Just ordered my Dell UHD 24 Monitor UP2414Q

Yeah if I hook up the HDMI then it will go down to 1080p or whatever else I want to give it. I was just bummed out that I can't go to 1080p with MST enabled.

Yeah that drive revision seems about right for when 1080p was no longer allowed. I tried finding a program to hack the EDID but I wasn't successful when I found one that I thought worked.

I can say that since moving to a 6ft cable, I have had zero problems with this monitor. I have had to bring it in to my face a good dead closer than I was anticipating before the purchase, since keeping lots of screen real estate comes with a cost of tiny font, but obviously I could bump up scaling/DPI if I wanted to set it further back.

You must need like triple sli 780's to run any game at max settings with this resolution right?

You must need like triple sli 780's to run any game at max settings with this resolution right?

The answer to that question is..... it depends.

I returned my 4 780ti's and bought 3 GTX Titans used. I wanted the extra vRAM. It has helped in Skyrim and some other games (Watch_Dogs, Sleeping Dogs, ...)

Just list the games out you want to play, but generally if it is a DX11 game and you want to run with some AA you'll need 3 cards and some vRAM on the side.

Ok I've been playing around with the HDMI input. I'm not noticing the input lag as much through HDMI and at 1080p with scaling enabled (I have the Aspect Ratio set to Auto-Resize, Preset set to Color Space).

I don't know if the NVIDIA 337.88 drivers has anything to do with this. Anyone have a chance to test input lag yet, when using HDMI @ 1080p@60hz?

Eventually I'll have to get a 2nd monitor with known input lag, and put the PC in clone mode to see if I can see a difference...

Yeah, I'm getting used to powercycling the monitor now and then. The image is pretty fantastic.

Hmmm I thought you could right-click on a program's executable and apply custom scaling settings on it? I thought that was an option in win8.1 but I could be wrong.

houkouonchi: Oh, you can get the GPU to upscale 1080p games to 4K fullscreen with the Dell (using MST)?

Nah, the only option I see is to "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" which doesn't affect it :( unfortunately. This issue + input lag/sluggishness has me set to sell my panel unfortunately along with photoshop not scaling at all... Shame because I love the thing otherwise, top-notch quality and the pixel density is amazing for games and every other program I use in Windows. I did find a font size tweak (I think I mentioned it earlier) for Maya that helps significantly though, which may be enough... gonna give it a good workout today and see if I find it usable efficiently. Photoshop is a much larger pain since it can't even have its font size changed for menus, and while I use keybinds for most everything it's unable to scale things like layer previews much at all or color swatches etc. EDIT: Decided to keep it at this point given the below findings. :D

Also, I have to ask, is there some way to make the desktop cursor more responsive? It feels sluggish even though in games it works fluidly and seems pretty responsive, not as much as my X-Star DP2710 @ 96hz/110hz did but still quick on input lag. On the desktop however (200% scaling) it just feels floaty. This is a major issue to me almost moreso than the small scaling problems I'm running into.

EDIT: Turns out the "game mode" while sacrificing a very slight amount of color accuracy, has noticeably snappy response and seemingly no perceivable input lag, unlike the default mode. It's an immediately obvious difference that I am shocked I didn't try to seek out before :p. The lag was also turning me off of the monitor other than the few scaling problems, but thinking of just putting up those programs until they're fixed now :eek: ). I found an OCN user mentioning it and ONE review mentioning it at all, but those two were spot-on.

Last edited:
Interesting results Golden! What if you change the Preset to Colorspace (pick sRGB or AdobeRGB) and see if the input lag is still gone?

This is one weird monitor - I noticed input lag at 1080p straight away, but other times, it seems to be mostly gone. I haven't figured out why that happens.

One other test I do is to rightclick on the desktop - the menu fades in. Then I press and hold the right mouse button again to see how quickly it erases the context menu. If the input lag is low it is virtually instant.

Yes, if you go Menu -> Color Settings -> Preset Modes -> Game then it turns off some kind of colour calibration. This probably isn't a problem if you have only one screen and you don't do colour-sensitive work - but it is noticeable if you have two UP2414Qs. Putting mine both into Game mode makes one of them look a bit bluer than the other. It helped to turn off Dynamic Contrast on both screens, but it didn't completely fix the problem.

Interesting results Golden! What if you change the Preset to Colorspace (pick sRGB or AdobeRGB) and see if the input lag is still gone?

This is one weird monitor - I noticed input lag at 1080p straight away, but other times, it seems to be mostly gone. I haven't figured out why that happens.

One other test I do is to rightclick on the desktop - the menu fades in. Then I press and hold the right mouse button again to see how quickly it erases the context menu. If the input lag is low it is virtually instant.

