Just ordered my Dell UHD 24 Monitor UP2414Q

So there's no easy way to go from 4k 60hz to 1080P 60hz? That's almost enough to stop me from buying it. Is there any way to run 1080P games fullscreen easily?

AMD video cards might be able to scale, 'on the video card.'
I believe I read that nVidia will not scale on the video card.

My memory is less clear on this, but if you do a search in this thread you'll probably find it.

Thinking about picking up one of these monitors this week, pretty much purely for gaming. I am using AMD cards, can I play 1080P games at full screen on it? Obviously I will try to play everything at 4k, but not all games will support that I'm sure, especially indie games. So will 1080P be full screen? I've read yes and no.

1080p full screen works fine in SST with nVidia in Win7 and Linux Mint, haven't bothered to try with MST since I don't game on my PC much, and 4k gaming works.

I've played Diablo 3 and Deus Ex Director's Cut at full 4k resolution at very acceptable framerates and medium- to high settings (low AA, as it's not really needed at such high PPI). Well over 30fps, although probably not 60.

edit: tested and confirmed that 1080p doesn't work as full screen with MST on nVidia GTX 760 in Win7 - you're stuck with either 4k with MST (60Hz) or SST (30Hz), or 1080p with SST and the screen at full 4k-resolution, with the picture in a window in the center of the screen, and at 30 Hz.

4k MST doesn't work in Linux with nVidia, period.

Last edited:
Anyone else have backlight flicker that is noticeable with these units? Is that something that I can have swapped under warranty?

Lighting? The flickering only occurs at less than about 6% brightness, and only on the left hand side of the screen, and is only really noticeable on white or light backgrounds.

For both monitors, of different build months to have the exact same issue, I am 99.9% sure it's a design issue and all monitors will experience this. It is random and intermittent, so most may never even see it unless they do extended low brightness viewing like I do. Probably most people don't use brightness that low either, as I like to surf the web at night in a dim room. Since the monitor is zero PWM, it's most likely the DC inverter reaching its voltage threshold on the low end. They probably missed this during QC testing as it's so random and only under low brightness. For most people it won't be an issue.

Ah this is the issue I'm experiencing as well. It's only on the right side and only when brightness is at 0.

Has anyone managed to get the UP2414Q working at full refresh in portrait mode? I'm using it with a Nvidia NVS 510 card and it works with MST to get full res at 60Hz, but does not give me the option to rotate the display. I can only rotate it if I turn off MST and drop down to 30Hz refresh. Do AMD cards, or other Nvidia cards such as Geforce brand ones, handle rotation properly?

So I got a UP2414Q for $1075 with tax and the 5 year advance warranty.. not too shabby.

I get some hard locks with my GTX 670 when waking the display. It doesn't happen when I ONLY have my 1440p monitor plugged in via HDMI. This monitor on my GTX 750 Tis don't seem to have that issue, which is odd considering I thought it'd be more driver related. The display does have wake/disappearing issues (which is super annoying since all the windows resize under Win7 when this happens).

I thought it would be horrible for development work with the text size, but I actually got used to it pretty quickly and keep my editor open, a few consoles, and a browser. This monitor by itself is much better for productivity than the 3x 1680x1050 monitors they gave me at work.

I really wish I got the UP3214Q though, 140PPI is enough. I'm kind of regretting spending $1k on something that's not ideal.. and it does make even 3 GTX 670s cry for mercy with only 2GB of VRAM.. but STO models look really good at 4k, especially with pre-render res of 4800x2700. Star Citizen Hangar looks amazing, but frame rates tank due to VRAM -- I can't wait to try the dogfighting module, really going to need a couple big Maxwell cards to drive this thing. :)

Can anybody tell me if this monitor would be good for coding(working with text for 8 hours a day)?

I game rarely and would like to have it there for when I do, but only if its excellent for text too, excellent as in better than the majority of the 1200/1440p monitors?

Would be a big disappointment if the super high res worked the opposite way.

Thanks in advance.

Can anybody tell me if this monitor would be good for coding(working with text for 8 hours a day)?

I game rarely and would like to have it there for when I do, but only if its excellent for text too, excellent as in better than the majority of the 1200/1440p monitors?

Would be a big disappointment if the super high res worked the opposite way.

Thanks in advance.

Really depends on the person and how good their vision is. My dad is a full time developer and and used 22 inch 4k displays until his presbyopia got so bad he was starting to have trouble on defualt windows font sizes (he is 56 years old). The 39 inch seiki came out just in time for him as the pixels are quite a bit bigger and now he has no problems at all.

