Just ordered my Dell UHD 24 Monitor UP2414Q

Actually with linux twinview is exactly how it should be setup. He should also be using:

Option "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo" "1"

Which makes it show the OS thinks its only a single monitor or if using multiple monitors use:

Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride" "XXXXXXXXX"

To set manual dimensions of the monitor seams if using multiple MST displays which AFAIK can't be done in windows right now due to the driver hacks it does to do the spanning in the first place.

Thanks, I wonder if you can help me get this setup. I've updated to trusty and I've got v331 of the nvidia drivers up from 313 where I was.

I still have the dual screens. Below is my x config. I think I need to fix the metamodes but unsure how best to do that based off a few searches.

Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo" "1"
#    Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-4.8"
    Option         "metamodes" "DP-1.8: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0, DP-1.9: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Thanks, I wonder if you can help me get this setup. I've updated to trusty and I've got v331 of the nvidia drivers up from 313 where I was.

I still have the dual screens. Below is my x config. I think I need to fix the metamodes but unsure how best to do that based off a few searches.

Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo" "1"
#    Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-4.8"
    Option         "metamodes" "DP-1.8: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0, DP-1.9: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Usually the twinview xinerama info is enough to do but on newer drivers that may not work. When I had multi monitor on a single GPU (instead of multi GPU for T221 + others) I used the no xinerama info option but I upgraded drivers when I switched to a single gtx 670. For a single monitor try:

"TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride" "3840x2160+0+0"

For dual displays (twinview over 4 displays) I would do:

"TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride" "3840x2160+0+0, 3840x2160+3840+0"

I have T221 (3840x2400 via 2x 1920x1200, a seiki 39 inch (3840x2160) and a 30 inch dell (2560x1600) and I use this twinview xineramainfooverride setting for X to think there are 3 displays even though its 4 outputs:

Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride" "3840x2400+0+0, 3840x2160+3840+0, 2560x1600+7680+280"

It won't scale unless you plug the monitor into your graphics card (er, other way around) using HDMI. No scaling over MST yet.

so if there isn't a scaler built in, i wonder what the input lag is like

Scaling probably works in SST mode too on this monitor. I don't know of any MST monitor that supports scaling yet... but there is no reason that Nvidia couldn't implement GPU scaling in the driver, their drivers already support GPU scaling it just doesn't work with MST for whatever reason.

Scaling probably works in SST mode too on this monitor. I don't know of any MST monitor that supports scaling yet... but there is no reason that Nvidia couldn't implement GPU scaling in the driver, their drivers already support GPU scaling it just doesn't work with MST for whatever reason.

It works on linux if you set it up correctly as I have done scaling over two DVI links before in order to scale 2880x1800 (maximum resolution that command and conquer would run at) to 3840x2400 on an old IBM T221 but I bet it will be a very long time before the windows drivers will handle it correctly.

Can we get anymore gaming impressions? Right now I am suffering away with a 1080p Eizo and I am dying for a 4k display, but I gotta be strong and hold out for the 28" version or the 39" Asus!

I just got my UP2414Q today.
Things I like so far.
+ The display is super sharp. But this is what I would expect of 4K!
+ The Display build quality is very nice. It definitely has the premium feel to it. Build quality wise, I like this new Dell the best. This is compared with the following monitors I have owned or used extensively.
> NEC 2690WUXi ( << this monitor was well built, but to the usual industrial style found on Eizo or NEC monitors.
> Asus VG248QE
> Dell 2005FPW
> Dell P1913 at the office << Those are really budget and you can feel it.

+ The touch sensitive OSD menu were easy to use.
+ The packaging was interesting. Almost 100% cardboard except for the corners which had some foam.
+ Windows 7 with 150% scaling seems usable.
+ The Display worked out of box. Display Port 1.2 had to be enabled manually. However, the OSD menus are very easy to use. I am using a AMD R9 290 video card.

- 24inch (well 23.8 inch) has very high PPI. I have already ordered a M8 arm mount for mine as currently, I am sitting about 2 1/2 ft away from it.

Last edited:

Thanks, this confirms my educated guess about the sizing with 150% scaling, and what I've seen said elsewhere from people who have the monitor.