I've tried toggling back and forth and it is a definitive change (when actually applying the mode, if you just highlight it with the menu but don't hit the checkbox to apply it doesn't tweak the overdrive response time & input lag. I've tried it with the monitor tests on the ufo test site as well as in games and with various other little things like you mentioned. So far the game mode is keeping the input lag properly down as well as color settings between full power cycles at 4k 60hz, so I'm happy with it :). Weird monitor, though, indeed in some ways it seems...

Yes, if you go Menu -> Color Settings -> Preset Modes -> Game then it turns off some kind of colour calibration. This probably isn't a problem if you have only one screen and you don't do colour-sensitive work - but it is noticeable if you have two UP2414Qs. Putting mine both into Game mode makes one of them look a bit bluer than the other. It helped to turn off Dynamic Contrast on both screens, but it didn't completely fix the problem.

I've gotten it very close to the pre-set calibration with some manual tweaking including turning off dynamic contrast on my panel, except for professional photography work I think it's fine that way. The most color-sensitive work I do is texturing and it's just very slightly different between the color space Adobe RGB mode and the "game" mode with tweaks applied.

Got my UP2414Q yesterday and am very happy so far. Panel is perfect: no dead pixels, the least amount of glow I've ever seen on an IPS display. High resolution images are absolutely stunning on this thing.

Tried a couple games at 4k 60hz. Dishonored and Fallout 3 run just fine on my single gtx 780m 4GB (running same speed as desktop gtx 680). Was too afraid to run anything meatier, I'll wait until I get my 290x back to try that :) Can't wait to get a refresh of 20nm Maxwells to be able to practically run this thing on a single GPU.

The only issue I've encountered is I upgraded to Windows 8.1, and after the reboot my laptop would hang at the post screen while the DP was still connected. Had to disconnect, then reconnect to get into windows the all was ok.

Like many others, I encounter odd bugs on unlocking the PC after the monitor has gone to sleep. A workaround I have found useful is to temporarily set the display to 1600x600 resolution and then revert back to normal res. That usually fixes it. It helps to have another monitor connected so at least you can see what you're doing if the UP2414Q comes up blank.

In the end I plugged in a Mouse Jiggler device to prevent the PC from sleeping or locking (I can't just turn off the screensaver because of group policy settings). As long as the screensaver doesn't kick in the setup is solid enough.

The buggy monitor firmware isn't solely at fault - sometimes the PC itself will freeze on unlocking. This is with a pair of Nvidia NVS 510 cards. By the way, nobody has yet found a way to flash the newer firmware onto the UP2414Q? One of my monitors is a grey import so I can't get Dell to replace it under warranty.

epa, it is doubtful that we will ever be able to update our firmware. With that said - one of Benq's gaming monitors required you to buy a special device that plugged into the HDMI port to allow the firmware update to take place. It was a $50 device I think.

Any recommendations for a screensaver program which will display some animation on the displays so they don't go to sleep, won't lock the PC, and can be configured to require a keypress (not just mouse movement) to exit the screensaver? As mentioned, either the monitor firmware or the PC's display driver tends to get hosed when resuming from sleep, so I have stopped the Windows screensaver from kicking in by jiggling the mouse pointer every minute or two. However I would still like to avoid burning in an image of the taskbar 24/7. (LCDs don't suffer burnin as badly as CRTs, but they can still get it - I have seen it. It can usually be reversed, but only slowly.)

Thanks for the tip. That's a software solution to stop the monitor sleeping so it is no longer necessary to jiggle the mouse. I'll try it, and keep looking for something to blank the monitor (without turning it off) after a few minutes of inactivity.

Well, it turns out you can just run scrnsave.scr to blank the screen - and it doesn't lock the PC, even if the normal screen saver settings do that. The screen saver is exited on the first keypress or mouse movement.

I'm hoping that scrnsave.scr combined with Don't Sleep will let me avoid burn-in on my monitors without actually putting them or the PC into sleep mode. The one missing piece of the puzzle is to trigger scrnsave.scr automatically after a few minutes of inactivity (remember, I don't want to use the ordinary Windows screen saver mechanism because that also locks the PC and eventually puts the monitors to sleep). I expect there is some little utility to do that too.

Vsync is a general setting and affects 2d performance too. My UP2414Qs are at 60Hz, but I have some T221s at 31Hz and 24Hz. At those low refresh rates the mouse pointer is visibly choppy, but turning off vsync has helped so that now at 31Hz you wouldn't immediately notice anything different.