I also used the 22 inch for years as my only primary monitor and later as a secondary monitor on linux with X set at 75 DPI (font sizes even smaller than windows). I pretty much have no problems at all but I am still fairly young (28). Granted this was a smaller display and 16:10 so the DPI is a bit higher (203 PPI).

I do linux system-administration as well as programming in various languages (devops). I love the real-estate and have no problems with the text size and want things as small as possible to be able to see as much text on the screen at once as possible but most of the people i know would say 'how can you read it when the text is that small'

Really depends on the person in the end...

Really depends on the person and how good their vision is. My dad is a full time developer and and used 22 inch 4k displays until his presbyopia got so bad he was starting to have trouble on defualt windows font sizes (he is 56 years old). The 39 inch seiki came out just in time for him as the pixels are quite a bit bigger and now he has no problems at all.

I also used the 22 inch for years as my only primary monitor and later as a secondary monitor on linux with X set at 75 DPI (font sizes even smaller than windows). I pretty much have no problems at all but I am still fairly young (28). Granted this was a smaller display and 16:10 so the DPI is a bit higher (203 PPI).

I do linux system-administration as well as programming in various languages (devops). I love the real-estate and have no problems with the text size and want things as small as possible to be able to see as much text on the screen at once as possible but most of the people i know would say 'how can you read it when the text is that small'

Really depends on the person in the end...

Interesting, this is a pretty similar scenario we are in, what monitor are you using currently?

I am curious to see just how small you have your text, but I guess its pointless talking font sizes when all the other variables contribute.
As for your dad going from 22" to 39" it is good that it allows him to carry on coding and so on, but that's a massive change, if you/he believe it was the years of 22" and squinting that caused this, I wouldn't class the whole outcome as a win at all, I think it would severely change my perspective on my text size.

Last edited:
Interesting, this is a pretty similar scenario we are in, what monitor are you using currently?

I am curious to see just how small you have your text, but I guess its pointless talking font sizes when all the other variables contribute.
As for your dad going from 22" to 39" it is good that it allows him to carry on coding and so on, but that's a massive change, if you/he believe it was the years of 22" and squinting that caused this, I wouldn't class the whole outcome as a win at all, I think it would severely change my perspective on my text size.

We both know it has nothing to do with using the 22 inch for years. Your lenses harden as you get older which is what presbyopia is and it happens to everyone... Your focal area gets smaller and smaller and as you get older you need higher and higher powered reading glasses where again your focal point gets less and less when trying to view something at the same size.

It was getting unavoidable and the same thing will happen to me in another 12-15 years and I will start having to wearing reading glasses as well when using a computer.

Here is a picture from 2010 when I used a single 22 inch 4k display as my primary display at work:

It was taken with a fish-eye lense which caused some distortion but it should give you an idea of the text size from the mouse/keyboard sizes. To the right is a 7 inch EEEPC laptop/netbook. Like the second model that came out.

Also 3m39s into this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_mV2ode30

I drag a window from a vp2290b (3840x2400 display running at 1920x1200 due to being to far for me to read due to large space needed for my mouse) to a dell 3007-wfp (2560x1600) to a IBM T221 9503-DGP running 3840x2400. It really shows how the size of the window changes between the displays that are at or set to ~100 ppi -> 203 ppi.

Thanks for the picture its very informative. I think the text size is similar to how my current monitor is setup (1366 x 768 15") just with only one window on the screen. I can definitely see how productivity could improve. The length you have available in the middle forum shot would be great for programming. The extra 2" on the UP2414Q should allow for a slightly bigger text too I assume.

Thanks for the picture its very informative. I think the text size is similar to how my current monitor is setup (1366 x 768 15") just with only one window on the screen. I can definitely see how productivity could improve. The length you have available in the middle forum shot would be great for programming. The extra 2" on the UP2414Q should allow for a slightly bigger text too I assume.

Yeah, especially because its also 3840x2160 vs 3840x2400 so slightly less pixels as well.

Honestly for someone with decent eye-sight who doesn't mind small text I think it would work great. Of course I was the guy back in the CRT days that ran 1600x1200 on a 17 inch CRT or 2560x1920 on a 22 inch CRT. I liked it to be as small as possible. That being said the CRT's were blury (atleast 2560x1920 on a 22 inch) so int hat aspect LCD's are a godsend as even though its small its super duper sharp so 3840x2400 on 22 inches was easier on my eyes and easier to read than 2560x1920 was on a 22 inch CRT.