Photoshop UI still seems to be the sticking point, as the icons don't scale at all.

- 24inch (well 23.8 inch) has very high PPI. I have already ordered a M8 arm mount for mine as currently, I am sitting about 2 1/2 ft away from it.

I take it you're planning to bring it closer than that?

I just got my UP2414Q today.
Things I like so far.
+ The display is super sharp. But this is what I would expect of 4K!
+ The Display build quality is very nice. It definitely has the premium feel to it. Build quality wise, I like this new Dell the best. This is compared with the following monitors I have owned or used extensively.
> NEC 2690WUXi ( << this monitor was well built, but to the usual industrial style found on Eizo or NEC monitors.
> Asus VG248QE
> Dell 2005FPW
> Dell P1913 at the office << Those are really budget and you can feel it.

+ The touch sensitive OSD menu were easy to use.
+ The packaging was interesting. Almost 100% cardboard except for the corners which had some foam.
+ The Display worked out of box. Display Port 1.2 had to be enabled manually. However, the OSD menus are very easy to use. I am using a AMD R9 290 video card.

Pics & games!!

I am not a graphics expert... but a few observations.

1. Monitor is very good looking, solid
2. In Windows 7, I configured it for text to appear at 150% which looks great (the 100% is too small), but some games appear blurry with this setting. SO, I need to undo/redo this config (which requires logging off each time). A bit annoying.
3. Graphics are beautiful.
4. When I ran Call of Duty Ghost at 3840x2160 it looked and played very well, but my dual GTX 780Ti card fans sounded like jet engines....and my Slade Digital Storm PC was supposed to be quiet!

Anyway, happy to answer any questions etc... but love the monitor. Highly recommend it.

34ijyo9.jpg
vhdav4.jpg

But so far, unable to do so. I set a custom configuration (see screen shot), it tested and worked, but somehow I can't save it. Any advice? The screen looks great and I don't detect any flicker, but I've read here that DisplayPort will work at 60Hz-- do I need MST, and if so, what is the best way to do this?

1e2d60.png

All I read is what's here...that you have to set it up on the monitor's OSD.

If mine ever get's delivered I'll be sure to figure it out. SNIFF

yes, had to use the monitor menu to change to DisplayPort 1.2. That did it instantly. It's now 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz.

How is the IPS glow on this monitor? Could anyone sit about 1.5 feet away, with a decent camera with no flash and take a picture with a black image in a dim room?

Glad others are enjoying this monitor. I still haven't had much time with mine yet, but I still love it when I sit down to use it.

Good lord, I got a tracking number...being shipped from the states so won't see it till the end of next week. But who cares....just seeing that tracking number makes me happy.

Good lord, I got a tracking number...being shipped from the states so won't see it till the end of next week. But who cares....just seeing that tracking number makes me happy.

When did you order yours? Mine is still showing a Feb 4th delivery date. :confused:

Mine is also shipped. Ordered on 12/20 with estimated 1/31 delivery. Hopefully they didn't rush and qa poorly.

I played with the Dell UP2414Q and more specifically, its scaler.

+ The display can scale 1920 x 1080 30Hz and 60 Hz to full screen mode unlike what some have said.
~ The scaler performance is acceptable. It definitely isn't as sharp as native 1920 x 1080 on a 1920 x1080 display, but its reasonable if you crank up the brightness.
- Catch 22 however is that 1920 x 1080 30Hz and 60 Hz input can only be done either with HDMI input or if display port 1.2 is NOT enabled. (i.e. disable MST.) With MST disabled. Using either HDMI or disabling DP 1.2 limits 3840 x 2160 to 30Hz only.

How agressive is the anti glare coating on this guy's?

I'm very tempted to get this screen. Automatic SSAA/Downsampling-effect (2x2) is nice :)

Tracking # update...mines in Toronto now. Depending on the roads, which are insane at the moment here in the great white north, and I am very far north, I should have it tomorrow.

And lord I love my run on sentences...go to hell Mrs Durrant, the teacher who failed me 3 times for grade 10 English. Well technically twice...as the third time I walked into class the first day...saw it was her teaching it....and left the class.

Back