Just ordered my Dell UHD 24 Monitor UP2414Q

Heh Golden - everyone else I know has issues with 340.43 (including the Dell community forum thread).

I do run dual monitor though. One output goes to my AVR which I need to get 7.1 audio.

Maybe you have no other video outputs? Your monitor never goes on standby? Your PC never goes to sleep?

Heh Golden - everyone else I know has issues with 340.43 (including the Dell community forum thread).

I do run dual monitor though. One output goes to my AVR which I need to get 7.1 audio.

Maybe you have no other video outputs? Your monitor never goes on standby? Your PC never goes to sleep?

I use a single display via displayport 1.2 for this computer, I don't let it sleep (I turn off the monitor if I'm done with it, and have a screensaver otherwise), and no, it doesn't go onto standby on its own ever.

BTW I've been doing some 4K gaming:

1) Enslaved works *perfectly* at 4K after editing some .ini files. 60 fps throughout. Great game too.
2) Mass Effect 1 also works perfectly - of course, the game is from 2007/2008. :)
3) Mass Effect 2 works pretty well - framerate dips below 30 once in a while but is mostly above 50. Not a big deal since it isn't twitch!
4) Unreal Tournament 1999 works perfectly of course.
5) Bulletstorm goes under 30 and it is jarring when the framerate changes from 50 to 30 quite frequently. Ended up playing most of it at 1080p, with the Dell upscaling it. Luckily, any input lag wasn't noticeable.

EDIT: Both Mass Effect games have been modded with 4K character texture packs. Looks *awesome* on a 4K monitor.

Last edited:
Thanks Golden - that makes sense. I haven't yet gotten into the habit of turning off the monitor manually.

I've had the PC crash when the monitor has a corrupt display and I power cycle the monitor too quickly! Ooops. I have to remember to turn off the monitor, wait about 5-8 seconds, then turn it back on. This avoids PC crashes for me!

Do you use a special window manager that can preserve window locations? Sometimes Windows screws up and resizes all my windows - usually when it wakes from sleep, but also occasionally when I power cycle the monitor.

Do you use a special window manager that can preserve window locations? Sometimes Windows screws up and resizes all my windows - usually when it wakes from sleep, but also occasionally when I power cycle the monitor.
I would suggest using Winsplit Revolutions, awfully practical to do the window placement using hotkeys on the keyboard.

@GoldenTiger - The issues were precisely with the sleep, so no wonder you're having no issues :)

Anyway, since reverting to 337.88, i've had much less lockups, but this version seems to have a different issue - namely, instead of the monitor locking up, my PC reboots at wakeup every now and then.

Between that and the spontaneous factory reset i experienced, i've gotten sufficiently annoyed to contact Dell's local Facebook customer relations account and get them to try and find me someone in tech support to talk to.

decryphe: Yes, I am using that - it doesn't help with the spontaneous window resizing after waking from sleep - I still have to manually resize the windows, even if I'm using winsplit. :)

Winsplit is still somewhat limiting - it doesn't work on applications that do not handle high-DPI properly (like Steam and some other older apps).

340.52 is a disaster.
Sleep is a no go and i sometimes have to boot twice to get EITHER of the screens to initialize (Dell fails to wake up, then the gfx card goes nuts due to botched handshake, then both screens go dark).

Ugh that sucks. I just installed win8.1 and 340.52, but I'm having issues with win8.1 waking up from sleep 10 seconds after I tell the PC to sleep. Stupid 8.1 issue probably related to Wake-On-Lan that was not an issue in 7/8. Once i fix that I'll try testing the monitor again.

I did notice the monitor wouldn't wake up properly when I was fooling with the multimonitor configuration. This is not good.

I have a bad feeling that NVIDIA will abandon the UP2414Q - they're probably sick of this monitor!

Hi I have a question for Dell UP2414Q owners.

I heard that this monitor does not have a built it scalar, does that mean it is possible to overclock this monitor past 60Hz Through Displayport w/ pixelclockpatcher?

This procedure did NOT work for my UP2414Q. Maybe those with the 32" one can make use of it:

http://jmswrnr.com/blog/the-firmware-issues-of-dell-up3214q-and-up2414q-a00-monitors/

Worked for me.
The instructions are a little ambiguous - button 1 does not quite blink. Or, rather, it does but not the way you expect it to. All the buttons light up in sequence, as they normally do, but the last one (button 1) turns off and then on again (once).

You can then tap it to access the factory menu.

In any case, the author of the post says his first monitor had 1003R, his upgrade had 1019R, while mine has 1104R.

It appears the first two numbers are region dependent.

Thanks for the tip! With UP2414Q turned off, I held 2,4,6 - it did its light sequence (1 to 6),waited with the buttons still pressed, and then all the buttons stayed lit.

Looks like mine is 1122R.

Been doing some testing of my Benq XL2411Z monitor. I can verify that Game Mode on the Dell UP2414Q does seem to work. Discovered it when multimonitor is enabled in Windows, and I move a window that overlaps both monitors. Using any other preset besides Game Mode and I can see the Dell's input lag!

I thought Game Mode was just colors, but it does improve lag processing. I can't tell by the naked eye, when using the Benq as a reference, when game mode is on.

The colors are oversaturated in Game Mode, but I guess I can live with that.

Last edited:
Another update with regards to input lag: I find that, while game mode seems to reduce input lag a lot, other modes may also get this reduced input lag sometimes. I haven't quite nailed down a procedure, but it seems if I notice lag in the other modes (like putting it in ColorSpace->SRGB mode), if I switch to Game mode and back to SRGB, the input lag sometimes remains reduced.

So, what I did is I reprogrammed the top two buttons, where the top button always selects the Game preset, and the button under it selects SRGB. This seems to make the reduced input lag "stick" more easily when back in SRGB mode.