Yeah, especially because its also 3840x2160 vs 3840x2400 so slightly less pixels as well.

Honestly for someone with decent eye-sight who doesn't mind small text I think it would work great. Of course I was the guy back in the CRT days that ran 1600x1200 on a 17 inch CRT or 2560x1920 on a 22 inch CRT. I liked it to be as small as possible. That being said the CRT's were blury (atleast 2560x1920 on a 22 inch) so int hat aspect LCD's are a godsend as even though its small its super duper sharp so 3840x2400 on 22 inches was easier on my eyes and easier to read than 2560x1920 was on a 22 inch CRT.

My eyesight is good so I think you have provided enough information, My current monitor still has major ghosting and unless I am directly centered in the middle the colours change and can become worse to read(samsung p530). Overall I will be in for many improvements it seems. Thanks alot it was a big help!

Strange behavior with the later driver releases. I cannot select any resolution below 2048x768 when using DP 1.2 and MST. I used to be able to select any resolution (down to lower than 720p I imagine) before recent driver updates.

The big problem with this is, some games don't start at high resolution and exit saying that my display adapter doesn't support the game resolution. I also cannot use my nvidia shield unless I turn off my monitor or change it manually back to DP 1.1 mode (or unplug DP and use HDMI).

Anyone else having this problem?

Has anyone managed to get the UP2414Q working at full refresh in portrait mode? I'm using it with a Nvidia NVS 510 card and it works with MST to get full res at 60Hz, but does not give me the option to rotate the display. I can only rotate it if I turn off MST and drop down to 30Hz refresh. Do AMD cards, or other Nvidia cards such as Geforce brand ones, handle rotation properly?

So it's true after all. One reviewer (Jeff R.) on Newegg also mentions this issue: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260145
Anybody managed to get 60 Hz in portrait?

PS. Is there really going to be not a single 16:10 4k monitor (3840 x 2400)? :(

I believe a 16:10 monitor at 4k will be 4096x2160.

4096x2160 is even wider than 16:9, it's even FURTHER AWAY from 16:10 than 16:9 is.

PS. Is there really going to be not a single 16:10 4k monitor (3840 x 2400)? :(

Extremely unlikely. If there is, it'll likely be a $5000+ professional model released by someone like Eizo or whatever. You can always grab an IBM T221 though~!

Sorry 4096x2160 that is the DCI native 4k resolution. 17:9

Don't know of any new 16:10 4k monitors coming to market.

Nothing anymore will be 16:10. Just like 4:3, it's time has passed.

What about the portrait-mode being only at 30 Hz? Nobody else tried it? That's a deal breaker.

About aspect ratio, Panasonic has a 20" 3840x2560 panel, so 4096x2560 (being true 4k width at 16:10 ratio) is not impossible. A shame that the Panasonic panel is not yet sold as a desktop monitor but only in their absurdly expensive Toughpad PCs.

houkouonchi, how did you overclock your T221 to 60Hz refresh? I thought that 55Hz was the practical limit.

About aspect ratio, Panasonic has a 20" 3840x2560 panel, so 4096x2560 (being true 4k width at 16:10 ratio) is not impossible. A shame that the Panasonic panel is not yet sold as a desktop monitor but only in their absurdly expensive Toughpad PCs.

houkouonchi, how did you overclock your T221 to 60Hz refresh? I thought that 55Hz was the practical limit.

The T221 will happily accept a 60Hz signal, that was never the issue. Also that was even the VP2290b (in the picture), as I have both and that was limited to 41 Hz. The problem is you just get frame skipping. Why run 60Hz you ask then? Well in quadrant mode vs stripe mode (4x1920x1200 vs 4x960x2400) when running at 41Hz sometimes you would get a really weird tearing effect on the monitor.... example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhyklbW2fPI

I later found out running striped mode @ 41Hz fixed the issue.

Has anyone been able to drive two of these at full refresh from a single card? I am using a NVIDIA NVS 510 which claims to be capable of driving two 4k displays at 60Hz (there are no other monitors attached). But the second one always comes up blank.

Has anyone been able to drive two of these at full refresh from a single card? I am using a NVIDIA NVS 510 which claims to be capable of driving two 4k displays at 60Hz (there are no other monitors attached). But the second one always comes up blank.