It could be that like an audiophile testing a new speaker cable I have primed myself to notice an improvement, and it doesn't really make any difference. But there are reasons to believe that turning off vsync will let the new pointer position be updated immediately rather than waiting for the start of the next scan.

The mouse pointer is normally the only fast-moving thing on the screen (I don't drag windows around much or do other graphical stuff) so I am pleased to make it more responsive and I don't care about increased tearing or the finer issues of frame synchronization when playing DVDs.

Hi everyone,

Has someone tried to enable GPU scaling in the catalyst control center with an AMD GPU to have the GPU upscale lower resolutions (1080p for games for example) to 4k without having to switch the monitor to SST?

Greetings

Hi everyone,

Has someone tried to enable GPU scaling in the catalyst control center with an AMD GPU to have the GPU upscale lower resolutions (1080p for games for example) to 4k without having to switch the monitor to SST?

Greetings

You can probably do this, but you are going to neex to setup EDID mask using ToastyX's CRU program. Just cut the resolution that you're trying to run in half and put them on each panel. Then use eyefinity custom desktop resolution to choose them.

EDIT: For 1080p give 960x1080 to each side. For 1440p 1280x1440. ETC.

Last edited:
Just an FYI: Using CRU or creating a custom resolution (like 1080p or 1200p etc.) in NVIDIA Control Panel does not work with this monitor in DP1.2 and NVIDIA cards - the driver or the NVIDIA control panel hangs, and the new resolution doesn't get listed.

This is as of 337.88 and 340.43 drivers.

You can probably do this, but you are going to neex to setup EDID mask using ToastyX's CRU program. Just cut the resolution that you're trying to run in half and put them on each panel. Then use eyefinity custom desktop resolution to choose them.

EDIT: For 1080p give 960x1080 to each side. For 1440p 1280x1440. ETC.
What I meant was to run the monitor in 4k all the time, and let the GPU do the upscaling from lower resolutions. See here: *link*
With a single screen it's no problem to do that, but I was wondering if this would work with an MST-screen like the Dell.

What I meant was to run the monitor in 4k all the time, and let the GPU do the upscaling from lower resolutions. See here: *link*
With a single screen it's no problem to do that, but I was wondering if this would work with an MST-screen like the Dell.

This iwll give you exactly that as long as you have gpu scaling enabled.

Whoa there - you better wait for confirmation from someone with an AMD card and this monitor!

I know for a fact that this does not work with NVIDIA cards because of MST. Putting the monitor into DP1.1 mode is pointless as that only supports 4K@30hz (so you'll only get 1920x1080p@30 hz if you let the GPU upscale it - however, I have not tried this yet myself on my geforce 670).

I would've waited for confirmation from an AMD owner and this monitor...

Awesome, then I can buy this screen without having to worry.

AFAIK the eyefinity groups are grouped using a couple of the modes available in the display but its random and automatically generated.

I think I could probably trick eyefinity into doing it by creating some custom EDID and insuring that all modes are stripped out and like the guy said put in the half width modes.

As far as I have seen this display is just like the 32 inch and I know for a fact that the 32 inch will gladly do monitor scaling over MST (taking non 1920x2160 inputs).

Its very easy to setup all these scaling in linux because you can explicitly set the modes yourself.

Does the power LED behave erratically for everyone when the monitor is in sleep, or is that just my sample?

By erratically i mean - instead of an even pulsation, it flickers like it's having an epileptic fit.
Like someone's superimposed random noise over the sine-wave pulsing.

Not sure i'm describing it right, i can try and make a vid if i'm not.

On mine, the light fades out slowly, then fades in, with regular smooth cycles, when my PC is in sleep mode.

Have you tried doing a full reset on the monitor? In the menus there should be some kind of reset to defaults setting. Then unplug the monitor afterwards for a minute, then plug it in and see if that fixes it?

Unrelated - my sample had noticeably uneven backlight whitepoint across the vertical axis...
The middle of the screen was some 300K warmer (eyeball estimate) than the top and bottom.

Turning on uniformity compensation helped, but didn't fix it all the way.

Today i've bought an X-rite i1Display Pro and let it do its thing, including uniformity test and (re?)compensation. Lo and behold, i'm now within 100K of 6500K across the whole screen area... Most of it is within 40ish K, the very corners are ruining it a bit (-30 to +70K).

Conclusion: factory calibration sucks. At least on this sample.

Other things of note:
- i've got an A00, made in November, which ain't surprising, considering UP2414Qs seem to be fairly rare here (Croatia)
- never had any flickering
- never had issues at PC wakeup
- never had split image issues or corruption in one half
- my OSD locked up once (completely unresponsive touch buttons, but they did beep when pressed), i had to turn it off and on to get it back (causing my icons and windows to randomly rearrange - extremely annoying)
- been running at 4k@60Hz since day one (2 days ago)

On mine, the light fades out slowly, then fades in, with regular smooth cycles, when my PC is in sleep mode.

