Just ordered my Dell UHD 24 Monitor UP2414Q

LOL, should've kept quiet.
Just had my first wake-up failure (wouldn't wake up from sleep) in 2 weeks.

LOL, should've kept quiet.
Just had my first wake-up failure (wouldn't wake up from sleep) in 2 weeks.

I also had no issues with UP2414Q when I switched to GTX 970 but after several weeks the problems came, coldboot issues, screen gets split in 3 parts etc etc. The worst thing is the high amount of IPS glow.

I regret I bought this monitor. Now I have trouble selling it, I put an ad and the only offer I got was at $270 but I paid $750 for this crap, I will lose so much cash if when I sell it.

I feel that my new Philips monitor is better then Dell.

I don't know when exactly it happened, but the Nvidia drivers now allow rotation when driving the UP2414Q at 60Hz. I am using 340.52 (I have not tried the latest on Nvidia's site, 341.21).

I plugged a UP2414Q into a retina iMac. It works, and displays at 60Hz after you enable DP1.2, but Mac OS X does not offer the option to rotate the display. The rotation option only appears in 30Hz mode. However, the shareware program SwitchResX gets around this and lets you rotate the screen even at 60Hz.

Possibly, the same will be true for other Macs.

Although SwitchResX on the Mac lets you rotate the UP2414Q at 60Hz, it produces an odd effect after a restart. You get only a small rectangle in the middle of the monitor, the screen somehow being scaled down. A workaround is to go back to portrait orientation and then ask SwitchResX to rotate the display again. It looks like I'll have to do this dance after each reboot.

A few years ago I switched from the UP2414Q to 5k and then 8k monitors at work, but having to work from home means I'm again using the UP2414Q. This time I am driving it from a Dell M6400 laptop. This has a Quadro FX 3700M video card and has DisplayPort but not a new enough DisplayPort to drive 4k at 60Hz refresh. It will however work at 30Hz. Anyway, I found that I could overclock the refresh rate slightly to 31Hz using Nvidia Control Panel and defining a custom resolution. Unfortunately, if going any higher like 32Hz the monitor's firmware rejects it.

I was also reminded of the trick mentioned earlier in this forum of turning off vsync to reduce the apparent choppiness of the lower refresh rate.

I have Dell's dock for this laptop, which provides two DisplayPort outputs rather than the single output on the laptop itself, but so far I have not been successful in driving two 4k screens from it.

Some more notes on overclocking this monitor. The firmware lock that restricts it to 30Hz (or at most 31Hz) seems to only apply at full resolution 3840x2160. You are free to create custom resolutions with different refresh rates. Using Nvidia's tool, and just entering pixel size and refresh rate (leaving the defaults for all that CRT timing stuff), I've been able to get 3720x2160 @ 42Hz (still non-interlaced) using this old video card. That's confirmed by the monitor's on-screen display. It has a few flickery artefacts at this refresh rate (thin horizontal bars of pixels that appear and disappear) but a slightly lower 40Hz appeared usable in a quick test. That might suggest that with a more moden PC supporting DisplayPort 1.2, overclocks beyond 60Hz are possible, as long as you don't mind losing a small amount of pixels on the long side. (In the monitor setup you need to set aspect ratio to 'auto resize').

What I can't work out is how to select my custom resolution once I have tried it out and saved it to the list of custom resolutions. It doesn't then appear as an available choice in the main Change Resolution dialogue box, either in Nvidia Control Panel or in the normal Windows resolution changer. Moreover, the Customize button which I was using a moment ago is now greyed out. What's going on?

For the time being a workaround for the Nvidia Control Panel is to test the custom resolution and during the 15 second test period, kill the control panel process. The monitor will be left at the chosen res. Currently running 3720x2160 @ 39Hz. There is an occasional glitch so I might reduce the refresh rate a bit. But with vsync turned off it's pretty responsive.

I've upgraded to a Dell M6800 laptop, which has a K3100M video card. I'm pleased to report that this drives the UP2414Q at full res and full refresh, and the glitches I remember from a few years ago have almost entirely disappeared. It will also drive two 4k monitors at full whack from the dock (the other one being a more modern 4k screen), which seems to suggest the earlier limitation of Nvidia drivers that used up two available outputs for a UP2414Q may have been fixed. (Or it could be that the K3100M is able to drive four outputs anyway, even though there are only two DP connectors on the dock.) I've not been successful in overclocking past 60Hz, but I think this is because the Nvidia drivers silently cap the refresh rate.

Hopefully this ends my "adventures" with the UP2414Q and this series of posts. It seems to be fairly problem free nowadays, which wasn't the case back in 2014.

Back