Just ordered eVGA 8800 GTS

Skids1

Gawd
Just sold off my 7800GT to a friend and ordered a eVGA 8800 GTS. Anyone have experience with this particular card?

Thanks,

Skids

I have an evga 8800 gtx... the gts should really be the same thing... good quality all round but with lower performance.

I had that card...its very good, super killer. Have fun with it.

Congrats on the buy! It is a very solid running card, however, the drivers need a bit more maturation. I am still getting a bit of the 'slow down' bug with my 8800GTS. Oblivion and BF 2142 still play very well.

i have the evga 8800gts. i like evga's warranty and step up program. Maybe i'll step up to the GTX since prices seem to be falling and I paid $449 for my card.

Yes Im thinking of doing the same thing, and stepping up to a GTX in a month or two. Anyone have any issues with games? (the delay of drivers from Nvidia has me slightly worried)

I had some issues with Farcry on the 8800 GTX, where it was playing in crack-speed mode (the rendering and movement was twice as fast). I realized it was an issue that had to do with adding a line in the boot.ini and promptly fixed it.

I also had issues with Neverwinter Nights 2 console text not being displayed properly. This was due to the nVidia control panel and specifying either Multisampling or Supersampling in the AA. If you leave it at "off" and specify the AA in-game, that fixes the issue.

running the same card. I'm using the 97.44 drivers (haven't tried any others). HL2 Source is the only game I'm using that has minor issues. Nvidia blames Valve and not their drivers. It's an extremely quiet card. Not much bigger than a 7900GTO/GTX. Don't plan on using it with Vista anytime soon...

You sure about that, last time I checked, it was DX10. And the GTS is almost a GTX anyway. I have seen people do some nice overclocking and get benchmarks around what the GTX gets.

Edit: Tae: Vista is not even out yet... The beta yes, but not the full thing.

Proxy said:
You sure about that, last time I checked, it was DX10. And the GTS is almost a GTX anyway. I have seen people to some nice overclocking and get benchmarks around what the GTX gets.

Edit: Tae: Vista is not even out yet... The beta yes, but not the full thing.
Who is your first sentence replying to? Because if you want to see how massive the difference is between the 8800 GTX and the GTS...I will very quickly point you to a thread. :p

Edit: See this thread and my benchmark links: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1132494

Also, if you look down to see the benchmark links the other guy posted (he was arguing against me), you can see that they are 1600x1200 and don't push the card enough to be a valid comparison of raw power (of gameplay at 1600x1200, yes, but not of the theoretical limits on both cards).

I never said the GTS was on par with the GTX. I said, that I have seen people OVERCLOCK their GTS quite well and get benchmarks close to, or at what a GTX can hit. And yeah, when DX10 games come out it wont be as powerful at these settings, but a GTX wont be ether. Then again, there are no DX10 games or "official" drivers, so for all we know both cards are still being bottlenecked big time by not only CPU's but software as well. I mean, right now SLI on ether card is somewhat of a waste because the app/driver support is not here yet. When this support does come out based on what I have been reading around [H]ardForums, CPU's wont matter as much anymore based on the new design of the 8800's core/coding. Don't get me rong, im not bashing anyone here, and this is not stopping me from getting SLied 8800GTS's in a few days. :D

I was just guessing at what the person meant when he said he did't plan on using his GTS with Vista anytime soon.

I am getting a GTX myself this week, but for its DX9 performance more than DX10. Other than maybe checking out Flight Sim X, no game even interests me enough to move to Vista for DX10.

I mean I will get Vista eventually, and maybe sooner rather than later, but it is not why I got the GTX. I want to play Medievil, Oblivion and Company of Heroes at my native 1680x1050 with all the eye candy. Something my X1900XT cannot do. I probably could have settled for a GTS and overclocked it, but I would have felt like it was a compromise. Now I don't have to worry whether I will get a good OC or not, the GTX will do what I want stock. Being a DX10 card is just bonus for me.

Tae said:
I was just guessing at what the person meant when he said he did't plan on using his GTS with Vista anytime soon.

I am getting a GTX myself this week, but for its DX9 performance more than DX10. Other than maybe checking out Flight Sim X, no game even interests me enough to move to Vista for DX10.

I mean I will get Vista eventually, and maybe sooner rather than later, but it is not why I got the GTX. I want to play Medievil, Oblivion and Company of Heroes at my native 1680x1050 with all the eye candy. Something my X1900XT cannot do. I probably could have settled for a GTS and overclocked it, but I would have felt like it was a compromise. Now I don't have to worry whether I will get a good OC or not, the GTX will do what I want stock. Being a DX10 card is just bonus for me.
Yup, and the 8800 GTS overclockers also often forget that you can similarly overclock the 8800 GTX!

Cyrilix said:
I had some issues with Farcry on the 8800 GTX, where it was playing in crack-speed mode (the rendering and movement was twice as fast). I realized it was an issue that had to do with adding a line in the boot.ini and promptly fixed it.

Actually, that is a minor dual core issue.....and like you found, easily fixed.

I had no problems with the GTS. I do not know if i want to stepup to a GTX or get another GTS when prices go down and run SLI....

I do dude, in fact I have macro's....they will be up soon, and thats corrugated board my friend....corrugated

If you want pics of the back of the card in detail....I can take some but I know people have taken these cards apart before. They are all the same really, same BIOS and all.

The HSF is just screwed on to the unit.

factory81 said:
I do dude, in fact I have macro's....they will be up soon, and thats corrugated board my friend....corrugated
awesome, I knew that was corrugated!!

So, what's your apparent obsession with weighing your hardware. Does your case have a weight limit? Are you living in a weight controlled apartment...? :p

I used to sell drugs, and I have 3 scales
One weighs by the ounce ( which you seen) e.g. 3.4 ounces of product or 31.9 ounces
One weighs ounces to the tenth of a gram e.g 28.3 grams
One weighs ounces to the hundredth of a gram e.g. 28.35 grams

Its a retired hobby, and children...never smoke weed.

PS about the case badges...

They're perfect for covering holes you accidentally drilled through your case, then bondo-ing over :p

Back