Yeah, that's what mine is *trying* to do.
But instead of smooth cycles, it's ending up as spastic pulsing.

Have you tried doing a full reset on the monitor? In the menus there should be some kind of reset to defaults setting. Then unplug the monitor afterwards for a minute, then plug it in and see if that fixes it?

Tried, no dice.
Things like that (pulsing LEDs) are usually driven by a microcontroller and aren't under direct control of the firmware, so it was a long shot anyways.

I found a post on Dell's forums from someone with the exact same issue. Except their touch buttons were fried on top of that (completely unresponsive). I believe they RMA'd it. Mine seems fine, apart from the wonky pulsing.

I'm pretty OCD about stupid things like that, i guess i'll wait and see if it drives me insane enough.

Yeah hopefully nothing else will break. In that case you could put a piece of black tape on it!

I've had my OSD freeze up occasionally. Usually I get the half-screen breakups though. Darn it.

Wow, Dell's modified X-rite software just went full retard on me.

DSC_0146.JPG

And no, that's not a cable issue or even a firmware issue.
Stupid thing managed to corrupt the hardware LUT in the Dell while it was calibrating my other monitor. What you see has been written into my first LUT slot (Cal1). It didn't touch the other slot (Cal2), though.

Very very bizarre.

What makes it even weirder is the fact the other monitor (BenQ XL2420T) doesn't even have a user-accessible hardware LUT. No clue why it touched the Dell at all. Now i've seen it all - everything, just EVERYTHING Dell touches turns into a bugfest.

I also see the crappy flickering of the power LED when the monitor is sleeping. Looks like Dell trying to make a smooth Apple-like fading effect without the organizational quality control to back it up - I guess it must depend on some capacitor somewhere. Since nowadays I have stopped the monitor going to sleep (because of other bugs with sleep mode) I don't see that flickering any more.

Ah, good, so it's not just me.
Well, it's not good, i guess, but it makes me feel a tiny bit better about my sample.

My first thought was a dodgy capacitor too, but on further thought, that makes no sense. If there were no capacitor at all, the only thing that would cause would be for the LED to ramp up/down in a stair-case step-wise fashion (which it does with the flicker, actually). The random flicker seems more like some kind of weird EMI.

In fact, i've noticed that if i have the edge of the monitor with the OSD controls directly against the second monitor, the Menu button lights up randomly (due to interference w/ the capacitive controls). The opposite does not happen when the BenQs controls are against Dell's edge or anything else, though (they implemented it fine).

Had another bit of weirdness happen to me today, but i don't think it's Dell's fault this time.

It refused to wake up from sleep with the computer.
But the thing is - even after turning it off and on, Windows still couldn't see it. In fact, unplugging it and plugging it back in wouldn't help, nor unplugging and re-plugging the mains. I had to reboot for the graphics card (780Ti) to detect it again.

Sounds like NVIDIAs fault this time.
Might be due to beta drivers, i updated to beta yesterday.

Yeah I had those problems with the beta 340.xx drivers (340.43?). I had to roll back to the 337.88 drivers.

I think there is a regression problem with the beta drivers - I bet it is missing the workaround code for the buggy UP2414Q/3214Q models.

Yup, 340.43.
And i just had it refuse to wake up on me, then wake up with split image, so definitely seems like whatever they've patched around in the previous versions is missing in 340.

Also, out of curiosity, i've tried running X-rite's i1profiler instead of Dell's customized version.
The effect was... Pretty weird. It managed to crash the UP2414Q so badly (while testing ADC) it reset itself to factory defaults and erased both custom LUT slots.

Advice to people with an i1display Pro - DON'T use the original profiler, stick with Dell's Calibration Solution.

Thanks for the warning, 0rcinus - I have an old i1pro myself.

Oh - I had massive issues with the Dell monitor control software for the UP2414Q - it would freeze up my PC and I have to kill it with task manager a lot! Ugh. Had to uninstall it.

340.43 drivers have worked just as well as prior ones (basically flawlessly) for me with the UP2414Q, though I haven't yet tried a hardware calibration with it.

Also, I made a thread about scaling under Windows 8.1 for actual work environments, and gaming, over on OCN: http://www.overclock.net/t/1503874/addressing-scaling-on-windows-8-1-with-4k-displays/0_40 if anyone is curious how well 4K works at this size! I've now owned the UP2414Q for a couple of months.

Back