPort 1.2 MST mode and reverts to 1:1 scaling.

It is my understanding that nVidia currently doesn't support GPU scaling for displays running in MST mode. I have heard reports in some other forums that both of the new Dell 4k displays will scale both the DisplayPort and HDMI inputs, however only when the DisplayPort input is in 1.1 mode (SST) which limits the refresh rate to 30 Hz when running at 4k resolutions.

However you should be able to go above 30 Hz in SST mode if the resolution is reduced. In theory it should be possible to run the desktop at 4k @ 30 Hz and run games at 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz full screen in SST mode but I don't know if anyone has tested that yet.

It looks like based on the experiences in this thread so far that the chipset that Dell used in these monitors does not support scaling in DisplayPort 1.2 MST mode and reverts to 1:1 scaling.

There in an earlier post that says this too...to lazy to try it right now....having fun watching dota 2 live games in 25X16 window...I think your right thou.

Yeh man, I like you too. With such a monitor. :D

It looks like the scaler doesn't work either way....

I asked about 2560x1600 because it should be well supported by the display.
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-prod...t_Display/dell-up2414q_User's Guide_en-us.pdf
page 11

like the other poster said...if I change the DP mode to the other one I might be able to do it. either way you need to go back and forth on the OSD.

Right now I'm just enjoying the monitor....haven't found bad pixel yet...

Back