This is with A00 firmware btw.

Ya the new 5K display looks like it will replace my trusty UP2414Q. It's been good to me though!

The UP2715K uses two separate DisplayPort inputs. I am guessing that each one is a single stream - not the MST trick used by the earlier 4k monitors. So you will still get two separate halves of the screen, but these will be seen by the video card as two separate outputs. Better or worse than having two halves over a single DisplayPort output? My guess is that the PC video drivers will have some issues letting you combine the two halves into a single logical display, but the monitor itself will have less scope for bugs. After all the IBM T221 had two or even four separate inputs tiling the display and didn't have many issues with the monitor firmware.

The UP2715K uses two separate DisplayPort inputs. I am guessing that each one is a single stream - not the MST trick used by the earlier 4k monitors. So you will still get two separate halves of the screen, but these will be seen by the video card as two separate outputs. Better or worse than having two halves over a single DisplayPort output? My guess is that the PC video drivers will have some issues letting you combine the two halves into a single logical display, but the monitor itself will have less scope for bugs. After all the IBM T221 had two or even four separate inputs tiling the display and didn't have many issues with the monitor firmware.

Actually, 5K @ 60 Hz is so demanding that it will require both streams on 2x DP. MST is a result of crappy-low end TCon's, proper chips could utilize full DP1.2 bandwidth outside of MST mode. This is how the ROG Swift operates. G-Sync chip is basically a high end DP 1.2 TCon.

Been doing some testing of my Benq XL2411Z monitor. I can verify that Game Mode on the Dell UP2414Q does seem to work. Discovered it when multimonitor is enabled in Windows, and I move a window that overlaps both monitors. Using any other preset besides Game Mode and I can see the Dell's input lag!

I thought Game Mode was just colors, but it does improve lag processing. I can't tell by the naked eye, when using the Benq as a reference, when game mode is on.

The colors are oversaturated in Game Mode, but I guess I can live with that.

Yep, it's visibly and readily obvious to me, as I posted a long time back, when game mode's input lag reductions are engaged. I too noticed you can toggle modes back and forth and it usually sticks while then reapplying the normal color settings.

Putting them on the quick keys for the monitor makes it easy to do 1-2 times to fix prior to a gaming session, albeit a little annoying, much less so than manually doing it through the menus like I was.... thanks for the idea!!

On my panel the colors become a little undersaturated if I use just plain game mode, though I can adjust to compensate for that mostly. Looks great still and for color work I simply turn standard mode back on.

Last edited:
So currently I have a Dell UP2414Q. Now, currently since I have a 780 GTX I'm using displayport 1.2 off the card and it has to use MST to stitch to images together basically to make it 4k. So it basically makes the card use two ports up in a sense and I can only connect 2 more monitors instead of having my normal 4 monitor set up. With the 980 GTX supporting HDMI 2.0 in theory will I be able to just hook that into the monitor and not have to use MST and be perfectly fine and be able to use 4 monitors again?

This article mentions the new 5120x2880 UP2715K, but also talks about two new 4k monitors:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/218657-dell-showed-off-some-new-and-announced-monitors-in-china/

The two new 4k monitors are apparently the P2715Q (27 inch) and P2415Q (24 inch). I wonder how the latter compares to the existing UP2414Q? The 'P' rather than 'UP' on the model number suggests that Dell marketing is branding it as a slightly less upmarket product; that might mean a TN panel instead of IPS, or it might not mean anything.

I expect that the P2415Q will support 3840x2160@60Hz over a single stream connection, without the MST hassle that's necessary with its older brother. Let's hope it is just as good in other respects...

I wonder if the UP2715Q (5K) monitor will use the newly released DP 1.3?? Would be much better than having two DP 1.2 cables for ONE monitor!

This article mentions the new 5120x2880 UP2715K, but also talks about two new 4k monitors:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/218657-dell-showed-off-some-new-and-announced-monitors-in-china/

The two new 4k monitors are apparently the P2715Q (27 inch) and P2415Q (24 inch). I wonder how the latter compares to the existing UP2414Q? The 'P' rather than 'UP' on the model number suggests that Dell marketing is branding it as a slightly less upmarket product; that might mean a TN panel instead of IPS, or it might not mean anything.

I expect that the P2415Q will support 3840x2160@60Hz over a single stream connection, without the MST hassle that's necessary with its older brother. Let's hope it is just as good in other respects...

The new displays are likely IPS sRGB.

I wonder if the UP2715Q (5K) monitor will use the newly released DP 1.3?? Would be much better than having two DP 1.2 cables for ONE monitor!

Not enough time. DP 1.3 spec was just finalized, there will be no TCon's out for it by the time the 5K launches IMO. It's already been stated it has 2x DP 1.2.

Not enough time. DP 1.3 spec was just finalized, there will be no TCon's out for it by the time the 5K launches IMO. It's already been stated it has 2x DP 1.2.

I think ill wait for 1.3 to become common before getting anything higher than UHD.

Excellent write-up! Certainly explains why we can't update the firmware ourselves. Also - that board design is horrible!

But there's still no other monitor with the same panel? So we are stuck with Dell's rather crappy implementation if we want a 24 inch 4k display.

timecop, note that the NVS 510 won't support more than two UP2414Qs. Or at least it won't drive them at 60Hz. A single UP2414Q with MST counts as two 'screens' for this card, and it can only support four 'screens' in total, so you can only drive two of them from one card. Sucky, I know.

Having two NVS 510 cards in the same system seems to work well enough (they do not draw much power) but my second card is driving some DisplayPort-to-DVI converters, so I can't say for certain that three UP2414Qs would work.

epa, I think NEC is using the same 24" panel. I *think* it is available in Europe now. Also, the announced Dell 2415Q should be the same panel heh.

Back