Wouldn't that with MST technically be 4 displays from one video card? I think you would need more than one video card for that. I would think that the NVS 510 would only be able to do it at 30HZ.

Even if it is possible have mercy on your video card. Give that poor silicon a break ;p

The NVS 510 is a quad-head video card, with four mini DisplayPort outputs. As you say the UP2414Q with MST counts as two logical screens, but it should still be possible to drive two of them from a single card. Nvidia's marketing material suggests that two 4k displays are supported so I was surprised to find it didn't work.

The NVS 510 is a quad-head video card, with four mini DisplayPort outputs. As you say the UP2414Q with MST counts as two logical screens, but it should still be possible to drive two of them from a single card. Nvidia's marketing material suggests that two 4k displays are supported so I was surprised to find it didn't work.

You sure this is not some misconfiguration on the monitor or etc?
Does it work when 2nd monitor is not in DP1.2 (so 30hz) mode?
My 2nd UP2414Q is in the mail and I should get it this weekend/next week, and I really don't want to have to change my mobo to get 2 x8 slots for dual NVS510s...

Yes, it works OK to have one UP2414Q at 60Hz and one at 30Hz, driven from the same NVS 510 card. Just not two at 60Hz. If you have the NVS 510 and technical support (I don't, since mine is an OEM card bought off Ebay) then I expect you could contact support to get it working, since two 4k monitors is supposed to work. Let me know how you get on. (My PC is runnng Windows 7 64-bit)

For now I am doing what you want to avoid - two NVS 510 cards for two monitors. That lets them both run at 60Hz.

Last edited:
Baasha, I see you are using four Geforce GFX Titan cards. It may be that those unable to rotate the display (like me) are using lower spec cards where the driver isn't as capable. What driver version are you running? (The drivers for NVS and Geforce cards are separate but it may still be useful info.)

Yes, it works OK to have one UP2414Q at 60Hz and one at 30Hz, driven from the same NVS 510 card. Just not two at 60Hz. If you have the NVS 510 and technical support (I don't, since mine is an OEM card bought off Ebay) then I expect you could contact support to get it working, since two 4k monitors is supposed to work. Let me know how you get on. (My PC is runnng Windows 7 64-bit)

For now I am doing what you want to avoid - two NVS 510 cards for two monitors. That lets them both run at 60Hz.

Got second monitor and I can confirm the same fail :)
I'll give HP a call and see where I can get with that. Not holding my breath tho.
For me, the DP1.2 failure mode was more spectacular than yours - instead of just blanking 2nd screen, it turned the new monitor into 2 1920x2160 screens (separate in control panel) and made the old (1st) screen a 1920x1080. I noticed the slider would allow me changing it to 1920x2160, so I did, and instead of a half-screen I got a bunch of weird colors randomly cycling. Not cool.

Anyway, went back to DP1.1 on the right monitor for now, and I guess I will need to update my gaming rig and get a microatx mobo with 2 8x slots... SIGH. At least I got 3 NVS510 cards... Not going to run out of those anytimesoon... And hopefully nvidia will have a driver fix?

http://i.imgur.com/mKODy9N.jpg

I'm not particularly brand-fixed, but if there's an sub-50W AMD card that can do dual 4K screens at 60Hz and doesn't take up 3 slots etc, I'm all ears.

Last edited:
NVS and Quadro cards have a decent tech support desk. They prefer you to contact the OEM (HP in this case) first, but if HP can't resolve it you can try asking Nvidia directly. There is an address mentioned in the Quadro / NVS part of Nvidia's site.

I'm pretty sure anyone who spent the kind of cash on 3 4K monitors has no interest in screwing around with half-baked hobbyist excuse for an OS that can barely drive a 80x25 console. Well, at least thats what I think.

NVS and Quadro cards have a decent tech support desk. They prefer you to contact the OEM (HP in this case) first, but if HP can't resolve it you can try asking Nvidia directly. There is an address mentioned in the Quadro / NVS part of Nvidia's site.

Yeah, I'm gonna give them a call. Too busy.
But I think I'm just going to have to upgrade. 16GB RAM in miniITX is annoying too. A few VMs and its screaming at me. At least with haswell upgrade I only need to swap mobo/cpu.

I'm pretty sure anyone who spent the kind of cash on 3 4K monitors has no interest in screwing around with half-baked hobbyist excuse for an OS that can barely drive a 80x25 console. Well, at least thats what I think.
I take it you mean Linux. :) What about OS X in portrait?

Back